2015 Cup of China Ladies Short Program | Page 43 | Golden Skate

2015 Cup of China Ladies Short Program

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
In spite of the URs, I have to say Mao's jumps are much better to look at than previous seasons. She seems to jump higher and has no hesitation going into her jumps. Did the same person design her dress and Evgenia's? Mao's dress is very pretty just not very sure whether it fits the sp music.

David21

On the Ice
I'm aware of that, I agree with -1s for sure (which was what a majority of judges gave it), as the takeoff edge wasn't clean (obviously, Mao has always struggled with her flutz). I just found it interesting that a couple of the judges thought it deserved less than that...Each to their own, I guess.

Mao's lutz took off from the wrong edge and was about 1/4 underrotated. Should have been < and GOE -3 so if anything, she was overscored.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I am doing catchup.
Anna looks much more confident and polished than ever before. Her sp this season is something I can watch again and again. Her skating is very smooth and her spins have improved dramatically. Hope she settles down at current height and improves her consistency from here.

Elena does seem to struggle a little, but judging by her height, it is to be expected. She has grown much taller than last season. Her skating skills also look much better and has a mature look now.

Zijun performed a very sophisticated program, better than I expected. I think stamina is still her monster, which will attack her more in the LP.

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
I found the videos! Thoughts...

Mao: Yay! I love everything about this program, especially the steps. :love:

Rika: I still really like this program, but she does look kind of sloppy and unpolished.

Hicks: I feel like I will never enjoy watching her regardless of what she skates to. Sorry...

Anna: On the one hand, I like this better than her programs last year. On the other hand, I'm kind of worried about her...

Zijun: That was beautiful. :love: Shame about the pop...

Lena: I actually really like this program and her performance and everything she did except her jumps....

Karen: See above. :slink:

Hannah: I liked her last season's FS, but am kind of weirded out by this program..

SY: :console:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Pogo's PCS is ridiculous. She was judoing on ice and was overally messy and somehow managed to outscore Rika's PCS by a point. I think she's more 27-28 PCS kind of skaters.
Elena's has the same posture problem as Rika's. Good speed, decent skating skill. I see them as the same level. You can see next year will be worse, her hip is still not there, and it will be trouble.

Mao is class class class of the field. Her PCS should be 38!!!! If the likes of Chock/Bates Weaver/Poje are getting 9.5 on all components, Mao should be 9.5 or 10.

Honestly, in the current field, if Mao can rotate 5 triples, she should never lose to a single one of them because her PCS should be head and shoulder above everyone else.

Courtney's jumps are so wild, they are like Tonya's. I think this is why she can't control the landing most of the time. At least the international judges are putting her 3rd in PCS in term of the US ladies. Let's hope US Nationals judges won't screw her over for the likes of Polina/Karen/Mirai.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Mao: :love: Love the program, love the confidence. Not really feeling the dress, but it does show off her excellent donut spin (everyone else's looks like a D, hers is an O). Considering Rika's 3F-3T was counted, I don't see why Mao's 3F-3Lo wasn't (yes, there was pre-rotation going on... but that's what happens for loops in general). Seeing a skate like that get 37 Tech makes me miss 6.0.

Rika: She still more work in terms of arms/body movement, but gotta give props to her consistency. Very deserved second place.

Courtney: A little boring for me, TBH. :hopelessness: I know many people love her jumps, but they just don't seem... aesthetically pleasing to me? The air position always looks wild and out of control--like every jump is Patrick Chan's triple axel, though thankfully with a higher "hit" percentage. Still, I can't dispute her placement since the people below her (mostly) messed up.

Anna: It's nice to see her genuinely performing and connecting with her program, at the beginning. However, the middle section really sagged as the mistakes crept in. She did get (sorta) back on track with the step sequence though.

Zijun: There's a lightness and ease to her skating, which I love. I just wish she could combine it with a bit more speed and attack (which could help the jumps too). I thought she deserved a bit more points-wise (around Courtney's score).

Elena: I adore that dress! The program was a bit... COP-in-a-way-I-didn't-love. It was full of transitions but most of it didn't seem to enhance the choreography/performance. Lena is such a wonderful performer; surely there's something else she will connect with more? :think: Regarding the jumps, I actually think that lutz looked bigger than any lutz she did last year... which could be throwing off her timing, causing her to miss the second half of the combo. It's disheartening to see her struggle (there goes the chance of anyone going clean), but I'm not going to hit the panic button yet.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Mao's lutz took off from the wrong edge and was about 1/4 underrotated. Should have been < and GOE -3 so if anything, she was overscored.
Wrong edge and underrotation are already punished in the BV of the jump. Why double-punishment on the GOE?

What if another skater underrotated, took off on the wrong edge, and also put both hands down--how would the scoring account for that jump then?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hannah: I liked her last season's FS, but am kind of weirded out by this program..

That is exactly why I liked it so much. So many programs and skaters are cut/copy/paste jobs. This was a piece of brilliant weirdness. I'm all about that. In fact I'd be all game for a component score that awarded it.

BW score: 9.5

She was very well rounded and if I cared at all about being a PCS warrior I'd start with her first as being the most under appreciated. TBH I don't really care to jump into the rabbit hole that is second guessing the judges scores but I'm moving that program up on my list of favorites this season.

I'm a bit skeptical of her abilities to deliver a good FS but I'm hoping to see it.

Last edited:

begin

Medalist
Lol I was outraged when Mao's score came up but that might've been my excitement. 2 yrs ago they would've given her a << for that 3Lo so I'll see this as improvement from the judges. As always, amazing stsq. This program might grow on me. For now I will say that smiling Mao is the best Mao :luv17:

Still miffed about Zijun getting recycled Lori material but she was lovely as always. Rika otoh has a very original, wonderful program but..she's not the first skater I would've given it to. Her lines and positions just take too much away from otherwise beautiful performances.

Elena's jumps are (predictably) taking a hit from her growth spurt but she's engaging as ever. Pogo seems to be struggling still technically. That tumble was scary. I hope she takes care of herself (no comment about her PCS). Shame about Karen's jumps. Not feeling this music on her but there were good moments like that breathtaking spiral. By far my fave american lady here.

Soyoun :( Her nerves are bringing her down and it's a real shame.

Last edited:

Icey

Record Breaker
Right now we are still in the honeymoon phase with Mao, but she needs to start trying new things soon because it's same old same old. We need to see something different and fresh from her.

Well, I don't recall ever seeing this side of Mao. I thought it was fresh.

minze

Medalist
Her "flat-side" on the lutz is in fact a deep inside edge. That's also why she got an "e" from the judges. But it's still nice to have Asada back with her terrible flutz and underrotated jumps. Can't wait to see her scores go through the roof with that again.

lol you only come out when Mao competes. How hateful

DannyCurry

On the Ice
MAO : Already fantastic (and yet, there's room for improvement). It's so great to see her happy, confident and in great shape. I love the program, and thought the step sequence was fabulous. She might be the only lady skater whose step sequences I enjoy watching. I didn't know what to expect with that music choice but she made me love the program.

Rika : She looked solid but she's not pleasant to watch. Actually, I can't find anything in her program or skating that I enjoyed. I stopped watching after her ugly layback spin. Also, could there please be some mandatory deduction for ugly boots?

Courtney : She and her skating are not pleasing to the eyes either, and I stopped watching after the layback spin for her as well.

Radionova :
I don't like the dress, and she should get a deduction for skating to Lara Fabian's "Je t'aime" (btw, did anyone else notice it was mispelled as "Jotem"?!!). I stopped watching when she started her step sequence.

So, the only program I really watched entirely was Mao's, but I watched it several times xD
Actually, I could watch it again haha

Leonardo

Final Flight
I just need to point that Mao is my HERO for trying this insanely difficult sp layout, the most difficult EVER in ladies figure skating. And she hit it, after a long absence from competitions. Unbelievable.

loopy

Final Flight
Mao skated so effortlessly. I had so much fun watching her program. Sometimes I feel a short program is just required element after required element and it feels hurried. Her skate felt like it was an exhibition in the best way. A really, really talented fun show. Her step sequence was delightful. Lovely from start to finish! It all felt so connected.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Mao was always a fierce competitor. She just continues to challenge herself even though she doesn't have to!

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
*cough* I Got Rhythm *cough*

Doesn't matter though, I like this program more. And she did all the jumps in that crazy SP layout!

Her short program reminded me of "I got Rhythm" too!