2016 Skate America Ladies FS | Page 39 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate America Ladies FS

Meoima

Match Penalty
Why are people shocked about Gracie? She has bombed many times already. Not to mention her interview before the competition. She was struggling with depression and disappointment.

ranjake

Final Flight
The problem is TV scheduling. The block of time was scheduled to end at 6 PM Eastern time, and unfortunately skating doesn't have the sway of something like football for which networks will just bump subsequent programs back or join something in progress.

Figure skating is the 'red-headed stepchild' of US sports at present, on US TV. (no offense meant by my analogy- I love redheads AND stepchildren :) Just that it's an afterthought. It's very sad

mcq

Record Breaker
Why? They are still strong
It's just numbers, really, even if Pogo fails in Japan, highly likely. There is nobody who can challenge her from Rostelecom entries. Sotskova also has very good draw and can easily finish 2nd in both events.

Not that they are not strong but they are not as reliable/consistent as Medvedeva/Satoko. Pogo finished 3rd at Finlandia behind Mao and Osmond. Sotskova is more consistent but not sure how she would fare in senior yet. I still consider them more of a wild card not a sure filler of the GPF spot. Ashley is already 1st here, I think 3rd or 4th finish should be enough for her to go to GPF so she is also a safe bet.

Last edited:

katymay

Medalist
I realize I might get pelted by haters, but I gotta say, recently I'm loving Tara Lipinski. Today especially, she was spot on about just about everything, (including Gracie not picking music that suits her, etc.). A while ago she was talking about how Mao was born a year too late, and that she peaked when she was too young to go the Olympics (true this), and so pretty much got hosed by the rule change. I couldn't believe she said that Gracie actually has far more talent than Ashley but her mental issues....Not sure many commentators would dare go there. So hate if you must, but I really like Tara, and I'm hoping her contract is renewed for the future.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A few hours ago did ANYBODY think Mariah Bell would have won the LP and win the silver and Gracie Gold would be OFF the podium :shocked: :eeking: And at Skate America of all places :shocked::shocked: It's honestly to me one of the biggest surprises in quite a long time

I've been saying for two years now that Mariah is the most well rounded American with the best presentation and potential but her consistency is atrocious because her technical ability can hold her back. Maybe RAF has found a way to bring out the best in her. We'll see. She's one of my favorites to watch for certain but I never know what to expect. I guess that's part of the fun.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I am not super regretful that I did not make it to watch skate America live this year.....
Dont know what to say and what to feel now.

Congratulations to Mariah Bell. Darling, you jumps like a little dear in the forest (one rare comment from Johny that is really spot on).
Congratulations to Ashley. A real lady and inspiration.
Gracie I love your beautiful dress and your beautiful choreo sequence .... but I dont like how you interact with Frank (the vibe) before your every skate... hope you figure it out. Hope to see you skate these 2 programs much better in US nationals......:sad21:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I realize I might get pelted by haters, but I gotta say, recently I'm loving Tara Lipinski. Today especially, she was spot on about just about everything, (including Gracie not picking music that suits her, etc.). A while ago she was talking about how Mao was born a year too late, and that she peaked when she was too young to go the Olympics (true this), and so pretty much got hosed by the rule change. I couldn't believe she said that Gracie actually has far more talent than Ashley but her mental issues....Not sure many commentators would dare go there. So hate if you must, but I really like Tara, and I'm hoping her contract is renewed for the future.
Wow Tara... usually I don't like her comments but today she is spot on.

Barb

Record Breaker
Many other great competitors in the following events.

Anyway ... visit the 2016 Golden Spin of Zagreb (Croatia) (Dec 7-10 2016): the oldest skating competition in the world ...
as things are going, right now, it seems that
many famous figure skaters will be there.

I going to trophee of France anyway but I had not thought about Zagreb, thanks for the data.

berry8

Final Flight
Such a lame competition...
No one was able to jump 7 triples.

Gold: she seemed rattled even during the warm-up... So painful to watch!
Mihara: I thought she would have completed all her jumping passes clean as a whistle...
Gabby: her triples are huge... Needs to semplify the entrance of the first 3Lz and to work on her 3L.
Mao: no comment :sad4: Seemed ill to me !
Bell: I don't get her programs... I hope they will grow on me though... (I still prefer Mirai/Polina over her). She has nice toe jumps!
Wagner: Her nw LP is sooo boring... 70 in PCS? Judges must have seen another program!

Ladies in JGP are way more competitive :shocked::shocked:

Last edited:

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Gracie says she blames her poor skating on weight issues? As an elite athlete shouldn't she have that all worked out?

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
Mariah Bell was a BIG surprise, though!:agree: And suddenly the US has another strong skater

I hope this holds true because I've watched her for so long and always thought she could do it. For me though, I am so anxious to see how she does in her next 2 competitions cause now EVERYONE is watching her and it is ALWAYS easier to do it when no one is expecting much versus doing it when all eyes are on you!

This is where Ashley will really be able to help her (if she wants to) because Ashley is used to being the underdog and yet somehow seems to be able to deliver the goods! So happy Vivian is with a much better coaching staff now in Team Raf, this is going to help her so much (I hope)- congrats to Ashley and Mariah!

NAOTMAA

Medalist

Tara isn't terrible but she unfortunately lets herself get dragged into the chatter sidekick role with Johnny. I know she's friends with him but commentating together its not so great. She does say some great things and she was dead on with what she said today.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Gracie says she blames her poor skating on weight issues? As an elite athlete shouldn't she have that all worked out?
Weight issue is the sign of depression. If she is always in stress, it's hard to control it. She needs resting and a psychologist.

Barb

Record Breaker
I think Gracie is just a very nervous person, I don´t think she hates to skate. The problem is this has not cure, so, I hope really her problem is weight, easy to solve :p.