2017 GP Skate America Ladies FS | Page 77 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate America Ladies FS

mikeko666

Final Flight
Sadly to many people here, it's ok for Kaori to not get the gold she deserves because she is just another Japanese girl, and the gold was for another Japanese girl.

Yes, they are just random Japanese girls, but Satoko is a World Silver medalist and three-time national champion.
And this is just a GPS. You never know, ISU judges kept overlooking Mao's URs and 2-foots in GPS, but gave her fair calls at Sochi Olympics.

charlotte14

Medalist
The difference between Wagner and Medvedeva, in a nutshell.
How do you know how much pain she is suffering though? I had to buy a new pair of shoes and it hurt me the whole week I could barely walk. Ashley has infection in her foot and it's a miracle she could still land some jumps.

charlotte14

Medalist
Yes, they are just random Japanese girls, but Satoko is a World Silver medalist and three-times national champion.
And this is just a GPS. You never know, ISU judges kept overlooking Mao's URs and 2-foots in GPS, but gave her fair calls at Sochi Olympics.
I have nothing against Satoko but if tech panel keeps treating her that way, it is unfair to other ladies who actually fully rotates their jumps. And in this case they're lucky because it's Kaori, the unremarkable Japanese girl whom everyone forget because she's not as memorable as Marin Honda/Wakaba Higuchi/Mai Mihara even though her jumps are better than all of them.

randomfan

Record Breaker
I have nothing against Satoko but if tech panel keeps treating her that way, it is unfair to other ladies who actually fully rotates their jumps. And in this case they're lucky because it's Kaori, the unremarkable Japanese girl whom everyone forget because she's not as memorable as Marin Honda/Wakaba Higuchi/Mai Mihara even though her jumps are better than all of them.

I think you need to calm down. I’m a big fan of both Kaori and Satoko, and I think Kaori should’ve won too, but you’re kinda getting out of control here (you’ve posted wuzrobbed posts in 4 threads in the last few minutes).

mrrice

Record Breaker
The problem is---WHAT other US lady? Many ladies with potential skated in the JGP this season and were ineligible for the GP. Angela Wang and Caroline Zhang were at Tallinn this week (and Angela bombed).

How about Courtney Hicks.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wouldn't call what Angela did was BOMB. She skated a fantastic SP and was in the top 3. She should have actually been higher in the SP there TBH. She had a bad LP and that's allowed. She's been skating wonderfully since coming back from her injury last season and has been on several podiums since.

Sorry, but two triples and one combination qualifies a freeskate as a bomb:

3f↓, 3z, 1lo, 3lo^2a, 3f<↓+rep, 2s, 2a

I love Angela too, but it's hard to love this FS. I just hope she hasn't sustained another injury.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Dick Button won't even watch figure skating any more. He said it isn't the skaters' fault, but it's the rules.

That's too bad

I think Dick became rather cranky towards the end but he was able to be critical without coming off like a snot (no offence Johnny) and while many of Peggy's overall remarks were rather superficial she was always able to sneak in some entertaining passive aggressive snark :laugh:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Sorry, but two triples and one combination qualifies a freeskate as a bomb:

3f↓, 3z, 1lo, 3lo^2a, 3f<↓+rep, 2s, 2a

I love Angela too, but it's hard to love this FS. I just hope she hasn't sustained another injury.

By whose terms? Yours?

Sorry but everyone is allowed a bad skate and that has been hers this season. The top ladies in the US haven't done much better. As much as I love Karen our current reigning champ isn't skating all that magnificently either.

Angela has fantastic skating skills, fast smooth movements across the ice and nice height on her jumps. Not many of the US ladies can say that right now.

mrrice

Record Breaker
By whose terms? Yours?

Sorry but everyone is allowed a bad skate and that has been hers this season. The top ladies in the US haven't done much better. As much as I love Karen our current reigning champ isn't skating all that magnificently either.

Angela has fantastic skating skills, fast smooth movements across the ice and nice height on her jumps. Not many of the US ladies can say that right now.

This is true about Angela and that's why I get so passionate when I talk about her. I have seen her live and she is all the things you just listed. She has beautiful technique and her programs are interesting and well choreographed. Her Ladies in Lavender LP was one the best programs I had ever seen from a Junior Skater.

temadd

Final Flight
Maybe its just because she's so small and looks so young but to me Satoko never skated like a woman. There something about her skating that screams pageant princess to me. When she's skating her movements look like she's presenting a rehearsed pageant routine for the judges/audience. Wakaba Higuchi on the other hand skates like a woman. Kaori (who I agree should have won) looked like some character out of a MGM musical which is totally fine by me (her enthusiasm was contagious) ;)

Thank you, I was kind of afraid to say that with so many Satoko fans here but I find nothing attractive about her arm movements. I appreciate that she has great skating skills but from the waist up i find her movements to be somewhat stiff and awkward (yes kind of like a pageant queen).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
By whose terms? Yours?

I agree---when Angela skates well, she is very, very good. She skated well at Finlandia and finished 4th behind Sotskova, Kostner and Tuktamysheva.

Finlandia FS 3f+3t+2t, 3z, 3lo, 3lo^1a, 3f<+2t, 3s, 2a Score: 121.31

Unfortunately, she didn't skate as well in the Tallinn Trophy FS and scored 97.54. Let's hope that is her worst performance of the year and she has her best at US Nationals.

Karen's FS at SA: 3z+3t<, 3f!, 2a+1lo+3s<, 3z, 3lo, 3s+2t, 2a. It was far from the best she can do, but 123.27 was her Seasons Best so far.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
No. They won't listen no matter how many complaints since Tara and Johnny crapfest started almost 4 years ago.

They just prove even further that it's all about ratings for NBC and they could give a crap about what the true fans and skaters themselves want for this sports representation which is in the toilet right now.

ETA: Tara and Johnny said so many on air rude and false statements I know many who flipped the tv off in the US.

I can say with certainty that the bird was flying free today in my house...

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Feel sorry for ashley

She is fun Tom watch usually and she is still fighting for her dream. Please Ashley you don’t owe anyone more than a sentence. She likely could not withdraw early. Only she knows how bad I saw her ankle but clearly she said it was a strategic decision. She is concerned she was going to come in in the bottom 6. So what. She sells seats for skate America that is why she did not withdraw. Her Sp had the usual problems. And her LP despite being lovely was on the road to the same.

She has not withdrawn from anything ever I recall so let’s give her a pass. Johnny Weir is a jerk and always has been a jerk. Tara is a spoiled girl who only won in her life. She is too harsh.

Anyway CBC is much better. Also B Esp.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sometimes you have to laugh at the so-called experts.

On NBC, Tara went out on a limb and said she thought Bradie might make the Olympic team.

On BESP, the guys said she could be a medal contender at the Olympics.

Personally, I thought it was a technical marvel from an American woman, but there is plenty for her to work on stylistically. Still, what a good moment for her, and an out of the blue pleasure for me to watch.

Her SP and LP are plenty good enough to win a US title this season if she can reproduce the performance - and that speaks more to the general weakness of American women than anything else.

ks777

Record Breaker
I know Johnny and Tara are annoying but I don't know about Ashley Wagner and Adam Rippon.... they are all drama queens so I bet they can't stop talking about themselves.. me me me!!!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I agree---when Angela skates well, she is very, very good. She skated well at Finlandia and finished 4th behind Sotskova, Kostner and Tuktamysheva.

Finlandia FS 3f+3t+2t, 3z, 3lo, 3lo^1a, 3f<+2t, 3s, 2a Score: 121.31

Unfortunately, she didn't skate as well in the Tallinn Trophy FS and scored 97.54. Let's hope that is her worst performance of the year and she has her best at US Nationals.

Karen's FS at SA: 3z+3t<, 3f!, 2a+1lo+3s<, 3z, 3lo, 3s+2t, 2a. It was far from the best she can do, but 123.27 was her Seasons Best so far.

Yes, you have to remember that Angela got silver at the Philadelphia International this past summer with a total score of 183.50 and her FS score being 113.89. Everyone's been praising Bradie Tennell on her result there that was only a .45 difference over Angela. The best part being Angela doesn't skate like a Junior.

She also got Gold at the Bavarian open in February which was only her second competition after coming off her injury (she was 7th at Nationals).

I think she has a darn good chance and not be underestimated in this merry-go-round of US ladies figure skating, which saying it nicely, is a dumpster fire.