2015 Europeans Free Dance, Jan. 29 | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2015 Europeans Free Dance, Jan. 29

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Crap, I knew I shouldn't have gone out and missed this. Sad to hear about what happened with Lena and Ruslan. I was so sure they had a medal locked down, and they looked ready quite steady throughout the season. But yes, they're a new team, mistakes are bound to happen. No reason for the Russian Fed to split them, after they've already had a better season than 99% of new teams.

Congratulations to Papadakis/Cizeron, the European champions! :cheer: To Cappellini/Lanotte, for sorting out their early-season problems. And to Stepanova/Bukin, who somehow ended the night with a medal (I like you guys, but I had you down in sixth in my predictions!).

TMC

Record Breaker
Can anyone tell me the name of the man sitting in the Kiss & Cry with Stepanova/Bukin? I assume he's a coach? I didn't watch their K&C and don't know who their coach is, but my mum keeps pestering me with text messages asking about him because apparently she has a crush on him :rolleye: :biggrin:

s_parks

Record Breaker
Can anyone tell me the name of the man sitting in the Kiss & Cry with Stepanova/Bukin? I assume he's a coach? I didn't watch their K&C and don't know who their coach is, but my mum keeps pestering me with text messages asking about him because apparently she has a crush on him :rolleye: :biggrin:

:laugh: He's Alexander Svinin. He coaches S/B along with Irina Zhuk, the lady in the K&C. They used to skate together.

Alba

Record Breaker
Thank you for a little dose of reality. They're a brand new team. There are kinks to work out. Mistakes happen. If I were them I would be far more concerned with making sure they get a better FD next season.

Exactly. I forget sometimes that they are new and with no experience. Because they are so talented and they did so well their first season, hopes and expectations can be too much, but for such a new team their results are amazing and I'm sure they will skate their best at worlds.

About their FD for next season I think they know. In a recent interview the sounded very clear about their objectives and said they already have some good ideas for next season and said they were going to have programs that people expects from them. So I'm confident. ;)

C/L MUCH improved from total train wreck at CoC. They'll probably podium with it at Worlds but it won't be gold.

Much improved indeed, but I must say I prefer the choreo of their first version, so to speak. They can fight for the bronze at world, but it will be a fight. I mean even I&Z with that crappy FD would've beaten them, if skated well. So it will be tough for them. There are many couples who are going to fight and be able to win that third place. The first and second it will be between W&P, P&C and C&B. I think Shibs are better than C&L, but I don't know about the second place, so let's say they are going to fight for the third place, plus russian couples. In addition to that one of the "surprise" couples, like H&D might have a chance as well. So, it's going to be difficult.

Dubrueil had better watch it. Every program from her teams is softly, gauzily romantic. She's running a huge risk of being one-note.

I agree about this as well.

matcha

Medalist
Oh my, I haven't watched yet but I just couldn't help spoiling myself! What happened with I/Z's free? (I'll answer this myself eventually when I watch it). But congrats to P/C, woo!

Lipea

Final Flight
Congrats to all and esp. to Stepanova-Bukin! They are my favorite couple and it made me so happy today seeing that they ended up with the medal! :clap:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well done by the French; the Italians well with lack of competition deserved to medal but overmarked. So sad about I and Z ; I do think it is too much too fast to expect them to carry the weight of Russia; that being said who knows come world they still may make top 5. I don't think I and K will ever skate again competitively as a team but who knows. I and Z have so much potential (though I do like I and K together better; obviously something didn't click - I don't really understand what happened but there has to be some problem I believe Bukin's dad is the olympic champion - he must be thrilled. If I were I and Z and if they are asked to skate at the Gala I would redo their freedance

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
C/L were placeholders winning the World title last year with D/W and V/M not competing. They simply are not an elite team.

I agree.

The judges should have gone with Pechalat & Bourzat in Saitama for the gold. :disapp:

Tanka

On the Ice
I just watched the last warm-up.

I/Z made my heart hurt. It didn't went well in the beginning and then there was that disastrous lift. Anyway, I try to be positive. Ruslan was the man and he managed to bring Lena back to dance with just a few words (I wonder what he said, but we'll never know). And they didn't give up and tried to dance to the very end.
Then P/C started to skate and there couldn't be a better timing for their dance. It was smooth, and was sad, it was soothing my heart after the previous skate. Just a cure I needed. I loved every part of it. Happy for them to have gold medals.
S/B are young and cute to watch. But I couldn't help recalling the words by some commentators: Stepanova has long legs and knows how to use them. :) Gorgeous legs but I'm afraid I paid too much attention to it. It was a good skate, they had a chance and they used it. I'm waiting for TAT's interview.
C/L were nice. Nice, solid and... that's all. I'm looking forward to next season and their new programs. I believe they can be more than nice.
T/C surprised me in a good way. A remarkable start for them! I have their names in my memory now and will cheer them as loud as I can in Shanghai.

Barb

Record Breaker
I am very glad Anna and Luca is doing better but I prefer the first version of the FD, I am thinking they changed to something easier?
And Sara and Adria were wonderful, the best in my opinion.

BlackPack

Medalist
Anna and Luca..... please go back to Igor if he'll have you guys. Please. What madness prompted you to go to Andreev mama in the first place...

beabstress

On the Ice
Anna and Luca..... please go back to Igor if he'll have you guys. Please. What madness prompted you to go to Andreev mama in the first place...

I second that. Watching C/L this season makes me sad. It's like something or someone sucked the life and personality out of them and replaced it with over-the-top facial expressions and uninteresting programs. I didn't think Danse Macabre could be boring, but I was wrong. I have always really enjoyed this couple's programs! And they seem like such nice, hard-working people. I hope next season finds them with better material and a different coaching team.

turgon97

On the Ice
I really liked S/B's performance. However, I really wish they would hold out those beautiful lift positions a little longer so that we could truly appreciate them- I find myself getting really excited when they'd do something different (like that lift where she holds her straight leg right above her head), but they have to go into another pose too soon. I get that they have do that because of time constraints, so maybe to could have 1 or 2 poses and finding other ways to get the levels, instead of packing in 4-5 different, frenetic, but well-done, poses within the time allotted.

turgon97

On the Ice

Definitely a slap in the face for Marina to not accompany her top (at least in rankings) team, especially since they havent competed in months and left her main coaching nemesis for her.

turgon97

On the Ice
I mean it is visually stunning.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/ec2015/ec2015_IceDance_SD_Scores.pdf
I think they finally got their level 4's this time around for both the SD and the FD.

Their coach actually touched upon the poor twizzle levels they got throughout the season after the SD:

http://www.allsportinfo.ru/index.php?id=89391

""For Sasha and Vanya is the first adult European Championship, they have coped with the debut, - said Alexander pork. - Most of all I want to note their current Twizzle. Prior to that, at the stages of the Grand Prix guys put behind them the first level. We have a lot of Irina Zhuk thought to simplify the dance. But we have consulted with experts from ISU, and they asked us not to change anything. We are glad that listened. And the guys were better able to work on twizzles. "

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
P/C: They weave the performance aspect so seamlessly with the technical elements. I think this is what separates them from every other team. Watching them, it's a complete, perfect dance, not a collection of tricks, even though they have all the tricks in there and they're all well executed.

C/L: One of my wishes was to see them skate well, and they did do that here. Unfortunately, the dance wasn't enjoyable for me. Anna's expressions, of all things, ruined it. They started off with weird grins, and I began wondering what that had to do with Danse Macabre. Eventually she settled on "drama-face!" but it became over-the-top and one-note. The rotational lift at the end was fabulous though; almost wish they could've ended it right there, instead of the bit of choreography at the end.

S/B: While their SD was what first caught my attention, I think the softer FD might be their natural style. Combination spin was superb. They still need to work on skating closer together, but it was less distracting in the more airy FD. I liked the acrobatic lift in the SD, but it doesn't fit quite as well in their FD (I mean, they're on the ones trying to portray a circus...) K&C reaction was fun: Bukin & female coach: OMG, I think we just won a medal!! :drama: :party2: Stepanova & male coach: *chats away like they don't even care* :cool:

I/Z: I thought the beginning was absolutely beautiful. When Ruslan runs after Elena as she "leaves" him... But things did start to go wrong after the twizzles. Still, I'm so proud of them for getting through that: Ruslan knew when to abort the lift, before something went horribly wrong. Yet he still manages to do their final lift where she again steps on him. And credit to Elena for holding it together; must be a horrible feeling, to worry you'd hurt your partner in the middle of a competition. And all things considered, it's just one blip in what has so far been a fantastic first season.

Among the rest... I confess I liked Guignard/Fabbri! I thought the music was fun and they were energetic. Perhaps I just have bad taste, since I'm probably the only one. :slink:

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Wow,don't remember ever saw the French team before. I'm an instant fan of them now! So beautiful and elegant, such great lines and flow. Beautiful programs too! Rooting for the to be Gold at World in Shanghai!