2016 Rostelecom Cup Short Dance | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2016 Rostelecom Cup Short Dance

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Chock/Bates. I seriously have never watched Bates after all these years. My eyes are instantly drawn to Chock. And stayed on Chock for the entire performances. Bates really needs to step it up to keep up. She reminds me of Oksana Grishuk. I never remember what Platov did because he just disappeared in the routines.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
B/S is past world medalist. Hardly third-tier.

For the record I think the PCS is a bit much, but I also think they are not as terrible as people make them out to be. I had to eat major crow after seeing these guys live.

I didn't think they are slow. But the way this girl was hunching and breaking her bodyline to gain speed, it's very disturbing. I don't know. Maybe she's too tall for him. She has the same problem that Anjelika Krylova had with strange posture. Miki Ando is another girl with similar problem.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Their PCS also went up a bit. 37 is usually reserved for Davis/White Virtue/Moir, not some 3rd tier skaters.

It's called Program component score, not Treshold component score. I don't see how a couple that doesn't even compete anymore has any hold over how the scores are given today.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
And honestly, PCS and GOEs have seriously gone wild for everyone. I would cite 2016 Worlds but I think the ball got rolling during the Junior GP series last season when the teams were getting astronomical numbers.

mylifeback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
B/S is a team that has really grown on me to the point where I now really appreciate what they bring. The Olympic year they did nothing for me but I've really enjoyed their programs the last two seasons. Their scores here seem a teensy high but at SA I thought they were underscored.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I didn't think they are slow. But the way this girl was hunching and breaking her bodyline to gain speed, it's very disturbing. I don't know. Maybe she's too tall for him. She has the same problem that Anjelika Krylova had with strange posture. Miki Ando is another girl with similar problem.

I think she's improved in this arena (posture). It used to be just plain terrible back in 2011-2012, when I really disliked them.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
It's called Program component score, not Treshold component score. I don't see how a couple that doesn't even compete anymore has any hold over how the scores are given today.

Because that's the standard they set. Did B/S cross that threshold? No. If they did, they should get it. That's why they have record. You can break record, you just can't be given a record. They are given record scores here.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Because that's the standard they set. Did B/S cross that threshold? No. If they did, they should get it. That's why they have record. You can break record, you just can't be given a record. They are given record scores here.

FWIW, D/W's highest PCS was 39.17. So they're not at the record yet.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Kaitlyn and Andrew I saw for the very first time this season, so that I have no comparison.
You could not see them this season as COR is actually their first competition of the season. They were supposed to skate at Finlandia Trophy in early October, but did not as they were changing their SD. Their original SD was blues-swing to 'Black Velvet' by Alannah Myles and 'Swinging' by Leann Rimes. Considering all of this, and also their coaching changes during the summer which meant also less training/preparation time for them in general, I am surprised that people are judging their performance here like they are on the same page as Chock/Bates and Bobrova/Soloviev for both of whom this is the fourth competition of the season and who did not have such hindrances during the summer like Weaver/Poje and neither had to change their SDs recently. So I think it's much too premature to write W/P off based on this first public performance of a new SD. Chock/Bates and Bobrova/Soloviev were not so good in their first competitions either, even though they did not have to change their programs before that.

All of this is not directed towards you, of course. Your whole post is really so positive - I enjoyed it a lot. I was just too lazy to search for posts of those people who were writing W/P off on this thread to quote them (am writing from my phone which makes all of that so much more uncomfortable).

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
You could not see them this season as COR is actually their first competition of the season. They were supposed to skate at Finlandia Trophy in early October, but did not as they were changing their SD. Their original SD was blues-swing to 'Black Velvet' Alannah Myles and 'Swinging' by Leann Rimes. Considering all of this, and also their coaching changes during the summer which meant also less training/preparation time in general, I am surprised that people are judging their performance here like they are on the same page as Chock/Bates and Bobrova/Soloviev for both of whom this is the fourth competition of the season and who did not have such hindrances during the summer like Weaver/Poje and neither had to change their SDs recently. So I think it's much too premature to write W/P off based on this first public performance of a new SD. Chock/Bates and Bobrova/Soloviev were not so good in their first competitions either, even though they did not have to change their programs before that.

FWIW, the Shibs did not do any Senior B competitions either and while they have work to do, they weren't too far behind. Still, I agree it's early to write them off--there's still the FD!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
You could not see them this season as COR is actually their first competition of the season. They were supposed to skate at Finlandia Trophy in early October, but did not as they were changing their SD. Their original SD was blues-swing to 'Black Velvet' Alannah Myles and 'Swinging' by Leann Rimes. Considering all of this, and also their coaching changes during the summer which meant also less training/preparation time in general, I am surprised that people are judging their performance here like they are on the same page as Chock/Bates and Bobrova/Soloviev for both of whom this is the fourth competition of the season and who did not have such hindrances during the summer like Weaver/Poje and neither had to change their SDs recently. So I think it's much too premature to write W/P off based on this first public performance of a new SD. Chock/Bates and Bobrova/Soloviev were not so good in their first competitions either, even though they did not have to change their programs before that.

No one is "writing them off." What people are saying is they expected a better, more interesting SD from them. The entire first section is just plain dull.

matcha

Medalist
No one is "writing them off." What people are saying is they expected a better, more interesting SD from them. The entire first section is just plain dull.

Nah, let's be real, people have been writing them off since Tessa and scott announced they were coming back.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I just saw Madison and Evan's SP........As beautiful as Madison is...And she's gorgeous!!! She owes Evan a Giant Muffin Basket!! I'm always so enthralled with watching her that I never really pay attention to him. Now that they're both in Pants you can really see what a GREAT skater he is. I loved them today and hope they have a strong free dance. WOW!!!

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I don't remember who said Kaitlyn had raccoon eye makeup, but I loved that! :laugh: She was commanding on the ice with the powerful and glaring eyes. The program needs more mileage because their unison and edgework weren't in a best form yet, but this was their first debut of the program, so I wasn't disappointed. I may fall in love with the program at Cup of China.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I don't remember who said Kaitlyn had raccoon eye makeup, but I loved that! :laugh: She was commanding on the ice with the powerful and glaring eyes. The program needs more mileage because their unison and edgework weren't in a best form yet, but this was their first debut of the program, so I wasn't disappointed. I may fall in love with the program at Cup of China.

I said she was wearing so much eye makeup I spent at least 30 seconds of their program wondering how she kept her eyes open.

Yes my mind tends to wander like that when I find the program boring.

Andrew and Kaitlyn can do passion so well. Why was that blues so antiseptic? Inquiring minds want to know.

Ice Diva

On the Ice
I said she was wearing so much eye makeup I spent at least 30 seconds of their program wondering how she kept her eyes open.

Yes my mind tends to wander like that when I find the program boring.

Andrew and Kaitlyn can do passion so well. Why was that blues so antiseptic? Inquiring minds want to know.

:big grin: sounds like something my grandmother says before I go out to party!! It's early in the season for them, so hopefully the blues portion improves. And if they raise their BV too, that will bring them closer to top teams.

Astrid56

Final Flight
Agree with the result _ C/B - 1st (should be a little higher_ specifically PCS - in composition and interpretation/timing), B/S - 2nd, and W/P - 3rd. Love W/P's SD but it isn't a true Hip hop (C/B's is), however it's beautifully choreographed in terms of timing/interpretation). I don't know how well the British commentators know Hip Hop but they seem to be seeing these socalled Hip Hop programs from a different perspective.

Last edited:

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

It was me. :laugh: Commanding yes, distracting, definitely though. But I hope they can rally and do well. I used to really like them as a team...