2017 Four Continents Men SP | Page 101 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Men SP

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Why are some people conveniently lumping Chen and Jin in the same group just because both do a quad lutz? Their skating skills and presentation in general are not even in the same league. If anything Chen is much closer to Uno than he is to Jin in terms of quality.

In his SP, yes, completely agree. I wouldn't lump their SS at all. But I don't know if I quite agree when it comes to his FS, which I think suffers in terms of its front-loading composition too much so it seems like we only really see his SS during his Step Sequence and Choreographic sequence. I do think though, that even though Nathan does have greater SS than Boyang, Spiderboyang had learned how to perform and project better? But that's my opinion. I can't help but prefer Jin, sorry!

Shoma is better than both though, in all these aspects. Even if his landings are sometimes scarier than theirs!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I'm assuming you're advocating Nathan's superiority? I think Boyang's underappreciated when it comes to presentation skills. Nathan has better SS but Boyang's got some major performing power. Both of them have better SPs than LPs, and lets face it, both of their LPs are mostly setting up for jumps, so you can't even see Nathan's good qualities. For what they put out there on the ice, they should be scored closer than they are.

Yep. Skating skills I agree, presentation I don't. I think that Boyang is more than just the jumps. That was his criticism last year. To be honest I don't even remember what music Nathan Chen is skating to, while I can tell you for Boyang, even though I have seen his programs less this year. For me personally I really do hope that Nathan Chen can have better programs, if he is ought to win the Worlds or even Olympics. Iconic pieces that he can make his own. Right now he doesn't have that.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I think you are correct. It would have been really sad to rip the medal out of Kristen Babb-Sprague's hands 2 years after she won it. Or was the 2 year thing Beckie Scott getting the Gold up from bronze? It get so confusing when they go back and change results. Debbie Wilkes said in her book that even though the team that won the silver had their medal taken away so she and her partner went from Bronze to Silver in the worlds of 1964 (?) that she always felt that she had won the bronze and that the other team should have been able to keep their silver. I wonder how many other athletes have mixed feelings about being awarded a different medal after the fact.

I think the difference is there was no faulting Kristen Babb-Sprague for the Brazil judge's error and the US official overseeing the comp. unwillingness's to overturn the score, so I agree with decision. Becky's move to gold came after 2 athletes were found to have been using steroids, which resulted in the athletes losing their medals, due to taking an illegal substance and a lack of fair play.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I agree. Nathan did not perform much in his programs. He has better ss, but not demonstrated much in his programs, rather in his exhibition. Boyang makes me like him more because he seems enjoy performing, even when the jumps are not perfect.
Both have similar body type which facilitates them to do quads, both are ethnic Chinese. But they are not the same.

I'm assuming you're advocating Nathan's superiority? I think Boyang's underappreciated when it comes to presentation skills. Nathan has better SS but Boyang's got some major performing power. Both of them have better SPs than LPs, and lets face it, both of their LPs are mostly setting up for jumps, so you can't even see Nathan's good qualities. For what they put out there on the ice, they should be scored closer than they are.

Rissa

Record Breaker
Yep. Skating skills I agree, presentation I don't. I think that Boyang is more than just the jumps. That was his criticism last year. To be honest I don't even remember what music Nathan Chen is skating to, while I can tell you for Boyang, even though I have seen his programs less this year. For me personally I really do hope that Nathan Chen can have better programs, if he is ought to win the Worlds or even Olympics. Iconic pieces that he can make his own. Right now he doesn't have that.

I agree. However, when I watched Nathan's exhibition program I learned that wow, that boy can dance, he's got the moves. What he needs to do is combine his tech with his presentation potential - and then the sky's the limit. I don't know if he'll ever be able to do those jumps from elaborate transitions like Yuzuru does or do such quality souns, but I believe that after he gets some mileage under his skates he will be able to perform iconic programs. Boyang has a longer road to travel, I think. His SP is super enjoyable because he performs the heck out of it and it's not totally empty, but he needs to learn to put some more content into LP and apparently putting more content along those jumps is an extremely tall order for him. Attitude alone won't carry him through the LP.

To sum up: presently I enjoy Boyang more but I think Nathan has more potential. Hopefully, they'll both continue to grow and will become true masters who challenge each other.:yes:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Can anyone tell me how on earth Han Yan got lower SS score than Boyang? I mean, seriously??? I like Boyang, but I think Han Yan is often underscored in that department.

Eclair

Medalist
Can anyone tell me how on earth Han Yan got lower SS score than Boyang? I mean, seriously??? I like Boyang, but I think Han Yan is often underscored in that department.

I don't think singling out Boyang on that is fair: How come Han Yan got lower SS score than Nathan? How come Nathan's got 43 and Shoma 44? And How come Grant Hochstein has the same PCS as Han Yan? And How come Nathan PCS is HIGHER than Jason's?

I think judges have underscored Jason and Han Yan on PCS today, though I do think they overstored Nathan a little too. Personally I'd give him 41,5 or 42 and Jason 44 and Han Yan 43. But well, judges never do as I wish :scratch2:;)

whatif

Medalist
LMFAO, traveled all week and looked to check in the results. Holly Mother, I am surprised the world is still standing. the tantrums.....

da96103

Record Breaker
The expected quad splat did not occur.
Only one quad fall out of 15 attempted.
4 quads were under rotated: one from Reynolds, two from Nam, one from
Chan which was also the fall mentioned above.
So that's 11 fully rotated landed quads out of 15.

The 3A on the other hand ..,.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I'm not going to wade through this thread to see what you all thought as I often do. Sorrynotsorry. Love you guys but no. Did anyone say anything especially funny? I feel like someone should do a recap of threads. The greatest hits version of 4CC. I'm not volunteering.

:points: Sad that you and your funny dog doesn't want to do it...

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I don't think singling out Boyang on that is fair: How come Han Yan got lower SS score than Nathan? How come Nathan's got 43 and Shoma 44? And How come Grant Hochstein has the same PCS as Han Yan? And How come Nathan PCS is HIGHER than Jason's?

I think judges have underscored Jason and Han Yan on PCS today, though I do think they overstored Nathan a little too. Personally I'd give him 41,5 or 42 and Jason 44 and Han Yan 43. But well, judges never do as I wish :scratch2:;)

True. but even last year it was obvious that if Boyang had Han Yan's SS he would be probably ubeatable and this year he's the one gettting higher scores for that? UGH. I agree that neither Shoma and Nathan should have higher SS score than Han Yan. And by so much too... I'm bitter sorry, but looks like start order has hurt Han Yan, and judges are scoring PCS like it is second TES score...

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I think the top guys stole all the 3A mojo. There were some incredible 3As in that last group.

I still can't comprehend what happened to Han Yan 3A's. It used to be his money jump. Like +2 GOE, all across the board. And it's still big. but landings are not perfect anymore....

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
And Han and his PCS. Lower SS score than Boyang's and Nathan's, come on. And Patrick's relative to everybody else's. And on the Lady's side, Zijun's PCS is ridiculously low. These are the outrageous glaring ones, not counting the smaller debatable differences among others.

Why are some people conveniently lumping Chen and Jin in the same group just because both do a quad lutz? Their skating skills and presentation in general are not even in the same league. If anything Chen is much closer to Uno than he is to Jin in terms of quality.

I was comparing skating skills and PCS so I dumped them together as less than Han. I didn't say they were equal. What I said had nothing to do with jumps, which quads, and how they did technically at this event. I do feel though Nathan has better SS than Boyang, he is scored over generously and the difference is not as great as their scores reflect. As well, unlike Shoma, Nathan tends to have less transitions but showcases his SS and performance mainly during the step sequence. In contrast, Chan and Hanyu have their jumps integrated into a full program from beginning to end.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
RE PCS scores: To quote Sinatra. "That's Life."

Here's hoping our favorites, whoever they may be, strive to perform at their best.

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The expected quad splat did not occur.
Only one quad fall out of 15 attempted.
4 quads were under rotated: one from Reynolds, two from Nam, one from
Chan which was also the fall mentioned above.
So that's 11 fully rotated landed quads out of 15.

The 3A on the other hand ..,.

Yep. I wanted the men to "Bring the BAM!" and they did.

I might would quibble with the Callers on the "fully rotated" part of the rundown (ahem, Shoma), but that's minor in comparison to your main point. Which is WOW this was a very high level competition.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Yep. I wanted the men to "Bring the BAM!" and they did.

I might would quibble with the Callers on the "fully rotated" part of the rundown (ahem, Shoma), but that's minor in comparison to your main point. Which is WOW this was a very high level competition.

Whoever said the ladies gave up their clean skates so the men could shine was right. The real test will be with tomorrow's Ladies FS. If they do well, then we can expect a splatfest in the men's FS to compensate.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
RE PCS scores: To quote Sinatra. "That's Life."

Here's hoping our favorites, whoever they may be, strive to perform at their best.

perhaps but if skating skills are not rewarded properly, it sends a message about what matters most. Is that the sport we want to watch in the future?

mrrice

Record Breaker
Oh Patrick!!! It's good to see him smile after that performance. He is such a special skater and you can tell the commentators love him as much as I do. I don't know where his jumps were today but, the chorography of his program is spectacular. He always comes back strong in the free so hopefully, he'll be great tomorrow. Nathan Chen.....Weird bobble falling out of his final position but, he deserves his lead. Special mention to Misha Ge......I really love his skating and that program was just dreamy.

Last edited: