Eteri Tutberidze interview 05.05.2017 | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Eteri Tutberidze interview 05.05.2017

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Not a very good example - sports.ru as they often do, put up only that part of the interview which concerns Yulia to attract the readers, so many even didn't bother to read the original, resulting in yet another battle between Yulia fans & haters

Doris deleted it but my opinion didn't change that forum is the worst forum ever! That is a shame!

Miller

Final Flight
One reason that Nathan's progress was delayed was that he had Osgood Schlatter disease as a junior and lost a year or so of training time. He talks about it here(scroll down on the website)
https://coachalbertlim.wordpress.com/individualized-training-services/

That is interesting to know. Also despite missing training time he was still able to start at 15 and be in the position he is now. Obviously we don't know if he was planning to do quads from say 14, but the fact he didn't have to shows that for boys at least it may not be necessary to start so early.

moriel

Record Breaker
I am a bit annoyed with this kind of posts from our Russian posters presenting Russia as a some sort of uncivilised country, I am not sure about Western political correctness but the Russians haven't lost some common decency of doing all the bashing necessary when they see a coach breaking all the rules in regard to her former students, the children at the time in HER care. I looked through lots of discussions on Russian forums and in the comment sections and can say that most people are as disgusted with Eteri as many posters here. So please do not present your personal opinion to which you of course entitled as of all the Russians

Not this specific case, but in general...
:eek:topic:
Russians in general tend to say what they think or feel, and not say things just to keep things pleasant. Being politically correct and trying to keep things pleasant, as many western people usually do, may look as fake for a russian. Russians will not respect you for that, because for them, you are not being polite, you are basically being a liar.

Politically correct is not equal to civilized. Politically correct doesnt mean polite.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Not this specific case, but in general...
:eek:topic:
Russians in general tend to say what they think or feel, and not say things just to keep things pleasant. Being politically correct and trying to keep things pleasant, as many western people usually do, may look as fake for a russian. Russians will not respect you for that, because for them, you are not being polite, you are basically being a liar.

Politically correct is not equal to civilized. Politically correct doesnt mean polite.

In my experience, this was true all over Europe. There was no such thing as "Political Correctness" You either voiced your opinion, or you said nothing at all and talked about it at a later date. To me, politically correct equals, spineless. You certainly don't have to be rude about it but, I have never changed my opinion to go along with "The Group" I wouldn't have made it through the 90's with my love Maria Butyrskaya if I'd followed the rest crowd and loved the extremely popular Michelle Kwan. Here's the thing. To me, I think people should feel free to express their opinion without fear of backlash. I loved Yags but, I "preferred" Plushy. That sounds like no big deal until you put it in writing during the 2000-2003 seasons....:drama:

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
"Express their opinion without fear of backlash"? No, if you have an opinion, others can counter that opinion if they want to. What if your opinion is, I dunno, "if he beats you, it means he loves you"?

Sometimes I am not sure if people intentionally misinterpret things here or they really think everything in the world is as simple as black and white. You can only be for someone or against them? Real life doesn't work that way. When people blindly defend someone just because they are a fan, in any and all circumstances, it becomes impossible to take them seriously.

Or maybe this thread is reminding me too much of other things going on in the world...

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
You personally don't find anything unethical about Eteri discussing personal details of students? I find that hard to believe. I stick up for Eteri and understand her on many things but I hope you are one of the eight who stand against her publicly disclosing potentially damaging info about her students past or present. It reflects poorly on her IMO.

I personally would not openly tell same harsh things as she told about Pitkeev. But I don't blame her for it if she said what she believed was true, if she was annoyed with his attitude so that she still cannot contain it. We don't know what happened between them. May be it was just the way she described. If she invested in him and received 0 on her investment even minus. Then forgive me if I am wrong, but has not Adian retired? Then her revelations will hardly damage his skating career. On the contrary, those who hate Eteri may take him eagerly on board. But I think he decided to pass on it.

I don't see any mean unethical agenda behind her words. She has had difficult life. No success as a skater. No success as a coach in the US. Then coming back and no offers at first. Big tensions with the Fed. Then the break with her star student. She has finally capitalized on her efforts this year. And decided that now she can say whatever she thinks. May be not the smartest thing to do in the Russian political FS environment. At least what she said was not as ugly as those rumors about her and Buyanova and many other nasty things people already said and keep saying about her - the best ladies coach in the world at this moment.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I personally would not openly tell same harsh things as she told about Pitkeev. But I don't blame her for it if she said what she believed was true, if she was annoyed with his attitude so that she still cannot contain it. We don't know what happened between them. May be it was just the way she described. If she invested in him and received 0 on her investment even minus. Then forgive me if I am wrong, but has not Adian retired? Then her revelations will hardly damage his skating career. On the contrary, those who hate Eteri may take him eagerly on board. But I think he decided to pass on it.

