2016-17 GPF Mens FS | Page 48 | Golden Skate

2016-17 GPF Mens FS

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Sad about the performance of Fernandez, but I did not expect him to be on the podium after the unfortunate sp. Hopefully he has learned something from his experience here...., too many distractions do not help in winning a medal. I wonder if he will now stay in Europe until the Europeans? Too many over the Atlantic flights before a competition create a disaster, I would say.

Now I have to watch the other competitors...

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
He is not the only one, imo. I shall say no more otherwise I will be bombarded and labelled. :p

Lol, what is this I-shall-name-no-names-but-make-it-blatantly-obvious-anyway-and-already-whine-about-being-attacked-beforehand stuff? Is that useful for something?

I'll do it for you. Hanyu's LP program is much more empty this year with the increased jump content. I think it's the setup time required to build the speed for all the quad jumps.

More empty than what? His last years LP? Yes, he talked about how he'll focus on the jumps first and will add in more and more choreo as he becomes more comfortable with them. If you compare this to his previous outings, you can already see it. That is nothing else but a completely normal learning curve, you can see it with most skaters who add in new content.
And also, his LP still has a lot of choreographic content and transitions. Certainly more than the 'young generation' that is apparently about to kick the veterans out now.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Here the other competitors:

Chen – that was amazing!!!

Chan – beautiful choreography but unfortunately combined with really boring music. He needs a jump coach!!!

Rippon – he was kind of out of place here, such a pity that Jin did not qualify.

Uno – I´m so happy that he got a medal

Hanyu – He is champion material and did enough to win the title again.

Last edited:

Shorinji

Spectator
The big news coming out of this program is that Yuzu can no longer skate flawed programs and expect to win. He has to be on his game.

His program was by no means a disaster, and yet he finished THIRD in the LP. The next generation isn't just "coming up." They're here.

Now, if Yuzu does skate perfectly, no one can beat him. But his margin isn't nearly so large as it once was.

Well, it took him a year to master his 4S after Sochi, so he got to prove himself to be worthy of the next OGM....Wish him all the best...
After watching , Patrick is really impressive this season too

Shorinji

Spectator
^^Eh, Yuzuru skated a flawed program and he did win. But his flawed program has 3 clean quads. If the mistake wasn't on the combo and that 4S wasn't affected by REP he would have scored way higher too. He would win again, over Chen, if this repeated - this season. But winning flawed over Javier and Patrick always depended on how they did too, in other words, they had to bomb as well in that case. Literally nothing has changed except that it confirmed what Yuzuru has been saying. Youngsters are coming up, they're brilliant, they will be serious contenders for the Olympics and they, the top tier, have to push and push too. Which is why he has the four quad program now for the FS and why he's trying to perfect it even if he could settle for a clean three quad that would give him an easy win. This is why he's practicing that 4Lz and wants it next season if possible. He is thinking long-term to that Olympic season.

Really, just re-read what Yuzuru has been saying and this has proven that he's been right all along. So nothing new, nothing unexpected happened yesterday and that his tactic was right. Or at least nothing unexpected to Yuzuru and some of us.

Agree....its still early for any conclusion...yet

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Hanyu would have been over 200 even with popped lutz and mistake on 2nd 3A combo. It's just that a mistake like REP of 4S drops TES like a stone

It's actually very weak point in his layout. It's simply not worth waiting with that combo for 2nd 4S

On his mistakes yesterday he lost like 20+ TES points

Last edited:

shyne

Final Flight
Hanyu would have been over 200 even with popped lutz and mistake on 2nd 3A combo. It's just that a mistake like REP of 4S drops TES like a stone

It's actually very weak point in his layout. It's simply not worth waiting with that combo for 2nd 4S

On his mistakes yesterday he lost like 20+ TES points

He struggled with the second half 4S3T in OP as well. The timing is just not right. The pause right before it's not serving as a resting spot, but rather makes one lose all the momentum, and you have to start again with 0-speed~~just not ideal.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Lol, what is this I-shall-name-no-names-but-make-it-blatantly-obvious-anyway-and-already-whine-about-being-attacked-beforehand stuff? Is that useful for something?

That is because there are many fans who cannot take criticism and a different opinion and they will start a massive bombing.

