5. Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES
6. Victoria SINITSINA / Nikita KATSALAPOV
7. Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER

amc987

On the Ice
I've got:

Ladies: 1. Medvedeva; 2. Miyahara; 3. Wagner; 4. Radionova; 5. Gold; 6. Asada

Men: 1. Hanyu; 2. Chan; 3. Fernandez; 4. Uno; 5. Boyang; 6. Han

Pairs: 1. Stolbova/Klimov; 2. Volosozhar/Trankov; 3. Sui/Han; 4. Duhamel/Radford; 5. Savchenko/Massot; 6. Scimeca/Knierim

Dance: 1. Shibutanis; 2. Papadakis/Cizeron; 3. Chock/Bates; 4. Weaver/Poje; 5. Cappellini/ Lanotte; 6. Hubbell/ Donohue

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
omg, i hope i am not too late for Dance!!! if its too late just nvm my predictions :( i will complete others later

Ice Dance;
1. Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON
2. Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI
3. Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE
4. Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES
5. Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE
6. Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE
7. Victoria SINITSINA / Nikita KATSALAPOV

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
rest of my predictions! (i cant believe i had front row seat at 1st page but because i did my dance predictions literally last minute i am down to page 9! :slink::palmf: )

Men;
1. Yuzuru HANYU
2. Javier FERNANDEZ
3. Patrick CHAN
4. Boyang JIN
5. Denis TEN
6. Han YAN
7. Shoma UNO

Ladies; wow, this is so hard, anything can happen :dbana:
1. Evgenia MEDVEDEVA
2. Mao ASADA
3. Satoko MIYAHARA
4. Elena RADIONOVA
5. Ashley WAGNER
6. Gracie GOLD
7. Mirai NAGASU

Pairs;
1. Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN
2. Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV
3. Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Maxim TRANKOV
4. Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD
5. Aliona SAVCHENKO / Bruno MASSOT
6. Alexa SCIMECA / Chris KNIERIM
7. Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
omg, i hope i am not too late for Dance!!! if its too late just nvm my predictions :( i will complete others later

You were bang on time! :agree: :biggrin:

(Sorry for forgetting to post about the target time passing. I was engrossed in a snooker match).

Here are my Men's predictions.

OK, because I have been up to my eyes in things, I didn’t even get looking at the entry lists until this morning. Consequently, there may not be less analysis as time goes on!

With the Men, I knew who I was going to put on the podium. But, I hadn’t a clue what order I was going to put them in.

Hanyu and Fernandez have not finished lower than 2nd this season. Yuzu has had 4 wins and a silver, while Javi has had 4 wins and 2 silvers. But, there is a great variation in scores within those results. Some competitions they were being given telephone numbers instead of figure skating scores. Other competitions, whilst they were still scoring high enough to win or at least be second, the scores were quite “normal” in comparison. Yuzu has comfortably the highest score of the 2. But, he also has comfortably the lowest score of the 2.

Then there is Chan. His scores and positions have been all over the place. But, I have a lot of faith in the programmes he has this season. And I wouldn’t discount him being right up amongst Orser’s finest.

After a LOT of deliberation, I decided to play it safe and have them in absolute PB order. It was just too big a risk to put Patrick any higher than third.

I was happy enough to keep Jin in 4th as well. But then came the same dilemma I had at 4 Continents – what to do about Denis Ten. In the end, I did the same as I did then. I again moved Uno and Aaron ahead of him, along with Rippon who wasn’t at 4 Continents. I kept these 3 in their absolute PB order, though.

Kovtun had been between Yan and Aaron on absolute PB order. But, I moved Aaron ahead of him, because Aaron has a much better ISU PB than Kovtun.

The decision now was where to put Denis in relation to the 2 Russians – in front of both, spitting them, or behind both. And, for that matter, which way around to have the Russians. At Europeans, I had moved Kolyada ahead of Kovtun, largely because I prefer him. But, then Kovtun went and finished 3rd, with Kolyada 5th. So, this time, I kept Kovtun in front.

In the end, I decided to put Denis behind them, in 11th. I know, I don’t like putting him that low. But, there are just too many questions about his form.

I wasn’t going to make any more changes, but I really wanted to get Brezina and Bychenko into my Top 15. So, I moved Hochstein and Besseghier out, using the excuse that their ISU PB’s are lower.

Right, I want to go to bed. So, the Ladies will get done in the morning.

CaroLiza_fan

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

Men

1. Yuzuru HANYU, JPN
2. Javier FERNANDEZ, ESP
3. Patrick CHAN, CAN
4. Boyang JIN, CHN
5. Shoma UNO, JPN
6. Adam RIPPON, USA

Just for fun
7. Han YAN, CHN
8. Max AARON, USA
9. Maxim KOVTUN, RUS
10. Mikhail KOLYADA, RUS
11. Denis TEN, KAZ
12. Nam NGUYEN, CAN
13. Jorik HENDRICKX, BEL
14. Michal BREZINA, CZE
15. Alexei BYCHENKO, ISR

tulosai

Record Breaker
Okay, now for my ladies predictions:

Ladies:

1. Evgenia Medvedeva
2. Satoko Miyahara
3. Mao Asada
4. Elena Radionova
5. Gracie Gold
6. Ashley Wagner

ines42575

On the Ice
Country
Uruguay
Just in time (i hope).

