2016 Worlds Gala Exhibition - April 3 | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2016 Worlds Gala Exhibition - April 3

yyyskate

Record Breaker
glad you liked it! i think you didnt enjoy it as much because of his "posture" earlier in the season :biggrin:

yes yes, that is me. his posture problem is still there, he also looked extremely funny and cute and goofy with that hunch back during group dance.
but I saw RAW emotion. 200% involved..... I will write more about Yuzuru when I got time, Yuzuru is a funny guy.:biggrin:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Can someone make a list of the videos available? Usually Mao 88 does amazing work and every skate is covered with various links and copies. She is amazing. Where are you Mao 88. Everyone misses you. Maybe she has a heavy work schedule and didn't get to watch Worlds.

We have two threads for competition but not gala skate. Maybe someone has time to do it. Neither my computer nor iPad can ever follow these streams. So aggravating. YouTube is the best I do. Daily motion loads and reloads. It's really crazy practically dem oh never mind.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Can someone make a list of the videos available? Usually Mao 88 does amazing work and every skate is covered with various links and copies. She is amazing. Where are you Mao 88. Everyone misses you. ...

I for one am very appreciative to other amazing GS members :bow: who have quickly and systematically posted thorough lists of video links for Boston Worlds and other comps.

We are lucky to have their ongoing contributions, as well as so many past links from the amazing Mao :bow:. Thanks to all.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
message for Karne do you like Max because he looks good in jeans with a too short tshirt ;) YUM :)

chloepoco

Medalist
C/B & Beyoncé: I felt like I was intruding into something private, like maybe they should get a room. If that was what they were aiming for, goal achieved! Madi must have gotten cold with all that on-ice writhing. It just seemed to go on forever...maybe I just wanted the Beyoncé to stop.

LOL! I was wondering if I was the only one who thought that! Definitely a little too much writhing going on for me!

Last edited:

narcissa

Record Breaker
Can't believe Gracie fell in her exhibition too...this competition just didn't go well for her :scratch2:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can't believe Gracie fell in her exhibition too...this competition just didn't go well for her :scratch2:

She only fell because she tried to do a triple lutz. Had she just done a 3T she would have been clean. It's no big deal. I really liked her exhibition. Hers and Boyang's were the only ones I watched twice.

narcissa

Record Breaker
lol it's just weird she can't land her jumps even though she never makes mistakes in practice
even on the lutz

alia jackson

Record Breaker
but I saw RAW emotion. 200% involved..... I will write more about Yuzuru when I got time, Yuzuru is a funny guy.:biggrin:

I found this fancam, dancy Yuzu from 0:20-1:40 :dance3:

The part starting from 0:58 after that move didn't realised Yuzu can shake his shoulders like that, and that head snap at 1:07 :laugh:

....I replayed other shoulders shaker are Max :agree:.......and Boyang :laugh2:

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Favorite exhibition programs - we were there! - Cappelinni & Lanotte's "Dance of the Hours"
Meagan & Eric's "Piano Man"
Mao's "Puttin' on the Ritz"

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Watched the Gala on Monday and, on the whole, I have to say I found it disappointing compared to some of the galas we had earlier in the season.

Don't worry, I'm not going to bore you by going through what I liked and what I didn't.

But, I just wanted to highlight a few things.

Firstly, I enjoyed the opening number. BUT, it would have been nice if somebody (either in commentary or some on-screen graphics) had told us who they were! I recognised a few faces, but I couldn’t put a name to any of them.

The Finale, on the other hand, was a real anti-climax. The group photo was a nice touch, though.

When it came to the special introductions, I'm with Nicky. I too got the vibe that this was a goodbye performance when Meagan and Eric were introducing Patrick. And even more so when Adam was introducing Ashley. (Both were lovely tributes, by the way).

A lot of people were getting the same vibe after Song Nan did his FS at Four Continents. So, we were not surprised when he announced his retirement last week.

If this is what Patrick and Ashley are planning, I hope they don’t drag it out for long.

As a lot of people have been complaining about, Eurosport overestimated the length of the interval, and came back late. Thankfully, they did re-wind the tape so that we could see all of Max Aaron’s routine. But, to catch up, they cut out Yuzuru introducing Mao. :bang:

I’ve since watched the video of the Taiwanese coverage of it, and I have to say that whereas I got the “goodbye” vibe from the other special introductions, I did not get it from this one.

But, maybe that is because Mao is my Queen and I don’t want to even entertain the idea of her retiring!

You know, I was half expecting Stolbova and Klimov to do their “Memories Of Sochi” routine. I do like the routine, but this is the third season they have been using it (albeit not continuously). So, I was relieved when we got a different routine. Although I am not a big fan of “Hello” (it is probably my least favourite Adele song), it really suited them well.

On the other hand, I was really disappointed that Javi did not do his “Aerobics Class” routine. Yes, he too has been using it for 3 seasons. But it is so much fun, and the fans love it! As do I!

But, I wasn’t fussed on the routine he did do. And I will now explain why.

Whenever there are threads asking what music you would like to see somebody skate to, I always end up suggesting the same pieces, because I really like them. And one of those pieces I always suggest is Joseph Haydn's “Österreich”. But, I nearly always add that it might seem odd for somebody to skate to a piece that is currently used as a National Anthem (in this case, by Germany).

Well, not many of you will realise this, but that is what Javi did.

“Danny Boy” is used as the National Anthem of Northern Ireland. The music it is set to, the “Londonderry Air”, is local in origin. Admittedly, the poem itself was written by an Englishman. But that is just a minor detail. ;)

It's not official (hey, even our flag isn't official any more! :rolleye: ), but “Danny Boy” is what gets played whenever any of our athletes win something at the Commonwealth Games (e.g. here). Just like “O Flower Of Scotland” is used for Scottish athletes; “Jerusalem” is used for English athletes; and “Land Of My Fathers” is used for Welsh athletes.

Now, I have to admit, I don't particularly like the song. It's just too dreary and depressing! National Anthems are supposed to be rousing (e.g. this one)*, and “Danny Boy” is anything but that! Nevertheless, it did feel strange to see somebody skating to what is my National Anthem.

Oh, and for those that thought the music sounded a lot like the music used in Zhenya’s routine, there is a reason for that.

“You Raise Me Up” is actually designed to remind you of the “Londonderry Air”, because the writer liked the tune ( :rolleye: ). Although the writer is Norwegian, he went as far as to get Belfast singer Brian Kennedy to join his band (Secret Garden) so that the original version of the song would sound right. (Incidentally, Brian also famously sung it at the funeral of our most famous footballer, George Best).

Sorry for going off topic, but I thought you might find those insights interesting.

By the way, does anybody know who was singing the version that Zhenya used? There have been so many cover versions of the song over the years that it is next to impossible to keep track of them all! :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

* Yes, I did pick that particular video of that particular anthem because there were a couple of very familiar faces shown on camera during it! ;) :biggrin: