2017 World Ladies SP | Page 118 | Golden Skate

2017 World Ladies SP

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Why are Evgenia's jumps rated labored by quite a few people here? :confused: Yet, I can only hear compliments on her huge improvement over the past 2 seasons from most commentators, despite their nationality, who are much more professional than you guys, imo. To be honest, I am not her fan in the least, and her opening motions pretending innocence in the SP really annoy me, but overall her skating is of very high quality and the scores are quite acceptable. No matter what, people can always find something to pick & complain about. :shrug:

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Evegnia is such a stronger skater, but her programs are just so laughably bad it distracts from her skating. That skip-ropping. *face palm* Did Evegnia fill out within the last few months? She looks a lot less lanky.

Pogorilaya needs a spin coach ASAP.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Meds rippon was definitely a much welcomed change. When she skates I usually don't watch her anymore because it's becoming too 'the same' / monotonous. The song River Flows In You is such a nice song but Meds choreography could have been really better. Hopefully she will get a much better and more 'mature' choreo next time. No miming and stuffs.

I actually thought Mariah Bell did well. Just unfortunate she was on the earlier group.

I find Gabby's personality a bit strong. Almost like you don't want to be enemies with her cause she will rip you to shreads. Don't know how she is in real life though^^. I can definitely sense some rivalry between her and Kaetlyn. They are both good though.

Even if Mai and Wakaba would do well in FS, I think they would need those ahead of them to make mistakes. Kind of sad, but I have a feeling it will be just 2 spots for Japan next Olympics. It could be a good thing though cause everyone would need to compete harder and improve. It will break a lot of hearts though for those who will miss the spot in the Olympics.

Gabby is a super sweet lady off the ice, just the nicest. I love that she has the contrast between her on ice fiery personality and her off-ice chill and sweet. :thumbsup:

jaylee

Medalist
Performances by lesser-known skaters that I enjoyed: Kailani Craine and Anastasia Galustyan. The second half of Kailani's program was really fun, and it was great to see a skater enjoying herself and showing some personality and perk--nice contrast with the soft first half.

Anastasia's SP was better technically at Euros, where she attempted a 3Lz/3T (she landed hard on the 3Lz and opted for the 2T instead), but she is very expressive and pours emotion into her movement, which I appreciated.

marlet

Rinkside
I just saw Elizabet program, i wish she would get more pcs, it was so funny watching her in the kiss & cry, she was so shy and her mom is so lovely and excited:laugh:

Lissy

Medalist
I'm slowly but surely getting through all of the ladies shorts and I have a random suggestion for Mariah after watching her. I'd love to see her dye her hair a light caramel brown. I think the dark is lovely but a little harsh on her.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why are Evgenia's jumps rated labored by quite a few people here? :confused: Yet, I can only hear compliments on her huge improvement over the past 2 seasons from most commentators, despite their nationality, who are much more professional than you guys, imo. To be honest, I am not her fan in the least, and her opening motions pretending innocence in the SP really annoy me, but overall her skating is of very high quality and the scores are quite acceptable. No matter what, people can always find something to pick & complain about. :shrug:

I agree with you on at least four points.

1. That her jump quality is improved.
2. That the contrived pantomime is annoying.
3. That I am not a fan.
4. That her ranking and placement is deserved.

Note: You didn't state #4 directly, but I'm going out on a limb.

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
I agree with you on at least four points.

1. That her jump quality is improved.
2. That the contrived pantomime is annoying.
3. That I am not a fan.
4. That her ranking and placement is deserved.

Note: You didn't state #4 directly, but I'm going out on a limb.

Why going out on a limb? You are way too modest.

Krislite

Medalist
Late to the party. I'm very glad the Canadian ladies have done so well. I really appreciate how athletic they are with their technical content, big jumps and lots of speed.

