2016 JGP Ljubljana Cup Ladies SP | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2016 JGP Ljubljana Cup Ladies SP

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
Lin's 3T was UR and her basic skating is pretty poor but she attempted harder content and didn't fall, and it's by far the best out of any American this year.

I would guess Lim will hand her nerves just fine.

The media has not hyped her, so there is not much expectations from her. I believe she is not even considered Korean junior No. 1 (I am not saying someone else is.)
She is at her very first JGP, which is actually better than a second year or later in the season, since she is pretty much clueless about what's going to happy.

She competed against Marin Honda in August at Asian Trophy, and she actually beat Marin in the short. So to her, Marin is not exactly unbeatable.

As much I love EunSoo, I don't expect her to make to the JGPF this year.

I do not think Lim has a chance to make the JGPF, she does have a chance, though, to put herself on the map as a true Korean competitor (this is what the JGP is all about, IMO). She is looked at very favorably in Korea (as someone who has tremendous potential, hence the JGP spot), but does not have the limelight like some other competitors (tends to fall, not very consistent). This is sometimes equally as difficult for a very young talented skater especially when they are so close but just can't skate clean like some of the other older, or more experienced, or more talented skaters.

As far as beating Honda in the short in August, Honda, generally speaking, does not knock it out of the park in her SP, she leaves the door open for many talented skaters to compete but in the FS Honda separates herself very nicely (kind of like the old Mariano from the Yankees, a true closer).

I commented earlier, Lim gave away 5th place in the SP to Lin, today - Lim is a much better skater all around but she tends to hit the ice and that truly cost her 5th, for now. I like both Lim and Lin, but Lim is just much more polished. With that said, Lin has a tendency to skate clean (kudos to her) while other skaters make mistakes which gives Lin better placement (look at her skating "career" and placements thus far). Everything else equal, Lin probably should not be where she is but that is why you compete, right! And boy oh boy does the US need some form of consistency!!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Alina my new favourite for this season: she has the best TES for both SP and LP, amazing jumps (huge, no flutz, no URs), and she is born in Izhevsk (not Moscow) :D

Marin has to be PERFECT in the free to fight for a chance to the JGPF, I hope she makes it

It all depends on Rika's performance.

Alisa is one of my favourites (she reminds me a young Julia Lipnitskaya) but she struggles a lot with the jumps, likely she will finish 4th here.

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
I just think we're in a rebuilding period and I'm hoping we'll see better results next season. The problem this season is that we had no anchor to propel the US team. Vivian Le was that anchor in 2015, Karen Chen in 2014 (and even she didn't make JGPF by one spot), Polina Edmunds in 2013 and so on.

I think you're spot-on, though I see so many really good Junior ladies just on the cuff, ready to break out if they could just fix a little of this or a little of that! Well, the season is still just getting started with Regionals right around the corner, there may still be a chance for some of the top Junior ladies to get more consistent before Sectionals and Nationals and really join the Senior Circuit with tons of momentum. After all, I can name the US Senior ladies Champion for the last 5 years but cannot come close to naming the Junior champions for the same period.

Biellmann

Match Penalty
A little bit worried about Marin, but it Will be as it should be. I'm not sure it's the pressure, she grew taller since last season and even in ice shows in summer she never skated clean :confused2:

Leonardo

Final Flight
Hi Sam,Can you tell my how on earth https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgVPPA2VLvw&feature=youtu.be&t=2m6s this lutz gets not e, not even a ! and even get +2 . Could you make a jumpatron ? thanks.
Her spins traveled half rink and still got GOE.........:palmf:

Her lutz technique is perfectly clean and solid, like Polina's. Yes, some russians have clear flutzes and dont get deductions (medvedeva, serafima, fedichkina, adelina and lipnitskaya) but some have perfect outside edge every time, like polina, alina, radionova, tuktamysheva and pogorilaya.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Her lutz technique is perfectly clean and solid, like Polina's. Yes, some russians have clear flutzes and dont get deductions (medvedeva, serafima, fedichkina, adelina and lipnitskaya) but some have perfect outside edge every time, like polina, alina, radionova, tuktamysheva and pogorilaya.
I can't tell if she might have an ! from that angle. But clearly NOT a Flutz. I have watched her lutz in 3 programs and I think it is acceptable from that camera angle.
And now if I have to bring out the Flutz which did not get calls, I'd say some junior men Flutz but tech panel turn blind eyes on them.

Last edited:

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
That's the highest score we've seen from the US junior ladies, so good job Ashley!

Ashley Lin scored 57.08 to Marin's 57.79????? I would have given Ashley the third spot instead. I'm thrilled that she stayed on her feet. She skated much better at Glacier Falls. Here, she was prob nervous and it contributed to her technique today, but she did a good job :)

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Ashely Lin did a good job. I wonder if it's just her teeth and open mouth that make her appearing smiling, while she as not. I found that with Carolina Zhang too. I am pretty certain with Zhang, whenever her mouth is open, it looked like she was smiling. Not sure how much you can do with that.

Ashely also has a quite distracting looking loose leg in air. Hope her coach looks into it and fit it.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Lin's 3T was UR and her basic skating is pretty poor but she attempted harder content and didn't fall, and it's by far the best out of any American this year.

her skating skills are superior to Evgenia Medvedeva's.....she did a good job, she is capable of much more :)

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
What please are the judges seeing in Alinas skating? :bang:

I know this sounds harsh, but there is absolutely nothing in her skating that warrants these scores. Her basic skating skills are so weak... not okay, not mediocre, but flat out week. No speed, absolutely no flow overall as she jerks from one movement to the other, and her edges are basically non existent. She has talent in the performance department, but even then, her movements are so rushed and unfinished...

And this is a little less than one point off of Polinas SP score last week? This is one of these instances when I just really, really don't get it :dbana:

Last edited:

sneakers

Match Penalty
I guess we'll be seeing alot of backloading of jumps from now on, high TES gets you also increase in PCS it seems. :slink:

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
I couldn't really stand her because of that plastered smile... Especially when she kept it on during KnC... But definitely well done to her for succeeding on all her jumps (despite shakiness).

her brief smile was fine during kiss and cry, she looked curious how she will be judged just like her coach.....

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
She needs a tighter rotation so she doesn't under rotate. The loop was iffy too. I hope she works on we technique for next year. Her height is good, though. Lots of potential. It's just a shame Ashley Kim could compete in Japan. I kinda want them to be the "Ashleys" who make w big splash next year.

I think it was nerves, she has performed to this program much better than this.....I agree, she has good height, good jumping, good skating skills......
btw, is she wearing retainers or braces? I can't tell....it seems she took them off? Agree, a lot of potential if puberty holds up....she will be a good home rival to Nguyen and Kim.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
It is Lin's first JGP (since she is 13) and she did quite well! I agree, she needs to clean up her skating skills, work on her jump technique but she has a strong foundation. If she doesn't somehow fix these "issues" she will not make it far in to the senior ranks, but lets take it for what it is worth. Certainly scored the best out of all US Ladies so far this year in the JGPs, but not by far the best (performance, skill level) out of any American this year.

if puberty holds up as she's only 13, I think she will make it far......her skating skills are on par with the top junior girls, her axel is huge. But she can clean up on her jumping and artistry and that will come with time and experience hopefully