2018 Europeans Ladies SP | Page 55 | Golden Skate

2018 Europeans Ladies SP

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I only watched Caro and Alina. What I noticed, was that Caro did not have good speed/running edge after the 3T in the combination.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Judges are now having pizza, spaghetti and tiramisu that has been cooking under the table.

Yeah right, Because everything we know about Figure skating and it's history
(And the actual result here) tells us that in a competition in Russia what
we have to worry about is biased judging toward... Italians?

Purv

Match Penalty
You show this love in a very weird way writing hateful posts full of disrespect towards skaters. If you miss old times I have bad news for you: they're not coming back.

What did i say DISRESPECTFUL about particular skater? Please, remind me. I am not the one without respect who doesnt believe in 40+ score just because skater doesnt backload like russians , but she has 3f3t, 3llop, 2a

SimplyLex

On the Ice
I've never understood this argument for Caro. The Italian federation is not a particularly strong federation. You can critique the scoring, but the idea that such a weak federation is using their influence to push her seems implausible to me.

How can anyone criticise the scoring for her TODAY though? She was robbed! How anyone can suggest politicking in favor of her today is beyond me.
She deserved every single one of those 10.00s.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I only watched Caro and Alina. What I noticed, was that Caro did not have good speed/running edge after the 3T in the combination.

Yup, That's why she only got +1's for it despite it being High, Long and with choreography at the end

You don't like Medvedeva ?

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
:yes2: :dance: :handw:

While some of you keep complaining about scoring, i mark this day on my heart, after see three outstanding goddess on ice :sad21:

We all know that scoring sports are ungrateful sometimes, but skating is also art. Let's cheer, cry and dream :hap57:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Yep totally agree. My husband told me that if you try to understand what you might be seeing without trying to add your personal narrative to it, it's a lot easier to appreciate skaters, even ones that you don't care for.

Carolina, if nothing else, shows that you can still show a high level of excellence even at 30. She's not that much younger than me, which is cool!

for past few years I actually did that exercise, to watch skaters with tabula rasa in my head about them, not really caring about my projected feelings about them, nor people's opinion expressed. And it really helps to 'clear' mind over general perceptions.

besides - during some recent discussion about movies between my teammates, my TL said that he tends to watch everything first to have the food for thought and making an opinion. I think it is the wisest, most reasonable approach to be taken for FS also - and having an opinion does not mean that it has to be overly positive or negative one, I think that it should be honest, but stripped from attack, vile, unnecessary remarks, especially those touching skaters personally. I just don't think that making a less of a skater - pretty much in no connection with his/her skating - just because we 'don't like him/her' is healthy. And speaking of skating itself - I just not see myself a point of criticizing skating style, method/hating on it just because I don't like it; there are people here to like/love/adore it, being often emotionally invested in skaters themselves, no point for me to trigger negativity in something seen by people as beauty.

Purv

Match Penalty
First, we are talking this season - let's not bring up the old stuff, second our Sochi champion had just 39 in TES which is fine with the quality of 3T-3T she had.

And Costner got 4o+ with 3f3t whats your problem?
The stuff is not old, last olympic only, winning Olyw ith 3t3t in short is pure funn and she got THE SAME SCORE like someone with 3l3t
And you nagging about skaters who had the same jumps

enzet

On the Ice
Congrats to Alina for finally skating that SP clean!
She was absolutely amazing today, hit every note and that combo was a monster!
Well deserved 1st place.

Carolina was at her best today, just beautiful.
Sometimes I think she gets held up by her PCS a little bit too much, especially when her technical content is low,
but this time she deserved every single point. And the TES was there too.
I would have had her 2nd.

Evgenia had a good comeback performance, but I still don't get her.
There is nothing about her skating that would make go wow, except for her consistency, which hasn't been that impressive this season so far,
but that is only compared to her own standard, overall it's still quite remarkable.

However in PCS, she doesn't come even close to Carolina and I think Alina is already better than her in this regard too, despite her age.

Leppis

On the Ice
Sorry, Carolina is a nice person and all but I can´t with the inflation anymore. It is beyond of disgusting.

Did you even watch her program here? Can you please explain how do you think the score is inflated? I understood those kinds of comments when she did 3t+3t, but she did not do it here. Instead, she had a technically more difficult program, level 4s in every element, and i've never seen her perform so well in the PCS department (and that is saying a lot).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
for past few years I actually did that exercise, to watch skaters with tabula rasa in my head about them, not really caring about my projected feelings about them, nor people's opinion expressed. And it really helps to 'clear' mind over general perceptions.

besides - during some recent discussion about movies between my teammates, my TL said that he tends to watch everything first to have the food for thought and making an opinion. I think it is the wisest, most reasonable approach to be taken for FS also - and having an opinion does not mean that it has to be overly positive or negative one, I think that is should be honest, but stripped from attack, vile, unnecessary remarks, especially those touching skaters personally. I just don't think that making a less of a skater - pretty much in no connection with his/her skating - just because we 'don't like him/her' is healthy. And speaking of skating itself - I just not see myself a point of criticizing skating style, method/hating on it just because I don't like it; there are people here to like/love/adore it, being often emotionally invested in skaters themselves, no point for me to trigger negativity in something seen by people as beauty.

I have to admit it's a little bit easier to do that exercise to do in Ladies, because I'm not highly invested in any one skater at the moment. But the exercise comes in handy with watching the U.S. men, where I have clear preferences (though I generally find I can appreciate something about pretty much all of them), or Ice Dance, where I have teams I'm stanning hard for.

I agree we don't have to be all kum-ba-ya with opinions -- I think it's OK to say why a certain skater's style doesn't work for you or why you didn't connect with that style, but yes you can do that without attacking the skaters personally and in a way that perhaps acknowledges your own personal preferences/biases.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
I watched almost the entire Ladies SP today, and it was full of errors and disappointments. But I just wanted to say there were two moments where I felt overjoyed and three moments that made me cry.

- Ivett Toth's SP is simply marvelous. I was screaming with delight. She is an amazing star. Good for her for rocking out with her bad self to AC/DC. Skating needs more phenomenal artists like her. I didn't care about the mistakes, I was so totally thrilled by her artistic choices and presentation.

- Watching Alina Zagitova today was beyond thrilling. I imagine a baseball fan feels that way when someone hits a home run with the bases loaded. Just wow. The technical difficulty matched with the exquisite emotional presentation. I was screaming!

- Nicole Rajicova's program was really unexpectedly moving. I found myself crying by the end of it. She has a way of presenting this intensely dramatic melancholy in such a poetic and overwhelming way.

- I started crying from the moment Medvedeva started skating. Her extraordinary artistry and performance level are totally beyond reproach (except for the botched ending today, but that was something else). I cried all the way until her darned axel--because it was the feeling of watching an absolute legend. She is an overwhelming presence. I was literally crying tears of gratitude and awe to see something that gorgeous. Now that she seems to be vulnerable, there is something even more emotional about watching her. Hard to describe.

- The event ended on a devastating note for me, with Laurine Lecavelier breaking into sobs. She looked totally alone in the world, completely devastated and disappointed. I've had the feeling since I saw her SP at the 2016 Trophee de France that this is an exceptional person. There is no one in my opinion that can match her emotional investment and nuanced artistry on her best day. Finally today, the PCS marks are beginning to resemble what she deserves. This season has been such a struggle. I think that the pressure of overnight success was too much, the pressure of the spotlight, and the Olympic season. It was like it all just unraveled with her sitting there sobbing in the Kiss and Cry. This was such a devastating moment. Brings home the fact of all of the hard work, the hopes and dreams, that a human can have. How precious and difficult a struggle that is. I was totally torn up watching that; it was really hard to see. More so because she is personally my favorite skater, I guess of all time. I hope that she can take this disappointment and fight like never before in the Free Skate.

Thanks for everybody's interesting comments. Good luck in the future to Shkuleta-Gromova and the Estonian team. Hope she and Naurits on the men's side can make a big splash sometime soon. And I hope Matilda Algotsson and Diana Nikitina are okay. Other amazing athletes who just had a disastrous day.

da96103

Record Breaker
The conflict of interest is that the coach is advising a skater who may need advice on how to beat another skater who the same coach also is advising. The length of time that Orser has been advising both Hanyu and Fernandez indicates that both have waived the conflict. They are mature and experienced skaters who may need technical advice but not advice on how to beat each other.

But skating is an solo sport. You do your best in your performance. Your competitors have no factor in your performance. They are not across the net like tennis.
Are you saying Eteri is withholding advice from either skaters to do their best?

From their programs, the girls seemed to have maximized their potential. Zagi is advised to tag 3Lo and backload her jumps to get maximum scores. Zhenya is advised to backload and do her best jump 3Lo instead of 3Lz which will get her lower scores. Both seemed sensible advice from the same coach.

MiraiFan

Final Flight
With all due respect........Carolina is probably the most refined skater currently. No one should top her PCS and no one should even come close to her PCS. Med getting 38 PCS is really sad for this sport.

^^^^THIS. I hate what this sport has become.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
I believe she always does a 3F-3T and 3Lo in her SP's. Honestly that's a poor attempt at trolling but still I will give you a hint, she does her supposed lutz as the first or second jump in her LP. No need to thank me.

You mean flutz right? And it's not trolling, it's called calling things out by their real name. And I won't stop calling it out until she can do a real lutz.

Purv

Match Penalty
Adelina did a 3Lz-3t in her long program at Sochi.

we are talking about short program jenaj, yuna has 3l3t, adelina only 3 t 3t and they both scored amost the same 74..

and now some people caanot stand the fact that Karolina got near 40 Tes with the same jumps like evgenia for instance