2017 CS Lombardia Trophy Mens LP | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2017 CS Lombardia Trophy Mens LP

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yuzuru wasn't here, was he? I wish we could stop this. He hasn't even competed this season, nor did Javier, Patrick or Boyang. There is no need to compare the scores at this point, as the season has barely started.

We just have to take a look at Shoma's scores at Worlds where he was similarly clean - so why is it so surprising that he's getting the same scores now? I know, some folks are choking on their bitterness right now, but THIS is reality. He's the Worlds Silver Medalist. He is in his third senior season. The judges see him as a Gold Medal threat. No matter what alternate year some live in - this is how it is in the 2017/2018 season.

Thank you. It is such a relief that not every thread here becomes a Yuzuru thread...And don't forget Shoma is a National Champion also. It doesn't matter how much his bashers ridiculed and laughed at him. He is still the Japanese champion.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
He is still the Japanese champion.

Sure he is. While Yuzuru Hanyu was hospitalized with the flu. We really do ought to mention that, considering that when they did go one against the other, in the GPF and Worlds, it was Hanyu who came out on top.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
He seemed a bit out of breath at the end (thankfully didn't show it during the program). The program looks so easy, but that's probably the biggest selling point of it -- the point of for it to flow and be light, but it requires a LOT of exertion cause the choreography is so complex.

I'm looking forward to seeing the 3Z-1L-3F back....that combo is much more effective with that point of the music.

Yeah I would agree that he was out of breath - he was smiling with his mouth open showing his teeth which he never does otherwise.

He seemed to be thinking his way through the first half, probably because of the changes. As a result, his posture and movement in places weren't quite as beautiful as usual. But kudos to him for pulling it together on the fly, especially following a disappointing short.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well well.. i came here to say congrats to shoma... i slept through all of this... YAY ME FOR SLEEPING!!!!! and I see Yuzu's name everywhere... as far as I know, Yuzu wasn't skating...so can we focus on those present??? I'd like to read the comments later on if they are relevant to what happened there...
so : also, i saw the protocols... wow.. shoma is cray cray :) good for you for the 5 quads !!!! YAY!!!! and to all the "shoma cannot lutz naysayers" how do you feel about him ditching his 3lz and just adding on a second quad flip?

bravo to brendan kerry for a podium finish as well : is it his first international podium?

keasus

On the Ice
Pending seeing Adam at Finlandia---it's clear that Nathan, Vincent, Max and Jason are in the horse race at this point. I don't see any super dark horses yet.

I would love to see Joshua Farris on that list. Here's hoping he is healthy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yeah I would agree that he was out of breath - he was smiling with his mouth open showing his teeth which he never does otherwise.

He seemed to be thinking his way through the first half, probably because of the changes. As a result, his posture and movement in places weren't quite as beautiful as usual. But kudos to him for pulling it together on the fly, especially following a disappointing short.

Well it's nice to see it with triples at least. I really love this program, but it was hard to fully appreciate it with double jumps (I saw the Glacier Falls performance like twice on IN but haven't really gone back). I obviously wished we could see a quad attempt, but it was the appropriate step up from where he was in August with the program.

The short is pretty demanding too. I won't be surprised if we see Jason muddle through for a few more months while he tries to incorporate the quad(s) in both programs.

I would love to see Joshua Farris on that list. Here's hoping he is healthy.

Yes, I'd like to see Josh on this list too...but we have not seen him at all, which makes it hard to place him. He still has quite a bit of time until NHK.

Last edited:

SKY1118

Rinkside
Country
Olympic
bravo to brendan kerry for a podium finish as well : is it his first international podium?

Not his first international podium, but very likely his first "more recognized" international podium?
As I know he won in certain international competition over Kevin Reynolds to be the champion, but apparently I don't have much idea on that particular competition...
But yes, good to see him on the podium :)

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^Considering the short time Jason has had this FS, I think he did very well with it. I'm sure it has to be hard to try to put in all his special touches when he's still dealing with the choreo. It will come though! Many seemed to be struggling a bit with their stamina. I Hope he felt that it was a satisfying competition.

Seruleane

Final Flight
I really like Shoma, but I have to say, I prefer his original Turandot program. I'm sad they got rid of the fast part in the middle for his footwork sequence, as it helped give the program variation, whereas currently, the music feels slightly repetitive during the footwork sequence. Maybe I will change me mind later in the season, but gosh, his original Turandot was so good, why change it?

gmyers

Record Breaker
Uno did so many good quality quads it was incredible! 122 tech. Amazing. Winner all the quads second place no quads at all. Quads are irelevent for brown and he doesn't need them and since rule changes are coming he could be looking at easy wins in very competition after 2018 maybe. Or maybe 2022.

Icey

Record Breaker
Jason is always a pleasure to watch and I really like his fs music. Is there some reason he doesn't do 3/3's? I think it will probably be very difficult for him to medal at the Olympics, considering the depth and tech advantage of his competition.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Jason is always a pleasure to watch and I really like his fs music. Is there some reason he doesn't do 3/3's? I think it will probably be very difficult for him to medal at the Olympics, considering the depth and tech advantage of his competition.

I think he had planned one for the second 3A, but the landing was rough so he opted for a 2t.

noskates

Record Breaker
Jason has always had a 3/3 in his program. Just the situation, I gues, like Mrs. P said.

nimi

Medalist
I really like Shoma, but I have to say, I prefer his original Turandot program. I'm sad they got rid of the fast part in the middle for his footwork sequence, as it helped give the program variation, whereas currently, the music feels slightly repetitive during the footwork sequence. Maybe I will change me mind later in the season, but gosh, his original Turandot was so good, why change it?
I liked the Turandot 1.0 music cut better, too, but OTOH I guess it's nice that it's not exactly the same music and same choreo. :shrug:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
FWIW, Jason seemed slightly surprised at his PCS score. He will probably take it nonetheless, but I think he'd agree with you. :laugh:

Yes, that's the impression I had too. Jason has always been a very humble young man. One of the many, many reasons he his so darn likeable! :luv17:

and to all the "shoma cannot lutz naysayers" how do you feel about him ditching his 3lz and just adding on a second quad flip?

It's a very good and smart move.
How exactly would him taking it out annoy the "lutz naysayers" or proof them wrong? :scratch2:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Uno did so many good quality quads it was incredible! 122 tech. Amazing. Winner all the quads second place no quads at all. Quads are irelevent for brown and he doesn't need them and since rule changes are coming he could be looking at easy wins in very competition after 2018 maybe. Or maybe 2022.

Really? It depends on what he wants, I guess, but imho he needs a quad. At least one 4T. We're at a Senior B here and the competition wasn't what one would call world class. Then look at the point gap between Jason and Shoma. If you're happy to be in the Top 10 and content then okay, but it seems to me he isn't. And the rule change won't help THAT much.