Joshua Farris | Page 64 | Golden Skate

Joshua Farris

Liz1201

Rinkside
OMG you're going to go?! I'm so jealous! Have a fabulous wonderful time and take extra tissues because it will be so emotional to see him compete again...
It's only an hour away how could I not go! I'd be crazy not to go!
I'm going to clear off my phone tomorrow so I have lots of room for pics/videos and remember to bring lots of tissues.

Liz1201

Rinkside
Thanks for the info Tavi. I was a bit worried that might happen. If he doesn't do the SP of the CE it's probably very unlikely he would do the FS right?
Also I'm confused on the first day of the Aerial challenge. If the top 3 from Friday get wild card spots for the team event then how likely is it that skaters already chosen for the team event would compete in the individual event?

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Thanks for the info Tavi. I was a bit worried that might happen. If he doesn't do the SP of the CE it's probably very unlikely he would do the FS right?
Also I'm confused on the first day of the Aerial challenge. If the top 3 from Friday get wild card spots for the team event then how likely is it that skaters already chosen for the team event would compete in the individual event?

Sadly, I know very little about the workings of either comp. I'd guess it's unlikely he'll do the FS, but I don't know for sure. Maybe another forum member does - or if you're on Twitter, you could try asking Sylvia, who published the info. I bet Josh has no idea of how disappointed his many fans will be, but I guess he has to do what's best for him.

As to the Aerial Challenge, I'm totally confused as to how it works, but since they've publicly announced the Team USA team members, I doubt they'll be bumped by the wild card entries. Since I'm betting this one won't be streamed, we'll look forward to your report!

Impromptu

On the Ice
Usually when a competition has a combined event, they also have separate events as well. For example, a skater could potentially be entered in the SP only, FS only, and the combined event, which would mean they skate four times. Or they could do the combined event only (skating the sp, then the fs later - so they'd skate twice), or if they just want to compete the SP, or the LP they could enter one of those two events. Or even if they want extra practice on the SP or the LP, they could enter the SP event, and the combine event (or FS event, and the combined event).

I've seen competitions where skater even competes more than that... e.g. in novice ladies, if there are enough entrants, there would be a preliminary round (so a skater could potentially skate the SP initial round, SP final round; FS initial, FS final, and the SP +FS CE event, with a preliminary round in that as well). Happens more often in intermediate and novice ladies, sometimes junior ladies. By they time they get to senior, enough girls have quit so that prelim rounds are not as likely.

It doesn't look like Broadmoor is having a senior mens FS only event (which probably means nobody entered it).

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Also I'm confused on the first day of the Aerial challenge. If the top 3 from Friday get wild card spots for the team event then how likely is it that skaters already chosen for the team event would compete in the individual event?

I too have been wondering whether any/some/many of the single skaters already announced for the team AC on Saturday will compete in the individual AC on Friday.

FWIW, the financial inventive to compete in the individual AC has been markedly reduced this year.
In previous years, the total prize money for the individual AC was $30,000 -- whereas this year, it will be only $5000.
(The new team AC will have $30,000 in prize money.)

I regret also that there is zero chance that the individual AC will be streamed.
Would not be part of the team AC streaming via Facebook Live (even if the crowdfunding were to be successful). And it is excluded from ProEventPhoto's streaming (even those for those who have purchased Broadmoor access).

*deflates sadly* Oh, I was so looking forward to Pines of Rome...oh well, I'm sure we'll see it eventually. ...

:ghug:

... I'm still looking forward to the aerial challenge!

Go, Josh :yay:.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Hate to say, but looks as if Josh no longer is competing in the team AC??

Camden Pulkinen had an Instagram story on Wednesday that showed rosters for the teams.

No Josh :(.
And no Vincent Zhou :(, who originally was announced as a member of Team Bradley.
The new names in their places are Jimmy Ma and Camden, respectively.

Per campulk:

Team Jeremy = Abbott's Awesomers:
Mirai Nagasu
Ashley Lin
Jimmy Ma
Emmanuel Savary
Alexa and Chris Knierim
Wild Card Skater​

Team Ryan = Bradley's Brawlers:
Angela Wang
Paige Rydberg
Camden Pulkinen
Max Aaron
Liu/Johnson
Wild Card Skater​

Team Timothy = Dolensky's Dynamos:
Pooja Kalyan
Courtney Hicks
Aleksei Krasnozhon
Jason Brown
Cain/LeDuc
Wild Card Skater​

ETA:

Should have added above that I did/do not mean to sound unkind or disrespectful to Jimmy (who placed third at AC last year) or Camden (fifth). I hope that they do well.
And I think that their personalities will be assets to the competition.

