Why Sakamoto should go to the Olympics! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Why Sakamoto should go to the Olympics!

jinhamasaki

Rinkside
I really think that at least 5 of these girls deserve to go to Olys,I love all of them . I have been thinking: Maybe JSF should consider sending both Kaori and Wakaba at 4cc head to head and decide after that. I know it's too close to Olys and whoever gets the spot should skate the Team event too , but they both train in Japan. No big flight and jetlag risk.. maybe this is doable ?:scratch2:

??? Isn't that what Nationals is for? :scratch2:

Skatefan15

On the Ice
I honestly wish Mai would be named. But since that is virtually impossible, I think it should be Wakaba because we don't know how consistent Kaori will be. She's never been to a competition with all or even half of the Olympic contenders, so I feel like once she would get to the Olympics, she *might* bomb. Or she could do really good:laugh: We just don't know!

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Just one point: Asian open and us classic are not important competitions. They are just warm ups. The competitions later in the season are a milion times more important. I know you are kidding and all, but that is one valid point: Kaori bombed when she could bomb, Wakaba made mistakes (even if not big) when she couldn't. That's a significant difference.
Erm... No... Kaori bombed when it mattered at CoR. That's why she didn't reach the GP Final... (She was beaten by Wakaba at CoR too, BTW!)

Funny how scores "later in the season" are the only ones that count for Kaori... yet, people have to invoke last season's competitions to "prove" that Wakaba "bombs when it matters".

And don't tell me Kaori's CoR doesn't count as "bombing", when people are telling me that Wakaba's 200+ scores count as "bombing"... or that this Nationals counts as "bombing" when she made just 1 mistake in SP and 1 mistake in FS, and her score was barely 1 point away from the podium (and 6.5 points from silver)...

See, we can use carefully selected facts to create any narrative we like, to suit any agenda...!

schizoanalyst

Medalist
I honestly wish Mai would be named. But since that is virtually impossible, I think it should be Wakaba because we don't know how consistent Kaori will be. She's never been to a competition with all or even half of the Olympic contenders, so I feel like once she would get to the Olympics, she *might* bomb. Or she could do really good:laugh: We just don't know!

Not exactly accurate. She competed at Rostelecom Cup against Medvedeva, Kostner, Higuchi, and Radionova. She didn't fare particularly well, coming in 5th and scoring only 194. I don't think her poor showing at Rostelecom Cup should be decisive against her, I'm just saying she's been up against the tops of the field only once in her career and did pretty poorly and it's worth noting Skate America was the easiest GP event by far.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
or that this Nationals counts as "bombing" when she made just 1 mistake in SP and 1 mistake in FS, and her socre was barely 1 point away from the podium (and 6.5 points from silver)...

While injured.
So if producing that, while you're under painkillers is considered bombing, then it sort of turns the story in a curious direction.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
It's so sad that the 'Only two spots' situation created this horrible rivalry of 'Wakaba vs. Kaori'. The decision can't be made quickly enough.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
If JSF goes strictly by the criteria Wakaba meets 4 out 5 and Kaori meets 3 out of 5 (correct me if I am wrong)
Wakaba should get chosen but I read in an article (I can't find it right now) JSF was quoted as saying that they also take into account who
they think would have the highest scoring potential at OG, so who knows what they will do.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
While injured.
So if producing that, while you're under painkillers is considered bombing, then it sort of turns the story in a curious direction.

This is what bothers me. How now apparently Waka "bombs" & "implodes" all the time. Yes she needed to do better , she didn't deliver to the same degree as Kaori did at nationals now, or not as well as Mai at last years worlds - and that is why I understand and agree with the argument for Kaori being sent to the Olympics. But that doesn't make Waka's skates disasters. There is room between perfect and bombing. If Waka's nationals performances were bombing - how many performances this season weren't at all? I don't know, but I'd think like 95% of performances anywhere are bombs and implosions then. And that is, frankly, a ridiculous standard.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
This is what bothers me. How now apparently Waka "bombs" & "implodes" all the time. Yes she needed to do better , she didn't deliver to the same degree as Kaori did at nationals now, or not as well as Mai at last years worlds - and that is why I understand and agree with the argument for Kaori being sent to the Olympics. But that doesn't make Waka's skates disasters. There is room between perfect and bombing. If Waka's nationals performances were bombing - how many performances this season weren't at all? I don't know, but I'd think like 95% of performances anywhere are bombs and implosions then. And that is, frankly, a ridiculous standard.