:eek: No, Adian has not retired. He still wants to come back, but there's the little problem of his terrible back injury caused by overtraining and being forced to skate injured by his previous coach. That's why he hasn't skated since RusNats in December 2015. I guess you wouldn't have heard about it from Eteri since she glossed over it completely, but it was discussed in this thread extensively.

I'm sorry, but wow...what an offensive post. This teenager who was in visible pain at every competition had an "attitude," alright. Who wouldn't???

Last edited:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
:eek: No, Adian has not retired. He still wants to come back, but there's the little problem of his terrible back injury caused by overtraining and being forced to skate injured by his previous coach. That's why he hasn't skated since RusNats in December 2015. I guess you wouldn't have heard about it from Eteri since she glossed over it completely, but it was discussed in this thread extensively.

I always try to give the benefit of a doubt. If she was a monster she would not have so much success with Yulia, Medvedeva, Zagitova, and we shall see who else this season. And that she has a lot of haters is beyond doubt. Someone on sports.ru made many page long "analysis" just to prove that Shcherbakova's and Trusova's quads were fakes made for Eteri's PR.

I am sorry about Adian. Skaters got injured. I don't know details of his injury, how it started, who is to blame. But I would not trust the posts of those who never had doubts that his "terrible back injury" was only because Eteri forced him to skate despite the pain. That she disregarded medical examination, etc. Any proof to that? If it is true we could expect Medvedeva and Zagitova ending up the same any day. Or may there is something else to it?

moriel

Record Breaker

I'm sorry, but wow...what an offensive post. This teenager who was in visible pain at every competition had an "attitude," alright. Who wouldn't???

do we have anywhere to find more details on his health status btw?
Last time i´ve seen him skate, it looked pretty interesting, so i´m curious now about his chances to come back and so on.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think we're in a weird area here. Having an opinion, or expressing your love for your favorite skater should not mean that you're open for personal attacks by other posters. Why not just tell me who you love and leave it right there. Someone once told me to "Go back to Russia" if I wanted to cheer for Maria Butyrskaya. IMO, that's going past the point of supporting a favorite. It's borderline bullying and as I've gotten older, it's something I don't stand for.

Patrick Chan used to get such trash thrown at him that I stopped talking about him for a while because I was so sick of the mean responses I'd get soon after. Now...I don't really care. I like who I like and that's all I can control.

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
You personally don't find anything unethical about discussing Eteri? You don't know her directly don't know how is going on a training session. Really there are also Daniil and Sergey on ice whith who you can discuss anything. It is already 16 pages. Wow. Eteri is so popular :laugh:

just curious - as the interview was published for public eye, with her being public person, obviously in the center of FS attention, what's wrong or 'unethical' with discussing it or voicing different opinions? I mean, that's one of main point of such forums for me - to discuss stuff said/posted openly, not gossiping over leaking stories blown out of the proportion.

yes - probably all of us don't know Tutberidze in person, but she's a popular, 'famous' coach (as you pointed yourself), 'exposed' a public persona to the viewers/spectators and the way she speaks/what she says in interviews helps in creating a picture of her approach and methodic as a professional/coach at least, which then allows people to make their own opinions on that, discuss them - agreeing or not. And looking how confident, unapologetic she is over her statements, subjects/focus points of them, I think she does realize that her comments are discussed and are not a matter of common agreement and praise.

what would be 'unethical' is verbal abuse/attack over her personal life, making assumptions over it based only on her public interviews on coaching or methods she uses as a coach. The point is for me that so far folks are discussing there statements/topics said by her in this interview, with veering over her coaching methods/approach towards students or narrative/rhetoric used by her in inerviews on her professional career. All points being pretty open for public discussion.

but what is 'unreasonable' and hard to understand for me there is how quick some people are to break the rest who is not favourable over Eteri's interview narrative into 'haters' category. It's not even the first time, same thing goes with certain skaters. I do wonder if it's a laziness, personal conviction or just personality

LRK

Record Breaker
You personally don't find anything unethical about discussing Eteri? You don't know her directly don't know how is going on a training session. Really there are also Daniil and Sergey on ice whith who you can discuss anything. It is already 16 pages. Wow. Eteri is so popular :laugh:

I think the equivalent would be, if Eteri had told me details of her private life, and I then ran off to GS to babble about them. I think you'd agree that I would be wrong to do so?

Note: This is my first post on this thread, so I haven't actually been discussing Eteri at all; but I think my point still stands.:)

