Great Men's Programs without quads | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Great Men's Programs without quads

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Todd Eldredge's 1996 Worlds LP, Jeffery Buttle's 2008 LP, and Evan's 2010 OGM LP. Even though it knocked My Plushy down to silver...:sad21:

So glad you mentioned 2010 OGM fs, because it lifted My Evan to gold! :hap93::yahoo::hap57:

noskates

Record Breaker
Was in the audience in Boston when Kayne and OShea skated and I agree that their interpretation of POTO took them to a new level. Danny reminds me very much of David Pelletier in the way he presents his partner, his strength etc. In this case I think the music suited the program and was delivered very successfully.

But I also agree with those that are saying some overused music can STILL be skated to (as long as it isn't Carmen :disapp:) if the skater is up to the task. Said differently, music should always be suited to the skater. I don't want some junior girl or boy in their first competition skating to a heavy piece of music. That's been my complaint with Karen Chen for the past couple of years in that her team has saddled her with The Godfather soundtrack, etc. Here she is a little sprite of a girl with mad talent and she's almost skating to a dirge. Polina skating to Gone With The Wind.

I still maintain that in many instances the skater's team is just lazy. They don't take the time to find a piece of music but use one they already have, cut to the right amount of time, and easy to facilitate. That's how music becomes overused.

My other complaint is tangos!! Please. Stop.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Give me Chopin, Rachmaninff, Debussy any day. I could listen to 100 Clair de Lunes and never tire of it. Tchaikovsky ballets, Don Quijote pas de deaux, the war horse operas -- bring it on! I started piano lessons when I was six years old (which was SEVERAL years ago :palmf:), and have never tired of these wonderful pieces.

Okay, so I've heard from at least one musician so far, thanks.:) I agree with you about the Clair de Lunes and all the composers you mentioned. Now I include Les Mis, POtO and Moulin Rouge!

Music of the Night took Tarah and Danny to a whole new level at Nationals. Thrills and chills. They were magical.

They really were. When I re-watched it just now, I noticed how loud we, the audience applauded after their 2Axel+2Axel sequence. We were thrilled partly because they were the first pair of the day who didn't fall on any of their SBS or double a triple. And they were last to skate! It was really something, and when Tarah stuck the throw 3Lz so beautifully that was it.

But the magic wasn't just about the technical; although when it all comes together, technical, artistic, presence, it is so thrilling.:love:

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Was in the audience in Boston when Kayne and OShea skated and I agree that their interpretation of POTO took them to a new level. Danny reminds me very much of David Pelletier in the way he presents his partner, his strength etc. In this case I think the music suited the program and was delivered very successfully.

But I also agree with those that are saying some overused music can STILL be skated to (as long as it isn't Carmen :disapp:) if the skater is up to the task. Said differently, music should always be suited to the skater. I don't want some junior girl or boy in their first competition skating to a heavy piece of music. That's been my complaint with Karen Chen for the past couple of years in that her team has saddled her with The Godfather soundtrack, etc. Here she is a little sprite of a girl with mad talent and she's almost skating to a dirge. Polina skating to Gone With The Wind.

I still maintain that in many instances the skater's team is just lazy. They don't take the time to find a piece of music but use one they already have, cut to the right amount of time, and easy to facilitate. That's how music becomes overused.

I don't disagree with anything you said here.:) And you're the first person who's said (that I've read, at least) that Tarah and Danny's Boston program, despite the fall, still showed that advance in their interpretation. Thanks! When I watched it, I actually thought Tarah had gained confidence and comfort with it since nationals.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:thank: to everyone who posted links! I've enjoyed watching so much and still have more to watch; this thread should last me awhile.

Here's Richard Dornbush at 2011 Nationals, being Sherlock. I love how he completes every movement, his gorgeous back, and the double prance at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arqtRv37n9M

mrrice

Record Breaker
:thank: to everyone who posted links! I've enjoyed watching so much and still have more to watch; this thread should last me awhile.

Here's Richard Dornbush at 2011 Nationals, being Sherlock. I love how he completes every movement, his gorgeous back, and the double prance at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arqtRv37n9M

I can't believe I forgot to mention Ricky's 2011 LP. I saw it live and it was just spectacular!!!!! While we're at it, I'll add Ross Miner's Casablanca LP from the same event.

Ross Miner with no commentary:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hOgpzmj4Lc

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They really were. When I re-watched it just now, I noticed how loud we, the audience applauded after their 2Axel+2Axel sequence. We were thrilled partly because they were the first pair of the day who didn't fall on any of their SBS or double a triple. And they were last to skate! It was really something, and when Tarah stuck the throw 3Lz so beautifully that was it.

And the best comment of the NBC broadcast came after they hit their last jump. I just loved it -- Terry Gannon said he wasn't sure who jumped higher, Tarah and Danny or (coach) Jim Peterson. Ha! Ha! There is no way they could have heard their music at that point, we were SO loud.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
I just watched on youtube Patrick commentates skating's video about his "5 favourite Johnny Weir programs" and there was no quad in sight but I definitely had forgotten how smooth and really pleasant and beautiful Johnny's skating was. So I would say Johnny's programs, especially from earlier in his career.

Also obviously Daisuke's SP at Vancouver olympics

mrrice

Record Breaker
I just watched on youtube Patrick commentates skating's video about his "5 favourite Johnny Weir programs" and there was no quad in sight but I definitely had forgotten how smooth and really pleasant and beautiful Johnny's skating was. So I would say Johnny's programs, especially from earlier in his career.

Also obviously Daisuke's SP at Vancouver olympics

Especially Otonal.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

:sad4: No! I love tangos - La Cumparsita, Libertango, El Choclo. The more, the better. I even liked Jin's tango (the music, that is)! :laugh:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
:sad4: No! I love tangos - La Cumparsita, Libertango, El Choclo. The more, the better. I even liked Jin's tango (the music, that is)! :laugh:

Music was Tango Amore, a cut-down version of the song Edvin Marton wrote for Plushy to skate to in Vancouver.

I like Roxanne best, but without lyrics.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
It was called <, but that was EXTREMELY generous and it really ought to have been <<.

I think you're way too harsh karne. Here you have Adam's landing on 0:59. It's on the quarter to be full. Moreover there's no excessive prerotation. It looks more full and more impressive visually than ratified 4F from Uno.

https://youtu.be/oYMR4x75azU?t=59s

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
? He lands fully forwards. Uno's jumps did look awkward but it was actually rotated imo
Depends on if you count pre-rotation as acceptable or not. At the moment technical panels don't have rules to look deep into those case but it does not mean they do not know. In fact, there has been some rumors about a rule about pre-rotation soon to be applied.
Anyways, US men might not have most quads landed but their take off don't have pre-rotation issue.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think you're way too harsh karne. Here you have Adam's landing on 0:59. It's on the quarter to be full. Moreover there's no excessive prerotation. It looks more full and more impressive visually than ratified 4F from Uno.

https://youtu.be/oYMR4x75azU?t=59s

? He lands forwards and does a massive hook turn on the ice. He did the same thing at US Nationals and pretty well every other time he's ever attempted it.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
Depends on if you count pre-rotation as acceptable or not. At the moment technical panels don't have rules to look deep into those case but it does not mean they do not know. In fact, there has been some rumors about a rule about pre-rotation soon to be applied.
Anyways, US men might not have most quads landed but their take off don't have pre-rotation issue.

I disagree. Even by counting pre-rotation, Shoma's 4F was clean at TCC. When I watch at 0.25 speed on youtube it is clear to me Shoma's 4F is clean whereas Adam's 4Lz is forwards.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Why does the thread that appreciates the value of skating without quad in men's program have to be a place for debates on quad? :scratch2: