2017 Worlds Men's FS | Page 77 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Men's FS

MIM

Medalist
Before I move on to the Free dance, I have to say that Misha's was the finest and the most moving performance. I was chocked by his performance. He and his skating is too precious.

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
We need some Chinese people here who knew the nuance of mandarin words to translate Boyang's answers. Thank you.

My uncle's wife is from China, but she's at their house, so not useful to any of us right now.

medvedevasocks

Match Penalty
Hanyu has a good chance to become the first man since Dick Button to defend his Olympic Gold medal, something the much more arrogant but far less talented Evgenia Plushenko was unable to do.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Spanish and Canadian judges :palmf: Embarrassment.

????

These two judges are the strictest overall, often the ones giving the lowest scores to most skaters. Judges from Japan, Israel, and Ukrain, OTOH, are the most generous across the board. The ones giving the highest scores to a skater is not always the one who placed him higher, and lower scores don't necessarily mean lower placement from the same judge.

Hanyu's is first unanimously and Uno is second by most except for the Australian judge who loved Jin, scoring him 94.50 PCS(!) and 2nd overall along with China. Spain had Fernandez 3rd and Patrick 4th while Canada had Chan 3rd and Fernandez 5th. Canadian judge didn't give Chan the highest GOE (though almost the highest) or the highest PCS. In fact, s/he gave his/her highest PCS to Uno while 5 other judges gave Chan higher PCS than the Canadian judge did.

Mixed opinions and some biases from the judges but these two being ":palmf: embarrassment"? Hardly.

apple123

On the Ice
There is no way Shoma beat Hanyu for the skate they put out. To be honest,Uno's jumps landings are so low and bizarre looking the GOEs are on the generous side big time already. I like his performance and skating skills, not his jumps

Glad I'm not the only one who does NOT drink the Uno Kool-Aid. Can you imagine a skater with such flawed jumps becomeschampion? All the kids will think pre-rotation is the way to go and cheat every jumps!

medvedevasocks

Match Penalty
????

These two judges are the strictest overall, often the ones giving the lowest scores to most skaters. Judges from Japan, Israel, and Ukrain, OTOH, are the most generous across the board. The ones giving the highest scores to a skater is not always the one who placed him higher, and lower scores don't necessarily mean lower placement from the same judge.

Hanyu's is first unanimously and Uno is second by most except for the Australian judge who loved Jin, scoring him 94.50 PCS(!) and 2nd overall along with China. Spain had Fernandez 3rd and Patrick 4th while Canada had Chan 3rd and Fernandez 5th. Canadian judge didn't give Chan the highest GOE (though almost the highest) or the highest PCS. In fact, s/he gave his/her highest PCS to Uno while 5 other judges gave Chan higher PCS than the Canadian judge did.

Mixed opinions and some biases from the judges but these two being ":palmf: embarrassment"? Hardly.

Good breakdown, as long as you are reasonably consistent that is fine. Some judges are just harsher to the field in general, and some are more leanient. Again as long as you are consistent. In a sport that still has Alla Shekhovtseva, Yuri Balkov, Marie Le Gougne, Didier Gaiguerhuet, Tatiana Danilenko heavily involved it is hard to call any Canadian or Spanish judge as embarassing.

medvedevasocks

Match Penalty
Poor Jason Brown, had he peaked when Lysacek did he would have been World and Olympic Champion every year minus 2008 where he would settle for silver behind the gorgeous Jeffrey Buttle.

chairmanmao

Final Flight
Sad for Javi but saw this a mile away. Ten plus points is insignificant for the men and their TES nowadays. Javi was not as lucky as Hanyu when he bomb last year to grab silver. He could have placed over Boyang if he'd just been a little bit better but Jin deserves this medal after a season of being cast aside all season by the judges and he fully deserves that PCS. I'd given him higher honestly. That said I see Hanyu has another tainted World Championship win. He should have never won in 2014 and Uno for me is the champion for this year. Machida and Uno can now console each other in their common fate.

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Where did that speed come from on his final spin? That was great kevin, maybe a few urs....kevin seems to deliver when things are on the line... nice job!!!

Kevin is another quiet assassin - he usually completes what he tries and can have a lot of quiet difficulty in his spins and footwork. I'd like to see him bring back the chambermaid swing sp from 2012 with the one footed footwork sequences. The program was a bit more extroverted and showed off his skills a bit better.

medvedevasocks

Match Penalty
One thing I never thought I'd see at a World Championships was people declaring Patrick's PCs were too low. Next you'll try to tell me Canada got two ladies on the podium ... oh wait

I dont think they were too low when you compare to what Hanyu and even Uno got for their skates. They were definitely too low compared to what Fernandez got for his skate. I honestly thought Fernandez's would even be yet another 2-3 points higher (maybe equal to Hanyu's as ridiculous as that would be for their skates tonight) for one reason- to still keep him on the podium over Boyang. Thank goodness they didnt go out of their way to that extent to make that happen as I would have guessed them doing before his marks came up.

Poor Javi, he is still probably my favorite male skater, I hope he can recover from this. I want him to win an Olympic medal next year super badly, any color at all. It was a joke he lost the bronze to Ten in Sochi, it was the judges make up gift to Ten for the 2013 worlds.

medvedevasocks

Match Penalty
Wasn't Hanyu written off just like few days ago ?:biggrin:

I predicted he would have a great skate and win atleast silver (since I predicted a clean skate by him gauranteed him passing even clean skates by Uno and Chan, and of course beating out even a clean 6 or whatever # of triple Chen) and gold if Fernandez didnt skate perfectly (or close to it) so I wasnt writing him off ever even after the short. Look back in my posts.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
MY DREAM PODIUM!!!! I CANT BELIEVE!!!!!
Yuzu and Shoma should get double gold while they get married on that podium!!!!!!!!!!

omg what an event i am so happy after the ladies disaster

Did you see Yuzuru wanted to tie the knot on at the medal ceremony again...hehe...these two. I'm glad that they are so friendly with one another.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Just stopping in to say Hanyu!! That was some program, that is the stuff dreams are made of. He is light as a feather. Unbelievable!!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I dont think they were too low when you compare to what Hanyu and even Uno got for their skates. They were definitely too low compared to what Fernandez got for his skate. I honestly thought Fernandez's would even be yet another 2-3 points higher (maybe equal to Hanyu's as ridiculous as that would be for their skates tonight) for one reason- to still keep him on the podium over Boyang. Thank goodness they didnt go out of their way to that extent to make that happen as I would have guessed them doing before his marks came up.

Poor Javi, he is still probably my favorite male skater, I hope he can recover from this. I want him to win an Olympic medal next year super badly, any color at all. It was a joke he lost the bronze to Ten in Sochi, it was the judges make up gift to Ten for the 2013 worlds.

No, that's not true. It was Javier's fault for zayaking. As much as I am not a fan of Denis Ten, he delivered at the Olympics.

medvedevasocks

Match Penalty
Uno is such a cute little thing. I think he looks up to Hanyu as his big brother figure and role model. Does anyone know if Hanyu plans to continue past 2018 or not? I could see him going to 2020 maybe but probably not to 2022. Japanese mens skating will still be in great hands once he goes though . Uno is definitely a future multi World Champion IMHO.

medvedevasocks

Match Penalty
No, that's not true. It was Javier's fault for zayaking. As much as I am not a fan of Denis Ten, he delivered at the Olympics.

I know he lost the bronze mostly through technicalities, but alot of the technicalities are stupid COP based rules IMO.

Ten didnt really deliver at the Olympics at all, nothing like he delivered at the 2013 worlds where he was indeed highway robbery robbed of the gold medal (hence my make up gift comment). His short program at the Games sucked which is why he didnt make the final flight even though Hanyu and Chan had the only clean shorts of the contenders, an his long program was zzzz and had 2 significant mistakes at the end. That isnt really delivering, he just got the bronze as a best of a bad bunch type scenario, and I dont think he was even that.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Glad I'm not the only one who does NOT drink the Uno Kool-Aid. Can you imagine a skater with such flawed jumps becomeschampion? All the kids will think pre-rotation is the way to go and cheat every jumps!

Yes, and he will be in the mix for an Olympic Gold. That must hurt big time! Poor you.