LADIES
1.Evgenia MEDVEDEVA
2. Elena RADIONOVA
3. Mao ASADA
4. Satoko MIYAHARA
5. Ashley WAGNER
6. Gracie GOLD

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just in time (i hope).

I hope so too, because here is mine 4 hours 40 minutes later! (Bang on the deadline!)

OK, because I have been up to my eyes in things, I didn’t even get looking at the entry lists until this morning. Consequently, there may not be less analysis as time goes on!

Everybody that knows me knows that it is my dream every year to have a Ladies Top 6 which is completely Russian and Japanese. And this year, I do think it is a realistic scenario.

However, the order I want it to be in may not be realistic.

I really want to put my Queen at the top. She has had a disappointing season by her high standards, and I want her to prove the doubters wrong. Prove that taking a season out was not a mistake.

It pains me to say this but with the form Medvedeva and Miyahara are in, I don’t think even the great Mao Asada will be able to keep with them, never mind beat them.

But, the question is – what way round to put Zhenya and Satoko.

Medvedeva has the higher absolute PB. And her scores are consistently higher than Miyahara’s. Zhenya has done 6 competitions this season, and won 5 of them. Radionova pushed her down to second in the Cup of Russia.

Miyahara has done 7 competitions this season, and has been on the podium in all of them. She won 3 of them, was second in 2, and third in the other. Significantly, the competition where she was third (Skate America) was won by Medvedeva, as was one of the competitions where she finished 2nd (the GP Final). The other competition where she finished 2nd was the Japan Open, which was won by Mao Asada (Zhenya wasn’t there). But, it was only a Free Skate competition.

When you take out the Japan Open, it makes things look even more straightforward. Miyahara has won all her competitions except the ones that Medvedeva has been in. Therefore, the title should go to Zhenya.

But then there is that little thing called pressure.

This will only be Zhenya’s second Senior level Major ISU Championship. And although she won her first, her score at Europeans was actually one of her lower scores of the season. But the significant thing is that it was only half a point higher than Satoko’s winning score at 4 Continents.

Satoko has been doing Senior level Majors for 3 years now. She won 4 Continents this year after finishing second the past 2 years. And she finished 2nd at Worlds last year. She has the experience to cope with the pressure. I’m not sure Zhenya does.

So, with this in mind, I’m going for Satoko.

Second on the absolute PB list was actually Radionova. The only person to beat Medvedeva this season. Although she has also been on the podium in all 5 of her competitions this season, that was her only win. She has had 2 seconds and 2 thirds. And although her scores have generally been better than Miyahara’s, there is nothing like winning to give you a boost. And Elena hasn’t. You could see how peeved off she was in the Green Room at Europeans. She is not happy unless she wins. And normally in situations like this, the more pressure you puts on yourself to win, the less likely it is to happen.

By rights, I should be putting Elena on the podium. But, because I feel that this pressure to win could get to her, I am instead putting her into 4th position.

Come on, you didn’t expect me to leave my Queen off the podium, did you?!

Next came another difficult decision. Pogorilaya or Hongo. My Ukrainian firecracker, or my Irish dancer.

In previous years, it would have been straightforward. Anna Pogo all the way! But, this season has been a breakthrough season for Rika. She has really stepped it up, to the extent that she has overtaken Murakami as the obvious choice to be the third member of the international team.

As for Anna, well, put it like this: there has hardly been a competition where she has not had at least one fall per segment. And more often than not, they have been very heavy falls. Obviously, as a fan, I don’t want it to happen here. But, I’m not taking any chances.

OK, so I’ve a confession to make. It was always my intention to have a Russian / Japanese Top 7. Unfortunately, the Russian-American that I was intending to put in 7th withdrew through injury. Fortunately, she was replaced by a Japanese-American. And whereas putting Polina E. as top American was wishful thinking on my part, Mirai has a very real chance of achieving it. Hey, if she skates as well as she did at 4 Continents, she could even get in amongst the Russian and Japanese skaters!

After Mirai, I had the remaining Americans. And I kept them in absolute PB order.

Next, I had the 2 Canadian girls. As it happened, I kept them in absolute PB order too, although that was not actually the reason I put Chartrand ahead of Daleman. I remembered how impressed I was with Alaine at the Nebelhorn and, at the end of the day, she finished ahead of Gabi in Nationals.

For the rest, I kept them in absolute PB order because it was 5 minutes before the competition started!

CaroLiza_fan

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

Ladies

1. Satoko MIYAHARA, JPN
2. Evgenia MEDVEDEVA, RUS
3. Mao ASADA, JPN
4. Elena RADIONOVA, RUS
5. Rika HONGO, JPN
6. Anna POGORILAYA, RUS

Just for fun:
7. Mirai NAGASU, USA
8. Ashley WAGNER, USA
9. Gracie GOLD, USA
10. Alaine CHARTRAND, CAN
11. Gabrielle DALEMAN, CAN
12. Joshi HELGESSON, SWE
13. Zijun LI, CHN
14. Elizabet TURSYNBAEVA, KAZ
15. So Youn PARK, KOR

tulosai

Record Breaker
And now finally for my pairs predictions:

1. Sui/Han
2. Volosozhar/Trankov
3. Duhamel/Radford
4. Stolbova/Klimov
5. Tarasova/Moorov
6. Peng/Zhang

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
In Pairs, I was really pushed for time because I had been trying to get as much of the Free Dance watched as possible beforehand.

In the end, I only made one change to the absolute PB order. And that was to move Sui / Han up one place ahead of Savchenko / Massot (nearly wrote Szolkowy!) Their absolute PB’s are so close, so it was a toss up. And I went for the Chinese. I would have loved to put all 4 teams onto the podium, but alas couldn’t.

Caroliza_fan

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

Pairs

1. Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Maxim TRANKOV, RUS
2. Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD, CAN
3. Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV, RUS
4. Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN, CHN
5. Aliona SAVCHENKO / Bruno MASSOT, GER
6. Evgenia TARASOVA / Vladimir MOROZOV, RUS

Just for fun
7. Tarah KAYNE / Daniel O SHEA, USA
8. Alexa SCIMECA / Chris KNIERIM, USA
9. Cheng PENG / Hao ZHANG, CHN
10. Lubov ILIUSHECHKINA / Dylan MOSCOVITCH, CAN
11. Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES, FRA
12. Nicole DELLA MONICA / Matteo GUARISE, ITA
13. Xuehan WANG / Lei WANG, CHN
14. Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Michael MARINARO, CAN
15. Valentina MARCHEI / Ondrej HOTAREK, ITA

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
In Pairs, I was really pushed for time because I had been trying to get as much of the Free Dance watched as possible beforehand.

In the end, I only made one change to the absolute PB order. And that was to move Sui / Han up one place ahead of Savchenko / Massot (nearly wrote Szolkowy!) Their absolute PB’s are so close, so it was a toss up. And I went for the Chinese. I would have loved to put all 4 teams onto the podium, but alas couldn’t.

Caroliza_fan

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

Pairs

1. Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Maxim TRANKOV, RUS
2. Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD, CAN
3. Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV, RUS
4. Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN, CHN
5. Aliona SAVCHENKO / Bruno MASSOT, GER
6. Evgenia TARASOVA / Vladimir MOROZOV, RUS

Just for fun
7. Tarah KAYNE / Daniel O SHEA, USA
8. Alexa SCIMECA / Chris KNIERIM, USA
9. Cheng PENG / Hao ZHANG, CHN
10. Lubov ILIUSHECHKINA / Dylan MOSCOVITCH, CAN
11. Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES, FRA
12. Nicole DELLA MONICA / Matteo GUARISE, ITA
13. Xuehan WANG / Lei WANG, CHN
14. Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Michael MARINARO, CAN
15. Valentina MARCHEI / Ondrej HOTAREK, ITA

Not that I think you need to change predictions or anything, but in ISU competitions, it's Stolbova/Klimov with higher PB than D/R. By like 8 points. And just for fun, but I'm pretty sure Vale & Ondrej will be higher than 15 :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Not that I think you need to change predictions or anything, but in ISU competitions, it's Stolbova/Klimov with higher PB than D/R. By like 8 points. And just for fun, but I'm pretty sure Vale & Ondrej will be higher than 15 :biggrin:

Yeah, but I always use absolute PB's for my analysis rather than ISU PB's.

And anyway, I do think Meagan and Eric will be up there. Apart from anything else it'll make it more interesting if they are ahead, because of how Ksenia will react!

As for Vale and Ondrej, I too think they will be higher. But, I didn't have time to do anything below the scoring positions.

I got caught out by the BBC coverage showing backstage clips during the resurfacing!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Yeah, but I always use absolute PB's for my analysis rather than ISU Pb's.

And anyway, I do think they will be up there.

As for Vale and Ondrej, I too think they will be higher. But, I didn't have time to do anything below the scoring positions.

I got caught out by the BBC coverage showing backstage clips during the resurfacing!

CaroLiza_fan

Well, as Ksenia & Fedor fan, I hope you're wrong (nationals score inflated so much), but good to see we agree that M/H are better than 15th place :)

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Stupid me not knowing the scoring rules for Worlds :slink: i will do scoring again tomorrow :slink:

Last edited:

TMC

Record Breaker
I still can't believe I got Javi right!!! :jaw: It was totally based on gut feeling!