2017 Europeans Pairs SP | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2017 Europeans Pairs SP

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Oh yeah. I know. Sorry. But why didn't Aljona get this feature although she got it last year? The twist is the same.

No reason to apologize! I was just posting it for clarification!

And to answer your question, because each skate is different and each judging panel is different. Just because a skater does the same number of rotations in a twist doesn't mean they're meeting all the same features each time.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Missed the event live but I'm so happy for James/Cipres :cheer: I hope S/M and S/K can climb the ranks in the FS as well.

atsumiri

Record Breaker
I read on twitter.
TAT asked them about it .... they're going for big GOE not levels...
i think they prefer WOW effect for high. but couldn't do the same with difficult steps or the split.

Kittosuni

Medalist
Makes sense. I watched in slow-mo and Aliona's left leg is no where near 45 degrees. :think: Might need to work on that stretching.
Actually they are only planning level3. Steps, hands down and clear catch. That split is always a hit or miss to most pairs depending whose the caller. Im really wondering why not a lot of pairs are going for the tano though. I think its only Sui/Hancare attempting this.

Rissa

Record Breaker
Cheers to the czech audience! While the rows were rather empty for the ladies they seem to prefer the pairs discipline and the cheers were loud and uplifting. I take my criticism about the KnC pic and say that I like this arena more than the one for GPF in Marseille. This is what an engaging and supporting crowd (for every nation, pair) should look like. Well done!

I don't think the audience preference for Pairs was the reason why Ladies SP was so emoty. It's simply that Wednsday early afternoon is not the best of times to fill the stands. Work or school stand in the way.

QuadThrow

Medalist
I read on twitter.
TAT asked them about it .... they're going for big GOE not levels...
i think they prefer WOW effect for high. but couldn't do the same with difficult steps or the split.

Aljona mentioned that they worked on the twist and they are going for level 4. No result today. Last year the got at leat level 3 with the same wow effect.

I think both seem strong enough to do steps and split and keeping the wow effect.

bobbob

Medalist
T/M were wonderful, but I think their PCS particularly CH/CO, IN, TR should have been considerably lower that S/M and S/K.

Everyone was great, but there clearly is massive score inflation each year. Last yr, 74 would almost certainly indicate a clean program, not one with a fall, time violation or throw double jump. 80.8 was the same score S/H's program at Worlds got... Even their scores seem to say so, I don't consider Tarasova and Morosov to be one of the top teams in terms of program components.

Anyways James and Cipres were the skate of the night for me. They were overscored too though, everyone should be probably 3-5 points lower.

Last edited:

QuadThrow

Medalist
T/M were wonderful, but I think their PCS particularly CH/CO, IN, TR should have been considerably lower that S/M and S/K.

Everyone was great, but there clearly is massive score inflation each year. Last yr, 74 would almost certainly indicate a clean program, not one with a fall, time violation or throw double jump. 80.8 was the same score S/H's program at Worlds got... Even their scores seem to say so, I don't consider Tarasova and Morosov to be one of the top teams in terms of program components.

Anyways James and Cipres were the skate of the night for me. They were overscored too though, everyone should be probably 3-5 points lower.

I agree the T/M's PCS were too high.

But do not forget that the overall BV inceased by one point to last year because of required elements. So last year it would have been 79.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Such a shame the fall on the throw lutz on S/K's SP.

They are by far my favourites in pairs, and this program is so beautiful to watch: so classical and yet still breathtaking.

tulosai

Record Breaker
They fell like 3 times in the free. There's another K&C where he's the drama queen and walks out before getting their scores while Vanessa is crying but I forget which competition. They are certainly one entertaining team!

Yeah actually these two and all their KnC drama just makes me like them more, because despite the fact that they clearly don't always see eye to eye they keep on persevering in the name of the sport they both love, and I actually think there's something really commendable and relatable in that. So many teams that have drama or don't get along just split up, but they've kept going and working through it and I admire that and wish more teams would follow their example (perhaps minus storming out of KnC...)

whatif

Medalist
I am thinking TAT is finally losing it. During M/H skate, she said that Valentina might be having an orgasm during one of the lifts as she closed her eyes. Then stating that it is not uncommon as she have seen it many times actually happen to some of her skaters she used to train. :palmf:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That was an enjoyable last couple of groups. I really enjoyed Marchei/Hotarek. Also Tarasova/Morozov: I think this SP shows more of their personalities than any other program I've seen them skate. Gorgeous costumes, too. About Stolbova/Klimov, I'm probably in the minority, but I like their classical programs, especially this one to Clair de Lune, better than their edgy ones. I think I notice/follow both partners more in it because their skating is so smooth and they have synergy. I'm very fond of Fedor, even more so since I heard his commentary last fall.

The real thrill of the event for me was James/Cipres. That's such a sexy program, and they finally skated it the way they've been wanting to skate -- and we've been wanting to see it skated -- all season. Everything was just gorgeous. I love that moment when she takes the leap of faith into his arms, at top speed, or so it looks to me. Ryan Bradley said that John Zimmerman told him that if they medal here, he's going to shave his head. Knowing John, that's radical!

carmina

On the Ice
I am thinking TAT is finally losing it. During M/H skate, she said that Valentina might be having an orgasm during one of the lifts as she closed her eyes. Then stating that it is not uncommon as she have seen it many times actually happen to some of her skaters she used to train. :palmf:

What??? :scard7:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Wow, that's .... well, goodness me. :jaw: I wonder if it was when Valentina was flying, or if it was the position of his hands ....:eek::