2015 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic SLC General | Page 57 | Golden Skate

2015 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic SLC General

Layback11

Record Breaker
Indie music?! The concert I just came home from was bonafide indie -- Beach House! ;)

How does Karen Chen get beat by Angela Wang and not make the podium?

Too bad about Kanako...

Two pops, a fall, and two URs (one of them on the jump she also fell on) is how.

I gotta say, Angela is really stepping it up this season. :yes:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
IN tweeted that the Ladies SP is available, not that is was necessarily 'full' -- though I would assume that it would be.
I haven't watched all 2 hours of it, but I'm curious where the remaining time went as the event lasted about 2 hours and 45 minutes. Maybe just one ice resurface and 4 warm-ups were edited out?

Yes, I believe the entire short is there. I watched it today. And, yes, they edited out the warm-ups & ice resurfacing. (I thought Brooklee skated well in the short. Nice to see after Worlds).

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
H/D are not only going to have a hard time holding off H/B but next season M/C and most likely the Parsons will be going Senior and it will get even tougher to stay in the top 4 for long.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
(With regards to Daniel)

Yes! I have been saying the same thing.

Hmm, although I like Brian a lot, I don't see much of him in Daniel. I think Daniel is more of a natural performer with strong jumping ability. Maybe a cross between Javier and Tomas Verner - hopefully with a career closer to Javi's, though...

tulosai

Record Breaker
Like everyone else is saying, after this competition I view Hubbell and Donohue as being in a really tough position. They really HAVE to make a push this year if they want to be viewed as a top US team, and while I wouldn't say it is definitely doom yet, this was not a good way to start the push. Based on last year, I expect Hawayek and Baker to slip comfortably into the number 2 spot this year for US teams, leading the Shibs and H/D to battle it out yet again for third, and H/D don't have a good track record in that battle. As others have already said, next year the battle for third is just going to get bigger as promising junior teams come up to seniors. Thomas and Eton also don't suck for a brand new team, especially considering the fact that she has NO prior senior experience. By the Oly year they could be challenging for third too. At the moment C/B is probably the only truly safe team, and H/D are not making a convincing case for themselves.

Barb

Record Breaker
Like everyone else is saying, after this competition I view Hubbell and Donohue as being in a really tough position. They really HAVE to make a push this year if they want to be viewed as a top US team, and while I wouldn't say it is definitely doom yet, this was not a good way to start the push. Based on last year, I expect Hawayek and Baker to slip comfortably into the number 2 spot this year for US teams, leading the Shibs and H/D to battle it out yet again for third, and H/D don't have a good track record in that battle. As others have already said, next year the battle for third is just going to get bigger as promising junior teams come up to seniors. Thomas and Eton also don't suck for a brand new team, especially considering the fact that she has NO prior senior experience. By the Oly year they could be challenging for third too. At the moment C/B is probably the only truly safe team, and H/D are not making a convincing case for themselves.

Based in last year? Shibs were better than H/B.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Based in last year? Shibs were better than H/B.

Yes but the Shibs have been more or less stagnant for years too, just a bit ahead of H/D, with the one obvious exception of a more-or-less fluke world medal from which they've regressed. H/B on the other hand are on a clear upward trajectory.

This is just my prediction/how I see it. I could be wrong and don't really care if I'm wrong- I like all 3 teams fine, and in fact have been a big fan of H/D and their programs for years, but at the end of this season I'm predicting the rankings are going to be:

1. C/B -rather large gap-
2. H/B -smaller but still clear gap-
3. Shibs -tiny gap-
4. H/D

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not sure about H/B overtaking the Shibs so quickly as to be the US number two team at the end of this season. I could see it happening by 2018 though if they continue to improve and the Shibs keep stagnating.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A2N59VulsA&feature=youtu.be
Satoko speaks in English...considering her extreme shyness, I think she's doing a great job! You go, Satton!

:agree: It was so cool :cool: to see/hear Satoko speaking English that I had made note of this vid in this thread last night ;).
Happy for it to get another mention, esp. b/c she spoke Japanese in her post-SP vid.

Congratulations to Satoko, Elizabet, and Angela :yay:. And to Madi/Zach and the other dance medalists :).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The Shibs did fine last season. Their SD was solid, they beat nearly every team at some point and practically tied Chock and Bates at nationals with it. They broke the 100 point barrier several times, something they hadn't done previously. Plus a top 5 finish is nothing to sneeze at.

I think last season really renewed the Shibs. Consider that at the end of the Olympic season they wouldn't commit to another Olympics. By the post-Nationals press conference they were saying they would keep going through 2018. They seem really hungry in a way I hadn't seen them in the past. They picked out programs early, been actively working with different folks and even exploring new looks for themselves.

I think Hawayek and Baker are very talented, but the thing I notice with them is they are prone to make silly errors. They can't do that if they are want to pass any team.

All that said it's going to be interesting to see what happens!

Eta: FWIW, when the Shibs were truly struggling a few years back, many thought they would be surpassed by several teams by now, including some that are no longer together. So the unpredictability of ice dance. Hence my reluctance to many declative statements.

Also to make thing relevant: it's early in the season and Hubbell/Donqhue still have time to make adjustments and improve. They seem hungry to keep their place as well.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
:agree: It was so cool :cool: to see/hear Satoko speaking English that I had made note of this vid in this thread last night .
Happy for it to get another mention, esp. b/c she spoke Japanese in her post-SP vid.

Congratulations to Satoko, Elizabet, and Angela :yay:. And to Madi/Zach and the other dance medalists :).

Ooops, totally missed it. But Satoko bears extra mention for being so cute. :)

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Wow Satoko's english is really impressive, Elizabet's english is also super cute too. Cuteness overload:eek::
What does "Satton" mean?

Sackie

Medalist
Good thing for Mallet that they have already chose her for Skate Canada. With her poor skates here and with Selena doing so well in the free (beating the 3 US ladies on home ice) one could make a case for Selena getting the nod for SC.
Just not sure what goes on with Mallet. She can skate so great at Nationals but just does not seem able to put it together at an international event.
One thing for sure - with Selena stepping up her game this year it really is going to push the others to step up too. Nationals could be quite exciting for the ladies this year.

Barb

Record Breaker
Yes but the Shibs have been more or less stagnant for years too, just a bit ahead of H/D, with the one obvious exception of a more-or-less fluke world medal from which they've regressed. H/B on the other hand are on a clear upward trajectory.

This is just my prediction/how I see it. I could be wrong and don't really care if I'm wrong- I like all 3 teams fine, and in fact have been a big fan of H/D and their programs for years, but at the end of this season I'm predicting the rankings are going to be:

1. C/B -rather large gap-
2. H/B -smaller but still clear gap-
3. Shibs -tiny gap-
4. H/D

well, it is definitely easier go from 9 to 5 than 5 to 1st. I think at their best H/B will be fighting for the second spot with Shibs. Not Shibs and H/D for the 3rd.

Layback11

Record Breaker
well, it is definitely easier go from 9 to 5 than 5 to 1st. I think at their best H/B will be fighting for the second spot with Shibs. Not Shibs and H/D for the 3rd.

:yes: that's how I see it. IMO, H/B are better artistically but not nearly as solid technically (as a previous poster mentioned, prone to silly errors) as the Shibs are. I really don't see anyone but C/B beating them just yet, unless H/B have gone through some P/C-type "overnight change." (Which I highly doubt.)