2016 Finlandia Trophy Ladies FS | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2016 Finlandia Trophy Ladies FS

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I wouldn't say she beat them, they just didn't skate well. However, Kaetlyn is a fantastic skater and should she skate clean she could be tops in the world.

Of course she beat them. She stood at the top of the podium, didn't she? :p

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Anna's coach has had a negative influence on her mindset & career development. Winning or losing the games is very common for a sportsman, so why always put on such sad look? She is growing as a skater, but sadly not as a person.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
ARen't they all underage in the states? Great SarahSynchro now you can be charged for aiding and abbetting a minor. Hope you look good in stripes lol.

Bahahah, I'm Canadian, and the drinking age here is 19... so I guess only Liza is eligible in my country.

But I was thinking more so in Russia, where I believe the drinking age is 18, therefore Liza and Julia could very well go drinking together and drown their mutual skating sorrows in liquor and beer. ;) :laugh: Hell, Leonova should join them!

As for me in stripes, I think they make me look fat. :(

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
do not forget some provinces go with 18 for drinking age :)
Bahahah, I'm Canadian, and the drinking age here is 19... so I guess only Liza is eligible in my country.

But I was thinking more so in Russia, where I believe the drinking age is 18, therefore Liza and Julia could very well go drinking together and drown their mutual skating sorrows in liquor and beer. ;) :laugh: Hell, Leonova should join them!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Some provinces are 18 lol

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

I doubt that. You could always go with vertical stripes. Skaters should learn that trick to elongate the body and make the body line look more sleek and graceful. Mind you I find some skaters ie Evan L. and go you tube Kaetlyn Osmond's coach Ravi Walia - he looked awkward - very lean and slim but I just think he was too tall and it made especially some spins not so aesthetically wonderful imho.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Anna's coach has had a negative influence on her mindset & career development. Winning or losing the games is very common for a sportsman, so why always put on such sad look? She is growing as a skater, but sadly not as a person.

I really don't think this is a fair statement unless you know Anna or her coach personally. While certainly there are things one can say about Tsareva and how she appears and appears to interact with Anna at competitions (and people do, with varying degrees of seriousness), the fact is that no one has any idea what her day to day training environment is like or how much of Anna's reaction is attributable to her coach (my guess is close to none, she is just upset with herself, but this is only my guess since I don't know Anna or her coach personally either).

It's true that a few seasons ago Anna did try to switch coaches (though the reasons aren't clear and may or may not have had anything to do with personality clashes) but it's also essential to remember that she didn't because no one else would take her at that time, so to some degree Tsareva is the only reason she's been able to compete at all last year.

It's also important to remember she did win that pesky little World medal under Tsareva's coaching... I wouldn't really call that a negative thing for career development! Also, after her very successful last season, had she still wanted to switch coaches it is likely she could have. She made no effort to. So clearly something in her coaching situation is working for her now.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I've changed my mind about the placements after watching rewatching the skates.
Mao should have won and either Anna or Katelyn should be in 2nd place. Reason? Katelyn underrotated her 3T in the combo. I don't think that Anna underrotated her 3T in the combo, but anyway, I would have Mao in first, with a conservative, but very beautiful skate, it's a beautiful program and it's nice seeing her skate it without pressure. And I've no doubt that both programs are only going to get better and better.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Ah, I don't know. Not very exciting at all. I like Courtney Hicks' sp, but she completely fell off in confidence with her fp. I thought Hicks deserved better scores in the sp, but her fp music is not doing her any favors.

Mao seems to be slowing down technically a bit, and getting little love from the judges in the process, although she is as expressive and lovely as ever. Liza had a decent showing in her debut comeback this season, but she's not offering anything fresh or exciting artistically. Pogorilaya's opportunity was lost in the fp with too many mistakes strewn throughout. I suppose Kaetlyn Osmond was the lucky lady with perhaps the least mistakes? But still it was not the strongest of performances for Osmond, although better than what she was showing last season.

