2015 NHK Ladies Short Program | Page 37 | Golden Skate

2015 NHK Ladies Short Program

Ophelia

Record Breaker
She's not that kind of skater, sorry if you can't see that. If she simply wanted to win, she would make easier choices, not challenge herself everytime with that crazy difficulty, she wouldn't re-learn technique from scratch, she would skip the grand prix events and so on. Asada is a warrior, and her biggest challenge is overcoming her own limitations.

She had to relearn her technique bc URs were costing her too many points and wasn't competitive with Kim, no matter how high her planned BV was (2010). Long-term plan for 2014 and beyond, which is smart bc her URs are still costing her points. Good for her for challenging herself, but even with an "easier" program, she's not going to cakewalk through to a win with the Russians in the equation. Might as well shoot for highest BV and hope for the best.

If she's skating purely for the love of skating, exhibitions are calling. A skater return to competition to WIN. Esp. Asada given how many times she reiterated her commitment to retirement pre-Sochi. She's also stated that her current goal is 2018. Whether or not she's able to make it is another question.

Before I get called a hater, I think Asada's skating itself is exquisite and a sheer pleasure to watch (when she's on).

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mao performed brilliantly, but I think her 3-3 looked UR on both jumps to me. I think Mirai should be ahead of her. Mirai's 3T was at most borderline, at least to my eyes.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I enjoy Ashley's programs and agree with the placements but her programs are almost devoid of traditions. Oh wait. Are we counting her ott facial expressions as transitions again? Also, Celine Dion or Streisand don't "dance and sing" either. She will also NEVER get 140+ let alone near her Nationals joke score in international competition, no matter how much she gyrates around...

Max...........You always say something cool. You know who else are TERRIBLE Dancers. I say this with love but The late Whitney Houston and Miriah Carey are BOTH devoid of dance talent. I've seen it with my own two eyes. In Celine's defense, I've never seen her try to pull off a dance video and the closest she ever came to trying that I remember is in this video.

That's the way it is. By Celine Dion.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6wbugWrfLU

When this video came out, one of the first things people noticed was that Celine had called Jennifer Aniston's Stylist for this Video. You can totally tell when you see it.

Last edited:

FS_rrb

On the Ice
ITA. I guess she is just lucky with her placement since the competition held in her country. You have to have real talent. You can not get the medal with money or cheated the jumps all the time. That's why she never win OGM.

I know I should ignore trolls like this but I can't help but feel sorry for the author of such a pathetic comment...poor thing

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
I know I should ignore trolls like this but I can't help but feel sorry for the author of such a pathetic comment...poor thing

Honestly, if Mao has "no talent", then we're all in real trouble...

Amei

Record Breaker
Anna was really hard to watch you are in a way lucky you missed it :( I really hope she's not actually injured and that she'll be able to recover in the long and pull up from 11th :( It really is heartbreaking.

I started watching the ladies and Anna broke my heart - it's never a good thing when the 'freeze frame' of the Youtube video is of you facedown on the ice. The positive, last year everyone was commenting about her coach ignoring her in the K&C, she was at least trying to comfort her somewhat today.

So happy for Mirai though - very good skate from her, that skate was magical, I loved it.

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
I started watching the ladies and Anna broke my heart - it's never a good thing when the 'freeze frame' of the Youtube video is of you facedown on the ice. The positive, last year everyone was commenting about her coach ignoring her in the K&C, she was at least trying to comfort her somewhat today.

So happy for Mirai though - very good skate from her

I actually do think Anna's relationship with her coach seems to have improved in general, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be translating positively to her skating :( They in general have seemed a lot more 'connected' in the K&C this year, I feel- talking more and seeming more involved with each other if that makes sense.

FS_rrb

On the Ice
Honestly, if Mao has "no talent", then we're all in real trouble...

Well, Enidan's comment shouldn't be taken seriously. Nevertheless, it would be good to see her/him posting more...only to show us what real talent is about.

Back to serious things. I'm not a big fan of Ashley's skating, but she can really sell her programs. I admire that quality of hers, she never gives up and you can see her fire and determination. I don't agree with Ashley scoring more that Mao in skating skills, that's just not correct. However, it's true that when Mao is worried or nervous her performance is clearly affected. In some way, I can understand judges giving her lower PCs for that reason.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
What a disaster of a competition was that? I was shaking my head through all of this. For every skater I thought well, that leaves the door open for the next one! And only Satoko really delivered. And no matter what, I can't find her that special so I was a bit disappointed in Mao, Ashley and especially Anna. Oh, what the hell is wrong with this girl. So much talent and such a disaster skate. She is often hit or miss, but this was her chance and she screwed it up completely. Even her stone faced coach was gentle in the knc. I'm curious if she'll even compete tomorrow. She's a fighter, that's for sure, but I wonder if it is good for her in the long run to show her emotions like this. Hard to say.

tulosai

Record Breaker
What a disaster of a competition was that? I was shaking my head through all of this. For every skater I thought well, that leaves the door open for the next one! And only Satoko really delivered. And no matter what, I can't find her that special so I was a bit disappointed in Mao, Ashley and especially Anna. Oh, what the hell is wrong with this girl. So much talent and such a disaster skate. She is often hit or miss, but this was her chance and she screwed it up completely. Even her stone faced coach was gentle in the knc. I'm curious if she'll even compete tomorrow. She's a fighter, that's for sure, but I wonder if it is good for her in the long run to show her emotions like this. Hard to say.

Of course she'll compete tomorrow- the Russian girls are all tough, she's not going to give up.

deneuved

On the Ice
OK, I'm no expert when it comes to the edge quality, but I am much more entertained by Ashley's programmes than anything by Mao. I never understood why she is so popular. Apart from her 3A, there is nothing of remote interest for me. I also prefer all Russian skaters to her.

adelia

Record Breaker
I actually do think Anna's relationship with her coach seems to have improved in general, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be translating positively to her skating :( They in general have seemed a lot more 'connected' in the K&C this year, I feel- talking more and seeming more involved with each other if that makes sense.
There's only so much a coach can do for you if the problems are related to mental stress.

mrrice

Record Breaker
tulosai;1301016 The Russian girls are all tough said:
Yes they are. Look at Leonova and though you're all sick of me talking about her......Maria Butyrskaya never gave up even though almost everyone told her she should hang up her skates long before she won her world title in 1999. They'll be back.......:agree:

Lipea

Final Flight

What is even more disappointing is that it now looks like Liza won't be in the Final...:noshake: how unfair...

Amei

Record Breaker
What is even more disappointing is that it now looks like Liza won't be in the Final...:noshake: how unfair...

How is it unfair? She skated poorly. If it's unfair that she's not in the GPF because of a poor skate then its also unfair for every other skater that didn't skate well enough to earn the points to get into the GPF

Lipea

Final Flight
How is it unfair? She skated poorly. If it's unfair that she's not in the GPF because of a poor skate then its also unfair for every other skater that didn't skate well enough to earn the points to get into the GPF

It is unfair because after the LP she very likely would be 2nd in TEB (for her there was really noone to lose silver because all skaters between her and Gracie are known for rather weak LPs, and she is opposite throughout her whole career). Two silvers would easily grant her place in the final. I think it is ridiculous that World Champion and last year GP Final champion loses her spot because of the circumstances that have nothing to do with her performances.

Lipea

Final Flight

I am also sure that if she would have known in advance that her placement would be only by SP, she would perform better because then, most likely, they would not include 3a in the short and instead concentrated on all other elements.
Every other lady either was not affected or benefited from this situation in terms of the placement.

moriel

Record Breaker
It is unfair because after the LP she very likely would be 2nd in TEB (for her there was really noone to lose silver because all skaters between her and Gracie are known for rather weak LPs, and she is opposite throughout her whole career). Two silvers would easily grant her place in the final. I think it is ridiculous that World Champion and last year GP Final champion loses her spot because of the circumstances that have nothing to do with her performances.

+1000 on that.
As for skating poorly, we may as well take Mao out of GPF because omg she is 4th on NHK. She skated relatively poorly, she deserves to be out, right? Then why Liza deserves to be out because of 1 poor skate?

Last edited: