2015 NHK Pairs Short Program | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2015 NHK Pairs Short Program

burntBREAD

Medalist
I can't get how S/K got higher PCS than Y/J. BTW, has anyone else noticed that S was facing the ceiling while K's hands still on her waist during the twist? Is that normal? It's half a turn already before releasing.

All twists are entered with the lady looking upwards, I thought... when they're lifted up while doing the split position, they're always facing up.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I can't get how S/K got higher PCS than Y/J. BTW, has anyone else noticed that S was facing the ceiling while K's hands still on her waist during the twist? Is that normal? It's half a turn already before releasing.

Most twists have the guy "releasing" the woman as she's already made half a turn, it's part of the technique. For them it might be more apparent because they actually do a much harder lateral twist (with her body essentially horizontal), so it makes sense for him to hold onto her (maybe moreso than other pairs' twists) in order for her to achieve a lateral air position.

caitie

Medalist
If everyone appears to be finishing behind the music but nobody's getting a deduction, the issue is most likely a sync problem with the stream. The sound is probably lagging, not all the skaters.

I think they were actually finishing behind the music, though. Meghan was talking about how behind the music they were at one point and they had to rush into their final lift. J/C seemed to have a spin problem, which was their final element, etc.

MIM

Medalist
Unfortunately Y/J are seen as a "2nd Tier Team" by the CSF which is a shame because they have loads of potential. I'm also hoping they get good programs/packaging next season since they repeated both programs this season from last season.

They are lucky to have Yu/Jin in a Second Tier Team... Any countries would wish to have them to be their top team. They are all talented, and deserve fair support from CSF, just like Russian federation does for their ladies.

Kutien

Final Flight
1 Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD CAN 71.04 1 video
2 Alexa SCIMECA / Chris KNIERIM USA 68.43 2 video
3 Xiaoyu YU / Yang JIN CHN 67.00 3 video
4 Vera BAZAROVA / Andrei DEPUTAT RUS 64.06 4 video
5 Lubov ILIUSHECHKINA / Dylan MOSCOVITCH CAN 63.80 5 video
6 Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES FRA 61.91 6 video
7 Jessica CALALANG / Zack SIDHU USA 55.19 7 video
8 Amani FANCY / Christopher BOYADJI GBR 42.52 8 video

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
A rather shaky skate by D/R, but good on them for hanging on.

I also noticed that Meaghan DEFINITELY takes off from an inside edge on their 3Z throw. It's funny how people are such sticklers in singles about flutzing/lipping, but in pairs the throw jumps are worth the same and nobody really cares if the entry edge is held or not. :p

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Shoutouts to the programs that end on a bang: D/R, of course, with their complicated yet pleasing lift exit, although it was a bit rushed this time, but no major mishap! But a special shoutout to Jessica Calalang and Zack Sidhu for ending their program on the landing of a throw 3lutz! That shows a lot of confidence in the move. It's the part of the performance when you're breathing a bit hard, and your body is just more likely to let things slip if the landing is a little off. But nope, they nailed it!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
J/C had their spin invalidated after all :sad21:

I know it's the system but man, that's such bs. She left the ice for barely even half a rotation and wasn't even an inch above the ice during that, and that somehow invalidates the entire spin, including everything leading up to that part of the spin. At least a basic level should have been achieved on it. :mad: I mean, in ice dance the lady is allowed to be lifted during the spin like Gilles/Poirier (I think it's even a level feature). That's such nonsense... J/C got robbed of a final flight, but hopefully they don't get robbed of their GPF spot.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Thanks. It was on slow motion and quite obvious. I'll pay more attention to see how other pairs do it:)
Most twists have the guy "releasing" the woman as she's already made half a turn, it's part of the technique. For them it might be more apparent because they actually do a much harder lateral twist (with her body essentially horizontal), so it makes sense for him to hold onto her (maybe moreso than other pairs' twists) in order for her to achieve a lateral air position.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
B

It seems judge No.1 was on a mission to press Y/J down the ranking:( come on, how come this person gave a -1 for thr death spiral when most of the others gave +1, and all those 6s?

That was pretty uncalled for... I actually thought Y/J had one of the NICEST death spiral positions (for the ladies), and she had a lovely arch and an elegant free arm.

That 0 for the 3T was also harsh... they had one of the nicest SBS jumps of the competition (only prob is his is visibly bigger than hers, but they can hardly help that).

Last edited:

ginsengtea

Rinkside
That was pretty uncalled for... I actually thought Y/J had one of the NICEST death spiral positions (for the ladies), and she had a lovely arch and an elegant free arm.

Ugh, GOEs were stingy for them, should've beaten S/K but they're more than capable of doing that in the free tomorrow.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Coverage just starting on Eurosport 2 with Lubov and Dylan

CaroLiza_fan

Ilvskating

Final Flight
All twists are entered with the lady looking upwards, I thought... when they're lifted up while doing the split position, they're always facing up.

Yes, you are right. I re-watched it and I'm confused again, what the female commentator was saying during the replay? My "translation" is one, two, and half turn:laugh: I really need to watch some other skaters for their twist.

Art&Sport

Medalist
I had expected James/Cipres to place at least 4th in this field. It looks like they were deducted on some elements (perhaps low levels or GOEs).

Is Eurosport coverage delayed? Not many videos are up on Youtube yet.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Had to laugh at the Eurosport boys.

Amani and Christopher were sitting waiting for their scores with their coach, Mark Naylor. But, he had Amani's identity badge hanging around his neck.

Now, I should add, Mark is as bald as a coot.

And then Nicky (I think) says "Mark's hair looks a lot longer in his badge..."

:laugh:

You gotta love them! :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited: