2017-2018 Programs by Discipline | Page 30 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Programs by Discipline

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
And the one you didn't list....it's a way for skaters/coaches/choreographers to get around copyright...if they use the original then they run the risk.

The copyright issue was alluded to in #1 and #2:

1. More affordable: All recorded songs are covered by copyright, but it often is less expensive to use a cover by an unknown artist than the high-profile original.

2. Watchable on Youtube: Depending on the terms of the copyright, a skater might be allowed to use a version of a song in live performance but not be able to post it online for wide access. A cover version is usually less restrictive and/or less costly for online sharing.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
The copyright issue was alluded to in #1 and #2:

1. More affordable: All recorded songs are covered by copyright, but it often is less expensive to use a cover by an unknown artist than the high-profile original.

2. Watchable on Youtube: Depending on the terms of the copyright, a skater might be allowed to use a version of a song in live performance but not be able to post it online for wide access. A cover version is usually less restrictive and/or less costly for online sharing.

Not sure where you're getting your information from, but even if skaters had to license a work directly from a copyright owner, which I'm pretty sure they do not in most cases, the terms would not necessarily be cheaper for a cover recording. For example, Whitney Houston's recording of "I will
Always Love You" was a cover of a Dolly Parton song, but would not necessarily be cheaper to license than the Dolly Parton version.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "depending on the terms of the copyright"? Did you mean license? In the US, the same copyright law controls all works.

Finally, I'm pretty sure the majority of competition clips on YouTube weren't put there by skaters, but by other people, so I'm not sure there's a copyright issue for the skater.

bevybean

On the Ice
Not sure where you're getting your information from, but even if skaters had to license a work directly from a copyright owner, which I'm pretty sure they do not in most cases,

If you aren't making money from the use of the song, you don't need to pay copyright. Which is why NBC probably need to pay for it to televise the competitions, but the skaters themselves don't.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
If you aren't making money from the use of the song, you don't need to pay copyright. Which is why NBC probably need to pay for it to televise the competitions, but the skaters themselves don't.

Hi - I don't want to derail the thread further but yes NBC needs a license to use copyrighted music in its broadcasts. Since NBC's broadcasts are also copyrighted, someone posting clips from the broadcasts may be infringing NBC's copyright, and if they are monetizing their channels are probably engaging in commercial use. As to fair use, it's a complicated subject, and I wouldn't assume that if someone is not making money a license is unnecessary.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States

This is incorrect. People are allowed in most cases to download/copy a song for private personal use, but NOT allowed to use that song for public use (whether or not money is involved) without getting permission from the owner of the copyright. This is why various political candidates so frequently get "cease & desist" orders when they use certain songs at campaign rallies without permission. It's usually an issue of artists wanting to control who uses the song & not wanting to be affiliated with a person/cause that they don't support.

It often is not an issue of payment; artists often will allow use without charge if they support the person/cause. Or if they think it will be good publicity for an upcoming concert or CD. But in some cases. it IS an issue of money. Really, if your business is selling cupcakes, would you want people to be able to just walk off with a couple without paying?

Yes, at local competitions skaters often will use copyrighted music without permission. It's unlikely that a copyright owner would bother them about low-visibility use, but there would be limits as to online posting of a video that includes the music.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Seems like Benoit Richaud is keeping very busy this season.

Nika09

On the Ice
Good, good music choices for Jun Hwan Cha! I like the SP music idea even more. Which choreographer is he gonna work with, D.Wilson or J.Buttle? Anyway it's gonna be exciting.
But I hope he could perform little less intense, even though it's pretty difficult season to making senior debut for all of them indeed.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Joshua Farris

Short Program: “Give Me Love” by Ed Sheeran
Free Program: “Pines of Rome” by Ottorino Respighi
Choreographer: Jeffrey Buttle

Source

I am excited by Josh...and Jeff. I am not a fan of repeat programs, but his Give me love is ridiculously charming, that has the 'love actually' repeat viewing factor.
Good luck Josh!! I hope they manage to tweak and improve on it some how.

Pines of Rome can be wholly unpredictable and surprising. Will they follow the fanfare parts, or the solemn part, or will it be a whole epic consist of various chapters in an over reaching arch?

Misha Ge's choreography work list has been updated. He is a busy man!

http://www.mishage.com/works/

Good Grief... happy for him yet also a bit worried at the same time. Quanity does not always lead to quality.

Hope he some how separate his choreography work from each other. I noticed he is doing one for Karen... please let it be original and artistic and not all looking the same. The thought of Karen Chen program looking like a Maxim Kovtun program scares me.

sunnyouyang

Rinkside
Hope he some how separate his choreography work from each other. I noticed he is doing one for Karen... please let it be original and artistic and not all looking the same. The thought of Karen Chen program looking like a Maxim Kovtun program scares me.

Karen has already performed the program Misha choreographed for her during Stars on Ice. It's an exhibition program set to Rise by Katy Perry. See it here.

bevybean

On the Ice
This is incorrect. People are allowed in most cases to download/copy a song for private personal use, but NOT allowed to use that song for public use (whether or not money is involved) without getting permission from the owner of the copyright. This is why various political candidates so frequently get "cease & desist" orders when they use certain songs at campaign rallies without permission. It's usually an issue of artists wanting to control who uses the song & not wanting to be affiliated with a person/cause that they don't support.

It often is not an issue of payment; artists often will allow use without charge if they support the person/cause. Or if they think it will be good publicity for an upcoming concert or CD. But in some cases. it IS an issue of money. Really, if your business is selling cupcakes, would you want people to be able to just walk off with a couple without paying?

Yes, at local competitions skaters often will use copyrighted music without permission. It's unlikely that a copyright owner would bother them about low-visibility use, but there would be limits as to online posting of a video that includes the music.

I stand corrected. (I asked someone who knows copyright laws better than I do after posting this and he said basically the same as what you posted.) Thank you for clarifying.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Madison in her blog revealed that H/D's SD music is Talya Ferro - Cuando "Calienta el Sol" and Guem - "Le Serpent". I am living for these choices, especially Cuando Calienta el Sol.

hello:), thanks a lot for posting this.

wow, it really looks like Madison and Zach's package will be fresh, exciting and so fitting to them - a dream for Olympic season! This SD choices are something new and quite reflecting on their style/personality/energy presented I think, after first listening - I can easily portray them doing a program to those songs and being 'them' in it.

Cannot wait to see their programs!

Tutto

Record Breaker
I wish Shoma would go back to his Beethoven's Kreutzer Sonata, instead of beaten to death Turandot, and made it a long program - wishful thinking I know ...sigh...

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Denney/Frazier LP: "Who Wants to Live Forever" Queen.