I agree and understand your point. Certainly he is evolving and has been adding more choreographic materials. But sometimes he did really leave the music behind and prepare for the hard jumping passes (quads and 3A combos). He has many transitions, which is true, but they don't have much to do with the music. But I am sure he knows what he has to do. In the press conference he said he has homework from the past experience. So i am looking forward too to the complete product of his program. :)

da96103

Record Breaker
My gut feeling is that he wanted to play it super safe and not risk a fall. if he feels comfortable doing it, he throws it in. I saw him at Skate America, and I'm pretty sure he did the 3A+3T there. Speaking of loco, I have to look again, because I think he might have been singing along with the "loco" part today! :laugh2: I know sometimes he sings along with "piantao". He's so funny.

Yes I saw his mouth moved with loco and piantao both means crazy. Now Shoma has gotten me interested in Argentinian creativity. Those imagery in the lyrics are really different from other cultures. And I know of Piazzolla. He composed the Tango-Etudes for Flute, 6 of them which no. 5 is usually featured in Grade 8 ABRSM flute exams.

treeloving

Medalist
I just watch Yuzuru. He made jump mistakes but I love the performance very much all those little choreographic details he added do make a different. And in the first half he did not slow down or skate cautiously.:agree:

Anyway, , I hope this will be a sign that he will peak at world instead of at gpf.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
The sport progresses. Skaters have to strike quickly, or their time will pass.

Case in point: I was recently rewatching my favorite program ever, John Curry's 1976 Olympic program to Don Quixote. It was jaw dropping in its time. There were three triples. Loop, Toe, Sal.

That program might not have medaled 4 years later. It certainly wouldn't have beaten Robin Cousins.

Of course, one can enjoy skaters and programs that aren't competitive for podiums. Personally, I don't like Adam Rippon's style of skating, but I understand there are those who do. Adam will never win a world medal, unless all of the main contenders fall apart. But that doesn't mean his fans can't enjoy his skating.

As I'm sure you know, John Curry wasn't revered for his jumping ability, but for his artistry. And according to this contemporaneous BBC article, it was his artistry rather than those three well-executed triple jumps that won him the gold in 1976:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/february/11/newsid_4504000/4504532.stm

reneerose

Final Flight
Totally agree - this permeates the whole men's field. Pretty hard to be thinking about artistry and interpretation if all you're doing is setting up jumps.

Don't know if reversing trend toward quad jumps is even possible [emoji19]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Don't know if reversing trend toward quad jumps is even possible [emoji19]

Oh I can't imagine it's possible. Maybe there could be a limit set, but I doubt that either. And I would assume people are divided into 3 groups -- love 'em, hate 'em, or are indifferent..I was watching an old, old Nicole Bobeck You Tube and I found myself saying, "Oh look -- a spiral". I felt like I'd forgotten what they look like. Oh well? :confused2:

Warwick360

Medalist
Simon Reed also though the SP with the iffy 4Lo could beat 110.95 at NHK.

I think we all noted that here. The man, as amusing as he is sometimes, sure can make perceivably flippant comment most of the time. And trust me when I say that his questionable comments transcend beyond the world of figure skating. :disapp:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As I'm sure you know, John Curry wasn't revered for his jumping ability, but for his artistry. And according to this contemporaneous BBC article, it was his artistry rather than those three well-executed triple jumps that won him the gold in 1976:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/february/11/newsid_4504000/4504532.stm

Yes, in fact I do know that. I saw that unfold live on TV, and it hooked me on this sport for life.

Yes, his artistry that was amazing, and set him apart from the pack. But, he also kept up with the technical standards of the time.

He won when three triples was the standard for the best skaters. Now, we're nearing the point where the standard for the top tier will be three quads.

Especially in today's point-based era, a stunningly beautiful skater without a strong technical ability will not medal.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I just want to congratulate Nathan for being the only one with clean performance that night. Great job! :clap: I'll go being sad for other skaters somewhere else...

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
He struggled with the second half 4S3T in OP as well. The timing is just not right. The pause right before it's not serving as a resting spot, but rather makes one lose all the momentum, and you have to start again with 0-speed~~just not ideal.

He made doppelganger - type of error there to the one he already committed at GP before in the same exact program. He even fell in startlingly similar way. This is extremely difficult program & lay-out for him. He needs to replace it with some easier jumping pass, if he really feels that he has to quad in that place so maybe quad toe is a way to go?

Last edited:

HanDomi

Record Breaker
He made doppelganger - type of error there to the one he already committed at GP before in the same exact program. He even fell in startlingly similar way. This is extremely difficult program & lay-out for him. He needs to replace it with some easier jumping pass, if he really feels that he has to quad in that place so maybe quad toe is a way to go?

Just change combo to 1st salchow and this will be enough. Additional pressure of the need to nail the combo there is not helping

I don't understand at all why combo is planned for 2nd salchow.

Last edited: