2016 World Championships Mens Short Program | Page 74 | Golden Skate

2016 World Championships Mens Short Program

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What is the consensus ( haven't read through thread yet) was Adam underscored or fairly scored?

Several people have said last night, here and there, that Adam and Shoma should have been flipped, final position wise. I agree with that ... both from watching their performances, and also after taking a closer look at the protocols. (I haven't caught up on posts this a.m.) Adam was held down in scores, and Shoma was held up, as were Javi and Patrick. Just like the bad old days.:noshake:

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And I just do not understand how someone like THAT is completely popular and everyone loves him and thinks he's so adorable, but Max is just the dumping guy,

You can't force people to fall in love with the skater you choose. Thankfully, we each get to love who we love. More often than not, it's based on the skating performances.

Last edited:

MasterB

Final Flight
Must ask. Does anyone know the small group of people who are at every skating event and always in the front row and they always wear American flag jackets?? I've been seeing them for years. Die hard fans for sure.

Yes, they have been to 31 nationals and 11 worlds and bunch of GP events. I am sitting a few rows behind them.

Watermelondrea

Final Flight
Am I the only one who believes Kolyada deserves to be in third, maybe second? Javier was wayyyy overscored, sorry that program isn't a masterpiece and doesn't deserve to break 90. Same goes for Chan and Uno. I actually thought Kolyada deserved to have somewhat of a 90...

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
1. Hanyu is king. jumps like butter out of nowhere but i still think he is marked too high for pcs. i know he is loved but he is gifted a little too much by the judges.

I agree. I wondered why I wasn't 100% feeling it last night, the way I did for NHK and GPF. I thought it was the bad feeling I was getting that Shoma's, Javi's and Patrick's marks were overly generous. But after looking at the protocols, I still feel the same. Having said that, though, Hanyu is undoubtedly a skating phenomenon.

Watermelondrea

Final Flight
She did not have a lot to say but was complimentary about his presentation overall, but disagreed with her commenting partner about his technical abilities and the level of success he has with 4lz. She was talking about Arutyunian for the most part and gave most credit to him. She absolutely hated everything about Max Aaron, called him walking on the ice and zero skating skills and no presentation also was not too impressed with jumps. So clearly preferred Adam between two US skaters.

For those who interested what else she said:
1. She spent a big chunk of last group puzzled by Fernandez score going as far as saying that tonight she did not see 6 points worth gap between Jin and Javier in PCS. And could not understand why he had such a high TES score as well. Thought that Javier should have been much closer to both Jin and Kolyada.
2. Thought that Umo also should have been behind Jin.
3. Called Jin's judging shameless
4. Was gushing over Chan's PCS abilities and called them unmatched.
5. Was brutally honest about kovtun's skating and was not a fan at all
6. They turned off mics during Yuzu's skate. And only superlatives afterwards going as far as saying that she is happy and proud to be alive to witness this masterpiece.

EDIT:
7. Was kind of confused who Nam Nguyen is and why he ranked so high and is in the penultimate group. LOL. Her partner in the booth reminded her that Nam is the reigning Canada champ and was 5th in the last Worlds that followed with a lot of snark afterwards. But they did speculate that his growth spurt might be the culprit.

Wow!! Is this the first time we are seeing 100% nonbiased commentary from Tarasova?! There was not one point in this that I didn't disagree with!! :)

da96103

Record Breaker
She did not have a lot to say but was complimentary about his presentation overall, but disagreed with her commenting partner about his technical abilities and the level of success he has with 4lz. She was talking about Arutyunian for the most part and gave most credit to him. She absolutely hated everything about Max Aaron, called him walking on the ice and zero skating skills and no presentation also was not too impressed with jumps. So clearly preferred Adam between two US skaters.

For those who interested what else she said:
1. She spent a big chunk of last group puzzled by Fernandez score going as far as saying that tonight she did not see 6 points worth gap between Jin and Javier in PCS. And could not understand why he had such a high TES score as well. Thought that Javier should have been much closer to both Jin and Kolyada.
2. Thought that Umo also should have been behind Jin.
3. Called Jin's judging shameless
4. Was gushing over Chan's PCS abilities and called them unmatched.
5. Was brutally honest about kovtun's skating and was not a fan at all
6. They turned off mics during Yuzu's skate. And only superlatives afterwards going as far as saying that she is happy and proud to be alive to witness this masterpiece.

EDIT:
7. Was kind of confused who Nam Nguyen is and why he ranked so high and is in the penultimate group. LOL. Her partner in the booth reminded her that Nam is the reigning Canada champ and was 5th in the last Worlds that followed with a lot of snark afterwards. But they did speculate that his growth spurt might be the culprit.

Was Kovtun the skater that Tarasova slapped in the arm in a video?

whatif

Medalist
Was Kovtun the skater that Tarasova slapped in the arm in a video?

She still listed as his coach BUT she said that she no longer coaches him and has very little involvement in decision-making such as silly stuff as putting 4T in the programme which he never manages to pull off and gets invalidated.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Negative? Do you even know what that word means? If judges wanted to reward him he would score over 90. They didn't and that's okay, but don't say it like he should be thankful to judges. He was one of very few skaters, who had quad in program and all jumps clean. + He performs well and his SS are nice too. So, no, it's not an HONOR. It's just a job WELL DONE. The judges score performance, not the 'seniority'.

Exactly...And for those who don't know, Mikhail isn't some young kid who should be expected to yield to the likes of Boyang or Shoma. He's 21, a few months older than Kovtun. He just was unfortunate enough to lose a lot of time due to injury (kind of like Josh Farris).

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Exactly...And for those who don't know, Mikhail isn't some young kid who should be expected to yield to the likes of Boyang or Shoma. He's 21, a few months older than Kovtun. He just was unfortunate enough to lose a lot of time due to injury (kind of like Josh Farris).

those kind of comments were kind of bothering me too actually, i am like " he is new to the seniors but he is the same age as Maxim, Yuzuru, Jason, Josh " :biggrin: and he was awesome!! skating from 1st group in SP to last group in LP! Well done Quirky Prince! :love:

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is anyone watching the practices? Are the ladies practicing now?

fjn219

Spectator
It is beyond me that Shamo's PCS was SIX points higher than Jin Boyang's! I am not trashing Shamo, I am just saying the judges are SHAMELESS!

Last edited:

Pamigena

Record Breaker
-We also decided that if someone ever makes a move about Yuzuru, this needs to be the slogan on the poster:
"He fell from heaven
And into an ice rink."
If you ever decide to make a move on Yuzuru, pretty please, don't go with "Hey angel, did it hurt when you fell from heaven?" :biggrin:

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I am not backing up judges, as I don't agree to what they generally do, but if I compare the 2 kids, Jin and Shoma, I think both are great, but on the PCS side, Shoma has that melting/soft knees that is more linked to the size and body type, not only the raw talent. Shoma has steps into and off jumps that Jin doesn't do as well. It is true I don't even think to ask him to do many steps/spread eagle before his out of the world 4Lz. So, I'd give better PCS to Shoma, but not too much. I wouldn't lower his PCS, but I would give Jin better marks. He has improved so much in presentation.