It's just that I was surprised to see the absence of Josh and Vincent from the updated rosters.​

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Do not go to panic mode. Do not go to panic mode. Do not go to panic mode. Do not go to panic mode. Do not go to panic mode. Do not go to panic mode. Do not go to panic mode.

It's all right, I'm sure he's just not quite there yet. That will be it. It's a long slog back, after all.

LRK

Record Breaker
Maybe it's something minor and they are just being cautious. Or something humdrum and mundane, like the flu.

musicfan80

Medalist
Isn't the USFS International Selection Pool (ISP) Camp coming up soon? I thought that they always had that in late June-early July that is before and separate from Champs Camp. I'm thinking that is probably more important to get ready for than Broadmoor Open/Aerial Challenge - USFS is probably using the camps + summer competitions to determine how Senior B assignments are going to be made.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Isn't the USFS International Selection Pool (ISP) Camp coming up soon? I thought that they always had that in late June-early July that is before and separate from Champs Camp. I'm thinking that is probably more important to get ready for than Broadmoor Open/Aerial Challenge - USFS is probably using the camps + summer competitions to determine how Senior B assignments are going to be made.

IIRC, the USFS ISP camp has been held immediately following the Broadmoor Open (I assume as a matter of convenience/efficiency/budget for those who already have traveled significant distances to C Springs for the purpose of competing at Broadmoor).

I know that I have seen the exact dates of this year's camp on the USFS site ... but I can't go back to double-check b/c the USFS site has not been working for me since yesterday.
Is not working for me via Microsoft Edge or Chrome.
Curious whether anyone else is having the same trouble?
Nothing shows up for me except the header graphics with the photos of the reigning US champions on a red background with a snowflake pattern. None of the text on the USFS pages is showing up.

Liz1201

Rinkside
From the USFSA site (loaded fine on my iPhone):
http://www.usfsa.org/story?id=84157&menu=camps

The High Performance summer camps listed below are strongly recommended for all International Selection Pool (ISP) and Athlete High Performance Development Pool (AHPDP) athletes. Athletes attending a High Performance summer camp have the opportunity to perform their short program and free skate program (ice dancing teams - short and free dances) in a competition if available. Athletes also participate in a technical feedback session, pre-participation physical exam (ISP only) and 1:1 sport performance sessions. It is strongly recommended that coaches of an ISP athlete assigned to or being considered for a Junior Grand Prix Series or Challenger Series event attend one camp with their athlete(s).

LOCATIONS AND SCHEDULE
*All dates are tentative and subject to change

Champs Camp
Date: August 19-23, 2017
Location: Colorado Springs Olympic Training Center/World Arena
*Attended by athletes assigned to a 2017 Grand Prix Series Event. Champs Camp is performance-based. Athletes perform their short program and free skate programs (ice dancing teams: short and free dances) in a simulated competition environment. The camp also includes technical feedback sessions, pre-participation physical exams, mental training sessions and nutrition seminars. Primary coaches of an athlete assigned to a Grand Prix Series event are required to attend.
Camps for High Performance Singles Athletes

U.S. Figure Skating High Performance Singles Camp
Date: June 24-27, 2017
* Held in conjunction with the Broadmoor Open. Offered to all AHPDP singles athletes and ISP singles athletes who are not guaranteed a Grand Prix assignment. Athletes will receive on ice technical feedback, one on one sport performance sessions and on ice performance sessions.

Skate Detroit
Date: July 18-23, 2017
*Offered to all ISP and AHPDP singles athletes. Technical feedback and sport performance follow up opportunities are available.

Glacier Falls Summer Classic
Date: July 26-30, 2017
*Offered to all ISP and AHPDP singles athletes. Technical feedback and sport performance follow up opportunities are available.

Philadelphia Summer Championships
Date: July 31-August 6, 2017
Camps for High Performance Pair Teams

U.S. Figure Skating National Pairs Camp
Date: June 10-17, 2017 (junior & senior)
*Teams will receive one on one sport performance sessions, on ice performance sessions and lift consultations.

U.S. Figure Skating High Performance Pairs Camp
Date: July 23-24, 2017
*Offered to all ISP and AHPDP pairs teams. Held in conjunction with Skate Detroit. Teams will receive on ice technical feedback, one on one sport performance sessions, on ice performance sessions and lift consultations.

Liz1201

Rinkside
Do not go to panic mode. Do not go to panic mode. Do not go to panic mode. Do not go to panic mode. Do not go to panic mode. Do not go to panic mode. Do not go to panic mode.

It's all right, I'm sure he's just not quite there yet. That will be it. It's a long slog back, after all.

I keep telling myself the same thing.