Exactly.
Considering the Nationals, and how we even got to this situation thanks to JSF, I believe the right choice here is for Kaori to go.

That however doesn't mean I'm not fundamentally opposed to the idea that suddenly Wakaba is a disaster of a skater who bombs left and right, who just "showed up for the GPF" as if you just walk in there. She qualified to get there. If it were that easy to get into the top 6, especially considering the assignments she had, then something is odd there, though it escapes me.

Or last season's Worlds after her own injury during 4CC, she had to fight with Rika who had a very bad one, and had to fight for those spots along with Mai. Is anyone asking why Rika was made to go in the first place for example, instead of say, Kaori? Who created that difficult situation in the first place then? JSF that's who.

Wakaba has her results this year but those apparently don't count either because this, that reason, so when we remove that, then the remaining ones also don't count for ... whatever reason ... and she bombs at Nationals under these conditions. When Kaori doesn't skate well, then hers don't count because um, um ....

Yeah, that's how agendas are created. Omit this fact by "accident", don't give the full picture here, distort this and voila! Shaken, not stirred. Enjoy your martini.

micnow

Rinkside
If there is a criteria like
"Player of the 2nd and 3rd place in the All Japan Championship Tournament"; how can Wakaba be selected while placing 4th?

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
"Player of the 2nd and 3rd place in the All Japan Championship Tournament"; how can Wakaba be selected while placing 4th?
Because apparently the criteria are not exclusive, and they are not evaluated in turn.
JSF can consider any skater that meets at least one criteria.

But at this point it appears to be all about Kaori and Wakaba.

Wakaba meets 4/5 criteria, Kaori meets 3/5.
Kaori seems to be the favourite, but who knows what JSF will decide?
Apparently it will come down to who they think will give the best performance at the Olympics, all things considered.
They might even name Mai (and it wouldn't even surprise me! LOL)

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
So sad that this is gonna end in heartbreak! Even if there were 3 spots, it was still gonna be sad. I'm torn between Kaori and Wakaba atm and I thought at the beginning of the season, Mai was a sure bet to go to the Olympics!

Liasky

Rinkside
So sad that this is gonna end in heartbreak! Even if there were 3 spots, it was still gonna be sad. I'm torn between Kaori and Wakaba atm and I thought at the beginning of the season, Mai was a sure bet to go to the Olympics!

I also think like that, so sad for Mai. Hope she will go to 4cc next year and come back strong next season. Keep her good FS. Change her SP. I hope to see her in 2019 worlds and also 2022 winter olympics. Go Mai!

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I like both Wakaba and Kaori, but think Wakaba should go to Olympics because Wakaba has a higher scoring potential than Kaori in the season as Kaori's first senior debut and hits more bullets in the selection criteria. Wakaba even can aim for the bronze while Kaori's PCS rising is not gonna be skyrocketing like the chosen Russian ladies (undeserving, but let's see the reality). I honestly expected Wakaba's meltdown in the FS, but she only doubled her 3S which can be seen as a sign that Wakaba's control of her nerves at bigger events is improving. Too optimistic? Maybe but some said that she was injured. Kaori is a cute powerhouse with huge jumps, so I adore her and her charming personality, but her FS program is not even half as good as Wakaba's polished one. I can't appreciate the awkward miming that doesn't work for Kaori's character at all. Her SP is very good, so I'm wondering why her team gave her such an unfit free program for her. I'm all for Kaori's participation in Worlds, but think Wakaba fits for the Olympics more.

rinkside_user

On the Ice

Case can be made by JSF that among age-eligible athletes, Wakaba finished in 3rd.