Yuzuru Hanyu: 2018-2019 | Page 98 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

WineHerUp

On the Ice
Me too! I had the feeling before Seimei, that it had so much potential to become the best program ever created. You just have that feeling.

Of course, the real worry is that Yuzu has a tendency to bomb ACI Free Skates. He has had magnificient WR SP at ACI, but his consistency during the FS was not that great.

I just hope the Component Scores and his jump quality will allow him to score above 300 total in ACI (not that score really matters, but I want him to score near his usual average scores).

Yeah Yuzuru's first few competitions of every season are usually not the very best, but I've never really cared about beginning of the season results since its always better to peak later in the season. Honestly, watching him skate two brand new programs is a blessing in itself :hap10:. I'm just so biased that I find his skating to be quite magical even when he's not perfect haha.

Henni147

Final Flight
I'm just so biased that I find his skating to be quite magical even when he's not perfect haha.
I wouldn't call this 'biased', since he IS magical, even with flaws. There's enough gorgeous content in his programs that makes you forget about mistakes. His freeskate in PyeongChang is a paramount example ;)

Olympic Channel is on fire as expected: 4 tweets within 6 hours plus a full article :rofl:
https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/s...als-motivation-and-music-ahead-of-new-season/

JuliettaG

On the Ice
I love Origin already and we've only seen bits of it. The music brings me so many memories from my childhood when I was skating (It was the music of one of my oponents and back then I thought that it was beautiful).So I bet 100% that I'll cry when I watch the program life in Helsinki.

About the short, we don't have any snippets yet, do we? Maybe they film today... I look forward to it.

yude

Record Breaker
Yuzuru doesn't watch other skaters' videos very often but he has watched Plushenko and Weir many times, and also Yagudin and Honda. He still watches videos in 6.0 system era (around Salt Lake City Olympics) because he loves skaters' performances in those days. Currently he has been watching Ice dance and Pairs, too. When he studies his performances on YT (he didn't say "YT" but I think it is), he watches a lot of videos on the recommendation list, mostly starts with Plushenko's. Sorry for the short summary.

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20180901-00000111-sph-spo

Fuji interviewed him and will air it tomorrow(Sunday) night from 23:15.

https://twitter.com/SPARK_fujitv/status/1035785758093635585

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I haven't had time to really think about Yuzu's new programs yet as I have a lot of deadlines looming, but the little practice clips we've seen are like water in a desert.
The steps and transitions in the jumps are incredible. I love it already. I won't expect things to be completely ready at ACI, each year there have been issues for him to overcome in this first competition, but I look forward with the most interest to see the costumes. Love or hate them, I just want to see them. :biggrin:

PomeloPooh

Rinkside
hmmmm, the more I think about this the less exciting it gets. I think it's great that Yuzu wants to pay tribute to his idols but coming off a season with programs that were repeated two and three times...I was hoping to see some truly original fresh programs. I'm sure he'll put his own spin on it but since he's announced that they are tribute programs its going to be very difficult not to compare.

Despite people in the English speaking world calling the programs "tribute" ever since the annoucement, Yuzu himself actually has not said that in his interview. He said the music pieces are ones that made him love skating in the beginning, his "origin." He said he chose them because in the past he carried his ambition to win & people's expectations, but now he wants to skate for himself, to simply enjoy skating like a child. Of course the music influenced him because of Plushy & Johnny, and the programs sure are tributes in some way, but there's a lot more than that to his choice. He said about Origin, "Nijinski as a fantastic program will stay forever. Different from Plushenko-san's program, I want to make this program my very own."

Also, I don't quite understand why people (not necessarily posters in this thread) now seem to think that unless you choose music that's never been used in fs before, you can't have a truly original program. To me originality also shines in masterful interpretations of warhorses, let alone seldom used ones like Art on Ice.

But in the end, though we fans and the judges can all have our own opinions on this, the point of the choice is Yuzu for once doesn't need to care. He's finally got his 2 OGMs and can do whatever makes himself happy. That's what I love the most about the music choice :D

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
This iswhy Hanyu is a champion. Always pushing the envelope. he is such a competitor besides being talented Just hope it doesn't lead to injury.

ktmsrkn

Rinkside
Yuzuru doesn't watch other skaters' videos very often but he has watched Plushenko and Weir many times, and also Yagudin and Honda. He still watches videos in 6.0 system era (around Salt Lake City Olympics) because he loves skaters' performances in those days. Currently he has been watching Ice dance and Pairs, too. When he studies his performances on YT (he didn't say "YT" but I think it is), he watches a lot of videos on the recommendation list, mostly starts with Plushenko's. Sorry for the short summary.
It seems like he is watching Youtube, I'm surprised :shocked:. Does he not feel uncomfortable about those kind of clips with click-biting/gossiping Japanese copy on thumbnail :confused: ? I think they appear rather insistently and very frequently with his skating video. It's annoying to see (at least for me)... I always try to hide them choosing “Not interested” on my list anyway.

Yoa

On the Ice
More about avoiding lutz and flip: https://twitter.com/Iron_Klaus/status/1035811891371823105

New interview with Yuzuru where he talks about his first impressions about Johnny's and Plushenko's programs and why they are such inspiration to him: https://twitter.com/Iron_Klaus/status/1035792135583350784
"And although I want these programs to be my original programs in a way, at the same time, it will be a public display of my respect for both of them"
In my opinion, Origin already looks very Yuzuru-like :) He uses layback inabauer as an entry for solo triple axel, spread eagle-back counter into 3A-rippon2T, hydroblade into sit-spin with his usual arm choregraphy.

He loved skating when he was a little child but he didn't really have desire to win Olympic gold. That changed after he watched Plushenko's performances. He loved watching him, Johnny, Yagudin and Takeshi Honda https://twitter.com/Iron_Klaus/status/1035857985770336256

He has wanted to skate to those programs since he was a child but he was also afraid to do it. But after all his achievements and hardships he decided to reward himself.
In an interview from 2011 he mentioned his favourite programs: Yagudin's Winter & Gladiator, Plushenko's Nijinsky and Once Upon a Time in America, Weir's Otonal.

Someone has drawn Origin's step sequence based on clips from media day: https://twitter.com/sorairohituji/status/1035523463367118848

To those who said that Otonal was used a lot 20 years ago. Yuzuru is 23. He started skating in 1998... And it wasn't because he was watching skating in television. His earliest memories of watching skating are from around Salt Lake City Olympics. There's also a lot of fans who became interested in skating between Vancouver and Pyeonchang Olympics. It will be something new to a lot of them :)

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Yes, with a 3A into a twizzle and then a hydroblade into a BA leap into something we don't see. Heavens! Boy be going wild!

Henni147

Final Flight
I wanted him to add 3A with twizzles to a competitive program :yahoo: Can't wait until tomorrow to see more
Youtube version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TThRbR6lYpM&feature=youtu.be
This is so freaking amazing... Yuzu looks so passionate and confident. Just wow :eekn:

Did he make a single mistake yesterday? Fall or pop or any major error? I can only remember that deep landing on the 4Lo, but nothing worse...

Status
Not open for further replies.