2016 JGP Yokohama Mens FS | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2016 JGP Yokohama Mens FS

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
(I hate when I try to edit a post on my phone and it gets deleted by accident)

Well done to Emmanuel Savary (24 points), Yuto Kishina (25 points), Mark Gorodnitsky (30 points), Kazuki Tomono AND Jun Hwan Cha (32 points), and especially Donovan Carillo (Over 46 points!) for significant total score PB improvement.

Congrats to Jun Hwan Cha on his first JGP gold as well!

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Things I find kind of funny: Everyone in the top 6 here would've won JGP St. Gervais.

You made me check the result of the French event, and you're right. The winner, Savosin didn't break 200. All of the top 6 skaters at this event got over 200.

Kuan

Final Flight
I am so proud of him! :hap57: He is the second male Korean after June Hyung Lee to win a JGP.

Rissa

Record Breaker
I have known for some time that Jun Hwan will be one of my favorites but for Pete's sake can they choose something that is not diazepam music for him next time?

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
That was a huge score for Cha, a fantastic performance and a clear winner. I thought Zhou was good on the jumps but I found the programme a bit forgettable. Surprised to Erokhov on the podium, I didn't think he would score that big. Great performances from the Top 6, really impressed with Kovalev, I thought he was a little undermarked on PCS.

The Japanese audience were amazing, very supportive to all the skaters and a great attendance at the event.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Kinda sad not see Kazuki on the podium. But so many of the men had great performances that they should all be proud of themselves. :agree:

s_parks

Record Breaker
Congrats! Best quality jumps from him probably- gotta work on those rotations a little more though, they were a bit generous here. ;)

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Is it a record that 6 men had over 200 points overall in JGP event? I'm not talking about Final. I don't think there will be an event better than that any soon. These boys are amazing!

Rissa

Record Breaker
The Japanese judge was harsh on Jun Hwan in PCS, compared to other judges...seems harsh in PCS in general though.

Lysambre

Final Flight
I can't believe that boy from India passed a junior test. It's making a mockery of the sport - and I believe it's his second JGP. Some kids in USA and Russia would do anything to skate at a JGP and Synchro don't even have a series

The ISU is trying a new kind of partnership with India. Which is why these kids were invited. Kudos to the ISU for standing up for representation of countries we're not used to seeing in figure skating.

I, like others here, am glad it happened.

Sure, they didn't have all the required skills. But as the commentator very well said, they both had the heart to be out there, on this ice. And I can't imagine it was an easy thing to do when you know you can only do a fraction of what everybody else can.

I'm very glad that the Japanese public is one of the most supportive crowd out there too.

Maybe the scores weren't that high, but I hope they had a great experience.

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
Congratulations to Jun Hwan, Vincent, and Alexey on their podium finishes! :clap:

So many talented skaters at this event! So many great performances!

I'm a HUGE fan of Kazuki Tomono and have been experiencing a lot of anxiety the last few days over how he would perform (probably because he's so unpredictable).
He seemed so nervous and really held back during his SP so I'm ECSTATIC at how well he was able to deliver his FS.
I am seriously the happiest, proudest auntie right now! So congratulations to him also! Great job!
Hoping his 4th place finish is enough for JSF to let him keep his 2nd JGP assignment.

And major props to the Japanese audience for being AMAZING as usual. Must be nice for these Jrs. to be able to perform to an arena FILLED with supportive figure skating enthusiasts.

oleada

Record Breaker
I haven't watched the skates yet - looking forward to it as it looks like the men did great - but the JGP is a developmental competition and I'm glad there is no minimum and skaters get to participate from all over, even if they are not the top skaters in skills. We wouldn't have the Chinese pairs program there is now if Yao Bin had not competed at Worlds, finished last and been inspired to create a top program. I can't imagine Indian figure skaters having access to the facilities or coaching that most Russian or American or Canadian skaters have.

ks777

Record Breaker
Jun Hwan Cha is very talented. reminds me of Hanyu a lot. Can't wait to see more of him!!

gkelly

Record Breaker
I can't believe that boy from India passed a junior test.

Most countries don't have tests -- they mainly use age to determine who competes at what level.

As does the ISU.

Minimum standards should be introduced.

There's always a tension in ISU events between allowing all federations to participate (the smaller federations tend to favor this most strongly) vs. requiring a minimum standard, or allowing only the best of the best at the elite events. Larger federations might prefer to be able to send more than 3 skaters per event, but both the championships and the senior and junior grand prix series limit each country to three. Except at the GP and JGP finals, should more than 3 qualify.

Historically there was no minimum standard for ISU competitions. When the number of entries got too large, there were qualifying rounds at championships, which made those events costlier to hold.

With IJS there are mostly-objective technical scores (as opposed to the PCS, which remain mostly subjective), and the number of federations wishing to participate is much larger than 20 or 40 years ago.

So now we have minimum technical scores required for participation in ISU championships, invitations to the senior Grand Prix based on world standings and best scores, but at least one place per federation on the Junior Grand Prix with no other restrictions, and now also the senior Challenger series with looser limits, if any, on representation by country.

There are also non-championship, non-series internationals hosted independently by various federations, which may offer multiple levels of events or only junior or senior. Most of these are in Europe.

And many club level competitions in North America with multiple levels.

How does a new or small federation build a program to get skaters to higher skill levels appropriate for participation in the championships? How do the biggest fish in those small ponds develop to be able to compete in bigger ponds?
Just staying home and competing against others of similarly restricted experience won't help them grow. If they're going to see the kinds of skills they need to work on up close, they need to travel. Coaches and judges from those countries need to travel to learn what the international standards are.

Federations from places other than North America or Europe need to travel long distances to compete outside their own countries at all.
It often makes financial sense to send a team of skaters and coaches and officials to a single event that's comparatively easy to travel to. For skaters who meet the junior age limits, JGP is often the most efficient way to get experience for such a team.

1) 5 deductions for Emmanuel? Ouch, poor guy.

Four falls and a time deduction.

And yet, still a PB by about 5 points.

His previous international PB was from 2011 Volvo Cup. He wasn't as powerful at age 13 as he is at 18, nor was he attempting triple axels and quads back then.

Good for the Indian kid Krishna for getting out there. I think it's got to be rough to compete knowing your level is nowhere near any of the other competitors. Maybe they can send him and the ladies' athlete to one of those developmental seminar things.

That would be useful. All the travel has to be paid for by someone though.