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I know that it isn't only Eteri thing, but some of her girls are my favourites (and thanks her for it) that is why I am worryed about them here. If You Young and Gogolev were my fav I would post it at an ad hoc thread. I personally don't think Eteri is a bad coach. Maybe i am not right but I've read Mishin intervew where he said that his students practice on ice two 45-minute intervals a day. He said that that way can't guarantee consistency but it is not as dangerous for health, as hardly repeated elements, so he's for limiting ice time. Liza was learning her 3A for many years since her early years to do it stable because he didn't let her to do it many times a day, while Eteri's students have more ice time and she let them to repeat hard every element to do it stable, that is why her students are so consistent but often have a lot of injuries since early years. I don't know how You Young, Marin Honda and other girls and boys practice, what Mao did, and i can't say what way is better. It is not good for young body anyway, as every high level sport, but you can minimize the consequences or get a quick result by dangerous means. This is skater's ant their families own business what way to choose, I just want my favourite skaters to have long successful career and healthy future :hopelessness:
That was from a while ago, though. I have trouble believing Mishin's students get only half of the ice time of, say, Chebotareva's.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Do you have statistics supporting your highlighted quote? I would say that one third of posters on Russian boards are disgusted with Eteri, Yulia, Adelina, Medvedeva, Buyanova - you name it. Of course, factions are different so that you have different thirds for different skaters/coaches. Of course, a third is a generalization - the less prominent a person is the fewer active haters she has. Now those who profess the hate to anything that comes from Eteri - you can start with infamous Vaitsekhovskaya - suddenly
Surely, they have jumped on it. But I would not use the term "most" unless you can prove otherwise.
Do you have statistics supporting the use of the term "third"? This goes both ways, you know. And no, not all people at the same level of prominence have the same number of haters. Some just don't do much to provoke it.

moriel

Record Breaker
Do you have statistics supporting the use of the term "third"? This goes both ways, you know. And no, not all people at the same level of prominence have the same number of haters. Some just don't do much to provoke it.

Actually, Yulia specifically has many and very vocal haters on russian forums. I wouldnt say numbers, but its pretty common to see people popping up to say how rude and spoild and blablabla she is.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I always try to give the benefit of a doubt. If she was a monster she would not have so much success with Yulia, Medvedeva, Zagitova, and we shall see who else this season. And that she has a lot of haters is beyond doubt. Someone on sports.ru made many page long "analysis" just to prove that Shcherbakova's and Trusova's quads were fakes made for Eteri's PR.

I am sorry about Adian. Skaters got injured. I don't know details of his injury, how it started, who is to blame. But I would not trust the posts of those who never had doubts that his "terrible back injury" was only because Eteri forced him to skate despite the pain. That she disregarded medical examination, etc. Any proof to that? If it is true we could expect Medvedeva and Zagitova ending up the same any day. Or may there is something else to it?
Nobody on either side has provided any proof of anything, not even first-hand accounts. It is all speculation. So we are all free to believe who we choose to believe.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Actually, Yulia specifically has many and very vocal haters on russian forums. I wouldnt say numbers, but its pretty common to see people popping up to say how rude and spoild and blablabla she is.
Yulia also has a lot of fans, substantially more than haters I'd say. In fact, some of the haters seem to hate specifically the fact that Yulia has so many fans. Yulia is someone who elicits strong reactions in people - and so does Kovtun, but the balance of haters and fans is rather different in his case.

ewdokia

On the Ice
Also, if bashing Eteri for letting young kids do quads, i suppose we also should add to bash list:
- Brian Orser for Gogolev..
The big difference is that I wouldn’t call Gogolev an artist on the ice. At least for now components don’t seem to be his strength. So I can see why Orser is more focusing on jumps. Anna Shtcherbakova on the other hand is a shining artist already right now at age 13. To achieve good results there is no need to teach her quads. Conclusion: if quads in her case are not needed for results, they are probably moreover needed to satisfy her coaches ego.

And there is one more big difference between Brian Orser and Eteri: Brian Orser has an individual approach, if one of his skaters needs special preparation (like Yuzuru with his Asthma), he will take it into account. And he takes care of his students’ injuries, like he didn’t force Yu Na to skate on an injured back, but toned down jump training and allowed her to cure it. Like Yuzuru cured his foot after worlds.

But talking about a bash list regarding quads with youngsters: I’d put ISU on my bash list here. I think they need to do something, either not allowing quads at Juniors or at least limit their amount or bring back figures for Juniors (as a result kids would have less time to practice jumps, as they would also need some time to practice figures). I they will not take care of it now, no longer then ten years and only few skaters will even make it to seniors. I don’t want to watch a sport, where most kids end up crippled. :(

ewdokia

On the Ice
Thanks for that link re Adian's illness before the Euros, I thought after reading the interview that something didn't add up as I vaguely remembered that Adian was ill then. If she was lying then - protecting her student - it was far too detailed statement of his condition and the treatment he received whereas a one liner would suffice. It is not the first time Eteri changed the story - I remember how at first it was known that Yulia herself chose the SL music against Eteri's will, but later on after all the acclaim the program received Eteri was trying to imply it was actually her idea.:shrug:
About Adian it’s not only the details in Eteri’s interview. She wasn’t protecting him. A friend of mine was in Russia that time and confirmed to me that he was already sick at Nationals. So actually in this case I know for sure that Eteri’s interview after Euros was correct, while she made things look totally different recently. However, her latest interview is actually proof that she forced Adian to skate at Euros: he didn’t want to skate there, as he was sick. Eteri insisted on it. And regarding Sergei’s behavior we have two versions as well. Looks her mind changes as soon as her student leave her. :dumb: