2017-2018 Programs by Discipline | Page 86 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Programs by Discipline

lecorbusier

Rinkside
At least Yuzu skated a different themed SP last season. But obviously I'm against someone repeating a program for 3 full seasons and his decision to do it is creating a massively negative example for the rest of the skating world.

I didn't realize he was that powerful....even more powerful than Lysacek's 4 seasons of Espana Cani. Amazing. Golly gee maybe the ISU should step in and do something.
https://media.giphy.com/media/3o72F8t9TDi2xVnxOE/giphy.gif

But seriously some of you are kinda making this a bigger deal than what it is. Considering we are all used to seeing 8000 Carmens usually at this time, I fail to see the OTT reactions. :rolleye:

chillgil

Match Penalty
At least Yuzu skated a different themed SP last season. But obviously I'm against someone repeating a program for 3 full seasons and his decision to do it is creating a massively negative example for the rest of the skating world.

yeah wow i cant believe yuzuru hanyu single handedly started the trend of repeating programs in figure skating

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I didn't realize he was that powerful....even more powerful than Lysacek's 4 seasons of Espana Cani.

Yuzuru is considered the best and most prolific skater in the world these days. Why would he not be much more powerful and influential than Lysacek early in his career?

It's also not just about him using the same SP for the 3rd time, but additionally repeating a LP in the same season. He is showing nothing new at all in the Olympic season. That has NEVER been done by a singles skater in the past 25 years. It has historically always been considered something you don't do. Yuzuru doing it is a big signal of normalization for the entire skating world to repeat programs as much as possible and not explore creative paths.

Also, Lysacek didn't repeat that program internationally on the Senior level for 4 seasons and he at least tried a different SP during the Olympic season (but it ending up not working). The rules were also constantly changing during that time period, so the step sequences and spins in the program got re-choreographed multiple times.

Roast Toast

Medalist
I don't like the fact that Yuzu is repeating both programs either (mostly because it seems strange coming from him so I'm worried his team is keeping secrets again). However, your claim that he is to blame for other skaters following suit is just ridiculous. Him doing it doesn't absolve them of their own lack of creativity. Believe it or not, skaters are capable of making their own choices! Repeat programs happen every Olympic season, and no one remembers or cares. In any case, considering how popular Osmond's SP was with the judges and the fanbase last season, it was really only a matter of time before she went back to it anyway :p

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
However, your claim that he is to blame for other skaters following suit is just ridiculous. Him doing it doesn't absolve them of their own lack of creativity.

In their minds it does. Also in the minds of judges unfortunately.

We can not directly "blame" him for everyone suddenly deciding to repeat programs after he announced his decision to double repeat for this Olympics, but the implications of his decision are absolutely clear.

I'm not against repeating a program in certain circumstances, but it should really only happen if the skater never executed a program to full potential or if it was an exceedingly special program and the skater hasn't been able to create anything worthwhile for the Olympic season. For example, I wish Hanyu had repeated his 2012 program in 2014 with a couple choreographic improvements (and I also advocated for Fernandez to do Chaplin again). Hanyu's "sequel" to Romeo + Juliet was awful and should have been ditched, but lucky for him nobody delivered at the Olympics, so it ending up working out...at least in terms of getting a medal. In terms of helping figure skating itself, what the Men did at 2014 Olympics was a huge discredit to the sport and hurt the interest in figure skating even more.

Yuzuru's SP is not some kind of all-time great artistic statement and it's never going to be with the current focus on Quads and the rules in place that force him to do certain moves in the spins and footwork, working against interpreting the music perfectly. The program was at its best in 2015, when he opened with an effortless 3Axel inbetween spread eagles, and ever since then it has gone down in artistic value. It's extremely annoying that no effort is being put in to come up with something better; a program that will allow him to show off a "serious maturity" (clearly what he wants to show with Chopin) while better incorporating the technical elements. Seimei also has some specific weaknesses that are never going to be fixed with his current focus on the Quads.

chillgil

Match Penalty
Yuzuru's SP is not some kind of all-time great artistic statement and it's never going to be with the current focus on Quads and the rules in place that force him to do certain moves in the spins and footwork, working against interpreting the music perfectly. The program was at its best in 2015, when he opened with an effortless 3Axel inbetween spread eagles, and ever since then it has gone down in artistic value. It's extremely annoying that no effort is being put in to come up with something better; a program that will allow him to show off a "serious maturity" (clearly what he wants to show with Chopin) while better incorporating the technical elements. Seimei also has some specific weaknesses that are never going to be fixed with his current focus on the Quads.

idk he got the all time highest PCS score in Chopin 2.0 and that was with, believe it or not, with two quads and, as you say, forced stsq and spins that were totally out of place.

wait have you seen the new seimei program??? where in the world did you get your hands on that because i am have been DYING to see it, please share your link with us!!! i mean, you've had to have seen it in order to say with such bold confidence that Seimei will never be improved upon.

and maybe i should share this sentiment in the other thread about repeating programs but really i dont see the difference between picking and updating an old program, and picking a song with a jump layout and tone that is almost the exact same as your program last year. many skaters do this and there isn't nearly as much of an uproar about it. ex: javi, patrick chan, shoma (these are not attacks towards these skaters as i love them and i have no problem with a skater staying in their comfort zone in order to perform truly to their brand)

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I applaud Nathan Chen's music choices this season of "Nemesis" for the SP and the soundtrack of Mao's Last Dancer including a piece from "Rite of Spring", a very bold piece to use, for the LP.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Kaetlyn also tried a new SP this year. It was not the show-stopper she wanted it to be so she went back. Kudos to her for trying it out for months and months.

So now La La Land has one medal with Liam Firus.

Nathan's music choices are interesting. Here's his FS if anyone missed it: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x60x0zw

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
I hate hate hate how many skaters are repeating programs this year. :disapp: I understand all the reasons, but as a viewer I just can't stand it. TOO. MANY. REPEATS. It's almost an epidemic right now.

blackey

On the Ice
This might be answered before, but does anyone know who did the choreography for Nathan's LP? Very interesting choice, I'm wondering who chose that music.

shine

Record Breaker
This might be answered before, but does anyone know who did the choreography for Nathan's LP? Very interesting choice, I'm wondering who chose that music.
Lori Nichol. She must have felt inspired this time.

icetigger

On the Ice
I hate hate hate how many skaters are repeating programs this year. :disapp: I understand all the reasons, but as a viewer I just can't stand it. TOO. MANY. REPEATS. It's almost an epidemic right now.

I think it underscores how ice skaters really aren't in any way artists. They are people that learn jumps and moves and choreography in order to compete and ice skate generally. Of course there are exceptions.

Whereas it doesn't bother me that Kaetlyn Osmond is repeating again because I don't think her programmes come across in anyway as being her authentic expression, so it doesn't undermine my perception of her; that Yuzuru is repeating two programmes does, because both Seimei and Chopin gave a sense of being of a new style that is personal to him; and to not be creating work doesn't suggest that functioning as an artist is important to him, and that he therefore isn't one. What is worse though, is that he is setting up a precedent for years to come that skaters have three years where they try out and repeat material, and then in the Olympic year pick their greatest hits; and the situation now in 2018 will be much worse in 2022. If he gets gold that will be the likely outcome; and I don't want a year where I am given nothing new to watch, and all we are getting served up is refried programmes.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
I think it underscores how ice skaters really aren't in any way artists.

They used to be and many (most) of them still want to be. They just aren't allowed much anymore and don't get rewarded enough for it, nor coached enough in this manner.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Lori Nichol. She must have felt inspired this time.

WTH.. unbelievable. Why can't Han Yan get program of this quality instead of 2nd rated clown in chinese waiter costume type programs. Argghh... frustrating.

sheetz

Record Breaker
It should be noted that Nathan also consulted with famed ballet dancer Alex Wong to add in more details to his choreography.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Ice dance programs from CS Lombardia Trophy.

Loboda and Drozd FD "music" is hazardous to your health :bang:

