2016 World Championships Pairs Free Skate | Page 59 | Golden Skate

2016 World Championships Pairs Free Skate

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Okay...perhaps you're too chilled to be warm? In case you missed it, a great event in Boston today, and the cream rose to the top, Then again, seasons being what they are, you might be more focused on the ...Fall.

Are you trying to be punny? :scratch2:

Does it bother you my statement that the event was underwhelming? To ME? I did mention that I don't have a problem with the podium, but if you're happy everyone else mimicked the wrong season in Boston and your favorites won, that's fine by me. If it's difficult to understand, I'll say it again: No problem with the podium. But if I want excitement I certainly won't be re-watching anything that happened this afternoon.

:confused2:

Alex D

Record Breaker
Thank you! I already love everything about GS!
And I am sorry, my English is not perfect, but of course, I would comment as much as possible☺As I can see, about this competition - pairs, of course, everybody upset about no medal for Russians, but it was fair. As Stolbova says after SP - "our skating was not ideal, so our marks were the same. "
No this fall, there will be a bit another scenery, as I beleive

привет :thumbsup: You can always ask if you have questions, I like Russian people ;)

Luba and Dylan and Kristen and Michael also had a good night. I am particularly fond of Luba and Dylan. They are technically good and bring a strong personality to the ice. Kristen has a million dollar smile and I must say that Michael looks more stable and comfortable. I used to close my eyes when he lifted her but he really seemed to have a solid base for her today.

I agree with what you said. Very nice pairs these two are and yes, Luba has muscles :laugh:

@ competition,

For me, the result is about right and congratulations to the three Canadian teams, very impressive today, happy for Aliona and Bruno too, after all the obstacles they had. I enjoyed Ksenia and Fedor a lot, the program is very well choreographed and perfectly interpreted. In that regard, they were a class of their own for me unmatched today - but the program had errors sadly. Tati & Max, were hard for me, I just wanted to cry.

Now I run, before I am dragged into your fighting here :D The Ladies are next and you all know what this means for me. :scratch2: :eeking: :luv17:

Last edited:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Are you trying to be punny? :scratch2:

Does it bother you my statement that the event was underwhelming? To ME? I did mention that I don't have a problem with the podium, but if you're happy everyone else mimicked the wrong season in Boston and your favorites won, that's fine by me. If it's difficult to understand, I'll say it again: No problem with the podium. But if I want excitement I certainly won't be re-watching anything that happened this afternoon.

:confused2:

I will be watching in skating bliss, again and again! Surfs up, Coldblueeyes, don't be fooled by...reality!

OJuliaA

Rinkside
привет :thumbsup: You can always ask if you have questions, I like Russian people ;)

I agree with what you said. Very nice pairs these two are and yes, Luba has muscles :laugh:

@ competition,

For me, the result is about right and congratulations to the three Canadian teams, very impressive today, happy for Aliona and Bruno too, after all the obstacles they had. I enjoyed Ksenia and Fedor a lot, the program is very well choreographed and perfectly interpreted. In that regard, they were a class of their own for me unmatched today - but the program had errors sadly. Tati & Max, were hard for me, I just wanted to cry.

Now I run, before I am dragged into your fighting here :D The Ladies are next and you all know what this means for me. :scratch2: :eeking: :luv17:

Oo, hello in Russian :)
Nice to meet you! Are there many Russians? Ask can see this forum is used internationally, in many countries?

Alex D

Record Breaker
Luba and Dylan and Kristen and Michael also had a good night. I am particularly fond of Luba and Dylan. They are technically good and bring a strong personality to the ice. Kristen has a million dollar smile and I must say that Michael looks more stable and comfortable. I used to close my eyes when he lifted her but he really seemed to have a solid base for her today. Not so great for the Americans. I was not a fan of the Elizabeth LP for Alexa and Chris. He seems tentative especially with his jumps and she runs hot and cold with her end of the elements. There seems to be a maturity issue to me with Alexa; either she is all giggly or edgy. Good luck with that, Chris! Tarah and Danny, too, seemed off this competition. Lucky they did well enough to keep 2 spots for next year. But I do think that Castelli and Tran are ready to take one of those!

Thank you! I already love everything about GS!
And I am sorry, my English is not perfect, but of course, I would comment as much as possible☺As I can see, about this competition - pairs, of course, everybody upset about no medal for Russians, but it was fair. As Stolbova says after SP - "our skating was not ideal, so our marks were the same. "
No this fall, there will be a bit another scenery, as I beleive

Oo, hello in Russian :)
Nice to meet you! Are there many Russians? Ask can see this forum is used internationally, in many countries?

There are quite a few and they are very passionate too.

DannyCurry

On the Ice
Did you really expect them to skate like they did at GPF? They've been out of competition for over three months due to injury, which prevented them from training certain moves for weeks. Bearing that in mind, I thought they did quite okay today (not so much yesterday, I admit). They had a fall, but they looked much more relaxed and Fedor in particular looked a lot better today and showed his cute smile. It was probably nerves yesterday, but they have shown that they are back in the mix. I hope Fedor takes time to heal properly during the break and they'll have a great next season.

I do not know much about his injury because I don't follow FS or them as closely as others. However, since I love this team and their innovative LP this season, I did wish they would skate better.
To be honest, I didn't have any expectation for the pairs today, except for Scimena & Knierim who, as expected, did not skate well.

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
Max just tweeted "Простите... Sorry..." and it broke my heart a little. :(
They weren't perfect, but it's still sad to see them so disappointed in themselves.

Last edited:

DannyCurry

On the Ice
https://adivinesport.wordpress.com/...ary-on-the-pairs-event-at-2015-worlds-part-1/

Essentially he was quite critical of Duhamel and Radford while commentating on the worlds last year. In other instances (interviews etc.) he was also very negative about Meagan and Eric. I don't completely disagree with everything he said, but I don't think it is appropriate to say things like that about a competitor.

Well, thank you for the link.
I don't find Trankov's comments particularly offensive, apart from the juniorish lift haha. Actually, it seems that he also said many positive things on the skaters (D&R included).

tvuckic16

Final Flight
If I cared enough I would say that Kolyada and Stolbova would have been on the podium if this championship was held in Europe. And that' what I find jarring about this sport. There is too much environmental factors influencing the outcome in direct or indirect way.

Possibly. I think that is open to interpretation. Koyada and Stolbova didn't clinch it, leaving room for geographical influences, which really means, it could have gone either way and they were by no means a shoe in for a medal. They want to medal, next time they need to do well enough to leave no doubt and win it.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
My highlight though is Sui/Han's amazing SP. The applause tore the roof off. Considering most of the audience was pro-USA and pro-Canada, I'm glad they showed S/H just as much, if not more support :)

I rewatched that Spanish Romance SP like 7 times last night. It was an absolute gem, and I think it will become their signature program like Michelle's Rach2.

My favorite parts are actually not their big tricks, but rather all the in-betweens. Wow, felt like its been forever since I've used that word! That punctuate at the beginning of the lift, timed to the punch of music; the head tilt right before death spiral... and the part I rewind over and over (that curved arm move @1:38-1:39 after the throw and before the combo spin). A move that took ONE second in a 2m40s program, was the freaking highlight for me. Maybe because it reminds me of Elena+Anton. :laugh:

It has everything I missed from the 6.0 era of pairs. You know, back when skaters take their time with moves and positions, instead of the more common style of "let's cram as many things in as possible for points" we get nowadays.

Ice Diva

On the Ice
WeakAnkles I am not really sure what it is that makes D/R come across as so distasteful. I can tell you that I am fine with no romantic chemistry. It is not that. I never felt that from my favorites (i.e. Aliona in pairs, D/W in dance, Carolina Kostner (romanticism, romantic) etc. They just seem crass, rude. She lacks feminine grace and he doesn't supplement for her lack of graciousness. Anyway, it is a visceral dislike of who I perceive them to be as people. And also, they just look rough as they skate. If I had to choose their polar opposites - it would have to be the French ice dancers G/P. There is a quality, an art to their skating that seems to emanate from their beings. With D/R it's more of a sense that their 'ugly' looking skating is a result of their abrasive personalities. But again, I admit fully that it is more of a 'sense' than a 'logical explanation' that makes me feel the way that I do about them. With that said, I really want to watch the FS to see if I get into it :)!