I wonder if the Broadmoor Open was the plan before the GP announcements were made but maybe now that he has a GP selection the plan is different and it's more important to be ready for Champs Camp.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
From the USFSA site (loaded fine on my iPhone):
http://www.usfsa.org/story?id=84157&menu=camps ...

Thanks, that is the page that I had in mind :agree:.

(And now it really is bugging me that the USFS pages are not working for me :(. I am not having trouble with any other website.)

... I wonder if the Broadmoor Open was the plan before the GP announcements were made but maybe now that he has a GP selection the plan is different and it's more important to be ready for Champs Camp.

On another note:

IIRC, in 2015, Mirai took part in both ISP Camp and Champs Camp.

Only my wild speculation, but I wonder whether it is possible that Josh will take part in both???

ice coverage

Record Breaker
So I think the answer to my question above probably is No.

Starr Andrews posted a "class photo" from ISP Camp, and FWIW, I do not see Josh.

Meanwhile, is that Gracie Gold is in the photo -- next to Dolensky??
Per Jeremy's Instagram story on Saturday night (at The Broadmoor Hotel, I think??), Gracie was hanging out with Mirai and him (among others). Gracie was clearly identifiable in the Instagram video. It would make sense that ISP Camp was the reason for Gracie to be in Colorado Springs.
If so, she would be another example of someone attending both ISP Camp and Champs Camp in the same year.

ETA (off topic):
Gracie really is in the ISP Camp class photo(s).
Alysa Liu just posted the same one (or a very similar one), and tagged Gracie (along with many others :cool:).

ETA (on topic):
Josh's name does not appear at all on the 2017 Broadmoor Open official results.
Not listed as a WD.
Same for Vincent Zhou.
So ... is it possible that they never had entered at all? (I'm talking about Broadmoor Open, not AC.)​

seabm7

Final Flight

ice coverage

Record Breaker
COMPETITION ALERT, JOSHUA FANS! (Oh, how good it feels to write that again!)

BROADMOOR OPEN IS A GO! REPEAT, BROADMOOR OPEN IS A GO!

Sylvia (of course) posted the entry list today and Joshua's name is on the combined event - so we will see Pines of Rome for the first time ever!

Per the schedule on the website, the Combined Event Sr Men's short is on Thursday, 22 June, at 12:30pm-1:30pm (local time). Free skate is Friday 23 June at 1:20-2:20pm (local time).

This schedule is looking brutal for karne (4:30am hello!) but...it will be so worth it. To see him compete again. :love:

Stream info (also included in Sylvia's post) - looks like $15 for a day pass and $45 for all event, which is a bit steep, but again...worth it. (If I choose to shell out, and I probably will, I may...give everyone some love. ;) )

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like Josh is no longer listed for the CE at Broadmoor, at least the SP portion:

https://unseenskaters.wordpress.com...pen-june-20-24-aerial-fsteam-challenge-jumps/

Initially they entered for Aerial Challenge (the jump competition), not the Broadmoor Open (SP and/or FS).

The sequence of events in this thread was an initial report that per Sylvia, Josh was entered in the Broadmoor Open combined event (getting our hopes up that he would compete his programs).

And then a subsequent report that per Sylvia, he was "no longer listed" for the Broadmoor combined event.

Same thing had happened with Vincent in the Broadmoor Open thread (repeat: the Broadmoor thread, not the Aerial Challenge thread):

This is starting today in Colorado Springs.

Sylvia Unseen has the details on her website regarding schedule and entries.

Notable Sr. Men include Tim Dolensky, Joshua Farris, Alex Krasnozhon, Jordan Moeller and Vincent Zhou.

Sr. Ladies include Angela Wang, Vivian Le, Brooklee Han, Emily Chan and Bradie Tennell. ...

Just a heads up that Josh, Vincent, and Tomoki are apparently no longer listed for the combined event - at least for the short program:

https://unseenskaters.wordpress.com...pen-june-20-24-aerial-fsteam-challenge-jumps/

I am sure that Sylvia had no desire to be led astray or to lead any of us astray.
And it is water under the bridge, but in my post above about the results sheet, I was just puzzling over how the wires got crossed in the first place.​

(ETA:
The aforementioned Emily Chan, for example, appears on the official results PDF as WD from both the SP Only and the Combined Event.
The "no longer listed" thing re Josh and Vincent makes me scratch my head. YMMV.)​

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It may have had to do with the timing of the withdrawals, too. In a bid to keep myself in something resembling a zen mode, I have decided it must have just been standard summer comp withdrawal. I mean, Vincent did it too, and there's nothing wrong with him.

Perhaps Josh decided he'd rather do something like Vail for his first comp back, where there will be no video and less pressure? Or maybe he will be at Glacier Falls. I hope he's at Glacier Falls, if only for the video aspect.