2017-2018 Programs by Discipline | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Programs by Discipline

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
He performed it at Fantasy on Ice recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7fs0HeygrA It's possible that it will evolve over the course of the season, but there are no indications that that's the case.

I am sorry, but where did you read that one? I would love to see the source?

With the jumping passes redistributed it is already different but more importantly, Jeff has been busy and is still doing FaOI too, so until he's free the SP will be as it is, a very rough draft or of course, they may work on it now, between the stops. Not to mention that Shirota-san has actually said that they will expand the program during the summer shows. So I'd love to know the source of the claim that they won't touch the choreography or is it just your conclusion based on whatever?

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
I am sorry, but where did you read that one? I would love to see the source?

With the jumping passes redistributed it is already different but more importantly, Jeff has been busy and is still doing FaOI too, so until he's free the SP will be as it is, a very rough draft or of course, they may work on it now, between the stops. Not to mention that Shirota-san has actually said that they will expand the program during the summer shows. So I'd love to know the source of the claim that they won't touch the choreography or is it just your conclusion based on whatever?

I think you misread the poster's English. "There are no indications that that's the case" does NOT mean "There is proof that the opposite is the case." Merely that there is no proof that the program will change. It would be more constructive for you to point out that there is also no proof that the program won't change, due to various factors like Jeff's schedule. Instead you're coming off as very defensive and aggressive toward the poster who never once claimed to have proof of anything. Did you miss the part where they said "It's possible it will evolve over the course of the season"?

Neenah16

On the Ice
I think you misread the poster's English. "There are no indications that that's the case" does NOT mean "There is proof that the opposite is the case." Merely that there is no proof that the program will change. It would be more constructive for you to point out that there is also no proof that the program won't change, due to various factors like Jeff's schedule. Instead you're coming off as very defensive and aggressive toward the poster who never once claimed to have proof of anything. Did you miss the part where they said "It's possible it will evolve over the course of the season"?

Maybe it is an English problem (I am not a native speaker), as I had the same idea that Yatagarasu did after reading the posts, which is why I asked if there is an interview I missed.

chillgil

Match Penalty
Like the Shibutani's sticking with Coldplay, he would be well within his right to stay in his comfort zone and choose another classical piece, but to reuse the same exact program without so much as rethinking the choreo is just a disappointment..

just to jump in quickly, if you watch closely his transitions from element to element has changed, and you can see his choreography has improved and changed as well

and i dont think its fair to judge a program this early in the (season? pre-season?) it's only may and he's in the middle of working ice shows...looking at it from a logical standpoint i dont think he has had any time to work with choreographers and coaches to make any changes....i mean i feel like any criticisms toward any skaters based solely on their choice of music is shallow at this point just because we havent seen the actual programs

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Alex Johnson USA

SP-Legends by Sacred Spirit (Tom Dickson choreo)
LP-Mea Culpa and Sadeness by Enigma (Rohene Ward choreo)

Last edited:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I think you misread the poster's English.

I am not misunderstanding anything. Just above, the same poster:

Like the Shibutani's sticking with Coldplay, he would be well within his right to stay in his comfort zone and choose another classical piece, but to reuse the same exact program without so much as rethinking the choreo is just a disappointment.

If they're going to claim Yuzuru is going to "reuse the exact program without so much as rethinking the choreo" then yes, I would like to see the source of that claim.

His statement that there are no indications is also incorrect, as there very much are. So if they're making claims of that sort, I would love to know based on what.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
I am not misunderstanding anything. Just above, the same poster:

If they're going to claim Yuzuru is going to "reuse the exact program without so much as rethinking the choreo" then yes, I would like to see the source of that claim.

His statement that there are no indications is also incorrect, as there very much are. So if they're making claims of that sort, I would love to know based on what.

Based on the Fantasy on Ice video, which the poster shared in another post.

Their speculation might be extremely premature, and they even acknowledge that. Again:

He performed it at Fantasy on Ice recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7fs0HeygrA It's possible that it will evolve over the course of the season, but there are no indications that that's the case.

But you're selectively choosing statements by this poster and ignoring others in order to be aggressive and argumentative.

In addition, if there are indications that the program will change, it is very possible that not everyone in the world knows that information, and so kindly sharing that information is helpful. However, people should still be able to draw opinions based on what they do know, without getting snide responses.

Last edited:

beki

Medalist
The choreography has already changed; it's not a carbon copy. We'll have to wait and see the extent of the rethinking. I'm not sold on the repetition period, no matter how extensive the revision, but it's already inaccurate to say there is no change.

LeCygne

Final Flight
Didn't mean to start anything with my previous post. Of course there might be slight changes here and there (you can hardly expect him to skate the same exact program step for step), but fundamentally it's the same program as far as we can tell. He and Jeff may indeed work on tweaking things when their schedules allow, but it's still the same program at its core. I was making the comparison to Mao's Nocturne, which she completely re-choreographed into a different program for Sochi. Shoma Uno also comes to mind as having stated explicitly that he wants to challenge himself and show growth from the last time he skated to Turandot. As far as I know, Yuzu has not indicated anything along those lines (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) and has not demonstrated conscious intent to create a different performance or program judging by his recent performance, which is the strongest evidence we have thus far. There is no speculation in any of the above.

