2016 Rostelecom Cup Short Dance | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2016 Rostelecom Cup Short Dance

slider11

Medalist
Oh my GODDDD why is the tech score dropping?!?!? :sad21:

I am wondering that, too. The twizzles got hit at level 2. Andrew may have been a mili-second late in grabbing his blade but I don't get the level 2. Maybe the hop into the twizzles was not evident? The twizzles were right in front of the judges so maybe that made them mores suceptible to scrutiny -good and bad. I dunno...the music did not thrill me. Close up Kaitlyn's eyes are scary but from a distance probably gives a jazzy vibe. Love W/P; hope their FD is stronger.

matcha

Medalist
I don't remember who said Kaitlyn had raccoon eye makeup, but I loved that! :laugh: She was commanding on the ice with the powerful and glaring eyes. The program needs more mileage because their unison and edgework weren't in a best form yet, but this was their first debut of the program, so I wasn't disappointed. I may fall in love with the program at Cup of China.
She has a wee too much on, it doesn't suit her face and colouring, if she's gonna do smoky she should look to Amy Adams.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Have Madison and Evan competed yet this season? I was wondering how they've been scoring in the Free Dance. After watching their SD today, I have a whole new respect for Evan and I'm going to try and not get lost in Madison's beauty and watch him skate.

shyne

Final Flight
Have Madison and Evan competed yet this season? I was wondering how they've been scoring in the Free Dance. After watching their SD today, I have a whole new respect for Evan and I'm going to try and not get lost in Madison's beauty and watch him skate.

They competed at SC last week, finished second after V/M

Astrid56

Final Flight

They competed in Skate Canada last week. Overall, Virtue/Moir won the Gold but Madi/Evan won the Free Dance.

Astrid56

Final Flight
I am wondering that, too. The twizzles got hit at level 2. Andrew may have been a mili-second late in grabbing his blade but I don't get the level 2. Maybe the hop into the twizzles was not evident? The twizzles were right in front of the judges so maybe that made them mores suceptible to scrutiny -good and bad. I dunno...the music did not thrill me. Close up Kaitlyn's eyes are scary but from a distance probably gives a jazzy vibe. Love W/P; hope their FD is stronger.

The levels are determined and assigned before the performance by the Technical panel (the coaches are made aware of the assessments) but the judging panel makes the scoring adjustments (called grades of execution) based on performance. _ can be a +3 or a -3 (the higher it is the higher the point values, vice-versa)

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
They competed in Skate Canada last week. Overall, Virtue/Moir won the Gold but Madi/Evan won the Free Dance.

Holy Cow.....I just watched them. I'll say it again. She is so beautiful that it's easy to be distracted from Evan's great skating. He's a really fantastic skater and they hit the jackpot with these programs. I'm blown away by them and I hope they win big tomorrow. :cheer2:

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Holy Cow.....I just watched them. I'll say it again. She is so beautiful that it's easy to be distracted from Evan's great skating. He's a really fantastic skater and they hit the jackpot with these programs. I'm blown away by them and I hope they win big tomorrow. :cheer2:

I feel bad because I don't pay attention to Evan at all. He's like Madison's hype man who's just there, almost always in a spread eagle. She's performing the crap outta the program like a pro, and he happens to be beside her.

If Madison and Evan were in Salt-n-Peppa, Madison would be Salt AND Peppa. Evan is Spinderella.

:rofl::laugh2:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I feel bad because I don't pay attention to Evan at all. He's like Madison's hype man who's just there, almost always in a spread eagle. She's performing the crap outta the program like a pro, and he happens to be beside her.

If Madison and Evan were in Salt-n-Peppa, Madison would be Salt AND Peppa. Evan is Spinderella.

KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh2: YAAAASSSSSSS:cheer2:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yes. I am not sure it is a good move for them.

I believe they felt like they didn't have much choice? They wouldn't want to move to Montreal to train with V/M and P/C, as well as P/I who are number 4 for Canada, or to Scarboro to skate with G/P, or to Michigan to train with Marina and the Shibs or Igor and C/B.

andromache

Record Breaker
I like Kaitlyn and Andrew's SD a lot, but he needs more personality.

I also found myself disappointed that it didn't turn out to be a Michael Jackson program. If I was a coach/choreographer/skater, I'd be all about that Thriller. So much fun!

But anyway, this program was a lot of fun, and I liked that they didn't go traditional. Idk about any of the ice dance stuff, but this program still has a lot of room to grow. Even emotion-wise, they could use a bit more balance. And some more hip-hop edge. Though I loved seeing Morozov fist-pumping and jumping by the boards by the end.

A lot to like, a lot to learn from. Hitting more levels won't hurt.

FlattFan

Match Penalty

:rofl: I almost choked.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Maybe I've watched the earlier performances a little too much, but I felt Evan turned it up a notch at Rostelecom Cup. I ended up watching him a lot more than usual and he does know how to move those hips. Madison is a star and is seriously a natural performer. I spent a few seasons really not liking Chock/Bates based on their choreography and performance style and feeling like their weaknesses in skating skills (not Evan's so much) was ignored due to Madison's natural charisma, but this season they have a style that really works for them as a team. Maybe their FD will finally win me over tomorrow.

I also didn't think Kaitlyn/Andrew were really that bad to warrant such negativity that I've read. At worst, it's a servicable vehicle for them. I think Kaitlyn gets the dance and Andrew has potential. My favorite part of his performance was actually after the performance where he and Kaitlyn were dancing back to the KnC.

Out of the hip hops I've seen from the top senior teams, the only ones that I don't really like are Hubbell/Donohue's and Stepanova/Bukin. In the case of the latter, it's entertaining, fun and energetic but it's truly the least hip hop of the group. It's more perky pep rally than anything. As to the former, I'm disappointed in Hubbell's actual dancing and I think the music cuts and concept hinder their potential to have the program build and dance out. It's a concept gone awry. Virtue/Moir's isn't really hip hop but thanks to watching a HD video, I noticed a lot more nuances in their SD and Tessa is such a beautiful dancer who knows how to hit the nuances and beats of the music and really move to it. The Shibs can hit the hip hop (and blues) harder and I think Maia needs to be a bit more grounded in her dance but she and Alex really look great out there and I think they have my favorite choreographed hip hop by far and I think this one has the most potential to really grow to something truly excellent.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I wonder if Weaver and Poje are going to be replaced with Gilles and Porier. Like wise will C and L be replaced by their compatriots? And can the Shibs hold off the charging C and B?