Women and the Quad | Page 28 | Golden Skate

Women and the Quad

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
Coz she didn't attempt one in competition.
Trusova landed her first 4F four months ago. Till now not seen in competition. But we should wait for the GPs.

I know that, but I mean since ISU obviously doesn’t really care about PR quads (ex. Shoma), if Anna lands a rotated 4F it should be ratified.

Arbitrary

Medalist
I know that, but I mean since ISU obviously doesn’t really care about PR quads (ex. Shoma), if Anna lands a rotated 4F it should be ratified.
It could be ratified but likely at her 2nd more or less good landing.
Like 4Lz of Trusova was ratified. The Board agreed to sign the 2nd attempt in Yerevan despite the fact the 1st one in Kaunas was better landed.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Ayaka Hosoda will compete next season and is training quads https://mobile.twitter.com/figureskatingm1/status/1124490892528668672
She will probably have at least a challenger assignement imo.

Sara Honda (12), Marin's little sister, trying 3A and 4S on a harness. 3A needed less support from the rod than the 4S it looks like to me.
https://twitter.com/love__821/status/1124332141435736065?s=20

I'm gonna repost it here. + Tarusina and Tarakanova, according to their coaches, are also training quads and 3A.

That's so awesome! Marin's younger sisters are no less of a stars in Japan, than Marin herself.

By the way, isn't it funny that everyone is learning quads and 3A now, so many juniors and seniors.
A year ago, when Eteri started the trend, people where so skeptical about quads.
And now, I guess people either have to say that most top coaches are ruining those girls, or just accept the fact that quads are the new norm.

And you know, guys, what bothers me. The sexism aspect of quads, when coaches talk about it.
When prepubescent 10 y.o. Steven was jumping 4s and 3a, no one was saying it's ruining his health, on opposite, Brian was boasting about it on his own social media.
But when 14 y o girls do it, suddenly it becomes so much more dangerous and Brian says he's so worried about them. That's so hypocritical, imo.
Taking into account bone and muscle structure differences at post-puberty age, you still have to admit 10 y.o. boy is not any different than 10 y.o. girl.
The effects of training quads at 10 y.o. are the same for both boys and girls, so I don't get where Brian is coming from, when his own student was doing quads at even younger age.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

And you know, guys, what bothers me. The sexism aspect of quads, when coaches talk about it.
When prepubescent 10 y.o. Steven was jumping 4s and 3a, no one was saying it's ruining his health, on opposite, Brian was boasting about it on his own social media.
But when 14 y o girls do it, suddenly it becomes so much more dangerous and Brian says he's so worried about them. That's so hypocritical, imo.
Taking into account bone and muscle structure differences at post-puberty age, you still have to admit 10 y.o. boy is not any different than 10 y.o. girl.
The effects of training quads at 10 y.o. are the same for both boys and girls, so I don't get where Brian is coming from, when his own student was doing quads at even younger age.

I am afraid that this summary is incorrect.

You know what bothers me, guys? Talking about attitudes and quotes to coaches without citing to any articles or showing me exactly where the coach said what. So here is an actual article and quotes from Brian:

http://www.insideskating.net/2018/0...ing-transitions-choreography-that-makes-sense

"Well, we’re at a point where suddenly sport’s evolved, it’s evolving, and you do have a handful of skaters who can do multiple quads. I’m all for moving the sport forward, I encourage that, I think it’s great. But I’m also all for beautiful skating, skating skills, effortless skating, transitions, choreography that makes sense, a blade that runs across the ice beautifully." :cheer:

"Stephen Gogolev. He’s a phenom. He’s a natural. He’s ahead of his curve, this whole jumping curve. He’s an athlete and he wants to jump, but he’s really smart about his body, so there are times when we don’t jump for a couple of weeks, and there’s time to re-do." (my emphasis) :cheer:

Absolutely no sexism here.:scratch3: Brian is worried about every skater, male or female. As every good coach should be, and I presume is. :yes:

Last edited:

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
I'm gonna repost it here. + Tarusina and Tarakanova, according to their coaches, are also training quads and 3A.

That's so awesome! Marin's younger sisters are no less of a stars in Japan, than Marin herself.

By the way, isn't it funny that everyone is learning quads and 3A now, so many juniors and seniors.
A year ago, when Eteri started the trend, people where so skeptical about quads.
And now, I guess people either have to say that most top coaches are ruining those girls, or just accept the fact that quads are the new norm.
Well Mie Hamada, Ayaka's and Sara's coach has never been opposed to more difficult jumps for ladies. Rika Kihira has trained the 3A and Quads for years under Hamada. Hamada once said that when Rika came to her 5 years ago when Rika was 11 years old that she immediately knew Rika would be able to jump a 3A. So it is not surprising that Hamada's younger skaters now follow suit.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I am afraid that this summary is incorrect.