No.NameNation
1Viktoria SEMENJUK / Artur GRUZDEV
SD: Rhumba: Addicted to You performed by Avicii, Samba: Oh La La performed by Los Chicos; choreo by Lea Rand
FD: Nagada Sang Dhol by Ram-Leela, Dhoop by Ram-Leela, Tattad Tattad by Ram-Leela; choreo by Lea Rand
EST
2Cecilia TÖRN / Jussiville PARTANEN
SD: Samba: Sambando performed by Los Ritmos Calientes, Rhumba: Con Los Anos Que Me Quedan performed by Thalia, Samba: Are You Ready? performed by Alessandro Olivato; choreo by M. Margaglio, P. Mezzadri, M. Zueva, M. Scali
FD Funny Face Ouverture by George Gershwin, I've Got A Crush On You performed by Barbara Streisand, Frank Sinatra, Funny Face Ouverture by George Gershwin; choreo by M. Margaglio, P. Mezzadri, M. Zueva, M. Scali
FIN
3Juulia TURKKILA / Matthias VERSLUIS
SD: Bella María de Mi Alma, and a Samba
FD: Ghost the musical soundtrack
FIN
4Adelina GALAYAVIEVA / Laurent ABECASSIS
SD: Satellite
FD: Pop Hits through time: Hound Dog by Elvis Presley, Money Honey by Elvis Presley, Respect by Aretha Franklin, YounShould Be Dancing by the Bee Gees, Thriller by Michael Jackson
I Want It That Way by Backstreet Boys, Can't Hold Us by Macklemore, The Shape of You by Ed Sheeran
FRA
5Lilah FEAR / Lewis GIBSON
SD: Run by Tiggs the Author, Temptation by Diana Krall, Maria by Ricky Martin
FD: West Side Story soundtrack: Maria, Symphonic Dances, Somewhere, America
GBR
WDAnna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE
SD: Cha-Cha-Cha "Kaboom" by Ursula 1000, Samba "Skip to the Beep" by "Club des Belugas", Samba "1 to 8"
FD: "La Vita e bella"
ITA
7Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI
SD: Bajo la Tormenta by Sergio George's Salsa Giants, Con los Años Que Me Quedan by Gloria Estefan, Eu Te Amo by the Ministry of Beat
FD: Exogenesis: Symphony Part III, Redemption, by Muse
ITA
8Jasmine TESSARI / Francesco FIORETTI
SD: La Vida Es un Caunaval by Issac Delgado, Dos Gardenias by Carmen Cuesta,Vive el Verano by Paulina Rubio
FD: E lucevan le stelle from Tosca; perforformed by Pavarotti
ITA
9Rikako FUKASE / Aru TATENO
SD: Seniorita Bonita by Tape Five, Tequila by Tape Five, Que Rico El Mambo by Pérez Prado
FD: Hello Dolly
JPN
10Misato KOMATSUBARA / Timothy KOLETO
SD: Ahora Quien by Marc Anthony; Samba do Brasil by Bellini (Radio Remix)
FD: Where is it Written? (Yentl) by Barbra Streisand; Sabrina: End Credits by John Williams; A Piece of Sky (Yentl) by Barbra Streisand
JPN
11Alla LOBODA / Pavel DROZD
SD: Lagardinho by Claudia Leitte, Diles by Malú, Toma Que Toma by Trio el Ventilador
FD: Chicago soundtrack, including Cell Block Tango and All That Jazz; choreo by Benoit Richaud
RUS
12Lucie MYSLIVECKOVA / Lukas CSOLLEY
SD: Tico Tico, and Historia de un Amor; choreo by Corrado Giordani, Barbara Fusar Poli
FD: Mein Herr, Maybe This Time, and Caberet, performed by Liza Minelli; choreo by Corrado Giordani, Barbara Fusar Poli
SVK
13Victoria MANNI / Carlo RÖTHLISBERGER
SD: Cha Cha: I Like It Like That by Pete Rodriguez, Rhumba: Beautiful Maria of My Soul by Andy Fortuna, Samba: Do U Only Wanna Dance by Cucco Pena; choreo by Matthew Gates, Svetlana Kulikova, Barbara Riboldi
FD: 16 Tons by LeAnn Rimes, Tush by ZZTop; choreo by Matthew Gates, Svetlana Kulikova, Barbara Riboldi
SUI
14Alexandra NAZAROVA / Maxim NIKITIN
SD: Chivirico by Pérez Prado, Cucurrucucú Paloma by Pérez Prado, La Pantero Mambo by La-33
FD: Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack: Hoist the Colours, Jack Sparrow, Wheel of Fortune, Main Title Theme
UKR
15Elliana POGREBINSKY / Alex BENOIT
SD: "Baddest Girl in Town" by Pitbull, "Lo So Che Finira" by Anna Tatangelo, "Bailar" by Deorro ft. Elvis Crespo; choreo by Igor Shpilband
FD: "I Put a Spell on You" Annie Lennox; choreo by Igor Shpilband
USA

Last edited:

treeloving

Medalist
Nathan'sp is not my style of music but it is quite original routine and his body movement is superb. I wish he use Rite of Spring alone for his LP though, he has skills to pull it off.