It also seems to me like if he really had concrete plans to rework (and not just touch up) the program, he would probably wait until after that's done to debut it in a show. It's not as if he doesn't have other exhibition programs he could have skated; the only benefit to skating a SP in a summer show is to get more experience putting it out there. To me that benefit seems reduced if the program isn't as near final form as possible at that given time, which suggests to me that he is unlikely to change the program significantly. THIS is my speculation.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alex Johnson USA

Let's divert to a subject I'm more interested in than Yuzu, as brilliant as he may be.

Has Rohene ever done choreo for a senior singles man outside the 7k camp? (or who wasn't coached by Kori in the pre-7k days?) Alex Johnson seems like a perfect fit outside of Jason. Have no clue about the music, but will be interested in the result....

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Let's divert to a subject I'm more interested in than Yuzu, as brilliant as he may be.

Has Rohene ever done choreo for a senior singles man outside the 7k camp? (or who wasn't coached by Kori in the pre-7k days?) Alex Johnson seems like a perfect fit outside of Jason. Have no clue about the music, but will be interested in the result....

Jimmy Ma?

http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/profile/jimmy_ma

Also isn't Page Lipe Rohene's old Coach? Because she is listed as one of Alex's coaches still on wiki and Icenetwork. So maybe he is part of the family.

beki

Medalist
Didn't mean to start anything with my previous post. Of course there might be slight changes here and there (you can hardly expect him to skate the same exact program step for step), but fundamentally it's the same program as far as we can tell. He and Jeff may indeed work on tweaking things when their schedules allow, but it's still the same program at its core. I was making the comparison to Mao's Nocturne, which she completely re-choreographed into a different program for Sochi. Shoma Uno also comes to mind as having stated explicitly that he wants to challenge himself and show growth from the last time he skated to Turandot. As far as I know, Yuzu has not indicated anything along those lines (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) and has not demonstrated conscious intent to create a different performance or program judging by his recent performance, which is the strongest evidence we have thus far. There is no speculation in any of the above.

It also seems to me like if he really had concrete plans to rework (and not just touch up) the program, he would probably wait until after that's done to debut it in a show. It's not as if he doesn't have other exhibition programs he could have skated; the only benefit to skating a SP in a summer show is to get more experience putting it out there. To me that benefit seems reduced if the program isn't as near final form as possible at that given time, which suggests to me that he is unlikely to change the program significantly. THIS is my speculation.

Your speculation makes sense :) As of yet, he hasn't said much of anything. His manager Shirota-san announced the music choice.

As for Shoma, I don't have any more positive feelings toward his project. What Javi is doing makes sense to me—his long is becoming a short, and he is revisiting it after a period of many years. He can truly be said to be a transformed by time, with years of maturity to inform his renewed approach to old material. Shoma, like other successful skaters, shows incremental improvement each season, but I don't see enough meaningful transformation in just a couple of years at the outset of his career to choose a career retrospective piece like Javi and Mao. Not that the program will be bad, but the grand rationale is just pretty words to me. Like Yuzu, he could show more challenge and growth by tackling something else.

Sorry el henry not to pick up on your new topic! I don't know any more than you about what Rohene has done in the past, but I am VERY intrigued by the matchup with Alex. And thank god, some music that hasn't been done to death.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jimmy Ma?

http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/profile/jimmy_ma

Also isn't Page Lipe Rohene's old Coach? Because she is listed as one of Alex's coaches still on wiki and Icenetwork. So maybe he is part of the family.

That sounds about right. And Rohene is in Minneapolis performing this week. Not that he needs an excuse to return home...:)

Did not know about Jimmy Ma. Wasn't he the one who did the Slim Shady program? Major props for outside-the-box on that one.:rock:

Nathan13

Medalist

I have been waiting for so long for someone to skate to this song--I'm pretty sure I even posted about it in the Impossible Wishes thread last year (or maybe it was last year's programs thread) :yahoo: this is so perfect for them and I cannot wait to see it :hap57:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
:honestly these two might be able to perform a good rock'n'roll FD. WHY ?

This would be so much better. (Though it might pale against Stepanova & Bukin's SD from last season).

It had better be good, Mr. Zhulin, because I was so very done with Rachmaninoff 2 after the umpteenth viewing of Chock & Bates's FD only one year ago.

Weathergal

Medalist
Alex Johnson USA

I am really excited about these music choices and think that Alex will do a great job with them! I know the odds of him getting a GP are very slim, but I'm hoping he'll get some Senior Bs this fall.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Alex Johnson USA

He posted some clips of his programs and it looks gorgeous, esp love SP but thats expected from Tom :love: i just love the way he moves, if only he got "quads" we could see him more often :cry: i hope we can see him more at least at Senior Bs :cheer: