2015 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic SLC General | Page 40 | Golden Skate

2015 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic SLC General

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
That might be what they actually gave him...some of the bottom-ranked guys had scores around there (2.25 for Jordan Dodds, ouch!). But Daniel surely had enough going on to merit something more than a 3. :scratch:

Anyway - doesn't matter...he won! HA!

Well he was SUPER SLOW in the end. It looked like he was walking as opposed to skating. . .

I'm sorry, but what you're suggesting requires a judge to actually read and try to apply the criteria for PCS and I just can't believe that happens. :drama:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Congrats to all the medalists...and Shoma for scoring first in the FS. Let that be a lesson to him to not totally mess up the SP next time.

Daniel is really going places. I hope he can improve his skating skills and spins a bit in the coming seasons.

There was some really nice skating today. :cheer:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Congrats to all the medalists...and Shoma for scoring first in the FS. Let that be a lesson to him to not totally mess up the SP next time.

I wonder if there was more to it though? Nerves are a factor, but some of the jumps looked a bit iffy even in his FS today. I hope that he's not over training, injured or something else that would keep him from skating his best.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I wonder if there was more to it though? Nerves are a factor, but some of the jumps looked a bit iffy even in his FS today. I hope that he's not over training, injured or something else that would keep him from skating his best.

I hope not...I actually don't mind if he isn't his best now, as long as he continues to improve at his own pace. So many skaters who start off strong in the early season hit some serious turbulence from about the middle...one never can tell.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I'm amazed that Keiji made it to the podium here as well...I like his skating but his jumps are sooo hot and cold. I'm happy for him that he can take home a silver. Maybe he will get an NHK slot?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I hope not...I actually don't mind if he isn't his best now, as long as he continues to improve at his own pace. So many skaters who start off strong in the early season hit some serious turbulence from about the middle...one never can tell.

I don't mind either. He doesn't need to peak now anyway. Just some of the errors seem really random and odd, that's all.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I don't mind either. He doesn't need to peak now anyway. Just some of the errors seem really random and odd, that's all.

To me, they seem to be a throw-back to his wonky technique from 2 seasons ago. I had thought he had fixed it last season but maybe they creep back when he is tired or nervous? His legs were not tidy in the air and his landings were pretty skewed in places. --I've never jumped myself so I don't know how to describe it properly. But yes, I did see some old bad habits there.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Not sure if you were able to watch the short dance today in Salt Lake but I was amazed to see Daniel Eaton and Danielle Thomas skate today. After research, I found they are a new team of 5 months-yes you heard me 5 months. Watch Out. They looked pretty darn amazing for 5 months. Keep your eye on them at Nationals.....

Yes, I've been really wanting to see them. Has anyone posted a video yet?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Daniel already won the new Philadelphia Summer International -- as IN's tweet reminds us.

Yes, respect for Philly (Liberty); knew I should have gone!:biggrin: And Daniel in the JGP; men's JGP final should be quite a skate:cheer:

artsciboy

On the Ice
So disappointing to see Ricky Dornbush underperform yet again. Is he destined to be a headcase forever?

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
IceNetwork just tweeted that they will have the full ladies short posted later, so hopefully that means they didn't lose Satoko's program with the streaming problems. I'd be really mad if we couldn't watch it later.

The tweet reads: "We will have the full ladies short program available without interruptions available later today."

That was from 9 hours ago. Still no sign of the Ladies SP on IN. They currently have everything else archived for on-demand viewing (including the Men's FS, which just concluded a couple hours ago).

I'm beginning to think that IN will not be posting the Ladies SP later today...

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I have no love for the Israeli Fed after what they did to Tamar Katz, but I have NOTHING BUT LOVE :love: for their skaters.
What happened? I don't recall I've ever heard that name.
She qualified for the Olympics, but her Fed didn't let her go because they thought she wouldn't place high enough not to embarrass them, basically. They gave her spot up to Australia.
This is not true. The IISF was very much in favor of Katz going, and it was the Israeli Olympic Committee that insisted on the standard that she was unable to achieve. The NYT article that you linked to makes this clear, with Boris Chait stating that it was a bad decision and one that he appealed against.

If you want to blame the IISF for anything, blame them for what appears to be a rather shady business with Andrea Davidovich (and as the results from this event show, Krasnopolski was better off with her than with Tankova), the handling of the Zaretskis' career, the insistence on having almost everyone work with Galit Chait, and their apparent disinterest in actually developing the sport in Israel - until one of the kids from the Eilat rink pans out, the only active skaters who have skated for any significant time in Israel are Krasnopolski and Artem Tsoglin (junior level).

Samohin is indeed awesome :)

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
I'm not going to go through all the previous pages, but did anyone notice that Angela Wang got higher PCS than world silver medalist, Satoko Miyahara! :shocked:Karen Chen also pretty much got the same PCS as Satoko too.

Elizabet - Nice skate, but she seemed to be just going through the motions. Not too emotion in a very emotional piece. Her jumps were also very small. Not too sure if she'll be able to keep them when she grows.
you are the 2nd person who thinks she will lose her jumps when she grows, i am curious why you think that? yes her jumps arent that big but most of the time she doesnt have UR problem, and to me it seems she is jumping higher compared to last year :think:

I'm amazed that Keiji made it to the podium here as well...I like his skating but his jumps are sooo hot and cold. I'm happy for him that he can take home a silver. Maybe he will get an NHK slot?
he already has the spot! bringing from TJ thread
According to this article, Keiji Tanaka, Mariko Kihara , Muramoto/Reed will be competing at NHK Trophy! Very happy for them
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...000104-jij-spo

back to competition, its so sad to see Ricky, but i am still hoping to see him at Worlds :laugh:
Daniel isnt one of my favourites but his talent is indeniable, congratulations :clap:
and good to see Shoma skated better than yesterday

now, my only hope is to see 3 tiny queens at the podium :biggrin:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Amen to that. I stuck it out for most of the events in Asia last year, and my head was about ready to detach and float away on the breeze at work. I think Tulosai skipped a lot of the men's events last season, too.

Yeah I am not the biggest fan of the men... I will watch the top skaters if it's at a convenient time for me and I have nothing else going on, and I do watch/read enough that I have a general idea always of what's going on and that I have a few favorites, but for whatever weird reason I am just not fanatic about them like I am about the other disciplines. Like, if it was ladies not men I would have stayed up.

Recommended viewing:
Danny and Tarah's reaction video after winning the FS and the whole shebang is super-cute. He in particular is just adorable, IMO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YlFSxEiGZc (2:19)​

Aw I really like these two!

Protocols

http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2015/18396/SEGM004.html

Daniel's Transitions/Linking Footwork/Movement 1.00 7.00 7.00 6.75 6.50 7.00 3.00 5.75 :laugh2:

Did they hit the wrong button? Or just super strict?

Could be either hitting the wrong button or just someone who was not impressed...

The tweet reads: "We will have the full ladies short program available without interruptions available later today."

That was from 9 hours ago. Still no sign of the Ladies SP on IN. They currently have everything else archived for on-demand viewing (including the Men's FS, which just concluded a couple hours ago).

I'm beginning to think that IN will not be posting the Ladies SP later today...

Ice Network always makes me sad because year after year I hope for the people who subscribe that it will be better than in previous years, but it never is... If they don't figure out how to post the full ladies SP you guys should definitely make a fuss/ask for a portion of your money back.

Rissa

Record Breaker
Here to congratulate Daniel Samohin on his win, he's my favorite junior this season. He seemed much slower during here than at JGP Colorado Springs but the results jumps-wise were much better. Looks like he'll make it to the JGPF!

That, and I didn't know Shoma Uno could mess up THAT badly.

Also: Kanako Murakami! Awesome SP, I wish she were better at jumping because she's a blast to watch.