2015 Skate Canada Mens Short Program | Page 45 | Golden Skate

2015 Skate Canada Mens Short Program

Esopian

Final Flight
No but seriously, Yuzu needs to kick some serious butt tomorrow because I need him to go to GPF's.

Surprisingly, I'm not too worried that he'll somehow make it to the GPF this year. He managed to last season, so this season it will eventually work out too. ;) (being positive here)

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
So, I found the tarot generator. FS readings in start order:

Lee: Four of Pentacles (Power): Cleaving to earthly power in the desperate fear that it will be lost. Making yourself an obstacle to progress due to lack of originality and a desperate fear of change. Believing that security and identity are based primarily on the possession of material things. Coveting things and people. Living in a cloud of suspicion and prejudice.

Dolensky: Eight of Wands (Swiftness), when reversed: Too much force applied too suddenly. A flash in the pan. A foolhardy and untimely plunge into the unknown. Impatience leading to poor decisions in love, business, travel, or spiritual growth.

Messing: Six of Pentacles (Success), when reversed: Insolence and conceit with material things. Overconfidence, bad investments, and imprudent handing of acquired wealth. Contempt for those less fortunate. Deception and petty disputes driven by greed and envy.

Kawahara: Death, when reversed: Stagnation or petrifaction. The refusal to let go of the past. Resistance to change because of fear.

Kim: The Lovers, when reversed: Inner strife, frustration, suspicion, and disagreements in a relationship. Irresponsibility and indecision. Avoiding true intimacy in favor of lust. Unfaithfulness.

Petrov: King of Pentacles, when reversed: The dark essence of earth behaving as air, such as a diamond: An unyielding businessman, with a gift for identifying weakness and exploiting it for personal gain. One well informed about material affairs, but ignorant of larger, more pressing issues. A blind devotee of business as usual, unconcerned with the unintended results, and contemptuous of new ideas. A person full of greed and avarice, easily corrupted by luxury or the temptations of the flesh.

Hanyu: Eight of Pentacles (Prudence): Dedicating yourself fully to a task. Learning a new craft or skill. Applying painstaking attention to detail. Industriousness and the efficient completion of tasks. Sticking with a project long enough to see it through.

Brezina: Two of Swords (Peace): Contradictory characteristics brought together as a means of resolving a conflict. Refusing to be ruled by negative emotions. Strife brought to a close through clarity of mind and restraint of force. Turning a blind eye to the minor infractions of others.

Nguyen: Death: A major change or transformation, possibly traumatic and unexpected. Freedom from the shackles of the past. A new beginning. Death coupled with rebirth, usually related to consciousness and lifestyle.

Rippon: Queen of Wands, when reversed: The dark essence of fire behaving as water, such as steam: The natural embodiment of passion and sensuality, who will do anything to the be the center of attention. A seducer who calculatingly dons the guise of what others desire. A cocky and domineering person, who pushes anyone or anything aside to get what she wants. One who is vengeful and quick to take offense without good cause. May indicate infidelity and contempt for a relationship.

Chan: Six of Swords (Science): Trusting in intelligence and intuition and setting off into the unknown. Leaving an untenable situation and charting a new course. Passage from difficulty and progress towards a solution. The road to recovery. Travel and exploration.

Murakami: The Devil, when reversed: Resistance of temptation. Freedom from bondage. The pursuit of higher goals despite the influence of luxury and pleasure. Release from obsession with money and power. Liberation from fear, weakness and indecision through communion with higher powers or the inner voice.

:slink:

Well, if these end up as accurate as the SP's...

Lipea

Final Flight
That's one of the reasons I don't like to watch Men's figure skating. It is too PCS dependent, and there is too much of the difference in PCS of the skaters with big reputations vs. others. In ladies last season it was so much fun, because there were no "big reputation" names. This season Mao and Adelina come back, they just by status will surely score more than others on PCS, which makes it unfair. It is almost like the skaters with big reputations block the way for others who very often have better performances.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Man, if I was gifted a dollar for every time a japanese male skater uttered the term "kuyashii" I'd be rollin' it! Yuzu himself would make me a mint.

This one wasn't on my Year 12 list of adjectives :laugh: What does it mean?

Also, did anyone else suddenly notice that we have a thumbs-up button? :eek:

Rissa

Record Breaker
So Tarot says Hanyu's gonna do well, but I really can't interpret the others. :laugh: But Patrick's sound not too bad and Nam's actually good!

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker

Yes, I did. Idk if you were on yesterday while the forum was being tinkered with, but there were a few variations of the 'like' button. You can see gsk8's post about that here.

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
So Tarot says Hanyu's gonna do well, but I really can't interpret the others. :laugh: But Patrick's sound not too bad and Nam's actually good!

My guesses on the other ones are Dolensky, Rippon, Messing, Kawahara, and maybe the Koreans aren't going to do that well, Brezina and Murakami might be clean, and I have no clue what Petrov's means. :slink:

Lysambre

Final Flight
Ok, forgive me for the questions, but I'm just trying to understand (because I don't know all the ISU rules, so please help a newbie).

Concerning Yuzuru's program. I got why they didn't give any points for the 2t. But then I don't get why he also got 0pt for the combo. Someone told me it was zayaking, but I thought zayaking meant you couldn't repeat a jump, except in a combo?

And if there a new rule about that, they downgraded Adam's 4lz (I assume downgraded means they gave him the points for a 3lz?) , so wouldn't that mean he's also repeating the same jump in his 3lz+3t combo?

Seriously, I'm not judging anyone, nor do I want to take points away from anybody, but I'd love for someone to explain. I feel stupid to be so unaware of the system, but I'd rather sound stupid and understand than stay in the dark forever.

Thanks for any help at understanding.

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker

Do you mean "kuyashii"? =frustrated/regretful.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Enjoyed Nam NGUYEN's program most. He is a breath of fresh air. Didn't like him before but I am sold on this short. I also like his figure as a male skater.

rain

Record Breaker
Enjoyed Nam NGUYEN's program most. He is a breath of fresh air. Didn't like him before but I am sold on this short. I also like his figure as a male skater.

This was a big step up for him in terms of sophistication — and a good step. Are they working on his speed? It is the most noticeable thing that keeps him below the likes of Chan and Hanyu.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Concerning Yuzuru's program. I got why they didn't give any points for the 2t. But then I don't get why he also got 0pt for the combo. Someone told me it was zayaking, but I thought zayaking meant you couldn't repeat a jump, except in a combo?

No. That only applies to the free skate. You cannot repeat the same jump in the SP, regardless of in combination or not. Yuzuru popped the 4T into a 2T, so he wasn't allowed to do another 2T, which he then did.

And if there a new rule about that, they downgraded Adam's 4lz (I assume downgraded means they gave him the points for a 3lz?) , so wouldn't that mean he's also repeating the same jump in his 3lz+3t combo?

A downgraded jump does NOT get called the next level down. For the purposes of scoring, 4Lz<< is NOT THE SAME as a 3Lz. Therefore, it was acceptable for him to do a 3Lz-3T.

Do you mean "kuyashii"? =frustrated/regretful.

Yes, that one. Thankyou!

andromache

Record Breaker
I just spent 15 minutes trying to explain to my non-skating-fan boyfriend why "that Winnie the Pooh guy" is so far back in the standings :drama:

Lysambre

Final Flight
Thank you Karne, I admit I was getting really lost, and your explanations were very clear :).