:( And I find your comments very tasteless and crass, your innuendo ugly and sad. What is "feminine grace" - some construct from the 1850s or 1950s? Is there a secret rule that "female skaters must deport themselves with the utmost feminine grace at all times ...?" Or is that just your rule? As for Connection - that doesn't need to be romantic; brothers and sisters have it when they skate together and thus, it can be just the spark of friendship, mutual respect between two skaters. Now S/K, for all their lovely lines, seem to completely lack connection. What emanates from D/R's beings is their passion for the SPORT, their love of being on the ice. So Meghan doesn't have the perfect, balletic (Russian) body held as the standard by many? I admit I prefer the balletic body but there's also nothing wrong with a boxier, more athletic body. Can't help what you are born with. And this is a sport. Moreover, what you call abrasiveness, many would see as enthusiasm and effusiveness. This is the Worlds after all. Emotions are high. Just saying ...

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
:confused:

I didn't question your choice of favorites, but I question your comprehension skills.

Nothing wrong with comprehension here. From what I saw today, the podium clearly was representative of the top teams. Reality can be a b., or, ...hard to swallow sometimes. I understand you' re disappointed in your favorites inability to perform when it counts, but don't blame others, for their lack of success!

P.S. Note to self - your rose-coloured glasses, may need replacing soon

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Possibly. I think that is open to interpretation. Koyada and Stolbova didn't clinch it, leaving room for geographical influences, which really means, it could have gone either way and they were by no means a shoe in for a medal. They want to medal, next time they need to do well enough to leave no doubt and win it.

Kolyada did as well as he could. He was outjumped by Jin.

Stolbova and Klimov had a bad twist in the SP, an error on their 3-3-1 combo which also killed the GOE and of course the fall.

Skaters should win based on how they skate not where they skate so it's a silly point to say Kolyada (who didn't have the tech of Jin) and S/K (who made errors) lost because it wasn't held in Europe. After all, the French team won against two American teams in the US, so it's not like Worlds is anti-European.

In fact looking at Kolyada's PCS, he was rewarded suitably. And given their fall and errors (and general meh FS), S/K also got some help on PCS (including 9.5 for performance/execution, with a fall).

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
It's just sickening that a pair like D/R are twice world champions but a pair like V/T are only once. I can't complain the end though because they have the Olympic Gold, which is worth it's weight in two worlds. D/R have okay performance but the quality is even less impressive in person, and again, I was close to the ice. How in the hell they got 10s is outrageous. But I feared this given the panel and the location.

Sui/Han absolutely let this slip through their fingers and allowed D/R to win. Their quality and skating skills are miles above D/R. Meagan is a lovely girl, I met her, but the skating leaves much to be desired.

Also met Alexa and Chris briefly. I thought they did a good job and are not a bad pair at all, despite the mistakes.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
It's just sickening that a pair like D/R are twice world champions but a pair like V/T are only once. I can't complain the end though because they have the Olympic Gold, which is worth it's weight in two worlds. D/R have okay performance but the quality is even less impressive in person, and again, I was close to the ice. How in the hell they got 10s is outrageous. But I feared this given the panel and the location.

Sui/Han absolutely let this slip through their fingers and allowed D/R to win. Their quality and skating skills are miles above D/R. Meagan is a lovely girl, I met her, but the skating leaves much to be desired.

Also met Alexa and Chris briefly. I thought they did a good job and are not a bad pair at all, despite the mistakes.

Alexa and Chris would be a gifted bronze medallist in Canada today. Their inconsistency in jumps/throws/twists/programs are killers, Max. Give me the exquisiteness of Lubov/Dylan, or the charm of Julianne/Charlie, any day!

Last edited:

ericka141

On the Ice

V/T have only been world champions once because they did not step up and perform their technical elements. Sorry, but it's just the way it is- PCs are important but when you don't have the jumps, you don't get the win. V/T are my favourite pair when they are on, but they in no way performed in a way today to justify even a medal- they looked slow, tired, and did not complete their elements. We don't award medals based on potential.