2015 Skate Canada Ladies Short Program | Page 44 | Golden Skate

2015 Skate Canada Ladies Short Program

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We've yet to see Elena. She could be a huge factor if she's in the form she was in last year.

I wouldn't write Liza off yet, though.

Well, she shouldn't write herself off, either. Especially after the PCS she was gifted for that awful, awful performance. The judges did everything they possibly could to prop her up.

World Champion or not, jumps or not... that was just horrific.

I really need to snare a copy of that Protocol Sheet to throw at anyone who ever complains that North American skaters get "home cooking" scores at SA and SC,

Franklin99

Medalist
A big congrats to Ashley. :party2: :points: I love her spunk and attitude every time she steps on the ice. She may not be the best of the bunch, but you can't deny this girl is on fire (hair pun intended :laugh2:).

qwerty

On the Ice
ok I loved Ashley's infectious energy, but did anyone else think she benefited from a lenient tech panel? I think a harsher caller might have gone with 3F-3T< and 3L<. Maybe I'm being pessimistic.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
ok I loved Ashley's infectious energy, but did anyone else think she benefited from a lenient tech panel? I think a harsher caller might have gone with 3F-3T< and 3L<. Maybe I'm being pessimistic.

3T definitely looked under-rotated to me...

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I think the tech panel was just excited to see someone who didn't pop, fall, or perform invalid elements.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
...The one thing that's still really noticeable about her though is a lack of speed.

And frankly I also see that she still telegraphs her jumps transcontinentally. [re: Polina].

Last edited:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I think the tech panel was just excited to see someone who didn't pop, fall, or perform invalid elements.

Probably but Ashley totally deserved the score. Her jumps were good, she performed very well, she engaged the audience...sure she did it on a night where no one else was really firing on all cylinders, but is that her fault?

As for Liza T being done/a headcase/puberty(really?), relax people. It's obvious Liza's not on fire like she was this time last year but I think it's way too early to start hitting the panic button. She had a crappy skate. Plain and simple. Now if she flubs up the FS tomorrow, we can be a little concerned but it still won't be time to panic.

Liza T is under a different kind of pressure this year as the world champ and she's going to have to learn to adjust to that pressure and expectation. I do think gold is probably beyond her reach at this point but a strong FS can get her to the podium, probably into 2nd place. I think it's going to end up being Ashley - Liza T - Kaetlyn on the podium, but we'll have to see.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker

I think you're being pessimistic. :) Ashley doesn't usually get mercy calls on her rotations b/c the judges know her rotation is dicey anyway. Seeing how this isn't Skate America or US nationals, I don't think there would be any reason for the judges to be lenient with her. Her jumps looked good to me...

GF2445

Record Breaker
I think you're being pessimistic. :) Ashley doesn't usually get mercy calls on her rotations b/c the judges know her rotation is dicey anyway. Seeing how this isn't Skate America or US nationals, I don't think there would be any reason for the judges to be lenient with her. Her jumps looked good to me...

Yeah, today's technical panel were not so forgiving

largeman

choice beef
Medalist

While I agree that there's no reason for judges to give her a free pass, her 3T does look badly underrotated when I look at the replay in slow-mo... Ashley gave a lights out performance, no doubt about that, but it is unfair for the panel to call Polina's and Kanako's 3Ts UR and overlook Ashley's.

Last edited:

randomfan

Record Breaker
The ISU is really out of their minds now. Not only the solo triple rule but spins too. Whether Polina did get the requirements or not, she still executed a good sit spin yet it receives exactly the same marks as Kaetlyn's flying camel spin which she fell on. I mean, seriously? Polina actually did the spin, and spins may not always be easy. The ISU should do something like "your butt has to be below the knee to receive level 3" or maybe "you need _____number of revolutions to receive level 3" instead of invalidating the whole spin just because ONE requirement was not met, whether the difference was big or small.

I guess it's possible they considered Polina to be too high in her position AND also didn't complete a certain number of revolutions for a single spin but they should still award her for actually spinning.

Scovies

Final Flight
While I agree that there's no reason for judges to give her a free pass, her 3T does look badly underrotated when I look at the replay in slow-mo... Ashley gave a lights out performance, no doubt about that, but it is unfair for the panel to call Polina's and Kanako's 3Ts UR and overlook Ashley's.

I don't know if it means anything, but on first watch Ashley's 3-3 looked fully rotated to me when I watched it live -- it's entirely possible that it wasn't flagged for review because it looked good in real time. On the other hand, Polina's 3T looked suspect to me on first watch, which probably led to a review. The only person who seemed to be screwed by the tech panel IMO was Kanako. Her 3-3 looked great, even in slow-mo. I have no idea where that UR call came from.

After rewatching, I appreciated Polina's performance a lot more. It really is a lovely program. I've seen a few explanations for her invalidated spin but I don't know which one is what the judges went with -- I've seen people say she wasn't low enough in her sit spin, and elsewhere I saw someone say she didn't do enough rotations (7 instead of 8) in the sit position. Can anyone clarify?

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Wow, I didn't expect to like Wagner's SP as much as I did, but the choreography and music is fantastic, fun, and fresh. It is sassy without being kitschy. Wagner was selling the program like her rent depended on it, but never went OTT.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
ASHLEY WAS ON FIYAH! :) and so was Kanako.
But the performance I enjoyed most was Kaetlyn's. Too bad about the mistakes but she looked absolutely gorgeous. That dress is beautiful.
I'm wishing Ashley's costume is a work in progress and not the real thing because it's underwhelming for that program.

Liza's PCS is generous for me. Also, her 3-turn in between 3T-3T combo is kinda befuddling. Idk why they still count that as a combo (not just here but in general as well). Shouldn't the change of edge violation have applied here since Liza changed her edge when she did the 3-turn? Idk. Judge 9 was keeping it real in Liza's PCS. *altho Kaetlyn's score was a little generous, too.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
wow....I've only seen Ashley's performance so far. That is one cheesy pizza if I may say so myself. Good for her for getting such a good score but if that is what mature skating looks like....then I'll take those juniorish skates that seem to have a lot more substance and seriousness to them. Don't get me wrong.....she delivered but I just don't know if it's what I would order especially without a super coupon. I still love you Ashley and the music is amazing IMO. Good luck in the FS.

Last edited:

cptnhastings

On the Ice
Liza was overscored. :( These judges. She had a bad day. Score her correctly. :p It's not like they're gonna underscore her the next time.

I like Ashley's SP a lot. I already like her long, so if she lands her stuff, she'll definitely win. If not, she still might given the cushion.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Liza was overscored. :( These judges. She had a bad day. Score her correctly. :p It's not like they're gonna underscore her the next time.

I like Ashley's SP a lot. I already like her long, so if she lands her stuff, she'll definitely win. If not, she still might given the cushion.

Ummm.... Doesn't that completely fly in the face or your first point? :confused2:

cptnhastings

On the Ice
Ummm.... Doesn't that completely fly in the face or your first point? :confused2:

I don't see how that's a contradiction. I just mean that she has a 7 point lead so she doesn't need to completely land everything and she still could win. If she doesn't land a lot then of course she won't win. She has a bit of a cushion so if she underrotates something it might not be enough to kill her.