2016 JGP Germany Ladies FS | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2016 JGP Germany Ladies FS

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Has Gosviani switched and competed yet for her new country?

she can always switch countries like Gosviani, Yuschenko and Artemeieva ???
skate for Belarus, Azerbaijan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan or other stan countries.

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
Ha?? Who is Squirtle? And why?

Squirtle is one of the young talents from Korea, Eun Soo Lim, this is her first JGP season, placed 3rd in this competition and 5th last competition (her JGP debut) despite landing a big 3L and literally jumping into the boards on the 3T combo, yet coming back to finish that program strong.

This girl wears her emotions on her sleave yet somehow maintains compusure - only 13 y.o.

mish

Match Penalty
So, Marin Honda made it. I feel sorry for Stanislava. She was so heavily crying after
she went outside ... poor girl.
Was she? :(
I think silver medal and 4th place in international debut season is not bad, I would rather have her in Skate America than Serafima (is it theoretically possible to make such move?).

piona

On the Ice
I think silver medal and 4th place in international debut season is not bad, I would rather have her in Skate America than Serafima (is it theoretically possible to make such move?).

It is not bad, but not good enough for a Russian girl. Who knows if she gets a chance next year.

btw, a funny moment here: https://youtu.be/Q0p3sIWr6Q4?t=273
When the girl picked up that toy, the toy made a fart-like sound and everyone was laughing.

sarama

Medalist
Has Gosviani switched and competed yet for her new country?
She competed in Italian nationals last season, but she was a hot mess. As far as I know she hasn't competed in any international events yet, and I'm sorry but I have no idea if she is scheduled to take part in any upcoming competitions

Short answer: no
Longer answer: I believe it's impossible to compete in both junior and senior GP in the same season. And even if that was a possibility Sima would have to withdraw from Skate America and I think Stanislava would need to be the winner of a challenger series event to get on the substitute list and then be chosen by USFSA.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Switching country is always tricky. As I feel most skaters who switch countries cannot improve or do even worse than before they switch countries, and therefore, disappear from our radar. I think before anyone switches country, several conditions have to be met:

1) There is almost zero chance for you to get an international assignment or go to Worlds now and in the future.
2) You can continue to improve
3) The new country is weak and you will be sure to be #1.

She competed in Italian nationals last season, but she was a hot mess. As far as I know she hasn't competed in any international events yet, and I'm sorry but I have no idea if she is scheduled to take part in any upcoming competitions

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I agree. Stanislava is much much better than Serafima. Today her jumped super high, and she is full of courage. I think she needs a stronger core to control her air position and landing.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anyone else impressed with the little nuances of Anastasiia's program here. There are no real obvious moments that define the program which is kind of refreshing and allows our imaginations to run. It's the little stuff like the way during the StSeq she seems focused on maintaining the always present interpretation thru each step while integrating her arms and momentum to the flow of the music. As the StSeq concludes she does a stars entrance (a three count) that is right on the beat of a crescendo into a flying camel spin. It's an effective use of music and movement. Who choreographed for her?

Here...I've time stamped it.
https://youtu.be/BqlNy_kzWPk?t=53s

I also love how she does the Salchow directly into her final spin. It's gutsy without being an obvious point grab.

Last edited:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Anyone else impressed with the little nuances of Anastasiia's program here. There are no real obvious moments that define the program which is kind of refreshing and allows our imaginations to run. It's the little stuff like the way during the StSeq she seems more focused on maintaining the always present interpretation thru each ste with her arms and momentum. . As the StSeq concludes she does the stars entrance that are right on the crescendo of the music directly into a flying camel spin. It's an effective use of music and movement. Who choreographed for her?

I also love how she does the Salchow directly into her final spin. It's gutsy without being an obvious point grab.
Meeeee!
[emoji24] [emoji24]
The grace and the serenity in her movement is heavenly. The girl has the qualities of an ice dancer. Her use of knees to effortlessly move herself is astounding.

sarama

Medalist
Switching country is always tricky. As I feel most skaters who switch countries cannot improve or do even worse than before they switch countries, and therefore, disappear from our radar. I think before anyone switches country, several conditions have to be met:

1) There is almost zero chance for you to get an international assignment or go to Worlds now and in the future.
2) You can continue to improve
3) The new country is weak and you will be sure to be #1.

I don't want to be mean, but I think she isn't going to have a lot of success with this change. She didn't look promising at all, so or she is currently incapable of doing better or she underestimated the level of her competitors or she doesn't care much about skating anymore (which is totally allowed of course!). Seriously, if she can't medal at Italian Nationals (where the level isn't that high and the best juniors still have to compete as juniors), I don't believe her prospects are any good

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Anyone else impressed with the little nuances of Anastasiia's program here. There are no real obvious moments that define the program which is kind of refreshing and allows our imaginations to run. It's the little stuff like the way during the StSeq she seems focused on maintaining the always present interpretation thru each step while integrating her arms and momentum to the flow of the music. As the StSeq concludes she does a stars entrance (a three count) that is right on the beat of a crescendo into a flying camel spin. It's an effective use of music and movement. Who choreographed for her?

Yeah i don't know if i said it before, but i love in the 2nd half of the program when she does the 2a and the 3F-2t with almost zero prep time to set the combo and a little choreography in between with the hands: it looks almost a sequence of jumps.

https://youtu.be/Ni9n2z35Yjo?t=158

As a judge i would give a +2 / +3 for that 3F-2t out of nowhere.

RaylHaze

Rinkside
I really love gubanova's skating!! She's my fav jr russian skater this season. Just afraid of the 3-3's. Hopefully she gets better at it

Meoima

Match Penalty
Gubanova is amazing but can anyone fix her jumps? I hope she will improve her technique. Right now her jumps are scary and her landings mwke me feel uncomfortable because her upper body is too forward. It's like she jumps up and drops down too quickly.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah i don't know if i said it before, but i love in the 2nd half of the program when she does the 2a and the 3F-2t with almost zero prep time to set the combo and a little choreography in between with the hands: it looks almost a sequence of jumps.

https://youtu.be/Ni9n2z35Yjo?t=158

As a judge i would give a +2 / +3 for that 3F-2t out of nowhere.

That really is like zero set up into the 2a and I didn't notice the way she loops her hand out of the Tano :bow:

Alex D

Record Breaker
Ladies, as it happened

Just a few quick notes about our Ladies, as you know, we need to be nice to the Ladies, right?

My day did start at 6 AM, I could barely sleep as I was so nervous of today, with all that talent and incredible figure skating that we had in front of us. This is not just the story of one lady, but 37, who all gave their very best today and not a single one, is a loser, as you can not lose, if you give it all.
Ladies day, is always a special day and one lady was more than just special, she was so incredible, that being able to watch it live at the rink, half a meter away from her, was something, that I will tell my Grandkids about, what a tremendous effort! I had tears in my eyes during her skating, she lights a fire in people, you can´t deny that, nor that she is indeed a special one.

Anastasiia Gubanova was incredible,

the way she skates but also behaves off ice, is not easy to put into words. If you ask her anything, she will reply with a smile, not like a kid, but a young lady who respects you and want´s to make sure, that you enjoy your time with her.
Her whole skating is build on that concept and it is that detail, which for me, a figure skater should have. While it might be easier for some than for others, it´s a part of what you are, an athlete and an artist and without those watching, you would be neither of that. It´s the simple bow, the simple show of grattitude after and before you skate, that makes the difference between light and day for me.

Some might say, what nonsense is Alex talking again, why does he not tell us about the Russians triple Lutz - triple Toe - double toe or the five other triples and how she gained level 4s, it´s sport after all and yes, it is sport, but it´s a graceful one!
Anastasiia´s expression during the whole skating, was perfect in line with the music and when she landed her Sal right in front of my nose, goosebumps everywhere and to see what it meant for her, was breathtaking.
Maybe I make some of you jealous now, hell, I do hope so, because you need to see this skater at the ice rink! No video stream, can ever broadcast the emotions she has, the kind smile she sends you and how even the air at the venue, made space for her, out of respect of so much talent.

I salute you young lady and I hope to see you very soon again and please, protect this girl, don´t let the press or fans destroy her, let her go her way, the way she want´s to, let her keep that natural way of life, without talk shows and Rolling Stone magazines.

Of course, we had 36 more skaters, after sadly Diana Nikitina had to WD, due injury, something that as I believe, happened yesterday in practice. I said it before, speedy recovery young lady, you put a spell on me during the first days we met and I hope, to see you soon again. Of those that did skate, we saw great attitude and bravery, as of Lea Johanna, who for some reason, always skates best at home, in Dresden. Not a single UR called, well done and greatly skated today!
Also amazing was of course our Japanese lady Yuna I, as I call her, as we had two Yuna´s and I am so bad with family names, which is why I give skaters nicknames all the time. Like with Agi, who did so well for most parts of her program and did you see what she did during warm up? All others were coming on the ice, cruising, but Agi, she does Axels! I don´t know why, but she is such a fun girl to watch and achieved a very good 31st place.
Anyways, back to Yuna Shiraiwa who was skating to the OST of Notre Dame de Paris, overcoming the burden of a 6th pace after the short and I really enjoyed how she was using the bullet points of her music, like the hook line with the lady singing, to express said emotions and story lines created by the soundtrack. Not only was her skating flawless, no she also understood what she was skating to and is really fast on blades as well.
Fast is of course, also our South Korean lady Eunsoo Lim and in practice to clear this up, she almost landed a toeloop inside the boards, there was no space at all between blade and the edge! I never understand why skaters do that, maybe they hesitate too long and then just run out of space, I don´t know, but it´s really dangerous, you can easily run into big trouble with your knee there, so please ladies, yes I love it when you come close, but please take good care of you!

Lim has a beautiful choreo, sadly it was not her day, or was it, as she at least edged out our unlucky girl today, Stanislava Konstantinova, who had a very hard fall on the triple flip and I could hear, her pain, so sad to see a lady with so much potential, lose her third spot, in such pain. But even with the pain, she hang on and gave her absolute best, what a tough cookie this young Russian is and I hope, there is someone who will tell her that, as these Russian girls can take a loss very hard at times and even though I do not know this girl much, I believe she wanted to give us a great skate and now that she not only missed the GPF, but also the podium, she feels like a loser, but as I said at the start, nobody is a loser if they are trying their best and to achieve a jgp spot, is a big honor and to have the ability to skate on such a high level, is always something wonderful, be it in victory or defeat.

Last but not least, I also want to say how much i loved the Aussie girl Sophia Schaller. She and this hopefully doesn´t come over the wrong way now, but she could wear a potato sack and she would still rock it. What a beautiful young lady she is and how amazing are her outfits on both days and in practice too! Each day I was looking forward to what she would bring to the ice and today, the start was amazing with both combinations, triple toe - double toe and triple Sal - double toe, but in the end, mistakes crawled in, but she has a real talent that pretty much lays in just being her. Compliment at the guys in charge of her outfit, it looked different, but brilliant, especially today.

Much more could be said, each young lady has something she can be proud of, like the Estonian Kristina Shkuleta Gromova,- who did the Adelina spin, just beautifully or Amanda Stan who placed her elements so lovely within her program, always fitting to the music or what about Holly Harris, what a fast kid she is, with great flexibility and expression, in such a young age, Lani and Brooklee, someone is coming after you and it is hard to decide, who i like more, all three rock, Australia is blessed.
Blessed was also Veronika Sheveleva, as she did open up the competition and that girl just never gives up and she kept her heads up all times, that´s the spirit young lady! What can´t kill you, makes you stronger and soon the pain will be over and the memory to have not given up, will stay.

More about the ladies as always in my column!

Thank you all and be proud of yourselves and Renata heads up!

andyjo24

Medalist
Squirtle is one of the young talents from Korea, Eun Soo Lim, this is her first JGP season, placed 3rd in this competition and 5th last competition (her JGP debut) despite landing a big 3L and literally jumping into the boards on the 3T combo, yet coming back to finish that program strong.

This girl wears her emotions on her sleave yet somehow maintains compusure - only 13 y.o.

Sorry to be picky, but squirtle placed 4th in her 1st JGP...

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Ladies day, is always a special day and one lady was more than just special, she was so incredible, that being able to watch it live at the rink, half a meter away from her, was something, that I will tell my Grandkids about, what a tremendous effort! I had tears in my eyes during her skating, she lights a fire in people, you can´t deny that, nor that she is indeed a special one.

Anastasiia Gubanova was incredible,

the way she skates but also behaves off ice, is not easy to put into words. If you ask her anything, she will reply with a smile, not like a kid, but a young lady who respects you and want´s to make sure, that you enjoy your time with her.
Her whole skating is build on that concept and it is that detail, which for me, a figure skater should have. While it might be easier for some than for others, it´s a part of what you are, an athlete and an artist and without those watching, you would be neither of that. It´s the simple bow, the simple show of grattitude after and before you skate, that makes the difference between light and day for me.

Some might say, what nonsense is Alex talking again, why does he not tell us about the Russians triple Lutz - triple Toe - double toe or the five other triples and how she gained level 4s, it´s sport after all and yes, it is sport, but it´s a graceful one!
Anastasiia´s expression during the whole skating, was perfect in line with the music and when she landed her Sal right in front of my nose, goosebumps everywhere and to see what it meant for her, was breathtaking.
Maybe I make some of you jealous now, hell, I do hope so, because you need to see this skater at the ice rink! No video stream, can ever broadcast the emotions she has, the kind smile she sends you and how even the air at the venue, made space for her, out of respect of so much talent.

While I like many of the JPG ladies this year, this one just leaves me shaking my head and saying, "..and she is only 13!" Let us hope she remains uninjured and adapts to her " yet to arrive" new body unscathed. In five years, many of these young ladies could provide one of the most exciting Olys ever....