2018 Europeans Ladies SP | Page 63 | Golden Skate

2018 Europeans Ladies SP

lavoix

Match Penalty
I would not rush it. Perfectly clean Medvedeva and Zagitova will both have about the same: 80 - 81. Let's see how the free will turn out.

Yea, Medvedeva had quite a big error on the 2A, otherwise her score would have been huge. She got so much more height on her jumps here than any other competition this season. Spins and dance were also more crisp.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I'm kinda sad for her that she wasted this brilliant moment on such a "meh" crowd. :disapp: Hopefully she can repeat it at the Olympics where it will be more appreciated. :)

Aren't you tired spreading this lie? I was there - I was standing. The moment Caro finished the noize was above 100 dB. Please, stop now.

Globetrotter

Medalist
About Carolina, I really agree with her PCs, and grateful that she have added that essential 3-3. BUT, her GOE and TR are a joke. The people who say that Caro must have been second in the SP must be realistic. Caro's score is the maximum she can aspire to yet having such a simple design, without transitions and complexity. She is an excellent interpreter, and I don't complain about her 10, I think she deserves it, but even skating clean, that program doesn't deserve to beat Evgenia or Alina.

Alina, finally a clean SP! Congratulations! God, I'm afraid. She took advantage of Evgenia's little mistake, unfortunately this is the way of the sport. I think she didn't deserve those two 10 in pcs, it's an absurdity. I like Alina, but giving her those 10 so soon will be detrimental to her development. Evgenia received 10 only at 17. I think inflation was shameless.But, good job, Alina.she executed her technical content cleanly.

I like the three girls, Alina is a technical treasure, Carolina an artist, but I feel that Evgenia is the complete package.

Respectfully have to disagree partially. Rewatched all the top 6 SP 3 times. CaroK does not have the same quantity or type of TR as Zhenya or Zagi. She just used more upper body movements instead with good quality. It takes great balance and bladework to not fall over with such changes in weight distribution. Zhenya is back after a while but she wasn’t at her usual confidence, notwithstanding that 2A step out. The performance was somehow missing what I had seen previously. I think the PE and IN were too high and only given as such based on reputation. Scoring should really be based on what was put on the ice. Zagi otoh had clearly improved and gotten more comfortable with this SP. She now has better projection but the same rushed and unfinished fluster is still there. To me it is not a 9s deserving IN and CO at all, max low 8s but her PE certainly had improved and that deserves 9. Unfortunately, I think neither Zhenya nor Zagi has SS that are 9s - neither of them have the deep edges, glide and turns. They have a lot of difficult moves in between I agree, but maybe I am old school and I think it’s the basic bladework that should matter SS wise. They deserve high TR for the sheer quantity but not the SS which IMO should only be like low 8s max. Yet they are scored at or higher than CaroK who is unsurpassed when it comes to the glide and edges and turns. Neither of the top 2 deserve the GOEs on the StSq - the edges were really modest and they took so long to get to Level 4 while CaroK’s steps were done in like 36s. It was obvious visually who had the best footwork but the GOE scoring on steps and SS was not reflective of a difference between good and very good.

rhubarb

Rinkside
Guys, guys.

Why all the Carolina hate?

Yes, i agree Alina and Med have better components, but Carolina is a pioneer to modern skating. Plus, who knows when she will retire?(Probably soon):sad4:

Given how she skates her free, i'm hoping she can take home bronze.:pray::agree:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
While I agree the Russian fans are louder in Russia the judging has been most favorable to Carolina.

I got to review her performance and she seems to generously marked on the GOE's. And we often think of her as a PCS performance but the program - transition and choreo should receive much lower. The judges will hold her up but I hope she does not take this as a sign she should keep skating competitively after the olympics. It isn't fair she get to rest on her laurels so to speak. She has many wonderful traits but watch closer or be fair and you will see there are some areas she is generously marked considering her tech elements including spins and j umps as well as pc wise when you break down the sections she has been generous "blessed" or gifted. nevertheless i have always though she had an elegance. But the top 3 are in a battle royale and then there is poor bland Maria. Kind of the oh so close but - so far behind the royal family above and killing those below.

frallik

Match Penalty
No, not today. :roll5:
Most of the competitions this season - yes, but today she finally brought her forgotten soul on the ice, it was clearly visible in slowmo. Imho, it was a breakthrough performance for her, no matter what'll happen in the long.
I saw artistry and individuality in her, we may argue how much of it, but it was definitely there. :thumbsup:

In AZ skatin magic involved in the story, like the story itself, is missing. The object goes out to a point at the speed of light. Space. Total entropy.

curious

Final Flight
While I agree the Russian fans are louder in Russia the judging has been most favorable to Carolina.

I got to review her performance and she seems to generously marked on the GOE's. And we often think of her as a PCS performance but the program - transition and choreo should receive much lower. The judges will hold her up but I hope she does not take this as a sign she should keep skating competitively after the olympics. It isn't fair she get to rest on her laurels so to speak. She has many wonderful traits but watch closer or be fair and you will see there are some areas she is generously marked considering her tech elements including spins and j umps as well as pc wise when you break down the sections she has been generous "blessed" or gifted. nevertheless i have always though she had an elegance. But the top 3 are in a battle royale and then there is poor bland Maria. Kind of the oh so close but - so far behind the royal family above and killing those below.

They are in an all out war. I think the judges really want to challenge them to come out with their absolute best skate. It was truly the electrifying short program of the season.a mni olys.

tars

Record Breaker
In AZ skatin magic involved in the story, like the story itself, is missing. The object goes out to a point at the speed of light. Space. Total entropy.
Well, I've seen the movie, I've seen the skate and I've seen the whole drama throughout Alina's performance. Goosebumps. :drama:

frallik

Match Penalty
TOTALLY agree. I can't wait for those two to become seniors. They are the only ones who don't skate like Eteri skaters.
"like Eteri skaters":dumb:- they ARE Etery:pray:skaters. She's the only:yes2:coach for them. There is Sofay Akateyva 10 y.o. - you have to wait till:coffee:2026... Enjoy:hap93:your life now. Please do not anger the Lord!!!:dev2:

frallik

Match Penalty
Well, I've seen the movie, I've seen the skate and I've seen the whole drama throughout Alina's performance. Goosebumps. :drama:

Seen live as a light grey cloud with lightning streaks suddenly materialized above the rim so the next time to zip past with a steel whistle...

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Regardless of my preferences, I have to say that Zagitova's duck program was quite nice. The step sequence was pretty special and I'm in love with her music edit. Brilliant interpolation of the Moonlight soundtrack there. Kudos to the editor. 3Lz+3Lo was badass and the double arm 3F was fantastic. 2A technique is terrible, but I love her spiral transition out of it. PCS were coo-coo for cocoa puffs though. Very fun for her to make things interesting instead of just handing Evgenia the gold next month.

Medvedeva's Chopin is probably my least favorite of all her senior short programs; it's also criminal that she's virtually tied with Kostner's PCS. I'm excited to see her free though because it's probably her most charming routine ever. I hope she can pull it out for the gold.

Carolina 'farfallina' (butterfly) Kostner was transcendent. Regal, like 'la regina' that she is. Utterly majestic. I think she just might pull out another medal at the Olympics which would be insane. If she medals on Saturday, she will have 11 straight European medals--just unreal. To mimic the words of Pogorilaya, "Kostner shows that ladies skating still has a chance".

Sotskova: Without the jumps there really isn't much to talk about. Impressive she pulled out a triple-triple after her lutz failed her but meh. This is the competition where she started to fall apart last year, right? Seems to be a "first half of the season" kind of girl.

Very nice to see a real battle for the top spot; watching it pan out will be a fun way to start out my Saturday! Should be able to live watch since the second group of women will start just before 10am, San Francisco time.

frallik

Match Penalty
Shcherbakova and her are definitely the frontrunners for me when it comes to full backloading that's enjoyable to watch. Medvedeva nor Zagitova do it nearly as well IMO. Especially the first half of Zagitova's FS is very ... meh.

... do you remember how the noble bird fatally struck by a steel beak?

shine

Record Breaker
"like Eteri skaters":dumb:- they ARE Etery:pray:skaters. She's the only:yes2:coach for them. There is Sofay Akateyva 10 y.o. - you have to wait till:coffee:2026... Enjoy:hap93:your life now. Please do not anger the Lord!!!:dev2:
I know? And I'm thankful they, for some mysterious and amazing reasons, don't skate like another one of those 2034982394 teenage jumping beans being churned out by the Eteri's teenage figure skater manufacturing plant.

Teddy99

Rinkside
Respectfully have to disagree partially. Rewatched all the top 6 SP 3 times. CaroK does not have the same quantity or type of TR as Zhenya or Zagi. She just used more upper body movements instead with good quality. It takes great balance and bladework to not fall over with such changes in weight distribution. Zhenya is back after a while but she wasn’t at her usual confidence, notwithstanding that 2A step out. The performance was somehow missing what I had seen previously. I think the PE and IN were too high and only given as such based on reputation. Scoring should really be based on what was put on the ice. Zagi otoh had clearly improved and gotten more comfortable with this SP. She now has better projection but the same rushed and unfinished fluster is still there. To me it is not a 9s deserving IN and CO at all, max low 8s but her PE certainly had improved and that deserves 9. Unfortunately, I think neither Zhenya nor Zagi has SS that are 9s - neither of them have the deep edges, glide and turns. They have a lot of difficult moves in between I agree, but maybe I am old school and I think it’s the basic bladework that should matter SS wise. They deserve high TR for the sheer quantity but not the SS which IMO should only be like low 8s max. Yet they are scored at or higher than CaroK who is unsurpassed when it comes to the glide and edges and turns. Neither of the top 2 deserve the GOEs on the StSq - the edges were really modest and they took so long to get to Level 4 while CaroK’s steps were done in like 36s. It was obvious visually who had the best footwork but the GOE scoring on steps and SS was not reflective of a difference between good and very good.
This!