2017 JGP Italy Mens FS | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2017 JGP Italy Mens FS

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Dang Tomoki forgot to do two combos! He had a different layout due to adding the quad and 3A (he did neither in Latvia). I'm guessing he was to add a 3t and a 2t behind two jumps. That cost him 6.3 points. That would have been enough for silver. Oh well. He made progress from his last competition.

Last edited:

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
Congratulations to Matteo Rizzo (two great performances in this competition!) and the JGP Final qualifiers! So happy to see Andrew and Mitsuki qualify!

well done Tatsuya!! love his flow on jumps and they look so tidy (idk if that makes sense :laugh:), and for me he is the savior of junior Japanese men when it comes to spins :biggrin:

Shingo Nishiyama and Takeru Kataise are also very good, flexible spinners. My understanding is that Kazuki Hasegawa is as well. Nishiyama really needs to stabilize his jumps but we should be seeing a lot of Kataise and Hasegawa soon. :)
But I agree, Tsuboi definitely has the best spins out of the current top 5 Japanese Jr. Men.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
He didn't get 2 spots for a reason.

At his best he has the skills to win all these competitions honestly.

RusFed should have taken the risk considering Danielan is fine but nothing extraordinary right now really, and he doesn't have the 3A or a quad.

But at least now he knows that he is a contender in juniors and he can fight for something at Nationals.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We have 4 "Russians" again? Making it at least 4 in each discipline.

Andrew Torgashev was born in Florida. Last I checked that was in the US of A. If he’s Russian, I’m the czar.(ina)

Alex K. has indeed emigrated from Russia. He has improved in leaps and bounds since training with the Cains in Texas. AFAIK, he is staying and planning on representing the US in years to come. As the Lin-Manuel Miranda tune goes, Immigrants get the job done:hap10:

whatif

Medalist
Andrew Torgashev was born in Florida. Last I checked that was in the US of A. If he’s Russian, I’m the czar.(ina)

Alex K. has indeed emigrated from Russia. He has improved in leaps and bounds since training with the Cains in Texas. AFAIK, he is staying and planning on representing the US in years to come. As the Lin-Manuel Miranda tune goes, Immigrants get the job done:hap10:

But what about the WALL!!!!

Skye

On the Ice
Just caught up with the results and congrats to Matteo on a huge win at home! :hap10: Now take that mini vacation you sorely deserve! :cool14:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
aww yes Matteo, that was awesome!!! he looked so confident and in control, so happy for him, great ending to JGP :yahoo::love: if only he performed little better last week :sad21: but considering how much he competed in short amount of time and what he achieved he did great, well done :party2:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm just waiting for Torgashev to finally skate like he can but he's a bit of a headcase when it comes to the jumps if he puts it all together he has everything really. But i keep forgetting he's still only 16.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm just waiting for Torgashev to finally skate like he can but he's a bit of a headcase when it comes to the jumps if he puts it all together he has everything really. But i keep forgetting he's still only 16.

And still recovering from a very serious injury that happened less than two years ago----that's why he doesn't have a 3a yet.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Phan scored only 183.67 at his first JGP. Torgashev scored over 200 at both of his events.

and of course, you forget to mention how much more Joseph scored in his second event... which is way higher than Andrew with 221 ... only 4 points away from Aleksei...

fine.... Jo had a meltdown at his first event and pretty much missed all his jumping passes. No need to tell me how the system works... I understand it clearly ... the point i am making is that Joseph is a much better skater than his score showed that time... and IMHO is better than some who are making it to the finals.

I know you will disagree with me, but if you are going to ask for an explanation about my disappointment, you have it... Joseph could easily have medaled in his first event and was in good position after the SP and blew it.... after having a clean event a few weeks before...

Joseph also can land quads and 3a... unlike some of the skaters who are ahead of him....

There you have it... I am disappointed that he had one tough skate..... as the other 3 were very good... I don't wish any harm to Andrew... but I would prefer seeing someone else there. The only American junior guy I really love watching is Camden.... so at least, he is in... and you know what, Joseph has better content than him too...

YMMV.... end of the story

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Andrew WOULD have better content at this time IF he hadn't sustained such a serious injury that kept him away from competition for an entire season. He had a very tough season last year and is still in recovery mode.

Anyway, it's great to have 'better content', but the thing is you have to be able to deliver your best content on a fairly consistent basis. Alexei, Camden and Andrew did that and Joseph didn't. That's why they are in the final and Joseph isn't.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Andrew WOULD have better content at this time IF he hadn't sustained such a serious injury that kept him away from competition for an entire season. He had a very tough season last year and is still in recovery mode.

as i said, nothing against Andrew. however, we could say the same about Tomo.... and we could say the same about many others who are going through injuries and growth spurt... though, when we mentioned Nic Nadeau's set backs, you were one of the ones saying his injury happened so long ago that we couldn't factor it. :confused:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I did say OSMOND's injury was more than two years in the past, but have never commented on Nadeau's injury.
Andrew's injury was so bad that there was considerable question that he wouldn't be able to return to figure skating.