2017 Four Continents Ladies SP | Page 39 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Ladies SP

kresslia

Medalist
Kaetlyn has the stupidest mistakes. She'll nail the 3-3 and then fall out of nowhere. :palmf::palmf:

Nice to see Gabby get some recognition.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe they are zooming to hide that no audience is in fact there watching the event. I agree the zoom is the worst.

I found the zoom annoying during the layback spins, you want to see the entire skaters body, not just their torso and head.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Just got around to watching some of the ladies and wow was it lackluster. :hopelessness: The ice has not been kind so far. :(

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Daleman and Mihara are FS-consistent. Osmond and Tursynbaeva are iffy in FS.

The FS scores for the girls this season:

Mihara - 125.92 (Nebelhorn), 123.53 (Skate America), 122.44 (Cup of China)
Tursynbaeva - 110.98 (Autumn Classic), 117.01 (Rostelecom), 119.45 (NHK)
Daleman - 115.25 (Nebelhorn), 122.14 (Skate America), 119.40 (Trophée de France)
Osmond - 122.54 (Finlandia), 132.12 (Skate Canada), 123.80 (Cup of China), 136.91 (GPF)

Seems to me that Kaetlyn's worst scores are pretty competitive with these girls and so far this season at least, she has a higher season. I'm not saying they can't beat her or pretending that scoring is consistent across all competitions or anything, but I don't think she's at a disadvantage in the free or anything like that.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
PCS judging really is just Russian roulette.
IMO it only looks that way, to people who don't know much about (the many) PCS criteria... or don't know enough about how judges see/evaluate them... or don't know enough to undertstand/see the differences between two skaters' performances... or who cherry-pick a couple of aspects as if those alone should guarantee high PCS... etc :p

Plus, this event has one of the worst camera work ever. Don't zoom in at the step sequence! Don't zoom in at choreographic highlights! Don't zoom in at all except for the beginning and the ending of a program!!!!!:hslap:
Yes, THIS ^

Those stupid closeups! And we frequently can't even see the skater's feet when they are landing a jump -_-

Why are TV directors for figure skating such CLUELESS IDIOTS?

FS is a sport (!) where points are earned according to the skaters movements of head, body, arms, legs, and especially - feet. We need to see all of those things at all times. And their speed and direction across the ice. Spins are not exempt. We need to see if they are "travelling", and their overall position, shape, extension etc.

So, closeups are useless, and 99% of the time the camera can't even keep the skater in shot anyway.
Overhead shots are similarly useless.

There also seems to be a trend in Japanese coverage to turn the brightness/contrast to the max, so that the ice becomes a featureless, pure white sheet. Anyone who's ever been to any ice rink knows this does not remotely resemble reality. IDIOTS. This robs us of all sense of speed across the ice, we can't see the traces in the ice to see how deep a skater's edges are, or how tight they are turning, or if they left a tell-tale UR "hook" shape in the ice when landing a jump, or if they are travelling during a spin... we cant see if "snow" is kicked up... etc etc -_-

Save the "arty" stuff for before and after the perfomance and replays. Not during the competition performance.

I'm guessing that if these TV directors had been in charge of the Olympics 100m final... they'd have switched to a closeup of Usain Bolt's face (or his shoes)... just as the athletes were approaching the finish line. I wonder how well that TV "artistry" would have gone down... :p Yeah, exactly - so why do they think it's OK to do the equivalent thing in FS?

Last edited:

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Some of these skating boots are downright ugly, though. Camera focusing on them is a fashion crime!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
ahhh skating fans newbies, let me give you an advice: Don't give out your heart to a skater from a small federation if she's not out of the world good. It will break your heart again and again. :sad46: Because there's no outcry when they are judged unfairly or their improvements are not aknowledged.

First, can someone explain to me how Broklee Han's superb performance (good speed, edges, and she stays in character the whole time) is a 24 in PCS, while Mirai (love her, who doesn't?) with same speed, edges, less performance gets 30?

HA! I knew I wasn't the only one! Thankyou! She and Kailani were definitely stiffed.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I've been biting my tongue so far - but man are you taking the patriotism too far. Gabby is awesome and I really like her, but by no means whatsoever does that mean Maria and Wakaba have petite jumps. How can anyone in the world come up with that? Maybe if you'd look through glasses instead of maple leaves you'd see some reality.

Wow, ...and this from you, the poster who calls out others (as per your posts), who have different opinions as being ..."blind", yet speaks of reality?

My Maple Leaf myopia is a gift, compared to having "Li'Kitsu narrow mindedness", or a lack of respect for those who offer differences in opinions, other than yours. BTW, I know a certain politician who would, ...LOVE YOU, for your inability to consider alternative views. BELIEVE ME!

Last edited:

princessalica

Final Flight
Wow. Pretty crappy competition.

Gabby: Good for holding on. She was tight throughout but managed to stay upright so kudos.

Kaetlyn: Come on! Nail the hard jumps then fall on a 2A...infuriating!

Elizabet: She was really fun but I get why the judges hold her back. She looks like she's about 12 years old. When is she going to grow? Her on ice presence and the impact of her skating is affected by her immature look on the ice.

Mai: Good job. Her team needs to be planning an overhaul of her packaging next year. Shed the juniorish look and package her like an actual senior woman and Japan will have another medal contender.

Mirai: Sucks she missed the loop. If she'd hit it she'd be a very close 3rd. She still has a shot at a medal but she'd have to hit on everything in the FS and that's a tall order for her.

Mariah: Totally backed off of that performance from the beginning. No fire, no spark. She needs to bring it in the FS.

Wakaba: Good thing Mai is going to Worlds. Wakaba should be heir apparent to Satoko but her lack of competitive focus is killing her...

