2017 Worlds Helsinki Info and Chat | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Helsinki Info and Chat

Merjan

On the Ice
The weather in Helsinki has been so strange lately, in November we had about 20 cm of snow, at Christmas no snow and now + 4 C, Celcius. So it's really warm now. If the winter is coming late it could be cold in Feb-Mar. And the wind makes it feel colder. Happy New Year and welcome to Helsinki. I already have a teddy bear for Yuzuru.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
So... how often have they changed that practice schedule now? Might as well not look at the thing anymore until a week before Worlds start... :palmf:

Is this the first time they've mentioned Pirkkola as another practice rink? I guess they mean this place: http://www.hel.fi/www/helsinki/en/c...ng/pirkkola-sports-park-indoor-skating-rink-2
Hm. About 4km? Maybe more on foot. Quite inconvenient. But it's only a couple of practice sessions? (One of the Monday Pairs sessions, and one of the Tuesday Pairs sessions). I don't think I'll be attending those ones, and I hope they don't move any more sessions there...!

Last edited:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I don't think I'll be attending those ones, and I hope they don't move any more sessions there...!
I think only the ones in the main Hartwall arena are open to the public. The ones listed as being at the Practice rink and the Pikkola rink are very likely off-limits.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Temperature During Ice hockey games is said in Hartwall Arena´s site +17 Celsius "Alakatsomo", which probably means Ice Levels and +19 Celsius "Yläkatsomo" which must mean balcony. Words are not equal in Finnish and English but I think it is this way.

I have got my tickets. Made a little mistake shile buying them but got it repaired.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I think only the ones in the main Hartwall arena are open to the public. The ones listed as being at the Practice rink and the Pikkola rink are very likely off-limits.
Yes I expect so too, at least for the practice rink under the Hartwall arena - judging from photos/videos I've seen of it, it is not suitable for spectators. It has a cave-like appearance, with access via a tunnel that looks like it was carved out the rock (perhaps there are other entrances though?). And there doesn't appear to be any seating for spectators in there?

Hartwall Arena practice rink ("The Cave")

Last edited:

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Yes I expect so too, at least for the practice rink under the Hartwall arena - judging from photos/videos I've seen of it, it is not suitable for spectators. It has a cave-like appearance, with access via a tunnel that looks like it was carved out the rock (perhaps there are other entrances though?). And there doesn't appear to be any seating for spectators in there?

Lol...the image I'm getting from this description is hilarious.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
:-D

I added a video to my post, see it for yourself! They even call it "the cave"!

Ohh it looks kinda cool. So convenient that its right under the main rink and since its so enclosed it's probably easier to maintain good ice conditions.

khughes

On the Ice
You certainly won't need it to get around. ;-) But for me it's really to protect myself. At night, temperatures will likely drop below zero Celcius. Even if I don't need anything more than a warm coat inside the arena, outside, I'm gonna need more than just a warm coat. I don't go outside here at home in Holland in the winter months without gloves and shawl, either, and it's a lot warmer here than in Helsinki. If I do, I get dead fingers and toes. It's not nice. :noshake:
And I have had bad experience in a very cold arena; I'm simply not taking any chances, especially not considering I will be sitting still for hours on end. I'm sitting near to the ice, my legs will likely not be happy if I only wear a pair of jeans, even if the arena is supposed to be decently heated, even the website says you'd need a coat during ice hockey; I'd assume the same goes for figure skating events.
I am checking in a suitcase, I plan to use it. :laugh: Better to have stuff and not use it than the other way around. I'm not planning on buying a suitcase full of souvenirs, so... *shrug*

Oh, Winnie, I have Raynaud's too. Raynaud's is awful because once you're under attack, there is no way to warm up other than a hot bath! I'm planning on bringing all that you mention, but unlike you but I won't be packed till the last minute! Also, I'll be bringing those little packs of hand and toe warmers that you open and last for 8 hours. Have you tried them?

Lunna

On the Ice
I have a question (sorry, if already asked). On the ticket for practices it says 9 AM time and first practices starts earlier (6 or 8 AM). So does the entrance to the arena will be from 9 AM like on the ticket or I may come earlier?
And does Pasila train station or Hartwall arena has a locker room for baggage?

riminin

Rinkside

Hartwall Arena practice rink ("The Cave")

Yes, practice rinks are not open to the public, which is mentioned in the below (under the chapter "Venues").

http://static.isu.org/media/385949/wc2017_first-info_final.pdf

Rissa

Record Breaker

Yeah, the practice rink is underground and doesn't seem to have any seats for the public. :( I guess I won't be seeing Yuzuru in practice then, oh well. Does anyone want my practice tickets? :laugh:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Oh, Winnie, I have Raynaud's too. Raynaud's is awful because once you're under attack, there is no way to warm up other than a hot bath! I'm planning on bringing all that you mention, but unlike you but I won't be packed till the last minute! Also, I'll be bringing those little packs of hand and toe warmers that you open and last for 8 hours. Have you tried them?
I do get cold easily, but a Raynaud's "attack" is limited to the fingers and toes. I could never go under a shower then, way too painful! Quite literally all the blood supply to the fingers stop, freezing them. There is this image on wikipedia of two hands, one with Raynaud, the other normal, it is quite disturbing. Luckily, going back into a normal temperature room will help acclimatize again, and after fifteen-twenty minutes they go back to normal.
Heat packs are nice for when everything is cold, but very painful during an attack. :-(

I guess I won't be seeing Yuzuru in practice then, oh well. Does anyone want my practice tickets? :laugh:
You won't be there yet for the men's practices in the Hartwall arena earlier in the week? And the other one is like in the early early morning, that will be difficult if not impossible to attend for most people.
I wonder if it would be a complete waste of time and effort to write the organization and ask if they can schedule at least one men's practice in the Hartwall arena late in the week, too? I think they moved the Saturday one from Hartwall to the practice rink, that is really unfortunate for the fans who cannot be in Helsinki the entire week.

Violetti

On the Ice
I have a question (sorry, if already asked). On the ticket for practices it says 9 AM time and first practices starts earlier (6 or 8 AM). So does the entrance to the arena will be from 9 AM like on the ticket or I may come earlier?
And does Pasila train station or Hartwall arena has a locker room for baggage?

I found out this for you. There is no locker room for baggage at Pasila train station or Hartwall arena. But you can leave your baggage to the cloakroom (like coats, too) at clubrestaurant Colden Star Cafe at Hartwall arena. Costs something I think. This is their email if you would like to ask more [email protected]
There will be reshuffling at Pasila train station as they are building a huge shopping mall beside the station. (Not at the same side of the railroad as Hartwall arena.) It should not be a problem though.

Or you can leave your baggage at Helsinki Central Railway Station. It's only about five minutes from Pasila by train. There are lockers there, note the opening hours:

Luggage lockers, small 78 x 61 x 27 cm €4/24h, middle 90 x 61 x 46cm €6/24 h, big 90 x 86x 47 cm €8/24h. Locker hall is open daily at 5.20 - 23.00 hrs. For skies 90 x 37 x 200cm €8/ 24h. Maximum time of storage 4 days. https://www.vr.fi/cs/vr/en/helsinki_en

Last edited:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
And the other one is like in the early early morning, that will be difficult if not impossible to attend for most people.
The Thursday morning Men's practice starts early at 06:20... but it doesn't finish until about 9:30 (assuming 20 mins Zamboni before Pairs practice at 09:50)

There might be "interesting" skaters in the last practice group, if people can get there before 09:00? Or I guess 8:15-ish for the last-but-one group? That might be somewhat more practical and achievable? But it all depends on who is in which practice groups, and I guess we won't know until much closer to the competition...

In any case, schedules may change, so I wouldn't be too quick to dump any practice tickets...

I wonder if it would be a complete waste of time and effort to write the organization and ask if they can schedule at least one men's practice in the Hartwall arena late in the week, too?
It couldn't hurt to try. It's in their own interests after all... if more people have the opportunity to see Hanyu in practice*, they will surely sell more practice tickets...! Do they really say "no" to more money?! o_O

*yes, other men too, but we all know who "sells" the most! ;-D

Last edited:

Lunna

On the Ice
I found out this for you. There is no locker room for baggage at Pasila train station or Hartwall arena. But you can leave your baggage to the cloakroom (like coats, too) at clubrestaurant Colden Star Cafe at Hartwall arena. Costs something I think. This is their email if you would like to ask more [email protected]
There will be reshuffling at Pasila train station as they are building a huge shopping mall beside the station. (Not at the same side of the railroad as Hartwall arena.) It should not be a problem though.

Or you can leave your baggage at Helsinki Central Railway Station. It's only about five minutes from Pasila by train. There are lockers there, note the opening hours:

Luggage lockers, small 78 x 61 x 27 cm €4/24h, middle 90 x 61 x 46cm €6/24 h, big 90 x 86x 47 cm €8/24h. Locker hall is open daily at 5.20 - 23.00 hrs. For skies 90 x 37 x 200cm €8/ 24h. Maximum time of storage 4 days. https://www.vr.fi/cs/vr/en/helsinki_en
Thanks a lot for info! I'll go home right after Gala so the locker room at Pasila station will be more comfortable, but at least if I go back to the central station I'll waste not too much time.
But it's interesting will they let me in to the arena with just a big backpack?

Lunna

On the Ice
I wonder if it would be a complete waste of time and effort to write the organization and ask if they can schedule at least one men's practice in the Hartwall arena late in the week, too? I think they moved the Saturday one from Hartwall to the practice rink, that is really unfortunate for the fans who cannot be in Helsinki the entire week.
Maybe I can write too, cuz I wanted to arrive on Thusday morning around 9 AM and really hoped that Saturday men's practice will be open.

Rissa

Record Breaker
I do get cold easily, but a Raynaud's "attack" is limited to the fingers and toes. I could never go under a shower then, way too painful! Quite literally all the blood supply to the fingers stop, freezing them. There is this image on wikipedia of two hands, one with Raynaud, the other normal, it is quite disturbing. Luckily, going back into a normal temperature room will help acclimatize again, and after fifteen-twenty minutes they go back to normal.
Heat packs are nice for when everything is cold, but very painful during an attack. :-(

You won't be there yet for the men's practices in the Hartwall arena earlier in the week? And the other one is like in the early early morning, that will be difficult if not impossible to attend for most people.

I'm coming to Helsinki Tuesday evening, and I'm not getting up at a$$ o'clock in the morning even for Yuzu. :laugh: I think the Saturday could be theoretically rescheduled. I hope they'll do it. Theoretically, they could also switch Men and Ladies on Friday, but I don't think this change in gonna fly. Oh well, I just wish I had the option to buy cheaper tickets in my package.:shrug:

Last edited:

Rissa

Record Breaker

Violetti, thank you so much for your effort, I had the same problem, leaving right after the gala. That cloakroom at Hartwall sounds godsent.

swanswings

Spectator
Aw, please, PLEASE don't all of you press them to change the practice schedule... If it happened the way most of the customers want, it will probably mean switching main arena and practice arena between men and ice dance on 1st April... which means the dance teams will get one less chance to practice in the main arena, and it will do them a huge disservice :(
Right now all categories share the main arena quite fairly (men ladies and ID getting 3 sessions each and pairs 4) so I hope this does not change.
The athletes should always come first, IMHO, especially when OG slots are at stake.