2015 Skate Canada Ladies Short Program | Page 43 | Golden Skate

2015 Skate Canada Ladies Short Program

sbaker

On the Ice
Did not wake up expecting to see these results... What a strange event, but congrats to Ashley who blew me away! I had a feeling about this program! Yayyyy! Happy surprise for Yuka too!

And to everyone else... Better luck tomorrow, all the good, fully-rotated, non-splatfest vibes! *hurries to candle store and buys all candles*

peg

Medalist
Ashley was on fire! She skated like a World Champion. Liza, unfortunately, didn't. I though she looked a bit disoriented at times and wondered if she was ok or if there's something wrong that we don't know about. I feel really bad for her, but at the same time, I think she was overscored on PCS. There's no way that deserved better scores than Kaetlyn.

Ah, Kaetlyn. Such a gorgeous start. That 3F3T was a thing of beauty. And even after he fall, she kept up the performance. I just hope she's not hurt

All in all, a very strange competition. I expect we'll see a lot of changes to the standings. Ashley has a nice cushion, but there are no guarantees in skating.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Wow, Ashley was on! And I love the Eurosport commentary too!

Kudos to those few who put Ash first in their predictions. I considered it, but went with conventional wisdom (which in general is not always reliable). Happy to have underestimated how well Ash would blast off in her first GP this season! I had also been somewhat skeptical about her sp would fare. But she looks good and I enjoyed this costume over the one I saw her wearing in a prior exhibition debut of this sp.

Agreed that Tuk should never be receiving higher PCS than Kaetlyn or Ashley, but we all know how PCS are manipulated and often handed out undeservedly.

Oh, but clearly Tuk can pull up with a clean fp. Skaters are never one and done per one performance early in the season. Such overwrought pessimism.

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Liza might be done with puberty monster, but she has yet to face the nerve monster. She wasn't exactly model consistency prior to puberty like Elena. And she was never in the position to be chased by younger girls. Last year was no pressure. This year, with supreme Mao coming back, and hordes of baby jumpers coming up the rank, she's unraveling.

She's now in the same mind set as Gracie Gold. Not very consistent and not very focused. Great technique, but head case.

Final Flight
wagner was very awkward with the forced shimmying- rubbed off as a junior recital/gala piece, but sure have fun. im not convinced by her "hips" or her "chins" - glad she was technically stable though...very smooth and sleek but not spicy or explosive.

Last edited:

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Basically Liza is on a roller coaster. She was up, then she was down, and she was up, and now she's down. Hopefully her upswing will be in 2017-2018.
Somebody please challenge Mao Asada. At this rate, she's running away with the title.

Please don't jinx Mao Asada :mad: She hasn't even been in a real competition so far. It's probably more accurate to say, at this point Zhenya is the one running away with the title :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I am in agreement with the scores (maybe a little unsure about Liza's PCS)... I thought maybe they could've given Yuka higher GOE for for 2A, but then no one else really got high GOE for the 2A except Liza, and everything generally looks fair.

I thought Yuka skated with more drama and intensity in yesterday's practice (which really impressed me and got me excited for her). All things considered she delivered an excellent GP debut performance, and I'll sure be keeping an eye out for her from now on!

Last edited:

Art&Sport

Medalist
After seeing Polina's performance, I wonder why her tech was so low. Does anyone know. Even the Eurosport guys wondered why Polina's tech was so low in comparison to Kaetlyn's in the sp (with Kaetlyn's errors)?

Fine-tooth comb if they are nixing Polina on URs.

Plus, I would not have Murakami at higher PCS than Polina or Kaetlyn.

Last edited:

Taan

On the Ice
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/10/30/156017544
In fifth with 56.85 points is Polina Edmonds, who was disappointed with her scores.
The judges gave her no points for her flying sit spin in her "Moonlight Sonata" routine, choreographed by Rudy Galindo.
"I'm very shocked," she said. "I personally thought it went really well. I did a great one in my warmup, and I did a very similar one in the performance. "

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
I found a tarot reader in the men's thread from someone who did surprisingly-accurate SP predictions. Here's the ladies' report. (Sorry, this is random. And I'm bored. :slink:)

Tursynbaeva: Knight of Wands: The essence of fire, such a great conflagration. One filled with vitality and passion for life. A sexy and exciting person, daring in their actions, cocky in their attitude, and utterly without fear. Absolute sincerity, coupled with violent emotions that swing wildly from one extreme to another. Boundless creativity and lust for a change of both pace and place. The rapid approach, or more likely departure, of something that sets your world ablaze. Often suggests travel or escape.

Olsson: Four of Swords (Truce), when reversed: Restlessness and mental disharmony. Deserting a struggle in progress. A temporary retreat from stress that turns into a permanent rout. A lack of vigilance that could lead to disaster.

Leonova: The Lovers: A caring and trusting relationship. Beauty and inner harmony. A decision calling for emotional control and faithfulness to spiritual values.

Mallet: King of Swords: The essence of air, such as a clear blue sky: A mature leader of unwavering ethics and indisputable authority. An incorruptible judge, whose devotion to the law cannot be swayed by emotion or material concerns. Perfect clarity of thought, directness of action, and eloquence of speech. One who, like a great general, inspires not love or devotion, but absolute trust and loyalty.

Daleman: Eight of Cups (Indolence): Losing interest in a matter deeply important to you. Being forced to abandon something in which you had invested great love and devotion. Seeking earthly, physical pleasures, to the exclusion of spiritual growth and emotional fulfillment. Emotional withdrawal and lethargy.

Tuktamysheva: Three of Wands (Virtue), when reversed: Pride and arrogance. Convincing oneself that the ends justify the means. A great act of betrayal set in motion. Sinking to the level of an opponent. The vain quest for glory and a personal spotlight. Charity or friendship offered with intent of material gain.

Helgesson: Nine of Cups (Happiness): Contentment and satisfaction in romance, friendship, or other relationships. Achieving your deepest desires and savoring beauty and sensual pleasures. A state of joy and abundance radiating fulfillment and bliss.

Edmunds: Nine of Pentacles (Gain), when reversed: Bad luck attending material affairs. Elitism and snobbishness. Lack discipline resulting in the erosion of security and stability. Contempt for the exact labors that brought one to a position of refinement. Dishonesty in financial matters.

Osmond: Temperance: Calm and restraint. Self-control, patience and tact in handling situations. The act of applying balanced spiritual and psychic forces to physical life.

Murakami: Death, when reversed: Stagnation or petrifaction. The refusal to let go of the past. Resistance to change because of fear.

Nagai: Ace of Swords: The seed of victory - perhaps as yet unseen. A challenge to be met and solved through the invocation of force. An opportunity to bring reason and intelligence to bear in the pursuit of justice and truth. An excessive power that must not be abused. May suggest new ideas or information that can reveal a solution to the problem at hand.

Wagner: Five of Cups (Disappointment): Suffering a loss and wishing for what might have been. Being crippled by sadness, grief, and vain regret. Indecision brought on by the feeling that you made the wrong choice. Ignoring what you still have. May suggest a broken relationship or tragedy. May also suggest a gift, inheritance, opportunity, partnership, or marriage, but one that falls below expectations.

I trust this site about as much as I trust how far I can throw my house, but it sounds interesting... :slink:

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
So Tukt is done. Another one of those one hit wonder, destroyed by puberty, IKEA Russians.

Whatif, we just got that brand new like button, which I am grateful for, btw. Don't make us wish for a dislike button, ok?

andromache

Record Breaker
I'm on mobile and can't go through a ton of posts right now, but did someone figure out what the problem was with Polina's spin? I watched live and enjoyed her performance, and I didn't even think her 3-3 was significantly UR. Maybe just enough UR, and judges look for it.

As for spins, there's clearly a problem with the spin evaluation system if someone does what is CLEARLY a spin to fans and receives ZERO points. It just seems silly.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
whatif said:
So Tukt is done. Another one of those one hit wonder, destroyed by puberty, IKEA Russians.

The sky is still above and the wolf has not come. Whew.

Maybe each or every other year she will be a one hit wonder, until destroyed by age and scoffing from the no-hit-evers.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Ok, So i'm pretty sure we didn't get a good enough answer for why Polina's spin got
0 points apart from maybe it was lame, Anybody?

nocturnalis

Medalist
Apparently Polina was either too high on her sit position or her butt wasn't properly aligned with the ice/her ankles. Idk, I think they're keeping scoring open for Osmond.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
After seeing Polina's performance, I wonder why her tech was so low. Does anyone know. Even the Eurosport guys wondered why Polina's tech was so low in comparison to Kaetlyn's in the sp (with Kaetlyn's errors)?

Fine-tooth comb if they are nixing Polina on URs.

Plus, I would not have Murakami at higher PCS than Polina or Kaetlyn.

Polina didn't look like the same skater I've known, and I mean that in a very good way.

The technical issues will get fixed (or they won't), but the presence, the maturity, the calm... I loved it.

Vastly improved.

rain

Record Breaker
Polina didn't look like the same skater I've known, and I mean that in a very good way.

The technical issues will get fixed (or they won't), but the presence, the maturity, the calm... I loved it.

Vastly improved.

I thought she looked like she had grown into her long limbs a lot since last year. The one thing that's still really noticeable about her though is a lack of speed.