Medvedeva and Miyahara for sure are better, and even Mirai, Ashley W, and Gracie at their best would likely place ahead of these ladies' performances at Finlandia.

andromache

Record Breaker
I really don't think this is a fair statement unless you know Anna or her coach personally. While certainly there are things one can say about Tsareva and how she appears and appears to interact with Anna at competitions (and people do, with varying degrees of seriousness), the fact is that no one has any idea what her day to day training environment is like or how much of Anna's reaction is attributable to her coach (my guess is close to none, she is just upset with herself, but this is only my guess since I don't know Anna or her coach personally either).

It's true that a few seasons ago Anna did try to switch coaches (though the reasons aren't clear and may or may not have had anything to do with personality clashes) but it's also essential to remember that she didn't because no one else would take her at that time, so to some degree Tsareva is the only reason she's been able to compete at all last year.

It's also important to remember she did win that pesky little World medal under Tsareva's coaching... I wouldn't really call that a negative thing for career development! Also, after her very successful last season, had she still wanted to switch coaches it is likely she could have. She made no effort to. So clearly something in her coaching situation is working for her now.

Based on the number of times I watched them in the Kiss and Cry after this LP (too many times, in order to get my awful new avatar) I think they have a nice relationship. Anna is crying, Tsareva says a few things, Anna is still upset, Tsareva says something else and Anna laughs and starts to smile, like Tsareva told her a joke to cheer her up.

Sure she's no Kori Ade, but I think people read too much into her stone face and don't pay enough attention to her actual relationship with Anna.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've changed my mind about the placements after watching rewatching the skates.
Mao should have won and either Anna or Katelyn should be in 2nd place. Reason? Katelyn underrotated her 3T in the combo. I don't think that Anna underrotated her 3T in the combo, but anyway, I would have Mao in first, with a conservative, but very beautiful skate, it's a beautiful program and it's nice seeing her skate it without pressure. And I've no doubt that both programs are only going to get better and better.

The judges disagree with your analysis. Anna underrotated the 3T in her 3L-3T combo, as well as underrotating the 1Lo and 3S in her 3Lo-1Lo-3S. Don't forget the edge call on her flip.

Kaetlyn had a downgrade on the 1T in her 3S-1T-2Lo.

Mao did only 4 triple jumps, none of those on the second half of a combo. She did 5 double jumps, and had her usual ! on flutz.

So you are saying that you'd rather the top ladies' skaters do more double jumps than triples and only a double on the end of a combo, if that's the only way they can skate clean? Interesting.

Plus, you'd rather international skating replace a full panel of judges with ... you.:rolleye:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Medvedeva and Miyahara for sure are better, and even Mirai, Ashley W, and Gracie at their best would likely place ahead of these ladies' performances at Finlandia.

And Mao, Kaetlyn and Anna would also beat these performances at Finlandia at their best... because they weren't at their best here, duh :confused2:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
The judges disagree with your analysis. Anna underrotated the 3T in her 3L-3T combo, as well as underrotating the 1Lo and 3S in her 3Lo-1Lo-3S. Don't forget the edge call on her flip.

Mao did only 4 triple jumps, none of those on the second half of a combo. She did 5 double jumps, and had her usual ! on flutz.

So you are saying that you'd rather the top ladies' skaters do more double jumps than triples and only a double on the end of a combo, if that's the only way they can skate clean? Interesting.

Plus, you'd rather international skating replace a full panel of judges with ... you.:rolleye:

Well, given Wagner is your avatar, you would know about under-rotations and edge calls. Correction: her usual is e, not !.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria

I know that the judges disagreed with me, but it's nice of you to remind me of that ;). But when you watch Katelyn's FS you see without any doubt that she underrotated her 3T, nearly << imo. And I don't think that a clean skate is necessary. But in my opinion Katelyn didn't do a clean 3-3. So in that case I prefer Mao's clean skate. Normally I'm all for 3-3's, 3-1/3-3's. I like big jumps.