2016 Worlds Gala Exhibition - April 3 | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2016 Worlds Gala Exhibition - April 3

sarama

Medalist
no quad battle?? i am disappointed :sad21:

That was weird I mean you had Javi, Juzuru, Boyang and Sui/Han....and even Evgenia enjoys the post gala fun (I remember her doing a Biellmann show off with Miroshkin at JWC last year)... Maybe the organizers forbid them for whatever reason

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
That was weird I mean you had Javi, Juzuru, Boyang and Sui/Han....and even Evgenia enjoys the post gala fun (I remember her doing a Biellmann show off with Miroshkin at JWC last year)... Maybe the organizers forbid them for whatever reason

i know the reason, Kaitlyn wasnt there to push Yuzuru to start one :cry:

Giselle

Medalist

It honestly felt like a very "rushed" Gala with every second planned. No Gold medalist had a second number

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
No quad battle which was disappointing but the final group number was cute and I got to high five all the skaters as they were taking their final lap :)

sarama

Medalist
Are encores only done in Japan? I can't remember seeing any other place...

I definitely remember skaters doing them in Russia as well in at least one occasion (I'll never forget Tessa Virtue doing Carmen in her white ex dress for 'I wanna hold your hand')

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
My husband commandeered the laptop when the exhibition started so I found myself taking notes. Just like the old days! I'll share some of my thoughts.

Opening number: DROPKICK MURPHYS!!! They're skating to the freaking DROPKICK MURPHYS!!!! Day. Made. I was worried at this point that the rest of the gala would be anti-climactic, because...Dropkick Murphys at the Worlds, guys. This great-granddaughter of Kate Murphy approves. Seriously, that number was so energetic and so fun. Great job.

Alexa and Chris did well (despite the fall). I spent their program thinking that their music would be great for a highlights montage...hint, hint.

Anna P's skate was beautiful and emotional, but I was perplexed by her half-labcoat of a dress. If anyone knows the thinking behind that dress, please share. Thanks.

Adam: my notes read "in progress...grrrr...hate coldplay...nice choreo...music soooooo monotonous...zzzz" Sorry, Adam.

Gracie: painfully poignant song choice. If she'd chosen to skate to Liza Minelli's recording we'd all have been sobbing into our beverages.

St/Kl: well-skated apart from the SBS jumps. Getting real sick of Adele, people...

Fortunately, Boyang Jin was there to wake us all up. Hefty bag Hammer pants! It was great music for the attempted jumping clinic. He has great energy. It was a cute skate! I look forward to watching him develop into a more mature skater.

C/B & Beyoncé: I felt like I was intruding into something private, like maybe they should get a room. If that was what they were aiming for, goal achieved! Madi must have gotten cold with all that on-ice writhing. It just seemed to go on forever...maybe I just wanted the Beyoncé to stop.

Sotoko was nice, but felt generic. I missed Sui and Han.

And then there was Patrick Chan. Folks, I'm one of those for whom Chan never came through the TV. I could see the difficulty of what he did, but didn't really feel his skating. Until today. That skate took my breath away. The little choreographic touches really made the program for me. My notes specify the spin on the lyric "look around, round, round...." and the rise and fall of his arms on the line "black bird fly...". It was just gorgeous.

We ended the first half by going to a Camp Granada slumber party with Cappelini and Lanotte, complete with jammies, a blanky, a teddy bear and a pillow fight. I love that they don't take themselves too seriously and let themselves have fun with their exhibitions. Nice blanket work near the end.

Max. Thunderstruck. My notes read "Point-ography! Fist-ography! Bang your head! Skate with more energy if you're gonna skate to AC/DC! That guitar track BEGS for lightning-fast footwork." Commentary points to Ryan Bradley for "that is quite a pair of jeans" - lol!

MAO! Nice to see her smiling and having fun. Great choreo for an exhibition number.

Kolyada - the new kid on the block did really well! So there was a bit of point-ography, but he feels his music, engages the crowd and has the jumps. I see a bright future for this kid.

S/M: I love their connection. They're only going to get better from here, my friends. The pairs competition in 2018 is going to be epic.

Ashley and the Shibs each got a one-word review. "Gorgeous" and "mesmerizing", respectively.

Hanyu had a lovely skate but I spent too much of it wondering what happened to the cat who shredded the top of his costume.

D/R did a great job despite the chair dancing. "Billie Joel" made me laugh, despite my loathing of "Piano Man". While everything comes to a grinding halt while they set up the throw, I loved her position on the spin.

The Bear had a very pretty skate. Nice cover of "You Raise Me Up".

P/C's unexpected music choice had me giggling but they sure sold me on it. I love this team.

"Danny Boy" is not one of my favorite songs, but it made a nice ending to a show that began with "Shipping off to Boston". Way to play to the Irish-American community in Boston. I approve. What was unexpected was the emotional, mature, gorgeous skate from Javi.

All in all it was a great show! I sincerely envy those of you who got to see it in person.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Are encores only done in Japan? I can't remember seeing any other place...

It honestly felt like a very "rushed" Gala with every second planned. No Gold medalist had a second number

I'm not sure about the second number, but I also had that feel of urgency about the thing. No quad challenge ads to the 'rushed' factor...
Anyway, it was fantastic Worlds, credit to everyone involved in the organisation of it. :thank:
I always find gala really emotional. It's a bit like seeing your kids/partner/best mates doing something great and you're in the audience so proud and moved to tears. Don't want to sound dramatic, but that's how I feel. It's probably the desperate 'don't want this to end' feeling...
I love Javi, Meagan & Eric, and I love the songs they've chosen for their respective ex number, but I really thought they'd been better of with their previous gala shows. :roll5:
Doesn't matter, Ksenia & Fedor are back and Fedor Klimov is the cutest and hottest guy on the planet. Sorry, raw emotions speaking :love::yahoo:
Btw, not inviting Weaver/Poje is a bit off. Even if they're no longer number one in the World, they are marvellous and they should have been there.

Last edited:

yuki

Final Flight
Anna P's skate was beautiful and emotional, but I was perplexed by her half-labcoat of a dress. If anyone knows the thinking behind that dress, please share. Thanks.

She's skating to Alfred Schnittke's Tango in a Madhouse. I'm assuming the dress is intended to be half straitjacket, half tango dress.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
My husband commandeered the laptop when the exhibition started so I found myself taking notes. Just like the old days! I'll share some of my thoughts.

Opening number: DROPKICK MURPHYS!!! They're skating to the freaking DROPKICK MURPHYS!!!! Day. Made. I was worried at this point that the rest of the gala would be anti-climactic, because...Dropkick Murphys at the Worlds, guys. This great-granddaughter of Kate Murphy approves. Seriously, that number was so energetic and so fun. Great job.

Alexa and Chris did well (despite the fall). I spent their program thinking that their music would be great for a highlights montage...hint, hint.

Adam: my notes read "in progress...grrrr...hate coldplay...nice choreo...music soooooo monotonous...zzzz" Sorry, Adam.

Gracie: painfully poignant song choice. If she'd chosen to skate to Liza Minelli's recording we'd all have been sobbing into our beverages.

St/Kl: well-skated apart from the SBS jumps. Getting real sick of Adele, people...

Fortunately, Boyang Jin was there to wake us all up. Hefty bag Hammer pants! It was great music for the attempted jumping clinic. He has great energy. It was a cute skate! I look forward to watching him develop into a more mature skater.

C/B & Beyoncé: I felt like I was intruding into something private, like maybe they should get a room. If that was what they were aiming for, goal achieved! Madi must have gotten cold with all that on-ice writhing. It just seemed to go on forever...maybe I just wanted the Beyoncé to stop.

Sotoko was nice, but felt generic. I missed Sui and Han.

And then there was Patrick Chan. Folks, I'm one of those for whom Chan never came through the TV. I could see the difficulty of what he did, but didn't really feel his skating. Until today. That skate took my breath away. The little choreographic touches really made the program for me. My notes specify the spin on the lyric "look around, round, round...." and the rise and fall of his arms on the line "black bird fly...". It was just gorgeous.

We ended the first half by going to a Camp Granada slumber party with Cappelini and Lanotte, complete with jammies, a blanky, a teddy bear and a pillow fight. I love that they don't take themselves too seriously and let themselves have fun with their exhibitions. Nice blanket work near the end.

Max. Thunderstruck. My notes read "Point-ography! Fist-ography! Bang your head! Skate with more energy if you're gonna skate to AC/DC! That guitar track BEGS for lightning-fast footwork." Commentary points to Ryan Bradley for "that is quite a pair of jeans" - lol!

MAO! Nice to see her smiling and having fun. Great choreo for an exhibition number.

Kolyada - the new kid on the block did really well! So there was a bit of point-ography, but he feels his music, engages the crowd and has the jumps. I see a bright future for this kid.

S/M: I love their connection. They're only going to get better from here, my friends. The pairs competition in 2018 is going to be epic.

Ashley and the Shibs each got a one-word review. "Gorgeous" and "mesmerizing", respectively.

Hanyu had a lovely skate but I spent too much of it wondering what happened to the cat who shredded the top of his costume.

D/R did a great job despite the chair dancing. "Billie Joel" made me laugh, despite my loathing of "Piano Man". While everything comes to a grinding halt while they set up the throw, I loved her position on the spin.

The Bear had a very pretty skate. Nice cover of "You Raise Me Up".

P/C's unexpected music choice had me giggling but they sure sold me on it. I love this team.

"Danny Boy" is not one of my favorite songs, but it made a nice ending to a show that began with "Shipping off to Boston". Way to play to the Irish-American community in Boston. I approve. What was unexpected was the emotional, mature, gorgeous skate from Javi.

All in all it was a great show! I sincerely envy those of you who got to see it in person.

Yuzu's costume and whole exhibition is a remembrance of the 2011 earthquake and tsunami victims, a massive disaster which he managed to survive. The costume represents sea-things and debris. Does there need to be an announcement made about this??

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Yuzu's costume and whole exhibition is a remembrance of the 2011 earthquake and tsunami victims, a massive disaster which he managed to survive. The costume represents sea-things and debris. Does there need to be an announcement made about this??

Thanks for the info. I normally skip the exhibitions so I didn't know the story behind the program.