2017 Europeans Ladies SP | Page 36 | Golden Skate

2017 Europeans Ladies SP

Rissa

Record Breaker
Anna just said how happy she is to finally receive such a big bear. That may have been a mistake to say it. Anna, expect some HUUUGE bears coming your way in the next events. :devil:

I'm bemoaning the fact that I'll be travelling with hand luggage only. :laugh:

Rissa

Record Breaker
Carolina's new SP is one of the weirdest programs I've ever seen, but I totally dig it. :cool: Laurine's SP was lovely but she direly needs a new dress. Evgenia was...well, Evgenia. I never realized how fantastic her transitions were until this particular watching, for some reason. Anna was poised and fiery and explosive and skated like a champion. Maria's program didn't come up in the YouTube "recommended" bar and I was too lazy to go find it :slink:.

So do I. It's the first time I saw it and I'm in love; I adore unorthodox. IMO Caro should have bern higher on PCS. I'm a card-carrying Anna fan but Caro's SP just might have topped hers in my heart. That spin with one black-sleeved arm up was spectacular, it's the first time I've seen a costume used to this effect, and it fitted the bizarre music style superbly. :love:

I also loved Laurine, and I thought her costume was great, actually. Can anyone tell me if Laurine is on the Worlds team?

Seconded on Maria: not paricularly engaging.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I am surprised to see such a strong comeback from Caro, at the age of almost 30.(also surprised at her winkles too: 29 is old for figure skating but young as a lady)

I think there difference between her and Mao is she had good jumping technique from the very beginning while Mao had to relearn her jumps. Caro's largest challenge is her stamina, and lower base value if she wants to be on the Worlds or Olympic podium. In her absence, so many talented Russians have filled in. I expect her to make several mistakes in the LP with more jumping passes. But overall, so much better than Mao's comeback and I am not disappointed.

LadyB

Record Breaker
The more I see of her, the more I love Anna Pogo. Having said that, I still think Evgenia is something out of this world...and Masha has still the nicest dress. Yes, I enjoyed that. :party2:

Khoai

Match Penalty
I am surprised to see such a strong comeback from Caro, at the age of almost 30.(also surprised at her winkles too: 29 is old for figure skating but young as a lady)

I think there difference between her and Mao is she had good jumping technique from the very beginning while Mao had to relearn her jumps. Caro's largest challenge is her stamina, and lower base value if she wants to be on the Worlds or Olympic podium. In her absence, so many talented Russians have filled in. I expect her to make several mistakes in the LP with more jumping passes. But overall, so much better than Mao's comeback and I am not disappointed.
Miss Asada did have a somewhat good SP at Cup of China last season, then she started crumbling in the LP. Miss Kostner hasn't skated clean her LP yet. I do hope she can medal but I don't think her stamina is enough for a good skate in the LP.
Russian sweep is inevitable.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Laurine's fluffy ending reminds me so much of Serafima's program, even the facial expressions are so similar. She has great speed and ss. Hope she gets better consistency.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I also loved Laurine, and I thought her costume was great, actually. Can anyone tell me if Laurine is on the Worlds team?

I hope so! Laurine is the French champ this year, and has been more consistent this season than Meite, who is her only competition for that single spot.

rosy14

Final Flight
I think anybody would look juniorish compared to them! ;) :laugh:

To be honest, I preferred Maria last season.

Not that I'm saying I don't like her any more. I just preferred the routines she was using last season to the ones she is using this season.

CaroLiza_fan

Apparently they were programmes prepared for Adelna, at least the SP.

rosy14

Final Flight
Frankly the one at disadvantage in this is Anna. She was clean and they scored Carolina and Sotskova who both UR close to her.

Well, actually the 3 T in Anna's combo was not 100% rotated. But we are lucky Shimanu is not European:))

Meoima

Match Penalty
Well, actually the 3 T in Anna's combo was not 100% rotated. But we are lucky Shimanu is not European:))
It's borderline and still could be accepted by many tech panel. Sotskova and Carolina's UR were kind of obvious.

rosy14

Final Flight
Their BV for their LP program is also lower so they need Medvedeva to mess up to catch her. But then nothing is impossible.

Italian Eurosport coomentators said they are planning to change Xhenia's LP, backloading all the jumps.

rosy14

Final Flight
Okay - getting ready for tomatoes..... I thought Carolina's program would have suited her well (other than the wretched music) three years ago. I think the sport has moved on. I thought her choreography was simple and non-demanding and that there was nothing new or exciting about her skating. I will be surprised if she medals at this competition. Medvedeva looked her usual wonderful self but I dread her freeskate. Hate the music and what's been done with it. Poor taste. Poor Choice. Too soon for those of us that were affected by 9/11.

The skater that I really liked was the French girl (can't remember her name) - not Mayte Berniece.

She's called Lauri e Lecavalier.
As for Caro: no one expects her on the podium. We'll be happy for a 4th place. And yes, the choreo, by Nichol, is not so innovative, in fact it is a programme she had for an exhibition years ago. Bu the music is not the usual piece of cake, and better to start again with a known piece. Simpler ? Yes, but effective. For complexity we get Xhenia.

randomfan

Record Breaker
Lots of lovely skating, lots of hilarious judging. I guess these days that's your typical competition, right?

1. Evgenia Medvedeva: Literally what I said above...:(
2. Anna Pogorilaya: It's so great to see Anna with her newfound consistency. Her SP is good and she delivered it well every time this season. And it's clear that she's much more confident which is also wonderful to watch. :cheer:
3. Carolina Kostner: Overscored, but very good. She's much older than the others but still has amazing skating skills (except speed sadly) and great artistry. It'll be interesting to see how she is scored in the FS compared to the Russians.
4. Maria Sotskova: Other than the 3Lz, jumps looked much better today. Again, she was overscored but still nice to watch. With her and Carolina being so close, it'll come down to Maria's TES vs. Carolina's PCS.
5. Laurine Lecavalier: My favourite performance! I love this program and to see her upgrade her tech content while still performing well is a great improvement. PCS should've been way higher though...

Haven't watched the others yet so I'll do that now.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Only watched the top 5 so far and: :love::love: Anna!!! :love::love:
This is the best she skated that SP all season, and that means something, because she skated it great already! So much speed, power, passion, presence... I just love everything about that skate. Doing that despite that knee problem still hanging over her is so impressive. I'm just reminded again and again how far she's come, overall and especially from last season, I can't stop being excited about it. Hopefully she also slays in the LP!

Evgenia skated beautifully, and I see why she is in first (though I like Anna more), but I think her difference to Anna is too high. On the other side, I think Maria and Caro are too close to her, especially given their overlooked URs. If we keep Evgenia 78+ and Maria & Caro 72+, IMO, Anna should be around 76. But what else is new...

Caro is still a bit rusty and her jumps looked tight, but I'm really glad to have her back. She just brings something totally different from the other top ladies to the ice, and it's always nice to have diversity. I also love the weird program, way to play to her strengths.
And I agree with those who said Laurine was underscored... she skated really beautifully, and she was up there in difficulty in technical elements. Would have had her around 67 something :yes:

Sums it up!:thumbsup:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was sad to see Angelina struggle. Her basic skating and overall movements were looking really strong. I hope she has an amazing Friday and can make up a few a few places in the free skate program. Good luck!! :cheer:

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
Sad I'm not gonna get to watch this comp live, but I just wanted to pop in to say YAY ANNE LINE!!! YOU QUALIFIED! :cheer: Also great to see Caro with such a high score.

Any other standouts I should watch?