2016 Rostelecom Cup - Pairs SP | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2016 Rostelecom Cup - Pairs SP

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Wow chuckie, you've outdone yourself in being unable to read. Now you can't even read protocols. Since when did a 3S start looking like a 4S to you? Need I link the protocol to you? Here it is: http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1617/gprus2016/gprus2016_Men_SP_Scores.pdf

If you think a fall is the only reason one should get lower PCS then I am just feeling sorry for you. Because Savchenko/Massot had the highest PCS of the pairs event, despite both having fallen on the SBS jumps. Or does it not matter because they're not Canadian?

For Chuckie, only falls matter for the Canadians. For his favorites, planned BVs count when they they pop or fall.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Natalia & Alexander skated absolutely amazing, I did not see any mistakes, maybe some levels (DS?) were lost, but overall great skate. For me, it is right to put them on one, they skated clean and this needs to be rewarded. I was a bit shocked that both pairs, Canada and Germany managed to fall both, which actually doesn´t happen that often, as it´s usually just one skater who falls - so they at least skated well aligned right... ;)

I was impressed with Valentina and Ondrej, I like their short - great start with her hands on his shirt, looks great - good outfit!

Sadly not more time, but I was really digging both Russian pairs, Lituanian was nice too, she is so cute :luv17:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
:laugh: There’s a long way to Pyeongchang though :party2: Enough for now to focus on tech and Aliona being her great natural personality :thumbsup:

Come to think of it, do you think Robin was a better dancer?

Yes, Robin was less of a bulldozer. But most of the men in pairs are.

sneakers

Match Penalty
Zabijako / Enbert have about the same appeal as Bazarova / Larionov.
the new russian no.2 ? :slink:

whatif

Medalist
Pairs GPF looks so unpredictable. Literally any top 12 team not named D/R, who already in, could make it.

eta

Medalist
Just got back from a car accident :)hopelessness:), missed everything, sooooo sad to see S/B in 5th :eekn::cry:

Hope they have a great FS and be on the podium!

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Can someone more versed in pairs please explain the protocols a little for those of us learning. Why did most of them only get L2 for their twists, for example? What made the best lifts stand out? Etc.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
A very surprising short programme. I never expected the big two couples to both mess up their SBS jumps, still nothing to stop them from coming first and second after the free tomorrow.

A deserved lead for Z/E. They did everything cleanly with positive GOE's across the board. He struggled slightly on his 3T and they had a loss of sync on the spins. It was funny looking at their ISU bio, they have a total of 8 different partners!!! I really liked his partnerships with Davankova and Gerboldt. I think been in the Mozer camp is good for them.

S/M will score very big if they can do this programme cleanly. Both down on the 3S and a messy landing on the Th3a but she was round. It's a very dancey routine. I'm still not convinced he is near her level but he has definitely improved. I did think he looks a bit out of a shape, he looked wrecked in the K&C. I was glad to see M/H perform well here I think they are really under pressure from DM/G for the Italian No. 1 position. This style really suits them, she looked like she had came from the Great Gatsby. I was very impressed with A/R, it's a very different style from their usual but very lyrical and they pull it off very well. She has become a little inconsistent on the jumps, she is more likely to miss than land them. This performance was improvement from SA and it is much better than the Onegin one from the test skates.

S/B made a great impression last year but I'm not a huge fan of this programme. I'm surprised the judges had them only ranked 4th on PCS, I still expect them on the podium tomorrow. Delighted to see E/K make their GP debut. They did well bar the SBS, nice throws and lifts. Never heard of the Canadian coupled but I liked what I seen, with the depth in Canada I don't see them making it to Worlds but they might get a 4CC spot? The Lithuanians are a little behind the rest of the field, trouble on the jumps and dinged on levels. It was good to see a soberly dressed Alexander Smirnov in the K&C, not quite as dazzling as in Boston.

While the top two couples didn't deliver, I enjoyed and liked the other couples. Tomorrow I expect S/M and S/B to go 1 and with possibly Z/E grabbing the final spot?

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
A very surprising short programme. I never expected the big two couples to both mess up their SBS jumps, still nothing to stop them from coming first and second after the free tomorrow.

A deserved lead for Z/E. They did everything cleanly with positive GOE's across the board. He struggled slightly on his 3T and they had a loss of sync on the spins. It was funny looking at their ISU bio, they have a total of 8 different partners!!! I really liked his partnerships with Davankova and Gerboldt. I think been in the Mozer camp is good for them.

S/M will score very big if they can do this programme cleanly. Both down on the 3S and a messy landing on the Th3a but she was round. It's a very dancey routine. I'm still not convinced he is near her level but he has definitely improved. I did think he looks a bit out of a shape, he looked wrecked in the K&C. I was glad to see M/H perform well here I think they are really under pressure from DM/G for the Italian No. 1 position. This style really suits them, she looked like she had came from the Great Gatsby. I was very impressed with A/R, it's a very different style from their usual but very lyrical and they pull it off very well. She has become a little inconsistent on the jumps, she is more likely to miss than land them. This performance was improvement from SA and it is much better than the Onegin one from the test skates.

S/B made a great impression last year but I'm not a huge fan of this programme. I'm surprised the judges had them only ranked 4th on PCS, I still expect them on the podium tomorrow. Delighted to see E/K make their GP debut. They did well bar the SBS, nice throws and lifts. Never heard of the Canadian coupled but I liked what I seen, with the depth in Canada I don't see them making it to Worlds but they might get a 4CC spot? The Lithuanians are a little behind the rest of the field, trouble on the jumps and dinged on levels. It was good to see a soberly dressed Alexander Smirnov in the K&C, not quite as dazzling as in Boston.

While the top two couples didn't deliver, I enjoyed and liked the other couples. Tomorrow I expect S/M and S/B to go 1 and with possibly Z/E grabbing the final spot?

Can't agree more. :)

skatemouse

On the Ice
How is she too tall, she's 152cm and there's almost 30cm difference between them? :confused:

I should have been clearer sorry. She has definitely grown to me it looks like and I know it says he is 5'11 but it could be fudged slightly they just seem close in height to me? I think they look awesome but the pair elements are not strong and twist looks especially weak as she pikes going into a double? Not good.

They seem to have fun skating together

Other point was after watching this years GP I am really missing the team of Scimeca/Knierim!! I hope she heals fast and gets back to training. Is there anyone who has an update on them??? UGH I think they could have easily made the GP Final again!!

QuadThrow

Medalist
Can someone more versed in pairs please explain the protocols a little for those of us learning. Why did most of them only get L2 for their twists, for example? What made the best lifts stand out? Etc.

I always look for people wanna know more about pair skating.

I am not an expert but I can tell you this:

Twist:
There are 5 features you can get. Every feature is one level up.
1) lady´s split position more than 45 degree
2) man´s arm under the shoulder during the twist
3) difficult entry
4) catching the lady at the waist without touching each other at the upper body
5)lady´s arm above the head during the twist

There is only one pair in the world who is going for feature 5 (Sui/Han). Sometimes the technical commitee is very strict und many pairs only get level 2. Even Savchenko/Massot got level 2 today. I am not sure why. Maybe the entry was not difficult enough and she touched his upper body during the dismount. So they only got feature 1) and 2).

Other features of a twist (height and easiness) are rewarded with the GOE.

Any questions?

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Sad S/M and S/B got bad skates, but I'm absolutely delighted for Valentina & Ondrej getting PB! And they were so happy too! :hap10:

QuadThrow

Medalist
So, a horizontal Tano gets level raise while a vertical Tano gets GOE rewards. :)

Yeah, definitly. I never really get why you receive levels and GOE for the twist. GOE should be enough. The twist is a very valuable element and you can get or lose points very easily with the combination of levels and GOE.

Twist BV GOE

3Tw4 6,6 +3 8,7
4Tw4 9,1 -1 8,1

Throw BV GOE
3STh 4,5 +3 6,6
4STh 8,2 -1 7,2

So if you wanna do Quads then do a Quad throw.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
I always look for people wanna know more about pair skating.

I am not an expert but I can tell you this:

Twist:
There are 5 features you can get. Every feature is one level up.
1) lady´s split position more than 45 degree
2) man´s arm under the shoulder during the twist
3) difficult entry
4) catching the lady at the waist without touching each other at the upper body
5)lady´s arm above the head during the twist

There is only one pair in the world who is going for feature 5 (Sui/Han). Sometimes the technical commitee is very strict und many pairs only get level 2. Even Savchenko/Massot got level 2 today. I am not sure why. Maybe the entry was not difficult enough and she touched his upper body during the dismount. So they only got feature 1) and 2).

Other features of a twist (height and easiness) are rewarded with the GOE.

Any questions?

Ooh, thank you. That was very clear. One question- what does count as a difficult entry then? Any recent examples?

QuadThrow

Medalist
Ooh, thank you. That was very clear. One question- what does count as a difficult entry then? Any recent examples?

That is questionable point. Difficult is always a technical controler´s interpretation.

Here are some level 4 twist with difficult set-up:

Volosozhar/Trankov, little steps going direcly into the twist (not sure why this is so difficult):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8t1F9TtOsc&t=276s

Savchenko/Szolkowy (steps too):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crfXhlksmtg

Scimeca/Knierim (first and only level 4 twist ever and third-highest pair skating element ever, twizzles)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjP73710c4Y

I have also seen man touching the lady at her waist and doing a twizzle before the twist.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
That is questionable point. Difficult is always a technical controler´s interpretation.

Volosozhar/Trankov, little steps going direcly into the twist (not sure why this is so difficult):

Scimeca/Knierim (first and only level 4 twist ever and third-highest pair skating element ever, twizzles)

I have also seen man touching the lady at her waist and doing a twizzle before the twist.

Thank you. That made it a lot clearer. Thanks so much for finding the videos! Really kind. So really any sort of transitions that single skaters might use as entry to jumps could be regarded as a difficult entry then?

skatemouse

On the Ice

Wow this was all great. That quad twist from S/K was magnificent Wow. This was really helpful though thank you!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Why did Savchenko/Massot remove the awesome twist exit??? That was such an important part of the choreography and also the interpretation of the music, particularly since it came right after the lyric of "twisting around on the carousel". Will be really disappointed if they have removed it permanently.