2016 Trophée de France Ladies FS | Page 57 | Golden Skate

2016 Trophée de France Ladies FS

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
FWIW, the press release (from Thursday) for Sunday's NBCSN broadcast bills it as coverage of the men's and ladies free skates.

Just my two cents:
I could see a certain amount of NBCSN de-emphasis on ladies -- b/c media darling Gracie unfortunately was well off the podium. But I don't think NBCSN would ignore ladies entirely???
Adam vs. Nathan vs. the international men is a great opportunity for storytelling.
And it would be a good time for NBCSN to show more dance than usual -- P/C and H/D.​

As usual, NBCSN showed the men, followed by the ladies, and then an extra from the other disciplines.

As I recall:

Nathan Chen SP
Chen FS
Rippon FS
Ten FS
Fernandez FS

Gold FS
Higuchi FS
Medvedeva FS
Sotskova FS
Daleman FS

Papadakis / Cizeron FD (the Johnny & Tara commentary team offered virtually nothing to this)

That's it.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Who won the blasted competition? Hoping Gracie can pull it together.

The results are easily found on the ISU site.

One of the easy ways to see them there:

(1) Go to the OP of this thread.

(2) Click on "Official Results and Protocols."

(3) On the ISU page at that link, click on the "Result" link for Ladies.

slider11

Medalist
I think Gracie, Mao and Gabby need to go out to a local French drinking establishment and figure this out! Why are we not able to produce the same results in competition that we're showing in practice? And maybe call Mirai too... Maybe they can form some sort of woman-power support group.

annzee703

Rinkside
When did NBCSN show ice dancing? I turned it on at about 4:40 PM and saw men's, followed by ladies and then by 5:58 they were showing the interior of a racing car.

I have another question. The only male skater I saw who was superior to Adam Rippon's total skate (great ss, artistry galore, etc) was Javier. Denis Ten's LP seemed to me to be devoid of any artistry. What am I missing?

winky97

Medalist
When did NBCSN show ice dancing? I turned it on at about 4:40 PM and saw men's, followed by ladies and then by 5:58 they were showing the interior of a racing car.

I have another question. The only male skater I saw who was superior to Adam Rippon's total skate (great ss, artistry galore, etc) was Javier. Denis Ten's LP seemed to me to be devoid of any artistry. What am I missing?

As far as ice dance they only showed P/C and it was right after the ladies

gotoschool

Medalist
I think Gracie, Mao and Gabby need to go out to a local French drinking establishment and figure this out! Why are we not able to produce the same results in competition that we're showing in practice? And maybe call Mirai too... Maybe they can form some sort of woman-power support group.

Mao has a left knee injury and said that her practices have not been so good. She has also had to reduce her training time because of the injury which has hurt her level of conditioning. I wish she wouldn't compete while injured and take time to recover before competing again.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Hey, I was off working. Anyone see my pet Poltergeist flying around the arena? He appears to humans as a pigeon....hope he comes home....

So sad for Mao, Gracie, Alena and Gabby...best wishes for the future....

Meoima

Match Penalty

yuki

Final Flight
Mao still landed 3A in practice https://twitter.com/ciel_maomao/status/798081659849449472
It's not just her knee, it's her mentality

What mentality is that, more precisely? She came injured to a competition with 0 stakes for her (she wouldn't have qualified for the GPF anyway and she wasn't even trying the 3A) and she still chose to compete.
Btw, the fact that she (supposedly) landed the 3A directly contradicts your previous claim that she can barely land any triples.

gotoschool

Medalist
Mao still landed 3A in practice https://twitter.com/ciel_maomao/status/798081659849449472
It's not just her knee, it's her mentality

Read this post from someone who was there at Trophee de France in which they say that Mao only attempted two triples in warmup and all the rest were doubles, Her knee cannot handle the strain of many jumping passes in a row. When I was in Finlandia Mao could only make it through 3 jumping passes before she began to grimace from pain and had to stop jumping, It also affects her because she cannot train for a long time and build up endurance which again is a physical issue. Mao also said that her training was not so good leading up to Trophee de France and her run throughs weren't either. Whether she lands the triple axel in Japan or not, it is one only jump not a series of 7 jumping passes and the one jump that puts the most strain on her left knee making further jumping passes extremely difficult, and the fact that someone so committed to the jump is not even trying it or that we don't even have videos of her practicing it shows how seriously affected she is by her knee injury and casts a lot of doubt on how well she is able to do the jump at the moment. Se is not practicing it in Grand Prix events.

Mao is not going to continue to use her injury as an excuse because she doesn't want to seem to be complaining, but it is obvious that her left knee injury is the main issue. I don't think she should be skating in her current condition, but I want to support her if she does, so I am kind of in a dilemma. I think Coach Sato should try to exert more control and persuade her not to compete and seek treatment instead. He has mentioned that he is afraid she will retire if she takes a break now, but Mao's jumping may continue to deteriorate unless treatment is sought immediately. It is obvious that a major injury like jumper's knee that is getting worse with every competition is going to decrease one's confidence due to the simple fact that jumps can't be executed, but the main issue is the knee pain.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?38067-Mao-Asada/page250

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
what I don't understand about Mao, is why is she competing at all? Wouldn't it be a better bet to rest, heal, and get back on track when she's better?

Looking at Japanese Nationals, it's not guaranteed for ANYONE to make it to the world team... so if Mao is not 100% she may not rank high enough... and with the kind of results she has right now, she certainly wouldn't pass any of the Japanese top skaters except for Ngai.

Does anyone have an answer????

Meoima

Match Penalty
What mentality is that, more precisely? She came injured to a competition with 0 stakes for her (she wouldn't have qualified for the GPF anyway and she wasn't even trying the 3A) and she still chose to compete.
Btw, the fact that she (supposedly) landed the 3A directly contradicts your previous claim that she can barely land any triples.
she barely landed triples in competition. My point is her mind isn't in. She really needs a break from this.

gotoschool

Medalist
she barely landed triples in competition. My point is her mind isn't in. She really needs a break from this.

Mao only landed a couple of triples in warmup and there are no clips of triple axels, so the issue is her physical ability to land triples given a weak left knee that is causing a lot of pain and she probably planned a lot of the doubles as others have said so as to be able to make it through the performance since the knee cannot a lot of jumping passes with triples. Mao should have probably withdrawn but she has an honorable devotion to competing which is noble but hard at times to understand especially given her current condition. Her mind is obviously affected by the injury but that is like saying a sprinters confidence is affected by a hamstring injury. Of course, an athlete can't have the same level of confidence when they have an injury that affects their performance a great deal.

Last edited:

yuki

Final Flight
what I don't understand about Mao, is why is she competing at all? Wouldn't it be a better bet to rest, heal, and get back on track when she's better?

No one really knows, she has always been very stubborn and very hard on herself and does not like to use her condition as an "excuse" for not competing/not trying her best. This is why I find it ridiculous that people are questioning her motivation, of all things. When you see a skater battling through physical pain and personal disappointment just so she can compete and having the courage to put herself out there at her worst for the whole world to see and the best you can come up with is that she's mentally weak... :slink:

That said, I do think that it was a mistake for her to be here and that it has affected her confidence.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
I have long since given up trying to guess what Mao is thinking or to understand why she makes certain decisions. To me, being her fan means supporting whatever she does and hoping for the best outcome. ;)

TangoTraumatica

On the Ice

I'm not sure I would put Gabby in the same category in this case. Gracie imploded on both programs. Gabby had a rough first few jumping passes, and then pulled herself together, recommitted to the performance, and stayed on her feet. Sure, it wasn't a great program PC-wise or technically, but she pushed through. I'm honestly really proud to see her fight for a program rather than completely bail to whole way through.