Karen: Can't say I'm shocked. This is pretty much how she's skated all year except at nationals. I'm happy she was able to pull it together there and win the title, but that's only the second time in two seasons she's managed strong back-to-back skates. Winning a title doesn't magically turn you into a better competitor. She's in a major hole at this event but if she can rebound with a strong FS she can finish decently.

Mariah and Karen need to get these kinds of skates out of their system now. Scoring at this event was conservative but still, comparing their scores here to the SP at Worlds last year (and removing the other two American competitors), Mariah would be 12th and Karen would be 17th. There's no coming back from that kind of horrible start at Worlds; the field is too deep. If the US is left with only two spots next year they will likely go to Ashley and Gracie (assuming she gets back on form). Karen and Mariah will be fighting for their spot to Pyeongchang. Somebody is going to have to step up. If not here then please at Worlds.

I guess we'll see what happens in the FS.

And then there is the question of Polina. If she comes back and skates to her usual level, there is a chance that even if they get the third spot that Polina or Mirai will grab it. Or we could have someone step it up and blow us all away... but there are a handful of girls that if next year Gracie and Ashley skate to their usual level, its that third spot that is the difference between the experience Polina had in 2014 or Ashley in 2010.

tureis

On the Ice
I expect there will be expert TV broadcast for the Olympics. Given the shere scale of any Olympic Games, all of the host country's sports broadcasting teams put together would only be able to cover just a portion of the events, so they would invite broadcasting teams from all over the world to cover many of the events. That's what happens at the Summer Olympics, with most sports events outsourced to various TV channels etc which are proven experts at covering a specific sport. I would be surprised if it worked any differently at the Winter Olympics, so a team with figure skating broadcasting expertise would be brought in to cover the entire event.

About the ladies SP though - it really was an underwhelming event, especially compared to Euros. (And no, not just because of the Russians, in general.) Who would have thought that no one would break 70 points? Hopefully the girls will be more on the money for the FS. Very happy for Dabin Choi though, what a great skate on home ice! And turns out we didn't even have to wait until next season to see the first La La Land program! :laugh: Many more to come I guess, for better or worse... ;)

Actually since the highest PCS was 32, I was kind of OK with Zijun's 28, but not with Elisabeth's 29 or Mirai's 30 in comparison. PCS judging really is just Russian roulette. Get your technicals together people, that's something the judges can't overlook.

QUOTE]

Judge #6 was pretty stingy with PCS for some of the skaters - or else Elizabet and Mirai would have had higher scores!

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
It seems we found illness to be the reason for many skaters' poor performance here. Do young skaters get a lot of flu, as a skater, or as a young person? I just feel the chances for skaters having flu or other types of illness right when a competition takes place is high. Are they supposed to have at least decent immune system because they actually exercise a lot. Zijun Li also looks unwell in her practice, in addition to Karen, Wakaba, and others. If flu/cold or other illness becomes so common, I don't know what to expect.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Zijun was not as fast or energetic as Elizabet. Zijun is pretty on ice but lacks ss and speed, and the "I am going for my program" kind of spirit.

Actually since the highest PCS was 32, I was kind of OK with Zijun's 28, but not with Elisabeth's 29 or Mirai's 30 in comparison. PCS judging really is just Russian roulette. Get your technicals together people, that's something the judges can't overlook.

QUOTE]

Judge #6 was pretty stingy with PCS for some of the skaters - or else Elizabet and Mirai would have had higher scores!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It seems we found illness to be the reason for many skaters' poor performance here. Do young skaters get a lot of flu, as a skater, or as a young person? I just feel the chances for skaters having flu or other types of illness right when a competition takes place is high. Are they supposed to have at least decent immune system because they actually exercise a lot. Zijun Li also looks unwell in her practice, in addition to Karen, Wakaba, and others. If flu/cold or other illness becomes so common, I don't know what to expect.

Traveling and competition nerves, plus any over training in preparation, can all be immunity depressing stress.

Generally, young people have less immunity to colds and flu while older folks have acquired immunity for each strand of cold and flu they have ever encountered. Individual health and immunity level vary of course.

Also, it seems more people than usual have fallen sick with the flu this winter.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

I believe that Wakaba has a sore foot. I hadn't heard anything about her being sick.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Re: the new generation of Japanese ladies - while I agree Mao, Akiko and Kanako were a special trio and I loved them, I think some people's attachment to them might unconsciously stop them from liking the new generation; which I personally find equally special, in a different way. My favorites are Satoko and Wakaba and I also enjoy Marin and Yuna. I enjoy the diversity they bring on ice, they're so different. They're also friends with each other; actually Satoko and Marin are best friends. But I guess it's also up to personal taste.

Anyway Wakaba's SP is one of my favorites this season and it was really sad to see her so disappointed. I hope she and Satoko will be able to heal before Worlds and give special performances.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Osmond usually gets huge GOEs for her flutz without tanos. Does not that irk?

It's hard to tell with Kaetlyn's entrance honestly. The only thing I'm certain in saying is that she is not on an outside edge. I think the two angles demonstrate how hard it is to say anything for certain.

Kaetlyn 3z (!)
https://youtu.be/2TKgQm9ERQg

I don't mind ! being called but I'm awful lenient. I bet there are a lot of folks who would disagree. It should be noted that she only got .30 in GOE for this jump and maybe a negative GOE would be more appropriate but compared to say Zhenia's Lutz...I'd say this one is more flutzier if you will :laugh:

Last edited:

b-man

Final Flight
I don't understand and dislike that lowballing of Liz either :( Especially in SP this season that I love. Still she did really well in SP here and is in contention for 4CC championship and that's what counts first of all.

I don't know ... maybe it's something that is more visible live than on broadcast.

I would have had Osmond and Elizabet ahead of Gabby, who is nothing special.