2018 Europeans Mens FS | Page 55 | Golden Skate

2018 Europeans Mens FS

charlotte14

Medalist
Yes, his achievements are really impressive, 6 consecutive European titles!!! Nobody else has done it during the time I have followed figure skating = since early sixties... Plushenko won 6 titles altogether, but they were not consecutive.
It simply means the current European men are too weak.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I´m, glad that Javi won the title again, but had hoped for a much better performance from him at this point with the Olympics so close. Anyway, this was his best freeskate performance of the season. I just really wonder, will there be enough time for him to be completely ready next month???

ramed

On the Ice
Country
Russia
If Dima could spin like Deniss and Deniss could jump quads like Dima, they would both be absolutely perfect. Nobody is perfect though, alas.
A popular Russian adage says, "Had grandma got dick, she'd be grandpa". :) Sorry couldn't resist.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I´m, glad that Javi won the title again, but had hoped for a much better performance from him at this point with the Olympics so close. Anyway, this was his best freeskate performance of the season. I just really wonder, will there be enough time for him to be completely ready next month???

The free skate is his Nemesis this season, it seems. But it's been the best one he did so far and that gives hope that he can medal at the Olympics. Gold will be hard, even if clean. It's weird how few scores over 300 have been reached before the Olympics. I thought it would be the norm by now, but I guess not.

Mussique

On the Ice
It simply means the current European men are too weak.

For six consecutive years? Well, that's kind of rude for everyone, what a way to dismiss accomplishments!
If we agree that Plushenko had a stronger field of competitors, then let's check his combined scores on his golds in his last four European Championships:

2004: 227.14
2005: 245.33
2009: 255.39
2011: 261.23

This are Javi's combined scores in his European Golds.

2013: 274.87
2014: 267.11
2015: 262.49
2016: 302.77
2017: 294.84
2018: 295.55

Now, we can all agree on:

1) there has been an enormous inflation of scores over the years (I'm not intending to compare Plushy and Javi!! I'm just referring Plushy scores because he was the strongest European for years as well)
2) the stronger competitors right now are definitely not European.
3) we haven't yet seen Javi's best this season and this score won't be enough for either World or Olympics.

But dismiss the fact that he has been able to remain on top of the European field for 6 years straight as "the European field is too weak"? Let me respectfully disagree!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
But dismiss the fact that he has been able to remain on top of the European field for 6 years straight as "the European field is too weak"? Let me respectfully disagree!

Well put, Mussique! Besides, those European titles are not Javi´s only accomplishments, he has also won Worlds twice, gotten various medals from GPF and two Worlds bronze medals and 7 gold medals from GP events plus other medals.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
Majorov made a strong case for himself today. He was definitely a standout in the FS. I really hope that they send him. If they don't at this point can Julian Yee still go?
Julian Yee from Malaysia is already qualified. I'm Msian, it was in the news when he qualified via Nebelhorn Trophy. It's big since Julian is the 1st ever figure skater from my country to qualify for Olympics.

Next in line is Martinez from Philipines, another South East Asian skater.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Julian Yee from Malaysia is already qualified. I'm Msian, it was in the news when he qualified via Nebelhorn Trophy. It's big since Julian is the 1st ever figure skater from my country to qualify for Olympics.

Next in line is Martinez from Philipines, another South East Asian skater.
Thanks for correcting me. Whoops! I knew that, but apparently my brain wasn't functional!
So I guess the question is can Martinez still go if Sweden gives back the spot?

Icey

Record Breaker
Aliev was the performance of the comp for me. Too bad he doubled those last two jumps

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I think Javier is an outstanding competitor but if he had not gone to Brian Orser, do you think he would be as successful as he has been? Do you think he'd be a 6-time champion under Morozov? I think there is not a lack of talent in European men, but in order to be a successful top athlete, it takes a lot of stars aligning and all the right kinds of support on a longterm basis. Deniss and Dima both seem to be with the right coaches for them, who make them a top priority and are 100% invested in their success. Hopefully this bodes well for their futures. And of course, they need to be lucky enough to avoid any serious injury as Javi has managed to do. Luck and timing matter a lot in skating. I also hope more of the younger skaters from small feds will be able to develop before it's too late. It's just incredibly difficult when you don't have the resources for high level training.

Florian

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Of course Javi didn't have the competition Plushenko had, but he was always so far away from the rest and with such high scores and also able to win the worlds despite of the great competition there that one can safely assume that he would have won these six title with stronger competition too.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Of course Javi didn't have the competition Plushenko had, but he was always so far away from the rest and with such high scores and also able to win the worlds despite of the great competition there that one can safely assume that he would have won these six title with stronger competition too.

Javier was also doing way more than Plushenko did in his Euro wins from a difficulty and program content perspective. Even with inflated PCS, Fernandez would have easily beat him and arguably Aliev could have edged him out too.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Thanks for correcting me. Whoops! I knew that, but apparently my brain wasn't functional!
So I guess the question is can Martinez still go if Sweden gives back the spot?

Yeah, that's actually a big puzzle for me because Martinez WDed from his Nationals. I am not sure what's the story there.

But I'm hoping Majorov will go, and SNOC has seen the light.

rosacotton

Final Flight

With how crazy and unpredictable things have panned out for the men so far this season, I'd say anything is possible at this point.

mrrice

Record Breaker
What happened to Mikhail??? I saw that he took 5th in the free and missed the podium...I still love him but, I'm sad for him. I feel like he needed momentum heading into Korea....

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
What happened to Mikhail??? I saw that he took 5th in the free and missed the podium...I still love him but, I'm sad for him. I feel like he needed momentum heading into Korea....

Mikhail was 3rd overall, 3rd in the free. He took bronze. :confused:
Do you mean Deniss? There was nothing he could've done, even if he had gone clean and scored like 170 or something Mikhail would still have been ahead. It's okay. It's not his time yet.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Mikhail was 3rd overall, 4th in the free.
Do you mean Deniss? There was nothing he could've done, even if he had gone clean and scored like 170 or something Mikhail would still have been ahead. It's okay. It's not his time yet.

Yes, I meant Denis. He was second after the short, right?