Great Men's Programs without quads | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Great Men's Programs without quads

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Speaking of Adam Rippon, was his 4Lz in his worlds FP this year downgraded or just under rotated? Because that was a pretty great performance, but it wouldn't count for this thread if the 4Lz was ratified. I tried and failed to find the judge's scores, so I give up. ;)

mrrice

Record Breaker
Speaking of Adam Rippon, was his 4Lz in his worlds FP this year downgraded or just under rotated? Because that was a pretty great performance, but it wouldn't count for this thread if the 4Lz was ratified. I tried and failed to find the judge's scores, so I give up. ;)

That's actually a great question. If it was ratified, I will add Adams 2010 4CC LP when he jumped from 7th to 1st and won his first big international event as a senior. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0bIVfuh3-I

Erin S

Rinkside
This is my all-time favorite Brian Boitano skate. He said once that he'd stand in the wings watching his friend perform it for the thousandth time and find ways to make it new, to get inspiration to skate the program again. He says in an interview at the end of this video that he thinks he's a better skater then, than as an amateur.

this comment is written by Deborah Meyer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7v1IG-UaOY

I had to weigh in on this thread to say some stuff about Boitano. Skylark, I agree with you completely that this routine is one of the most satisfying men's programs of all time, professional or amateur. Boitano, like literally no one who has skated to this music since (Takahashi and Meryl/Charlie came the closest) actually capture what was so breathtaking about that soundtrack in the first place. I was an 80's brat and adored Lloyd Weber, but even I groan when people skate to it now. Not only is it overdone but it's just not good music for the COP. Boitano embodied this music in a way that would be almost impossible now. The poetry of his jumps, without the pressure off having to rattle quite so many off, the purity of his lines, the breathtaking moments he creates with the death drop and the spread eagle--he really was the greatest at this type of skating, and it's something I dearly miss. I don't think there is a way to skate to POTO under the current scoring system in a way that captures what was brilliant about that music. Also, there's something about Boitano's skating (which might also be true of Browning's but no one else I can really think of) that has this universally accessible, gentlemanly sexiness. He combines grace and masculinity in such a unique way. My nerdy girlfriends and gay friends equally loved him back in the 80's/90's and so did my former football-player dad who got into skating because of me and ended up totally fan-boying Boitano. On the one hand I love skaters who have a really specific appeal, and put their own, unique mark on the sport. But Boitano, for me at least, was sui generis in his easy display of absurd atheleticism, combined with effortless passion and drama that kind of spoke to everyone who watched it. People should have stopped skating to POTO after him. Even after all these years of POTO overkill, I can watch this performance and be moved to tears like I'm a 90's high school kid all over again. :) I can't think of a better skater to start this thread with.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I had to weigh in on this thread to say some stuff about Boitano. Skylark, I agree with you completely that this routine is one of the most satisfying men's programs of all time, professional or amateur. Boitano, like literally no one who has skated to this music since (Takahashi and Meryl/Charlie came the closest) actually capture what was so breathtaking about that soundtrack in the first place. I was an 80's brat and adored Lloyd Weber, but even I groan when people skate to it now. Not only is it overdone but it's just not good music for the COP. Boitano embodied this music in a way that would be almost impossible now. The poetry of his jumps, without the pressure off having to rattle quite so many off, the purity of his lines, the breathtaking moments he creates with the death drop and the spread eagle--he really was the greatest at this type of skating, and it's something I dearly miss. I don't think there is a way to skate to POTO under the current scoring system in a way that captures what was brilliant about that music. Also, there's something about Boitano's skating (which might also be true of Browning's but no one else I can really think of) that has this universally accessible, gentlemanly sexiness. He combines grace and masculinity in such a unique way. My nerdy girlfriends and gay friends equally loved him back in the 80's/90's and so did my former football-player dad who got into skating because of me and ended up totally fan-boying Boitano. On the one hand I love skaters who have a really specific appeal, and put their own, unique mark on the sport. But Boitano, for me at least, was sui generis in his easy display of absurd atheleticism, combined with effortless passion and drama that kind of spoke to everyone who watched it. People should have stopped skating to POTO after him. Even after all these years of POTO overkill, I can watch this performance and be moved to tears like I'm a 90's high school kid all over again. :) I can't think of a better skater to start this thread with.

It is lovely for you to share your long-cherished memory and you're entitled to your opinion but I don't think that skaters should have stopped to skate to the music. If so, my pleasure of watching Dauisuke Takahashi's POTO would've never happened. Moreover, professional and exhibition programs allow a lot of freedom that can't be done in competition, so it is unfair to say the music is a misfit for COP. I doubt such freedom that Boitano showed in his program could be allowed even under the 6.0 system. While Boitano performed to the music beautifully with grace and lyricism in Pro Worlds 1989, I prefer Takahashi's to Boitano's because Takahashi is the best interpreter of the dark dramatic musical with his great versatile presentation in my opinion. The program's layout includes a quad, so I didn't just list the program here. My favorite professional POTO performers are Robin Cousins and the Czech pair, Kovarikova/Novotny in the 1990s. You many feel none can or hasn't surpassed the music after Boitano, but the opinion is just a matter of taste and subjective. Though I felt sick of the music being so overused in 2014/15.

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
patrick has a wonderful poto quadless too ;)

Yes, he did and Patrick's bladework was so amazing as usual and I like a kicking moment in the middle of the program. :biggrin: However his characterization of the program seems to me more Raoul than the Phantom. Anyway, I love watching various interpretations on one music although overusing of any music in one season gets people weary of it.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
lol ..yeah... lots of kicking :) lol... and too many potos over the year...especially 2015... sigh...

but patrick was a kid... lately he doesn't use warhorse anymore and i m very grateful about that ;) but yeah... i watched all his quadless programs when this thread came up and what a different skater he was back then... incredibly different...
Yes, he did and Patrick's bladework was so amazing as usual and I like a kicking moment in the middle of the program. :biggrin: However his characterization of the program seems to me more Raoul than the Phantom. Anyway, I love watching various interpretations on one music although overusing of any music in one season gets people weary of it.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland

4 Lz < so no full degradation. Even with negative GOE it was still worthy 7.96 points so that risk paid off. I remember that his landing was exciting to watch as every single (?) time he attempted that jump earlier that season in competition it ended with a fall.

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A lot of great ones have already been mentioned, but I'll add Todd Eldredge's "1492" from 2001 Worlds. :cheer:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

It was called <, but that was EXTREMELY generous and it really ought to have been <<.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

:thank: You know, I love your entire post, you expressed your views with such poetry and elegance.:luv17: But I'll start with what I disagree with. ;) FS world would be the poorer without Meryl & Charlie's POTO and Daisuke's. It was POTO that made me uber M/C and got me interested in the dance discipline.

Tarah Kayne gave a sassy answer to TSL when asked to defend her & Danny's MOTN choice last year. "If I was forcing you to skate to it, I'd have to defend my choice, but I don't have to defend our choice." :luv17: Then she did explain that they were inspired by it, especially Danny. And if someone refused to watch their Nationals performance of it, they won't understand how this piece created a leap in their connection to the music and the audiences this year. But it's very cool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63wVLFfPmvM

I'm a pianist and focused on classical in high school. I wonder if I don't mind programs to overused music because as a musician I played/practiced the same pieces endlessly. Would other musicians chime in on this? For me, it's also about how the skaters interpret the music with powerful emotion, so that's going to be completely different with every skater. I even enjoy how skaters vary their expression from performance to performance. Well, that's something musicians have in common with skaters. Tarah also talked about how you need to pick a piece of music that means something personally in order to repeat it all year the way they do. :love:

Last edited:

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It was called <, but that was EXTREMELY generous and it really ought to have been <<.

In your opinion, of course. Kurt Browning did a wonderful job of celebrating that Adam actually landed his 4Lz and it was a personal victory, in the CBC commentary.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason Brown's Long Program at 2011 Nationals is an awesome no quad + triple axel program!

That is such a gorgeous skate.:love: Once I saw Peter Carruthers interview Jason after that program because he got a standing ovation for it, his first year at Sr. nat'ls I think, and he came 9th. So unusual, and a preview of great things to come, from Jason.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION šŸ”„
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And if someone refused to watch their Nationals performance of it, they won't understand how this piece created a leap in their connection to the music and the audiences this year. But it's very cool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63wVLFfPmvM

I'm a pianist and focused on classical in high school. I wonder if I don't mind programs to overused music because as a musician I played/practiced the same pieces endlessly. Would other musicians chime in on this? For me, it's also about how the skaters interpret the music with powerful emotion, so that's going to be completely different with every program. I even enjoy how skaters vary their expression from performance to performance. Well, that's something musicians have in common with skaters. Tarah also talked about how you need to pick a piece of music that means something personally in order to repeat it all year the way they do. :love:

Music of the Night took Tarah and Danny to a whole new level at Nationals. Thrills and chills. They were magical.

Give me Chopin, Rachmaninoff, Debussy any day. I could listen to 100 Clair de Lunes and never tire of it. Tchaikovsky ballets, Don Quijote pas de deaux, the war horse operas -- bring it on! I started piano lessons when I was six years old (which was SEVERAL years ago :palmf:), and have never tired of these wonderful pieces.

Last edited:

Erin S

Rinkside
I feel I should clarify my earlier comment as I appear to have sounded more literal than I intended. I didn't actually mean NO ONE should ever skate to POTO again period. I'm obviously delighted we have Takahashi and Meryl/Charlie's performances. It would be more accurate to say that I think there should be what we lawyers call a "rebuttable presumption" against skating to it. Because it's overused and ill-suited (at least IMHO) to COP MOST LIKELY it's a bad idea, but with rare exceptions. Off to watch Takahashi's version!

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How about Robin Cousin with his 1980 OGM winning Free Program : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGrP-8J9c0U

Oh, wow, that single axel at the beginning is breathtaking! And then a 2A to follow, emphasizing it. That 1A reminds me of Boitano's death drop, just so high and big and stretched out in time and limbs. Gorgeous! Robin reminds me of Lysacek when he kicks so high and also the fast spinning jumps.