I actually like Evgenia's short program, and she skated very well and polished here. I like her Rippon much better than her Tano, so there. :laugh:

Nika09

On the Ice
It's not always about difficult and clean program...I mean unless you are not judge or professional commentator who has to objectively commenting (of course they have their personal opinion too, but mostly prefer not talk about it) you can't just say I like her/him/them because this program is so difficult and elements performed as textbook...there's such a thing like subjective perception.
Well deserved (but little overscored though IMO) Medvedeva, but I still don't like her skating! Maybe lack of charisma or something...don't know can't explain. Just find it boring and annoying (yep this opening pantomime and tanos) to watch.

Anyway all the ladies put on their bests, well well done!

Poqorilaya in 4th place...it's not what I expected. But things could be little different after FS. Let's hope.

Last edited:

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I just can't ... I try ... but I can't get into Evgenia's skating. Something about her style doesn't ring true for me. I mean, she certainly is not a bad skater, I respect her abilities and her consistency.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Med isn't as slow as people make her out to be. She is light and not labored, in the fancam.
Of course I do think that her scores are too much but at the same time I can see quality in her elements and skating now.

Tyranid

Final Flight
The Russian federation VP Lakernick in charge of ISU had been gearing up for Russian 1, 2, 3 for a while. Let's see if this happens.
BTW, this information is incorrect. Lakernik left the FFKR VP seat in favor of the ISU VP seat. The assumption that he still favors Russia is an allegation without any real proof. We simply do not know his intentions.

Marius

Art on Ice
Final Flight
Thoughts after Ladies SP:
Evgenia: her best performance of the season. Well done, enjoyable. Should not have that lead over the others, but a good performance overall. Best rippon-skip of the rope I have ever seen :biggrin:
Kaetlyn: amazing jumping technique. When she is on, is absolutely fantastic. Everything beautifully executed, great speed over the ice and lovely choreography. Good performance :agree:
Gabrielle: just WOW at that 3T-3T! Her SP today was beautiful to watch: great speed from start to finish and beautiful details in choreography. Beautiful :luv17:
Anna: Gutsy performance. Best Step Sequence so far. Maturity and passion all over the ice. In the mix for the medals.
Karen: the 3T of the combination was definitely UR, but it was good to see a clean SP after US Nats - also one of the most beautiful SP of the year, for me.
Maria: Good recover for the Flip! She is a warrior. I don't see her with a medal, but she is a good competitor, so we will see.
Ashley: IMHO, after seeing Evgenia and, most of all, Gabrielle, she was very slower on the ice. Bad choreography, lot of two footed skating and standing. very questionable calls on the jumps - a strict caller probably would have called 3F<-3T< and 3Lo<. Good for her to be in 6th. As usual, one of the best in interpretation and performance.
Caro: What a shame about that FCSp! She lost the points to be in the last group with that. Fighting through the Flip and the double Axel. Great Step Sequence. Maybe not overscored, but some ladies were underscored, in comparison with her score. Goergeous 3T-3T and skating skills.
Wakaba: should be higher in the standing. A clean SP, with one of the most difficult Technical content, good spins and Steps, and amazing speed on the ice. Really can't see the 2 points difference in PCS with Karen and Maria, but also I don't understand that low TES. JSF should not push down talents like this.
Rika: surprisingly, highest PCS out of the 3 Japanese girls. Last group helps.
Mai: Go, Mai! Everyone know what you're capable of! She has the possibility to recover some positions with the FS.
Zijun: sad to see her in 20th place with an almost clean SP.
I will root for Japanese ladies in the FS. They still have a very little shot in earning those 3 spots. Hopefully they will have a clean FS :hap10:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Osmonds' short program is my fav for the season <3 . And Wagner's too!
First time I saw Mevdeyeva live, the program looks different than TV, but she is fast and airy, I liked Pogorilaya more maybe!
I forgot wakaba, haven't seen her before, I so loved her, the program, her posture<3

Last edited:

Aino

Rinkside
I don't get any feelings from Medvedevas performances and apparently it's the same for many people in the audience. There was silence during her performance. But for example Kaetlyn got loud cheers and clapping during her performance. And many other skaters got that too. Of course that doesn't matter, the audience is not judge.