You know what bothers me, guys? Talking about attitudes and quotes to coaches without citing to any articles or showing me exactly where the coach said what. So here is an actual article and quotes from Brian:

http://www.insideskating.net/2018/0...ing-transitions-choreography-that-makes-sense

"Well, we’re at a point where suddenly sport’s evolved, it’s evolving, and you do have a handful of skaters who can do multiple quads. I’m all for moving the sport forward, I encourage that, I think it’s great. But I’m also all for beautiful skating, skating skills, effortless skating, transitions, choreography that makes sense, a blade that runs across the ice beautifully." :cheer:

"Stephen Gogolev. He’s a phenom. He’s a natural. He’s ahead of his curve, this whole jumping curve. He’s an athlete and he wants to jump, but he’s really smart about his body, so there are times when we don’t jump for a couple of weeks, and there’s time to re-do." (my emphasis) :cheer:

Absolutely no sexism here.:scratch3: Brian is worried about every skater, male or female. As every good coach should be, and I presume is. :yes:

Ooohh... I know what I'm talking about;)
I believe he also said this:
[Trusova] is doing quads now: how is she going to be when she’s 17 or 18?’’ Orser also said, “ It’s all fun, with everybody marveling on social media about her, but it could be a very short-lived phenomenon.”

And what I meant is judging BY ACTIONS, not WORDS. Whatever he says about "natural talent" or "re-do", he still has a 10 year old doing very dangerous jumps, that ruin joints every time he lands them. And he's doing them consistently for 4-5 years now.
You can't say there's a safe way to jump quads, because there's no such thing.
Quads put a lot of strain on your joint every time you land them, and no one can change that.

You can't be criticizing a 14y o girl doing quads, when you have a 10 year old boy doing them.
If it came from someone, who didn't have a very small child doing quads, I would get it, but I'm not having it from Brian.
If Brian was really worried for Stephen, he wouldn't teach him quads at 10, period.

All in all, if you're not worried for the boy jumping quads (because you are allowing him to do this), then why worry about a girl.
just makes no sense to me, as if it's more safe for a boy's body, than for a girl's body, which is not true.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why can’t you be criticizing a 14 year old girl for training quads, when you are talking about technique, and not the jump? Of course you can:laugh:

Of courses there is absolutely a safer way to train quads. Just like there is a safer way to train triples, doubles, or anything else.

Now frankly I don’t care enough about quads or the ladies jumping them to know how they train. I don’t follow the ladies that closely and the mere fact that any skater can jump a quad, meh....:bed: but if they ETA: young girls who are having adults make decisions for them] are pounding day in day out training quads, that’s wrong (again I don’t know if they do. I hope they aren’t. All Hypothetically).

And frankly I have no idea what Brian has to do with this, since as far as I know he’s not training (maybe Zhenya some day, it it’s unclear right now) ladies and quads.

But I do know sexism, having spent much of my professional life combatting it, and this ain’t it;). ETA: which is why I spent time on this. I’m not all that concerned about ladies and quads, it’s just the claim of sexism that I disagree with. I will now retire:biggrin:

Last edited:

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Why can’t you be criticizing a 14 year old girl for training quads, when you are talking about technique, and not the jump? Of course you can:laugh:

Of courses there is absolutely a safer way to train quads. Just like there is a safer way to train triples, doubles, or anything else.

That’s the difference there. It’s about a mere fact of doing quads at such young age.
I said, there’s no safe way to JUMP quads.
There are safer ways to TRAIN them, but the act of JUMPING them in itself is harmful for the body.

If ANY person jumps a quad, he’s putting his body through a hell, and that’s that.

(It’s like the difference between doubles and triples is enormous, hence Yuna was doing double loop and not a triple after her spinal injury at 14-15. And the difference between a triple and a quad is even bigger)

If a 10 y o boy is jumping them, he’s going to ruin his body, there’s no other way.
And the longer he is doing them, the worse his body gets.

So I ain’t gonna let this slide for Brian, no.
All those “pre-pubescent girls doing quads is so dangerous ” arguments aren’t working, if you have a child at your own rink doing them, and because it’s a boy it doesn’t make it “safer” for that child.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

Now frankly I don’t care enough about quads or the ladies jumping them to know how they train. I don’t follow the ladies that closely and the mere fact that any skater can jump a quad, meh....:bed: but if they ETA: young girls who are having adults make decisions for them] are pounding day in day out training quads, that’s wrong (again I don’t know if they do. I hope they aren’t. All Hypothetically).

And frankly I have no idea what Brian has to do with this, since as far as I know he’s not training (maybe Zhenya some day, it it’s unclear right now) ladies and quads.

But I do know sexism, having spent much of my professional life combatting it, and this ain’t it;). ETA: which is why I spent time on this. I’m not all that concerned about ladies and quads, it’s just the claim of sexism that I disagree with. I will now retire:biggrin:

For a person who is "not following ladies that closely", what you are not omitting to mention everytime, you come with some note, observation or critique that matters to ladies pretty often (esp. when it comes to a very particular group of ladies and their coaches).