2016 JGP Ljubljana Cup Ladies SP | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2016 JGP Ljubljana Cup Ladies SP

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Just a follow-up on my own comment :) Lim looked really good IMO, she gave away 4th Place to Lin (wow, try writing that quick 10 times, Lim, Lin, etc, hehe) with that fall but I'm sure she will come back in the FS. I just noticed that in every JGP this year, the Russians, Japanese and Koreans always beat the US. I'm not so sure why we even compete (just being silly), the ISU should just give us 6th Place (if not competing in Russia or Japan in which case the Host country gets 3 spots so the US gets 7th place - Saransk and Yokohama). I do strongly believe though, that Tessa may be the knight in shining armor next week who breaks this Russia/Japan/Korea trend. I like Lin, but do not think she will have the ability to overcome this sad, but realistic trend (unless Lin stays dry and Lim goes down a couple of times - which is certainly possible). No speculation on my part, time will tell.

it seems that way, not unless she adds tanos and whatever else that gives her those extra points that the russians and japanese get....

Caustica

Final Flight
her brief smile was fine during kiss and cry, she looked curious how she will be judged just like her coach.....

I rewatched it and actually the bit that irritated me was when she smiled after getting her score... but it's not a justifiable irritation anyway, it just somehow rubbed me the wrong way. I was incorrect to say that she 'kept it on' during KnC 'cause she was actually not smiling for most of it.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
I just think we're in a rebuilding period and I'm hoping we'll see better results next season. The problem this season is that we had no anchor to propel the US team. Vivian Le was that anchor in 2015, Karen Chen in 2014 (and even she didn't make JGPF by one spot), Polina Edmunds in 2013 and so on.

the top skaters at the moment all seem to by doing these tanos and choppy step sequences, though......the US skaters are slow to adapting it in their programs...not sure if it's lack of talent or coaching, or what?

shmay

On the Ice
I hope Tsurskaya can stay healthy for the rest of the season because Zagitova is just unsightly.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
I do not think Lim has a chance to make the JGPF, she does have a chance, though, to put herself on the map as a true Korean competitor (this is what the JGP is all about, IMO). She is looked at very favorably in Korea (as someone who has tremendous potential, hence the JGP spot), but does not have the limelight like some other competitors (tends to fall, not very consistent). This is sometimes equally as difficult for a very young talented skater especially when they are so close but just can't skate clean like some of the other older, or more experienced, or more talented skaters.

As far as beating Honda in the short in August, Honda, generally speaking, does not knock it out of the park in her SP, she leaves the door open for many talented skaters to compete but in the FS Honda separates herself very nicely (kind of like the old Mariano from the Yankees, a true closer).

I commented earlier, Lim gave away 5th place in the SP to Lin, today - Lim is a much better skater all around but she tends to hit the ice and that truly cost her 5th, for now. I like both Lim and Lin, but Lim is just much more polished. With that said, Lin has a tendency to skate clean (kudos to her) while other skaters make mistakes which gives Lin better placement (look at her skating "career" and placements thus far). Everything else equal, Lin probably should not be where she is but that is why you compete, right! And boy oh boy does the US need some form of consistency!!

I would say they are just different...Lin is more reserved, Lim is a sassy skater, diva-ish like Ashley Wagner.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
A little bit worried about Marin, but it Will be as it should be. I'm not sure it's the pressure, she grew taller since last season and even in ice shows in summer she never skated clean :confused2:

she's starting to remind me of Mao, falls apart in the short, but comes back in the long.

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
her skating skills are superior to Evgenia Medvedeva's.....she did a good job, she is capable of much more :)

She did a nice job, agreed. She is capable of much more, disagree. Her skating skills are superior to Medvedeva's, totally disagree.

Ashley Lin is truly a top junior ladies competitor for sure, but I believe Kaitlyn Nguyen, Gabrielle Noullet, Starr Andrews, Brynne McIsaac (to name a few) are better all around skaters. Kaitlyn, Gabrielle and Starr (though different ages) started their "competitive careers" one year later than Ashley (who stayed back a year in Intermediate) so, IMO, this give Ashley a slight advantage on experience. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but I certainly wouldn't compare any of them to Medvedeva.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I seriously can't believe that the seasons best for a US girl in the SP was Ashley's skate today. What happened to us?

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Watched the leaders.

Alina Zagitova was the clear boss. As Ted says sometimes, "no hesitation". She resembles last year Polina but she is a smoother skater. She was even better than the first time especially the end of her first spin that was rough in France. The only problem I saw was travelling during the second spin.

Rika Kihira was quite solid as well. She does not have the presense of Alina but she is definitely not boring. The only problem as well was travelling during the first spin.

Alisa Lozko did what she could. There was a clear UR on 3T. There was some small hook on 3Lo. I think it was a borderline. But she has the reputation now like poor Galustyan last season. She has then no luxury for borderline landings. Other than that she was lovely as ever with out of this world spins.

Marin Honda lost her bossy posture. But she has not become a worse skater. In fact she and Gubanova are the best junior skaters in terms of flow and effortless gliding. And Marin is faster. Her skating is stunning. Not her jumps, though. Knee bend landing - I guess, all students of her coach have it. Somehow many people here criticized Sima for that but keep silent about the Japanese. Why, I wonder? She also had a messy first spin.

Ashley Lin has good potential but I would place her below Eunsoo Lim who is a prodigy, an uncut diamond who is still quite rough but has all the makings to shine in the very near future.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
What please are the judges seeing in Alinas skating? :bang:

I know this sounds harsh, but there is absolutely nothing in her skating that warrants these scores. Her basic skating skills are so weak... not okay, not mediocre, but flat out week. No speed, absolutely no flow overall as she jerks from one movement to the other, and her edges are basically non existent. She has talent in the performance department, but even then, her movements are so rushed and unfinished...

And this is a little less than one point off of Polinas SP score last week? This is one of these instances when I just really, really don't get it :dbana:

I don't find her skating spectacular, but she skates a lot of one leg and does a lot of turns and stuff, choppy sequences, and tanoe jumps, but gets the job done. Some may call that great skating, but others may disagree...

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
I rewatched it and actually the bit that irritated me was when she smiled after getting her score... but it's not a justifiable irritation anyway, it just somehow rubbed me the wrong way. I was incorrect to say that she 'kept it on' during KnC 'cause she was actually not smiling for most of it.

it's alright, one armed tanoes irritate me :)

kalee

On the Ice
so... either Marin or Rika won't be in the roster for JGP :noshake:
That's saddd...

Actually even if Marin is 3rd and Rika is 2nd, it's still possible for them both to be in JGPF -- depends on how the Russian girls perform in the next JGPs though.
Let's assume that Alina, Polina & Nastia will qualify for JGPF by getting at least 3rd in their 2nd JGP outing. We would then have 3 girls on 26-30 points + Kaori on 28 points.
If Rika holds on to 2nd through the free, she would get 26 points & be the 5th place JGPF qualifier.
Then if Marin is 3rd, she can still qualify on 24 points in the following scenario:
- Tallinn: the winner is not Liza Nugumanova or Mako (in practical terms, this means Polina winning) and
- Dresden: the winner is not Yuna Shiraiwa, and Stasya Konstantinova is 3rd or below
- Marin has a higher sum of total scores than Liza / Mako or Stasya (assuming Liza or Mako is 2nd and Stasya is 3rd in their respective JGPs, so there end up being 3 girls on 24 points) and thus wins the tie-breaker.

Last edited:

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
She did a nice job, agreed. She is capable of much more, disagree. Her skating skills are superior to Medvedeva's, totally disagree.

Ashley Lin is truly a top junior ladies competitor for sure, but I believe Kaitlyn Nguyen, Gabrielle Noullet, Starr Andrews, Brynne McIsaac (to name a few) are better all around skaters. Kaitlyn, Gabrielle and Starr (though different ages) started their "competitive careers" one year later than Ashley (who stayed back a year in Intermediate) so, IMO, this give Ashley a slight advantage on experience. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but I certainly wouldn't compare any of them to Medvedeva.

for me, Medvedeva is SLOW, very poor edges, WEAK transitions. The only thing she's good at is staying on her feet, but without looking effortless; and she looks like a young Rachel Weisz. Her choreography and programs thus far have been forgettable and uninspiring, choppy and doesn't make any sense. I will take Ashley Lin's short program here to hers any day.

We've seen Gabrielle already....Lin > Gabrielle. It remains to be seen what Starr and Kaitlyn can do, but I have high hopes :)

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
I seriously can't believe that the seasons best for a US girl in the SP was Ashley's skate today. What happened to us?

Well, that is why many people on this board believe that Ashley is such a strong skater, despite not accomplishing high levels of success in the U.S. So many variables and factors are different from competition to competition and event to event, however, it is what is is. So looking just at the previous JGP events YTD one would have to say (at least thru the SP today) that Ashley is the best Junior ladies competitor on the 2016 JGP circuit by posting the highest SP score. And maybe she is, I just read so many comments about how she needs to fix this and that and in watching her program I agree, there are so many elements of her skating that need work. I think the message she has taught us all is simple - do the jumps, don't fall and have other skaters make mistakes and you will do well, at least at the Junior level. But we must give credit to where credit is due, she put together a good performance, placed well so hopefully she can take that momentum to her FS. For me, if she doesn't hold on to 5th Place, it's all for not because the Russians, Japanese and Koreans still beat US. So let's go Ashley :)