2017 JGP Austria Mens SP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2017 JGP Austria Mens SP

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
That isn't what I said. Posters were saying L/L were a shoo-in for gold based on their scores at the JWC. What I said was the event was more competitive than they thought, because of summer competition results (Lake Placid) where the top Russians and the Americans had competed, and that Lajoie / Lagha's summer comp scores from Quebec were inflated, and yes, they were inflated.

I looked at the Quebec protocols compared to the Brisbane protocols, and the Quebec GOE (TES-BV) was 4.5 greater than the Brisbane GOE in the SD, and 4.0 greater in the FD. That difference is far greater than the value of the difference between TW4 and TW3. And the Quebec PCS was 2.35 points greater for the SD and 3.89 for the FD. While BV is based on what was technically executed, GOE and PCS are quite subjective, and you would expect a panel of home-based judges to score higher than a panel of international judges---and obviously, they did.

Meanwhile, Lewis/Bye skated quite badly, with many more mistakes than they did at Lake Placid, so their scores went way down, especially in the SD.

You can look at scores as an estimate of what a skater can do. Club competitions usually have a majority of judges from the home country, while ISU competitions like Asian Open, Lake Placid and Philadelphia Intl have international judges. IMO, ISU competitions are more reliable scorewise, so Camden Pulkinen's 195 at Skate Detroit isn't necessarily better than the upper 180s scored at the Asian Open.

When you don't have summer comp scores, which is usually the case for the Russian skaters, the only scores available are SBs or other data from the late season. But you do have to recognize that those scores aren't comparable NOW. The same was true for Lajoie / Lagha's WJC score. They were not going to skate up to a late season level in August, so that score (148.26) was unlikely. And their Quebec score (152.70) was way out of the ballpark. No wonder they were disappointed with the 138.92 they scored at Brisbane, when their expectations were geared up so high.

actually, they were simply disappointed about their twizzles mistakes... scores weren't even up and they looked sad about their skate.

I will say it one last time : skaters at that elite level already KNOW that scores are irrelevant and will vary from event to event.... they are not dumb... they weren't surely expecting to score as high as in other events... but probably had objectives about skating clean or hitting their levels... that's what they were disappointed about... they were not disappointed about not getting a score as high as their previous ones.... they know their sport better than that.
I do not buy your argument that giving higher GOE and PCS to a team at a local event is creating expectations for them... what matters is how they skate and they are aware of what they can do and cannot do.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Can't wait to see how the Russian boys and Conrad are doing. Most of all I'm looking forward to Nika Egadze, who could present a surprise as he is Team Tutberidze. Georgians do well in that group lately :agree:

TGee

Record Breaker
As a matter of fact, one cannot compare any competition to any other... especially at that level... I thought perhaps you would be more cautious with these types of predictions after saying Lajoie-Lagha were way below the Russians and the Americans last week...

And it is especially difficult to compare when looking at Juniors who are making adjustments between North American and Olympic rinks....

Even senior pairs, like Duhamel and Radford, have admitted to difficulty adjusting their programs to different sized rinks.

On the ice dance side, most of the North Americans below senior train on North American [hockey] sized rinks....Most of the competitions run on those in North America and compressing a pattern into a smaller rink is super challenging. But when they go to events outside of North America, they are pressed to get the ice coverage....

Some clubs with dedicated figure skating ice do have Olympic rinks in North America. But then the young singles skaters tend to find themselves heading into the boards in the corners when they compete on smaller rinks.

And on point for this event, Conrad Orzel is a Junior who regularly trains on an Olympic sized rink on at the York Region Skating Academy in the Toronto area. He's admitted to running out of ice at his two Canadian National Summer Series events [i.e. Minto and Thornhill] held on North American sized rinks. It's fairly clear on the video that he had to pull up going into his lutzes. He said in an interview that he was surprized to find himself at the boards at Thornhill and that he needs to put more time in at his club's alternate training rink to ensure he can get his choreo and transitions into the jump with less ice.

It would be great if he can let his programs roll out in full for the first time this season...

Both rinks at this venue are listed as 30 by 60 meters ...official Olympic sized...so Conrad should have lots of room...;)

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
And it is especially difficult to compare when looking at Juniors who are making adjustments between North American and Olympic rinks....

Even senior pairs, like Duhamel and Radford, have admitted to difficulty adjusting their programs to different sized rinks.

On the ice dance side, most of the North Americans below senior train on North American [hockey] sized rinks....Most of the competitions run on those in North America and compressing a pattern into a smaller rink is super challenging. But when they go to events outside of North America, they are pressed to get the ice coverage....

Some clubs with dedicated figure skating ice do have Olympic rinks in North America. But then the young singles skaters tend to find themselves heading into the boards in the corners when they compete on smaller rinks.

And on point for this event, Conrad Orzel is a Junior who regularly trains on an Olympic sized rink on at the York Region Skating Academy in the Toronto area. He's admitted to running out of ice at his two Canadian National Summer Series events [i.e. Minto and Thornhill] held on North American sized rinks. It's fairly clear on the video that he had to pull up going into his lutzes. He said in an interview that he was surprized to find himself at the boards at Thornhill and that he needs to put more time in at his club's alternate training rink to ensure he can get his choreo and transitions into the jump with less ice.

It would be great if he can let his programs roll out in full for the first time this season...

Both rinks at this venue are listed as 30 by 60 meters ...official Olympic sized...so Conrad should have lots of room...;)

Nam mentioned in the latest live stream that they're building an NHL-sized rink as an add on to their arena. So hopefully the guys will get to use it when they need it (like for Worlds 2020). :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
after Jo's disaster LP, i am nervous about Conrad... first year I follow JGP and I am already stressed out after 1 event LOL...

Shandy

On the Ice
Hello! I'm pretty new around here, but I've been lurking for a while and I'm excited to watch the event with you all!

Go Camden! :hap10:

Edit: Oh wow, I'm not sure how I feel about Conrad's music. That line about "sleeves stained red" with his costume seemed a little on the nose.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Good job Conrad. Love his top.

Oh, I missed the pop. :(

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
damn it

3a... superb

3l-2t.... had to do the 2t as the loop wasn't super great on landing

popped the lutz... SIGH...

TGee

Record Breaker
Well, that was a strong start for Conrad as Ted has said. He seemed to be doing well with in the larger rink....not sure why he missed the timing on the 3lz and popped it...would be great to have another angle on the video.

~58 ouch...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
gosh.. you know Conrad popped when his PCS are higher than his TES.... what a strange skate for him.... he may remain the skater with the nicest 3a throughout this event... but the rest... sigh...

tacky french lyrics... i am going to make breakfast

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Nurullah is very interesting although the music is not my thing. I guess these early skaters are nervous...

Shandy

On the Ice
Did Nurullah's music end REALLY abruptly, or was that a glitch in the stream? Either way, great job!