2017 World Ladies FS | Page 110 | Golden Skate

2017 World Ladies FS

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Karen Chen's SP is very flat... even TAT recognized it.

No honey, her SP was the best of any lady this season, more attuned to the music and dedicated to living inside an honest, deep emotion than anyone else. TAT has little idea what she is talking about here, she's never been one to understand this kind of music, always favoring big and grandiose. Russian lady skaters have for some reason never been able to do spirals like the Americans either, so perhaps the magnificent one Karen did was triggering TAT.

millie

Medalist
Still, she again did not do a 7-triple program (never ever did) which in my mind throws her off as a contender for gold in Koera.

In my opinion, If Kaetlyn didn't loose A year and a half due to a broken leg, she would have came first. After the injury, she had to learn how to skate all over again and learn her jumps. She couldn't even stand on one foot. Look where she is today, a World Silver medalist. Yes she can build on what she and Ravi have accomplished this season and a great contender for Olympic podium.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Maybe already somebody told this. But I am too lazy to find out all the posts. Anna's problem, I think, was to end up 4th after the SP. She might have been too much thinking about she must be good to medal and after the first pump she was thinking that still more. IMO. She has done good in FS when she has been good in SP. She was good in SP this time too, but two other ladies were a little better. 4th or 5th place after SP mean meltdown in FS.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Pretty crazy you can score a 140 something with errors these days.

But let's be fair Sam, turning a triple into a double, can hardly be called "errors" - all her other jumping passes were completed. Was it a perfect skate, no, but her goal going into the last competition was to aim for excellence and not perfection.

Kaetlyn absolutely achieved her goal with 2 excellent skates, and deservedly earned her scores and the Silver medal.

Last edited:

Sackie

Medalist
Pretty crazy you can score a 140 something with errors these days.

These days?? - what about Ashley's Free at last year's worlds - she scored about the same for a program with only 5 clean triples - and she had a ! on one and 2URs on the other 2 she tried!

Aino

Rinkside
Thanks to Mai Mihara! Loved both the LP and the gala program. In the LP she reminds me of a japanese cartoon character (and then someone threw a Totoro to the ice :)) And she has speed! I found a new favourite.
I wish they had shown some compassion and invited Anna to the gala.

whatif

Medalist
I love Osmond and she is the only old lady who can beat Zhenya or Alina next year, I think. But she needs to ditch the programmes from the 80s with nothing between jumps. And stop doubling jumps. She just can not afford it.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
These days?? - what about Ashley's Free at last year's worlds - she scored about the same for a program with only 5 clean triples - and she had a ! on one and 2URs on the other 2 she tried!

That would also qualify as these days in the context of my statement.

FWIW: My comment was in reference to the scoring system and not the skaters. No need to be so defensive. It's just an opinion on judging trends.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Karen truly is a firecracker! I love her skating and that program had potential to be boring to no end and she kept me into it anyway. Her SP is a masterpiece...the FS is alright though ;)

I actually like Karen's LP a lot. It plays to her strengths. Even with the mistakes it was a compelling skate. Her elevation and ice coverage and flow on her jumps are very good.

I like her long program (and have always been impressed that she choreographed it herself), but I definitely felt it had much less energy here than at nationals. She just wasn't as free, as fierce or as sharp. I mean, StSq2? Jumps and ice coverage and spins, no disagreement. I can replay that 2A-1Lo-3S combo again and again and again...

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker

Sackie, did you ever know that you're my Hero? You don't say much but when you do..."it" always counts! Also, we are not in 'Bwaawston, anymowaah!' Enough said.

Last edited:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I love Osmond and she is the only old lady who can beat Zhenya or Alina next year, I think. But she needs to ditch the programmes from the 80s with nothing between jumps. And stop doubling jumps. She just can not afford it.

Gees whatif, have you been to church or confession today. You predicted both Kaetlyn and Gabby "to Bomb", in the LP, as per your posts. Looks like you are now a Believer. Welcome to the bandwagon and from the Dark side, as we always like to see new members.

Can I have a Hallelujah!

Last edited:

whatif

Medalist
Gees whatif, have you been to church or confession today. You predicted both Kaetlyn and Gabby "to Bomb", in the LP, as per your posts. Looks like you are now a Believer. Welcome to the bandwagon and from the Dark side, as we always like to see new members.

Can I have a Hallelujah!

Well, you need to check the history more. I always said Osmond is strong and even predicated her to actually lead after short here months ago but the history has not been on her side till today when it comes to LP. And I am still sceptical, one good "decent" showing does not make her consistent.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Well, you need to check the history more. I always said Osmond is strong and even predicated her to actually lead after short here months ago but the history has not been on her side till today when it comes to LP. And I am still sceptical, one good "decent" showing does not make her consistent.

Yes, Osmond to lead then Bomb wasn't it? Your predictions of their downfall still stands regardless of your new religion, so, I don't understand this new found joy in the results?

whatif, I am all about moving forward, and I hope your are also. One word of advice if I may; for future considerations (as I have told my friend chuckm many times), never underestimate a Canadian!

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

:laugh: YASSSS! Category is: Kaetlyn haterade revisionist realness, and you are out to snatch the damn crown. :laugh:

Please. She's had a GP win and two GP silvers this season, and you were predicting her to bomb the LP and she delivered. Much to your chagrin, I'm sure. Although I'm sure her doubling the loop is grounds for you and others to say she bombed, lol.

What I would have given to see your face when she won silver. :laugh:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Can I have a Hallelujah!

Amen! Haven't you heard... Kaetlyn's epic programs have exorcised the shady stankness from the worst of skater haters. And whatif, too. ;)

sowcow

On the Ice
(A)** Pretty crazy you can score a 140 something with errors these days.
(B) Exactly, which makes me think then if she had 7-triples and cleaner landings, she could be on Medvedeva's level scorewise. But so far I've never seen Osmond skating LP with 7-triples, not mentioning 7 clean triples.
(C) But let's be fair Sam, turning a triple into a double, can hardly be called "errors" - all her other jumping passes were completed.

(1) Osmond has powerful jumps, but her axis on them is so tilted I always wonder if she's going to complete her jumps cleanly.
(2) Still, she again did not do a 7-triple program (never ever did) which in my mind throws her off as a contender for gold in Koera.
(3)** Pretty crazy you can score a 140 something with errors these days.
(4) These days?? - what about Ashley's Free at last year's worlds - she scored about the same for a program with only 5 clean triples - and she had a ! on one and 2URs on the other 2 she tried!
(5)** That would also qualify as these days in the context of my statement. [...not really] .FWIW: My comment was in reference to the scoring system and not the skaters. [well ...sort of][SUP] 1[/SUP] . No need to be so defensive. [why not? It's justifiable] .It's just an opinion on judging trends. [well ...it wasn't really]

Sorry if this goes a bit overboard Sam-Skwantch (especially as I believe your comments are usually quite fair and balanced), but you have to admit that Sackie's reaction is entirely appropriate and legitimate, especially given the (your) context at the time...

The Context ...your several posts on the performances of the top skaters posted just prior to your remarks above (NB. - see below for the actual posts in their entirety):

• (i) Ashley: mostly praise (although you admit it was a 'tight' and 'flawed' skate)
  • (ii) Karen: mostly praise (although you admit thankfully "[she's a] firecracker" and was thus able to keep you interested in a program that is otherwise "boring to no end");
  • (iii) Zhenia: all praise (and how she "slay[ed] everyone at worlds")
  • (iv) Gabby: some praise, some criticism ("I'm just a bit meh. I'm probably in the minority but I don't really like her jumps...." "That said...it's kind of fun to watch a wildish skater perform so well and get rewarded for it")
  • (v) Kaetlyn: some 'general' praise ("Kaetlyn has it all and the potential to really be great...Very well rounded skater").but only criticism of her performance[SUP]1[/SUP] and the judges scores ("For me though....that particular FS wasn't very well executed and she got a monster score anyway. Those judges always think they know more than I do.")

(i)
Just watched Ashley's LP on NBC. Honestly tight or not and flawed or not this was my favorite of all her LPs and I think she connected with it beautifully. I hope she keeps it for next year but she most likely won't.
(ii)
Karen truly is a firecracker! I love her skating and that program had potential to be boring to no end and she kept me into it anyway. Her SP is a masterpiece...the FS is alright though ;)
(iii)
Always fun to watch Zhenia slay everyone at worlds. So much precision! It amazing and I think for the first time I actually enjoyed that FS as a program. Crowd gave her the credit she deserved for her effort too.

They skipped Anna? Probably for the best :cry:
(iv)
I've been hot/cold on Gabby.....now I'm just a bit meh. I'm probably in the minority but I don't really like her jumps and feel they disrupt the flow and character of her programs. To much up and not enough focus on the edge out but that's just my taste I guess. That said...it's kind of fun to watch a wildish skater perform so well and get rewarded for it. Good on her for seizing on the moment. Nice kid who probably worked her tail off-road get here. Congrats Gabby!

:clap:

Eta: Easy on the PCS judges :shocked:
(v)
Kaetlyn has it all and the potential to really be great. Love her jumps and smooth transitions into and out of the elements. Very well rounded skater. For me though....that particular FS wasn't very well executed and she got a monster score anyway. Those judges always think they know more than I do. Oh well. Scores are scores. Interesting to discuss but but unhealthy to dwell upon. To the Olympic season we go. :popcorn:

Just sayin'...
[As I "Preview Post" prior to hitting "Submit Reply"]: :giveup:
Apologies if this comes off as a targeted attack (it wasn't meant as such). Rather, it was meant as more of a "...come on, admit it" type rebuff to your reply to Sackie.